Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Well gently caress. One of my best Army buddies just died over the weekend on Mt Rainier. He spent nearly every waking moment in the outdoors, I'm sure he did everything right that he possibly could have. He was one of the first guys I met at my unit and got me started going out into the mountains.

Stay safe out there guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

poo poo was that the guy that the Mt Rainier NP Facebook just posted about yesterday, that fell into the crevasse and they can't recover the body since it's too dangerous?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Yep, that's him.

There's still 2 other dudes missing up there too.

I see Rainier nearly every day as long as there isn't too much cloud cover, it's strange looking at it now and knowing one of my friends died up there.

He spent all of his free time in the mountains though, I can't think of a place he'd rather be if it was the last thing he ever did.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Sorry for your loss :(

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

poo poo man, condolences, that's a shock to have happen.

It is a good final resting place though.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

The Rat posted:

poo poo man, condolences, that's a shock to have happen.

It is a good final resting place though.

Seconding. That's a terrible surprise. At least he died doing what he loved.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

what was he doing, rock climbing?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Need a suggestion for softshell jacket for my wife

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Back country skiing, he frequently drove to various mountains to hike up them and then ski back down.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Sorry for your loss.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Mustang posted:

Back country skiing, he frequently drove to various mountains to hike up them and then ski back down.

god that's terrifying

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Sorry to hear that, dude. :(

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

From the match last weekend

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I did one of the taller mountains in Utah this week and it was cold and windy

It was snowing too as you can see from this top notch view from the top

This was about 4 miles of high altitude ridge that I needed to walk across to get back to my truck

4 layers, hand warmers, foot warmers, and I was just warm enough

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Found a bird today trying to eat a fish that was entirely too big for its beak :laffo:

It struggled with it for a few minutes, I didn’t have time to watch it and what I was supposed to be doing. I think the bird figured it out though, didn’t see the fish again after that 😋

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Another, from this morning. She crawled up, decided “Nope, not today.” and crawled on back to the water :unsmith:

First turtle nests should be hatching around the 15th, with pics to follow :)

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Apologies for the lovely camera work - the wind was insane and by the end I was steadying it with one hand as best I could

Sunset over the northernmost point in NZ

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCNZbSkgioI/?igshid=1eruvnul3eokq

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
That's an awesome catch.

but the slenderman vibrating in and out of phase on the right side of the hill is freaking me out.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Hotel Kpro posted:

I did one of the taller mountains in Utah this week and it was cold and windy

It was snowing too as you can see from this top notch view from the top

This was about 4 miles of high altitude ridge that I needed to walk across to get back to my truck

4 layers, hand warmers, foot warmers, and I was just warm enough

This looks like a boatload of fun. I like walking around at high altitude even though I run out of breath very quickly.

The weekend's hikes.

Snow lake.

Pano shot of Snow lake, the original is enormous since I made it out of 11 vertical hi-res shots.

Waterfall below Snow lake.

Lake Agnes. Really liked how the clouds were this morning, very painterly.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I caught a great sunrise shot while I was up north too

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Niiiiiiiice

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Ahhhhh nature

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

Went to Grand Tetons and Yellowstone NP a couple of weeks ago. It was my fourth trip to the area and I camped in Colter Bay this time. I had reservations in Yellowstone for a few more days but I saw little social distancing and few masks at Yellowstone so I cancelled. Grand Tetons is my favorite park for wildlife. Saw several brown and black bear, and the usual elk, moose, and bighorns.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I've only been to the Tetons once. Would like to go back someday. You got some good pics!

Yesterday I took a vacation day because gently caress it, not like I can travel anywhere anyways. Went up to Emmaline lake for some stupidity.

First waterfall on the way up.

Second waterfall.

Pano shot of Emmaline lake.

Normal shot of Emmaline lake.

At this point I was thinking that as a conditioning exercise, I could try scrambling up above Emmaline lake to the ridgeline by Comanche peak, and then following that down to the Mummy pass trail and then back to the trailhead. This was about 2/3 of the way up.

Pano at another point up above.

When I crested the rise just before the flat spot below Comanche peak, a huge gust of wind blew my hat off and back down the mountainside. The wind didn't quit, and I couldn't see a reasonably safe spot to scramble up from where I was. Took the hat blowing down as an omen and went back down. Even managed to find my hat!

Cirque lake in the afternoon clouds.

Legs are feeling pretty beat up today. The trail to Emmaline is 6.5 miles one way, with 2.2k ft elevation gain. It was roughly 800 ft gain from the lake to the point that I decided to turn around. Most of the way up and down was talus slope with various sizes of rock.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Unfuckingreal.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Fire on the rim and a comet passing by:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Nice!

I have yet to see the comet here. :(

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

The Rat posted:

Nice!

I have yet to see the comet here. :(

My wife wants to go comet hunting one night while we’re up here in VT so wish us luck. If we get something good I’ll be sure to share it.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Fingers crossed! I was sleeping in my car at a trailhead last night and again didn't see it.

Did around 16ish miles today up in the mountains. 3-gun tomorrow. Will get pics processed/posted once I'm not pooped.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
The comet was fairly hard to see with the naked eye when I looked for it. If nobody told you there was a comet out there I doubt the vast majority of people would notice it, at least under the conditions I had.

Was that a long exposure time Acebuckeye or was it just a lot more visible where you were?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

my kinda ape posted:

The comet was fairly hard to see with the naked eye when I looked for it. If nobody told you there was a comet out there I doubt the vast majority of people would notice it, at least under the conditions I had.

Was that a long exposure time Acebuckeye or was it just a lot more visible where you were?

