Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Whenever I am stuck for something to do with chicken, I think kebabs are a good way to liven things up. Whatever marinade you fancy on the chicken, and whatever vegetables you’ve got, with some rice and salad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Or stir fries. Mix up the sauces, aromats and veg in it and serve with rice or noodles. Lots of variety there too.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

excellent bird guy posted:

Wish i knew how to make all that creative chicken. I throw chicken in a stove top pan with oil every single time and change up the seasoning.

No time like quarantine to learn!

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

BraveUlysses posted:

peruvian green sauce owns, kenji's recipe is a good starting point and i think it has sour cream and mayo but no cheese. i dont think that it should have any cheese in it.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/07/peruvian-style-grilled-chicken-sandwiches-recipe.html

3 whole jalapeño chilies, roughly chopped (see note)
1 tablespoon (15ml) ají amarillo pepper paste (optional; see note)
1 cup (1 ounce) fresh cilantro leaves
2 medium cloves garlic
1/2 cup (120ml) mayonnaise
1/4 cup (60ml) sour cream
2 teaspoons (10ml) fresh juice from 1 lime
1 teaspoon (5ml) distilled white vinegar
1/4 cup (60ml) extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Thanks, this looks great!

Anne Whateley posted:

I eat a stupid amount of chicken and rice. But all different preparations -- roast chicken and rice pilaf, then halal chicken over rice, chicken biryani, Hainanese chicken, lemon garlic chicken & brown rice . . . At least the vegetables are different for each one?

Do you have a good biryani recipe you can share?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I don't have a great one, I was mostly thinking longingly of my favorite lunch place near my office. I've made the Cook's Country one a couple times, and it's good for the amount of effort I want to put in, but for once I can't find a version not behind the paywall.

fuckwolf
Oct 2, 2014

by Pragmatica
A local restaurant is doing a menu with Japanese fried chicken and habanero butter. I’ve got the chicken locked down, but how would you go about making habanero butter? I’m usually pretty good at riffing on restaurant dishes, but no idea what to do here. Making a compound butter with minced habanero seems pretty lame. I don’t have enough time to make a habanero powder. Any ideas? Or any ideas for a habanero sauce that would work with fried chicken?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

fuckwolf posted:

Or any ideas for a habanero sauce that would work with fried chicken?
Habanero jelly + honey or maple syrup.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

fuckwolf posted:

A local restaurant is doing a menu with Japanese fried chicken and habanero butter. I’ve got the chicken locked down, but how would you go about making habanero butter? I’m usually pretty good at riffing on restaurant dishes, but no idea what to do here. Making a compound butter with minced habanero seems pretty lame. I don’t have enough time to make a habanero powder. Any ideas? Or any ideas for a habanero sauce that would work with fried chicken?

You’re overthinking it. Melt butter, add a chopped habanero and let it simmer for a minute. I’d probably add a bit of honey or sugar. Strain if you want it smooth, then drizzle over chicken.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
When my place does something like that it's usually coming from a waste-reduction standpoint. Probably starts with making a habanero hot sauce, then after straining it making a compound butter with the fermented solids. Might be a fun project for you if you can get plenty of habaneros.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

BraveUlysses posted:

just the bottom third to a half of the lemongrass stalk--the greenest parts only. throw away the top half and cut the very bottom quarter or half inch off.

use a sharp knife cause its very fibrous and cut into smallish slices, then throw into mortar or food processor.

so my experience went like this:

"Huh, he said to keep the greenest parts only and throw away the top half... but the top half is green and the bottom half isn't."

I ended up peeling off an outer layer off of each stalk and sorta just using the middle? I chopped it into 1-2" tubes and tossed it in the food processor expecting it to turn into some kind of paste but even after pulverizing it for like 15 seconds, it just turned into a pile of finely shredded lemon grass.

Did I leave it in my fridge too long and it dried out? Is this normal?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
it does dry out but sounds like you got it figured out! i freeze the extra stalks when i buy a bundle

my description of the color was backwards, this is whatcha do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfRRYejYfOk

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
yep that's basically what i did! noodle bowls are on the menu!

Peeches
May 25, 2018

Just an FYI. I got back from the doctor, apparently I'm allergic to mangoes. I kinda knew it before, I have gotten something called "mango mouth" ( it's horrific- I couldn't bare to attach a picture) but basically it's poison ivy like blisters around the mouth.

Mango skins have the same oils as poison ivy. So a few weeks ago I cut some up, careful not to touch my mouth, but the liquid soaked into my skin, causing itchy blistering rash between my fingers, but it's not contagious like poison ivy would be.

And it last for weeks, even with topical steroid treatment. My doctor said he saw a guy with internal blisters:cry:

I'm also very allergic to poison ivy which is a precursor, so beware!

