Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I was under the impression they sounded that way on purpose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

There are high quality masters! They released a soundtrack with them that only had one variation on the normal battle theme for some reason! And then the DDS1 Demi-Fiend fight had a much higher quality version of said battle theme, but also again just one variation!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKZq9xrY0XQ

Here's one of the battle themes you can hear in that gameplay preview. It sounds much better.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

I'm not too worried about the human VOs as long as I can still hear Rangda say "UHN Blubba kuhn!!", Titania say "are you ready?", and Metatron's evil robotic laugh

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Saagonsa posted:

I was under the impression they sounded that way on purpose

Yeah when people complain about the audio compression they are not talking about the lyrics being performed by a text to speech generator being blasted through a bullhorn. It sounds like that because that's what it is.

e: although in my fantasy universe they would convince mikael akerfeldt to growl the lyrics instead. also opeth would stop sucking.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 23, 2020

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I forgot about the homework stuff. That's good game design. You get auto relationship increases with everyone but more important to me is the +4 Knowledge gains. I'm guessing this is to help players with Naoto since IIRC you need Rank 4 Knowledge to even start her S Link and Rank 5 to max it. Well, thanks to the homework, I'm a Sage now and it will be clear sailings for her S Link.

I've given up on Strength, Tower, Devil, Death, Moon and Sun. If I ever try to start any of them, it will be after I've maxed the ones I care about. This time management is so stressful.

Summer vacation just ended and I have: Yosuke 5, Margaret 6, Kanji 5, Yukiko 7, Chie 7, Rise 5, Nanako 9, Dojima 8, Fox 5, Adachi 5, Marie 5, Saki's Brother 3, Eri 3. I hope this is enough time to max out at least most of these + Naoto.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Pcsx2 and Nocturne aren't getting along. I've got it booting off the DVD and everything is fine until it fades to when I'm supposed to put in a name when pcsx2 just hard locks. Does anyone know what setting I'm supposed to use?

Also I just noticed the DVD says disc 1. Is there a disc 2 that GameStop robbed me of all those years ago?

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Len posted:

Pcsx2 and Nocturne aren't getting along. I've got it booting off the DVD and everything is fine until it fades to when I'm supposed to put in a name when pcsx2 just hard locks. Does anyone know what setting I'm supposed to use?

Also I just noticed the DVD says disc 1. Is there a disc 2 that GameStop robbed me of all those years ago?

I think some of them came with a soundtrack disc

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

people in this game are so weird

they trust/accept/use this bizarre demon summoning program forced into their suits waaaay too fast

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Len posted:

It's listed as playable without any major bugs, and my own investigations show it's not very demanding or anything even with default settings for the emulator.

Usual poo poo: Newest emu version? BIOS? Try other games? Rip your own copy and see if that helps, or if there's a smudge/scratch on the actual disc?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Len posted:

My retirement plan is to sell off all of the old video games I own that randomly became collector's items.

You can retire on, like, a couple hundred bucks, right?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Andrigaar posted:

It's listed as playable without any major bugs, and my own investigations show it's not very demanding or anything even with default settings for the emulator.

Usual poo poo: Newest emu version? BIOS? Try other games? Rip your own copy and see if that helps, or if there's a smudge/scratch on the actual disc?

So yesterday it crashed repeatedly, i put the disc back in and tried again just now and it's working fine.

Complaining on the internet solves the problem again

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

frajaq posted:

they trust/accept/use this bizarre demon summoning program forced into their suits waaaay too fast

Summon Or Die

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I bought a sealed copy of Nocturne last month and it only had one disc.

ONE MORE DISC REJECTED.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

frajaq posted:

In a few other SMT games, they use the bizarre demon summoning program that got emailed to them by a stranger, so I'd argue that the people using a tool provided to them while they're trapped in another dimension are pretty high up on the list of rational actors in SMT narratives :v:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I bought a sealed copy of Nocturne last month and it only had one disc.

ONE MORE DISC REJECTED.
For whatever it's worth my copy has "INCLUDES LIMITED EDITION SOUNDTRACK CD!" on the back cover, between the review blurbs and the line that says 1 player, memory card (for ps2) - 171 kb, the Atlus logo, and so on.