It was a ~20, 25 second exposure, yeah. It was definitely visible but pretty dim, and easy to miss unless you knew exactly where it was. It could have been worse, though - I got that picture on Thursday night, but I also went out Wednesday morning and though I got some good shots, I literally could not see the comet until I started taking long exposures like this one:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Oh and also, saw some of these guys today:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I've got an evening shift babysitting sea turtle nests twice next week, and one of those nights is supposed to be the best night for the comet. I'll take a spotting scope and see what I can come up with :)

Speaking of which...no baby sea turtles just yet. 1st nest is overdue (but the cool temps in the early season seem to make this be the case more often than not), 2nd one is coming up on due...so they'll be here sooner or later at least :)

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I've been doing a lot more exploring of central oregon this summer, and this was the first time I decided to whip out my phone and share my bounties.

Green Lakes trail, a roughly ~5 mile hike up about 1500 feet to a lake at 6800 feet of elevation in the Deschutes national forest. We apparently went on a slow day, with only 10-15 cars parked on the road before the trailhead turn off. Apparently it's not uncommon to have 70-80 cars just parked along the highway for people to get to the trail.

Central Oregon is the best

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Nice! Whip out your phone more often while you're out there.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

So in bad news this weekend, I got my first ever DQ at a shooting match. Was at 3-gun going through a stage, reloaded my shotgun, and when I flipped it back over and brought it up, either my finger or my chest rig hit the trigger and it fired. Was a pretty big gently caress moment. Guess there's a first time for everything. Just gotta learn from it and not do it again.

Part of the reason I was so off on the match was I had only about 4 hours of sleep, and that the day before, I did a roughly 16 mile, 3k ft gain hike in the Rawahs. Was boots on trail just before 6AM, and got back to the car just after 6PM.

I went about it slightly different from my usual southern Rawah loop, which involves going to Twin Crater Lakes first, then scrambling up the ridge on their southern shores, then down and over to Carey, Island and Timber lakes before hopping back on the trail back. Because that ridge south of Twin Crater Lakes is much steeper on the northern side than the southern side, and since it's still early enough in the summer that a lot of snow was bound to be present, I did the loop reversed. Timber lake first, then Island and Carey lakes, then up onto that saddle above Twin Crater Lakes, then down to the Twin Crater Lakes themselves and back. In terms of navigation, it went swimmingly apart from slightly overshooting my nav towards the waterfall coming off of Timber lake, and the general slogging tiredness that comes with going up steep hills at high elevation.

Rough route plan, courtesy of google maps and paint.

Another thing I did different was use my 12-40 lens the whole time, rather than sticking with my 7-14 wide angle for the most part. I did this because I knew I wanted the 12-40 for a pano shot from up on that saddle, and thought, hey, let's see how feasible it would be to do pano shots of the lakes close up and not have to change lenses.

Base of the waterfall coming off of Timber lake.

Continuing to scramble up the waterfall.

Timber lake, pano shot.

Island lake, pano shot.

Carey lake, normal shot.

From atop the saddle looking south. I took a pano here last year when the clouds were really lame and wanted to come back when they would be nicer. I am happy with the result. The original combined pano shot is 31279x10078 pixels.

Wait what's that little black nub hiding in the rocks on the right?

OH LOOK IT'S A PIKA

Southern of the Twin Crater Lakes.

Northern of the Twin Crater Lakes, looking south, pano shot. If you see that big ol' blotch of snow about 1/3 of the way on that saddle, I slid on my rear end down at least half of that. It was fun. :haw:

Northern of the Twin Crater Lakes, normal shot.

Angry marmot!

He was not a very cooperative model.

So now after having done all those pano shots, here's my thinking out loud about the pros and cons.
Pros: More resolution, more detail, less lens changes. Am very happy with how the shot off of the saddle came out.
Cons: More setup time, more processing time, can make for some wonkiness when it comes to shifting shadows due to cloud movement or water movement in lakes. Not sure I like the look of the panos of things up close, though it definitely works for farther shots. Takes significantly longer to take 8-16 shots to make up a single pano image, especially in conjunction with the Olympus hi-res mode shots, which means I don't get as much choice when it comes to waiting on light/clouds/shadows to hit just so before hitting the shutter button. Using the 12-40 lens as a general purpose lens means more difficulty in setting up Waldo shots compared to the wide angle, since I have to set it further away from the camera.

I think the 12-40 still definitely has uses, but I feel like I just like the 7-14 wide angle more for most of the shots I do.

Now yes I realize this is an Arby's drive up, so can I have a pizza slider and a buffalo chicken slider please?

The Rat fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 20, 2020

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJgtoiErtOY

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I wasn’t there to see them hatch, but I found their tracks this morning :)

Almost 50 little friends made their way to the waterline. The rest will probably head that way tonight.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I was in a place called Heron Island, and got to see the turtles hatch with a bunch of other people. Big nature moment. National Parks person came along and said they make good food for the birds and you should really just leave them be.

And when the sea birds started picking them off I have never seen people lust for the death of birds so much in my entire life.

Okay, so yeah, I attacked a flock of seagulls with a coconut and a palm frond. I ain't proud of it. I'd do it again though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

not caring here posted:

And when the sea birds started picking them off I have never seen people lust for the death of birds so much in my entire life.

Okay, so yeah, I attacked a flock of seagulls with a coconut and a palm frond. I ain't proud of it. I'd do it again though.

Understand completely. Here it’s the ghost crabs, and some terns. Best believe I’ll hand either one a savage beating if they gently caress around with a hatchling. Not that their odds are great even when they reach the water, but I can’t do anything about a fish swallowing one whole, or a ray somehow getting hold of a hatchling and grinding it up like they do with shellfish.