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Peeches posted:

Just an FYI. I got back from the doctor, apparently I'm allergic to mangoes. I kinda knew it before, I have gotten something called "mango mouth" ( it's horrific- I couldn't bare to attach a picture) but basically it's poison ivy like blisters around the mouth.

Mango skins have the same oils as poison ivy. So a few weeks ago I cut some up, careful not to touch my mouth, but the liquid soaked into my skin, causing itchy blistering rash between my fingers, but it's not contagious like poison ivy would be.

And it last for weeks, even with topical steroid treatment. My doctor said he saw a guy with internal blisters:cry:

I'm also very allergic to poison ivy which is a precursor, so beware!

I shared an office in grad school with a woman who had a severe mango allergy and had previously lived somewhere in Florida where they were basically everywhere. Apparently there was a period of time each year where she basically couldn't walk down any nearby sidewalks because once in a while a mango would drip sap onto her and leave her in agony. :(

Peeches
May 25, 2018

poeticoddity posted:

I shared an office in grad school with a woman who had a severe mango allergy and had previously lived somewhere in Florida where they were basically everywhere. Apparently there was a period of time each year where she basically couldn't walk down any nearby sidewalks because once in a while a mango would drip sap onto her and leave her in agony. :(

Oh drat. Since mine is getting worse I don't think I can eat or touch them again. They don't grow here thankfully.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

When I am baking bread, it always gets brown and pretty crispy, but then quickly looses that crisypness. And then it just stays kinda soft.
What am I doing wrong?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
How fast does it lose the crispyness? If it's hours/days then it's probably how you're storing it. How are you storing it?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

TychoCelchuuu posted:

How fast does it lose the crispyness? If it's hours/days then it's probably how you're storing it. How are you storing it?

Pretty much like...10 to 30 minutes after baking.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Are you allowing it to cool on a wire rack? If you put the bread in any kind of container while it’s still hot, it will get soggy crusts.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Scientastic posted:

Are you allowing it to cool on a wire rack? If you put the bread in any kind of container while it’s still hot, it will get soggy crusts.

Yup, that's the first thing I am doing. My issue is that they come out pretty crispy and browned how I would like it and then turn into like...day old bread after half an hour.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
My general bread method is:

- Allow to cool completely (room temperature) before cutting. This is critical; slicing while it's still warm will lead to a mushy, gummy mess. This can take up to two hours depending on the size and density of your loaf. If you're cutting into it 10-30 minutes after baking, this is probably where your problems are coming from.

- For the first 12-24 hours, store in a paper bag. This allows the bread to dry out a bit, making it easier to slice.

- After 24 hours, transfer to a bread box. This will keep it from getting too dry and turning into a huge crouton.

I live in a very warm and dry climate, so this may vary depending on your location.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
How long does homemade mayo really last? I've had a jar of aioli sitting in the fridge for a good month now and I popped it open this morning to throw it out. Smelled fine, and a tentative taste revealed nothing terrible.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Michaellaneous posted:

Yup, that's the first thing I am doing. My issue is that they come out pretty crispy and browned how I would like it and then turn into like...day old bread after half an hour.

Does toasting it bring it back to where you like it? Toasting will also reduce any staleness.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Lester Shy posted:

My general bread method is:

- Allow to cool completely (room temperature) before cutting. This is critical; slicing while it's still warm will lead to a mushy, gummy mess. This can take up to two hours depending on the size and density of your loaf. If you're cutting into it 10-30 minutes after baking, this is probably where your problems are coming from.

- For the first 12-24 hours, store in a paper bag. This allows the bread to dry out a bit, making it easier to slice.

- After 24 hours, transfer to a bread box. This will keep it from getting too dry and turning into a huge crouton.

I live in a very warm and dry climate, so this may vary depending on your location.

I am not cutting the bread (baguettes this time). They just loose their crispyness without me doing anything.

Eeyo posted:

Does toasting it bring it back to where you like it? Toasting will also reduce any staleness.

I am sure it does but I would like them to stay crispy like the ones I buy at a bakery, at least for a few hours or something.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Michaellaneous posted:

When I am baking bread, it always gets brown and pretty crispy, but then quickly looses that crisypness. And then it just stays kinda soft.
What am I doing wrong?

That's really weird. What's your recipe?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Speaking of which, what is a good baby's first bread recipe that would impress people? Considerations: I have no special equipment and I am a dunce.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Well, there's a bread thread, which is great. Also bread is really easy and easy to impress with, unless you're trying to impress an artisanal bread baker, in which case they will likely not be impressed but also likely will be excited that you are baking bread.

Babish and Joshua Weismann each have a couple videos about bread. It's also hard to go wrong with King Arthur recipes, such as this this Easiest Loaf of Bread You'll Ever Bake one.

Edit: If you have a dutch oven, tons of people got into baking bread with a no knead recipe .

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 26, 2020

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Well I suppose I'm set, thanks a bunch.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

3D Megadoodoo posted:

That's really weird. What's your recipe?