I was one of the roughly six people who bought it when it was first released because I liked the SNES games, so presumably this is one of those weird first-release-slightly-different things Atlus seems to like doing.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I mean it's basic logic:

Don't use the weird program forcibly uploaded into your suits by an outside party = you have a 100% chance of dying horribly and the mission failing.
Use the weird program forcibly uploaded into your suits by an outside party = you have a non-zero chance of not dying horribly and the mission succeeding.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

frajaq posted:

I mean, a bunch of guys die before the first mission even gets properly started. Plus probably quite a few of them are probably legit like "gently caress YEAH, THIS IS AWESOME!" because y'know.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The team is an elite strike force sent to investigate some kind of... multidimensional expanding black hole. I figure the basic requirement to be there is 'are you ready for the freakiest poo poo'

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

YggiDee posted:

The team is an elite strike force sent to investigate some kind of... multidimensional expanding black hole. I figure the basic requirement to be there is 'are you ready for the freakiest poo poo'

And yet Zelenin somehow got on the team.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The point is that nobody is really ready.Jimenez is a career soldier and...

Well poo poo, let's avoid spoilers here, we got a couple new players.

Strange Journey was my first SMT like I said and I did not appreciate it enough at the time. I thought both Jimenez and Zelenin had pretty spotty, barebones characterization.

Redux and playing many other SMT games gave me a fresh perspective. Zelenin and Jimenez are both pretty good characters and, relative to other alignment reps, they get a ton of character development and focus. They "tried harder" with SMTIV but the emphasis is on tried because they utterly failed as Zelenin and Jimenez are way better than Jonathan or Walter. They occupy a sweet spot as, where I originally thought we didn't get enough time with them, they still get way, way more time than Nocturne's characters. Yet what time we got with them was all quality and well-done while Jon and Walt were just a lot of nothing.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 24, 2020

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I really liked the alignment reps in Apocalypse, though that’s largely because they did something very different with them in that game.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

SMT4 feels like there's an entire act missing when it comes to Walter and Jonathan's characterization.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
I've finished the original Strange Journey twice. Does Redux offer something significant enough to go through it a third time?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

It's pretty much the same game, moderately enhanced. A bonus (big) dungeon or two, three new possible endings, new demons to summon and fight.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

strange journey is hella goo d. i am the trash place

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I love the atmosphere of Strange Journey but I inevitably give up halfway through.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
You know what I hope for in SMT5?

A defensive stat.

I love 4 and Apocalypse but having no Vitality stat or the like made it a bit rocket tag-y. I want to build a tank demon or hero!

Which makes me wonder. 3 had Magatama, 4 (and 4A) had Demon Whisper. I wonder how the protag will learn skills in 5.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Decided to wait for the remaster of Nocturne so instead I'm giving Raidou Kuzunoha a spin. I have no idea if these games are actually good but you almost never see taishô Japan stories so I've been curious for a long time

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

TurnipFritter posted:

SMT4 feels like there's an entire act missing when it comes to Walter and Jonathan's characterization.

I know, right? I was pleasantly surprised when you travel to those other worlds and Jonathan helps the people forsaken by God destroying Pluto while Walter helps establish a system in a chaotic Tokyo because it seemed they were going to do something different this time with the alignments but nope, once they go back they promptly forget everything and just do their thing.

Junpei posted:

You know what I hope for in SMT5?

A defensive stat.

I love 4 and Apocalypse but having no Vitality stat or the like made it a bit rocket tag-y. I want to build a tank demon or hero!

Yeah, honestly, I love SMT4's world but its battle system is probably the least fun in the PS2 and onwards era. The Press Turn System's philosophy is "when you do good, you do REALLY good and viceversa" but the lack of defense AND the smirk system go overboard with this, getting the first turn is waaay too decisive. Also I remember pretty much every boss in Strange Journey and their gimmick but I can't for the life of me remember what the SMT4 bosses did (except Minotaur and Medusa for obvious reasons) because you just do the same strategy for each of them.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Nina posted:

Decided to wait for the remaster of Nocturne so instead I'm giving Raidou Kuzunoha a spin. I have no idea if these games are actually good but you almost never see taishô Japan stories so I've been curious for a long time

The 2nd game is really good! It's a pretty fun action based SMT and the taisho era ambiance is also cool. It also has a lot more SMT elements that the 1st game lacks, like demon negotiation, a plot with law-chaos branching, fiends, etc. It doesn't really require knowledge of the first game's story.

