Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Romulan whiskey's rhetorically risky. But Romulan ale would be yond the pale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
"It's impossible for the romulans to have more than one alcoholic drink" is a weird thing to nitpick

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

"It's impossible for the romulans to have more than one alcoholic drink" is a weird thing to nitpick

But they're both blue!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Calling one drink ale implies the existence of heavier, harder alcohols.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Romulan Fireball will strip the hull paint off of any craft.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

The_Doctor posted:

Calling one drink ale implies the existence of heavier, harder alcohols.

My headcanon for why Romulan ale (which as an ale can't really be on par with hard liquor in terms of alcohol by volume) is illegal is because the Romulans also spike it with some kind of psychoactive drug or something that, while relatively benign for Romulans, doesn't really agree well with the human liver.

I base this solely on a recipe that I got from a fellow homebrewer who regularly makes Romulan ale with a hefty infusion of THC :420:

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Drone posted:

My headcanon for why Romulan ale (which as an ale can't really be on par with hard liquor in terms of alcohol by volume) is illegal is because the Romulans also spike it with some kind of psychoactive drug or something that, while relatively benign for Romulans, doesn't really agree well with the human liver.

I base this solely on a recipe that I got from a fellow homebrewer who regularly makes Romulan ale with a hefty infusion of THC :420:

On Romulans just have a natural immunity to ergot.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Romulan Ale was illegal because there was a cold war analog at the time and they were like Cuban cigars. Eventually this was just kind of forgotten.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Maybe Romulan Ale is illegal specifically when it's aged in Romulan Whiskey barrels, lending it the trademark blue color :colbert:

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jul 24, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

socialsecurity posted:

Romulan Ale was illegal because there was a cold war analog at the time and they were like Cuban cigars. Eventually this was just kind of forgotten.
On DS9, when the Romulans join the Dominion War the ban gets lifted. There’s an episode where the Starfleet commanders are drinking Romulan ale with some Romulans

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I want an episode where its revealed that the Romulans spend so much effort crafting their mysterious and secretive mystique because behind the scenes they're spending all their time brewing and getting tanked up on hard-core liquor.

(I think its because Romulans are Vulcans-who-drink, and its established that Vulcans are on the Hardy end of the species scale so their liquor would presumably be more potent)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

“Captain, I see you are a man of culture. As a token of appreciation, may I present the rarest of treasures; the Romulan Jagerbomb.”

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Jaeger is a drink only a Klingon could love.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

FlamingLiberal posted:

On DS9, when the Romulans join the Dominion War the ban gets lifted. There’s an episode where the Starfleet commanders are drinking Romulan ale with some Romulans

The franchise really did peak with DS9 didn't it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Astroman posted:

Ron Tracey was a helluva character:

Even if it doesn't always come through, I get the sense that character motivations were just discussed at far more depth and actors had far more discretion over portrayal than in modern Trek franchises. This is a depth of consideration from both the actor and the writers that I just can't picture going on behind the scenes at Picard or Discovery. I picture those meetings as a room of several dozen producers and their support staff combing over #startrek tweets.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Alchenar posted:

I want an episode where its revealed that the Romulans spend so much effort crafting their mysterious and secretive mystique because behind the scenes they're spending all their time brewing and getting tanked up on hard-core liquor.

(I think its because Romulans are Vulcans-who-drink, and its established that Vulcans are on the Hardy end of the species scale so their liquor would presumably be more potent)

It must be some hard poo poo since it even gave Worf a hangover.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

piratepilates posted:

The franchise really did peak with DS9 didn't it.
Oh absolutely.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

They’re expanding!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npUYWrdzJ_o

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

This should've been the take they kept. It's nice to see humans do foible-y human poo poo once in a while.

Nobody on Star Trek has ever had the hiccups, either! Absurd!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I dunno, this humanizes Archer to a degree I'm not comfortable with, because it would interfere with my immense hatred for the character.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Hence it's an outtake.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

spot had the hiccups

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

That looks like some pretty high-budget animation and complicated effects considering how chintzy the character designs looked. It's a weird contrast. I wonder if there's some disconnect happening in there.

It's not a bad first look, but I guess the real trick will be how well they pace it.

I dunno if it'd fit the bill for people's expectations of "star trek". Trying to make things more animated seems like it'd take it away from that direction.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I know Worf is the first Klingon to serve in Starfleet and various people know about him, but is his whole "Honor honor honor!" spiel supposedly famous throughout the quadrant or something? Or is that reference a meta joke?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Gonz posted:

I know Worf is the first Klingon to serve in Starfleet and various people know about him, but is his whole "Honor honor honor!" spiel supposedly famous throughout the quadrant or something? Or is that reference a meta joke?

You've already thought about it more than the writers.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
Worf is probably famous, and famously fuckin' curmudgeonly as well.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

curiousTerminal posted:

I'd like to think Worf gets shitfaced at bars and tells everybody the story about that one time he snapped Weyoun's neck, and how Damar thought it was hilarious.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

feedmyleg posted:

Jaeger is a drink only a Klingon could love.

Mad Targ 2020

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

curiousTerminal posted:

I mean he killed the leader of the Klingon Empire for reasons of honor, I figure maybe people might know him and his deal.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

e: nm

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jul 25, 2020

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

J33uk posted:

I mean he killed the leader of the Klingon Empire for reasons of honor, I figure maybe people might know him and his deal.

And one of the candidates for the leadership of the Council years before that, too.

Then refused to kill the losing house in the Klingon Civil War in a big public ceremony.

Worf should, really, be at least a minor celebrity/person of note, in both the Klingon Empire and Starfleet (for teaching classes on the civil war and current/recent Klingon geopolitics). Plus, you know, first Klingon in Starfleet.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Plus, you know, first Klingon in Starfleet.

Actually, isn't he the still the only one we know of (other than half of B'Elanna Torres)?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Actually, isn't he the still the only one we know of (other than half of B'Elanna Torres)?

I don't think they ever really come out and say he's the -only- one, right? Or at least if they do, it's in the earlier TNG days.

But yeah, definitely the only one we know of.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

I hate everything Risa.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Astroman posted:

Ron Tracey was a helluva character:
Ugh, 'The Omega Glory'. A show where if you stopped watching the moment they beamed down to the planet and made up literally any story in your head about what happened next, it would be better than what made it to the screen.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
We truly live in year of hell when

Drone posted:

Jesus Christ please stop making new Star Trek
is not a joke, not even in the slightest

But no krenim ships inbound so...we will have to live with all that.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Because I can live with it.

I. Can. Live with it.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/TrekCore/status/1287106192116985857

RIP Regis

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Hannibal Rex posted:

-Enterprise had one cool season, which is more than Voyager ever achieved.
-It's really eerie how Trip looks like a young George W. Bush. It may just be me, but between the two main stars being white male Americans, and the two token minority characters barely getting anything interesting to do, the show really seems to have been pandering to the early 2000s Republican middle America, even before 9/11 and the Xindi arc.

Voyager season 4 would like a word.

In Enterprise, was Mayweather the pilot? I think in season 3 he had 3 lines. All he did was look intensely at consoles. They really just gave up on characterisation in that show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It’s funny, but in season 4 it’s like they suddenly remembered Anthony Montgomery was still on the payroll and started giving him things to do. It’s a little jarring, actually.

Also lmao at Twilight in season 3 where his only appearance is as a dead body due to him being killed within the first 15 seconds of the episode.