I used this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efqe9Umxopc

500g all purpose, 350ml water, 10g salt and yeast

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Manager Hoyden posted:

Speaking of which, what is a good baby's first bread recipe that would impress people? Considerations: I have no special equipment and I am a dunce.

There are much simpler recipes out there, but if you want to impress people, go with this. I'd never made any bread whatsoever three months ago and this is the biggest hit in my house so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9le93pztbU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Michaellaneous posted:

I used this video:

Why is he cutting bread with a non-bread knife :mad:

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

AnonSpore posted:

How long does homemade mayo really last? I've had a jar of aioli sitting in the fridge for a good month now and I popped it open this morning to throw it out. Smelled fine, and a tentative taste revealed nothing terrible.

So how is your homemade Mayo? I heard it's real easy to make: isn't it just eggs and olive oil in a blender? I'd have to think of some good seasoning to put in it. I like an oregeno + garlic combo with olive oil

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Michaellaneous posted:

I used this video:

I'm not a bread expert, but a few other suggestions to experiment with:

1) You may want to remove the water pan and water sources after the oven spring has mostly finished. The steam is important in setting up the crust and allowing a good oven spring, but is usually removed during the latter part of baking. I'd try to make sure the pan of water is simmering before putting in loaves (so it's nice and steamy), then just ignore the second spritz and take out the water pan at that point. I think the theory is you want to make sure the crust dries out nicely and gets browned after it's mostly set and the steam is counterproductive there. You may have to experiment with the timing, like maybe 5 minutes isn't enough steam time, it probably depends on your equipment and process.

2) You could potentially bake longer (that is, if your loaves look like the video's). I tend to like my bread more like what the guy does, but some people definitely take it longer. Often their ear will start getting quite dark.

3) shaping could also have an affect. I got pretty lazy about shaping and I kept having some very poor and tough crusts. But I added some stretch and folds and then worked harder to pull a nice skin on the loaf before the final proof and it gave a much better result. I've never tried baguettes so maybe that video has a good technique, I'm not sure. But shaping definitely can have an impact on the crust.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Michaellaneous posted:

I used this video:

When he's tearing the bread at the end, you can see that he has the same problem you do. Way underdeveloped, soft crust.

I am not a professional baker, but I'm like 98% certain the problem is not enough steam in the oven. He looks to have put a pan of room temp water into the oven with the bread. You want to put a little bit of boiling water in, but not too much. Bonus points if you have a squirt bottle and can squirt the oven walls really good at the very beginning right before closing the door. Ideally all of the water in the pan will boil off after about 10 minutes. You want a bunch of steam to help with the crust formation at the beginning, but then have it go away so that it can dry out enough at the end.

That should drastically improve what you are ending up with.

e:fb

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Thank you very much, I will try your suggestions and report back.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

excellent bird guy posted:

So how is your homemade Mayo? I heard it's real easy to make: isn't it just eggs and olive oil in a blender? I'd have to think of some good seasoning to put in it. I like an oregeno + garlic combo with olive oil

I went ahead and ate it anyway and it was fine.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Re: Baguette

I've adhered to youre suggestions and they came out a loooot better. I put in already steaming water with the dough and spritzed the ovenwalls. After 5 minutes a final bit of water, and removing the pan. Then just 12 to 15 minutes more baking.
All of them are super crispy, I just need to get a stone to get the downside brown as well. I will try them tomorrow again, but for now they all retrained an extreme crispness.

Thank you all for the great suggestions. I'll move on to different bread soon.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Michaellaneous posted:

I've adhered to youre suggestions and they came out a loooot better. I put in already steaming water with the dough and spritzed the ovenwalls. After 5 minutes a final bit of water, and removing the pan. Then just 12 to 15 minutes more baking.
All of them are super crispy, I just need to get a stone to get the downside brown as well. I will try them tomorrow again, but for now they all retrained an extreme crispness.

Nice work, those look great!!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Michaellaneous posted:

Wow those look like they're from a real boulangerie!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Michaellaneous posted:

For breads like baguette and other traditionally long loaves with a round-ish cross section you might look at getting a couche/baker's linen. Which is literally just a rectangle of heavy linen. You rub a shitload of flour into it so dough won't stick, and then when you're proofing baguette you make ridges in the linen and put the dough between them, and that keeps your dough from spreading out as much. Here's a random product photo of one from GIS to show the basic idea:

Both your baguettes and the ones made by the guy in that video have a cross section that's a flattened oval. That's because the dough is fairly high hydration (75%), so after shaping the dough is relaxing/spreading out a lot. If you made the same dough and shaped it the same way and you used a couche, you'd end up with something that looks more like (this is from the wiki article on baguette):

...which is the classic baguette shape. It's not a huge deal, since the bread will taste pretty much the same either way, but the more you know and all that.