The 1st game has a more fun story than the 2nd, but the gameplay is much worse than the 2nd one; there are frequent random encounters in the town areas, the battle system is not nearly as good and instead of negotiating with demons you have to button mash to recruit them. The story is worth experiencing in some form but you might be better off reading the LP.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

SMT4 no defense stat battles owned

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Saagonsa posted:

SMT4 no defense stat battles owned
gently caress yeah it did. The only way to help your defense was to lower the enemy's attack. Gimme dem "Death or Glory!" moments, even if they're absolute BS.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IHl2Lte6lo

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

dunno what I expected with this extra DLC, but it seems its just cheat items?

thought the DLC would be extra modules/arenas whatever, I shouldn't use this poo poo on a first playthrough right?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

frajaq posted:

dunno what I expected with this extra DLC, but it seems its just cheat items?

thought the DLC would be extra modules/arenas whatever, I shouldn't use this poo poo on a first playthrough right?

It depends if you want a challenge or not. I avoid using DLC items like that because, as you noted, it's broken as hell. Some DLC equipment in games is just a nice little helping hands at the start but others break the game in half and I avoid those.

Apocalypse has this money grinding dungeon DLC that is essential on the higher difficulty levels because they increase the cost of the Compendium.It's especially necessary for the highest difficulty which cannot be changed. I played on War, the second highest difficulty, and you could dump the difficulty down to very easy there to spare your wallet he pain of resummoning loads of demons but that ain't an option on Apocalypse difficulty so you totally need the dungeon.

Sorry I'm just thinking ahead o my second run of Apocalypse which I intend to be an Apocalypse difficulty run. Should be fun - especially since I couldn't even beat the final boss on War. But hey, maybe with foreknowledge from the start, I can manage it.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

It’s kinda lovely if the increased difficulty of the hard mode is offset by basically buying the in game currency with real cash

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I took Naoto for my last money run her dungeon and her voice-actress is strange. I'm not sure if she's good at emoting or not. She's fine as long as she's Naoto's usual composed, soft-voiced self but her voice warbles a lot in combat and I'm unsure if that's intentional. Like how her voice cracks when she can't kill an enemy. It is kinda cute but it's weird, I don't think she ever sounds like this consistently in regular cutscenes. Then again, my memory of the game is obviously far from perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjUlMzd_PvM

This just makes me think of Haruhi but I guess it is in a lot of things, probably. Still, Haruhi was a massive sensation, I wouldn't be surprised if they put it in here because of it or something like it.

I bring this up though because look how happy Naoto is. She's sorta the odd one out in a lot of ways, not really as zany or whacky as the others. Before I played P4 all I knew was that it was a murder mystery and somebody called it the happiest murder mystery ever. They weren't wrong. But Naoto is the smart, mature one and joins so late. It's nice to plainly see her being happy too, even as the rest of the IT are being their usual insane selves.

Insanity is a good way to describe P4. All the teachers are clearly crazy in a way I don't remember them being in P5 and they weren't quite this nuts in P3 either IIRC.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

It’s kinda lovely if the increased difficulty of the hard mode is offset by basically buying the in game currency with real cash

It's not essential unless you're just constantly resummoning poo poo after you fuse it. You can instead just fuse what you think you'll need for the next stretch and then negotiate to refill your ranks with fusion fodder.

As always with SMT games the compendiums is Nice, but Ignorable with some careful consideration on what youre doing. It's even EASIER to ignore in smt 4/A since you can just fuse wherever whenever so if you feel you need something you can just get it.

Don't take NK's word on any game's difficulty or mechanics.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's not essential unless you're just constantly resummoning poo poo after you fuse it. You can instead just fuse what you think you'll need for the next stretch and then negotiate to refill your ranks with fusion fodder.

As always with SMT games the compendiums is Nice, but Ignorable with some careful consideration on what youre doing. It's even EASIER to ignore in smt 4/A since you can just fuse wherever whenever so if you feel you need something you can just get it.

Don't take NK's word on any game's difficulty or mechanics.

Yep, I bet I'm the only person on Earth whoever used the Compendium a lot to find useful demons and abilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Yep, I bet I'm the only person on Earth whoever used the Compendium a lot to find useful demons and abilities.

It's more you saying its necessary which it isn't. And also this whole discussion follows your multiple P4G posts talking about struggling with the game's difficulty while not actually using the tools the game gives you.