Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

married but discreet posted:

Ughhh all the cave animals should be albinos I hope someone lost their job over this blunder

The average Dwarf Fortress world is only a couple hundred years old. Creatures don't live underground as a consequence of evolution, they live underground as a consequence of the gods going "oh, oops" and sweeping them beneath the proverbial rug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
You know what, fair enough. That is a surprisingly satisfying answer.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
What does the job cancellation message, "cancel release wrong justice state" mean? Unbuilding the cages in the prison ended the cancellation spam, but the prisoners still weren't released. It took melting the cages to get the creatures out, which won't be possible for the ones stuck behind wooden bars.
Related to that justice system issue, interrogation reports will sometimes list the interrogating officer themselves as the local figure the conspirator was trying to corrupt. Their status as captain of the guard seems to grant immunity to charges and punishment. I appreciate the gameplay based commentary on the fragility of these systems of law, but some sort of dwarven Serpico is needed.

Also, in the reports that generate when squads return from raids and pillaging, there are often 5-10 deaths listed in the report that don't align with the lists of troops sent out. Sixty warriors left, sixty returned; so where did these other fatalities come from?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
is the casualties the people being raided?

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The average Dwarf Fortress world is only a couple hundred years old. Creatures don't live underground as a consequence of evolution, they live underground as a consequence of the gods going "oh, oops" and sweeping them beneath the proverbial rug.

Scope out the new DF talk where we talk about future plans to integrate procedural creation stories.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf//index.php?topic=176916.0

Enjoy!

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Here's an example of the strange interrogation phenomena noted in my previous post:

As far as I can tell there's no way to bring a criminal captain of the guard up for charges or interrogation.

verbal enema posted:

is the casualties the people being raided?

Nah, to Tarn Adam's credit the UI for the mission report screen is relatively clear and straight forward.

Those names in pink are deaths from my attacking group, except they're not part of the squads I sent out. It's as if additional troops from my civ are joining in on the fight, as building statues and figurines of the mystery dead reveal histories tied to it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Maarak posted:

As far as I can tell there's no way to bring a criminal captain of the guard up for charges or interrogation.

I thought this was supposed to be a fantasy game.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Maarak posted:

Here's an example of the strange interrogation phenomena noted in my previous post:

just lol if you dont have lava pipes ready to pour into every single dwarf's apartment

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I *know* that the reason is because it would create a MASSIVE amount of work to sprite... but I'm still bothered that creatures with reversed joints don't show said reversed joints in the graphics. I mean, yeah, making ANOTHER set of sprite parts for every single creature in the game might take weeks or months... but dangit, this is dwarf fortress, and what is dwarf fortress but needless details!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Of course the limbs are reversable. This is Dwarf Fortress. Give it a minute.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Iunnrais posted:

I *know* that the reason is because it would create a MASSIVE amount of work to sprite... but I'm still bothered that creatures with reversed joints don't show said reversed joints in the graphics. I mean, yeah, making ANOTHER set of sprite parts for every single creature in the game might take weeks or months... but dangit, this is dwarf fortress, and what is dwarf fortress but needless details!

I’m pretty sure that pro egg creature post from a month or two back showed off a creature with backwards knees.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I wonder what still-extant feature has had the most toady-hours put into it and has the least impact on people's games.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Temperature? Fluid coatings?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Iunnrais posted:

The reason is that it's an early mockup.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Appoda posted:

I wonder what still-extant feature has had the most toady-hours put into it and has the least impact on people's games.

Procedural songs, dances, poems.

Low impact but max flavor, like a Diet Coke Zero!

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I want to take Dwarf Fortress lessons. I've always wanted to get into the game but it feels like learning another language.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Capntastic posted:

Procedural songs, dances, poems.

Low impact but max flavor, like a Diet Coke Zero!

Every once in awhile i look at the dance and music my dwarves are doing and then i make it a goal to get proper instruments for them

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Pharnakes posted:

Temperature? Fluid coatings?

I appreciate the fact that I am able to make my adventurer drink their own tears, so I wouldn't say fluid coating has no impact.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

plus it killed cats for a while

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

excellent bird guy posted:

I want to take Dwarf Fortress lessons. I've always wanted to get into the game but it feels like learning another language.
It really isn't. Honestly, most of it is about learning how to navigate the various menus. Fortunately a lot of this is done in ways that is easily transferable, and for more complex subjects like the military screen, you can bypass it entirely via the far simpler techniques of trap making (Both in game pre-defined traps like stone-fall and weapons traps, and the ones you make yourself that can be as simple as retractable bridges over pits to dropping lava on people).

Just look at the dwarf fortress wiki and use that to help you navigate your first few forts. Before you generate a world, open d_init.txt and turn off invasions so you don't need to worry about them while doing the initial learning. You can also set a population cap (I do this religiously) so you have a manageable amount of dwarves with which to learn how to manage the place.

Expect to lose the first few forts to things going wrong due to mistakes in your supply chain (eg, running out of food or beer, or accidentally dropping your dining room into the magma sea). Just remember that the life of a dwarf is very much like the dwarves themselves: Subject to great swings in emotion, often prone to sudden violence, and often short. Losing a few here and there isn't the end of the world, nor is losing all of them. There are plenty more where they came from.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Pickled Tink posted:

Just look at the dwarf fortress wiki and use that to help you navigate your first few forts. Before you generate a world, open d_init.txt and turn off invasions so you don't need to worry about them while doing the initial learning. You can also set a population cap (I do this religiously) so you have a manageable amount of dwarves with which to learn how to manage the place.
This is also a good idea because it will limit how much the size of the population can drag down your framerate.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

for just $40/hour YOU can learn how to play Dwarf Fortress with internet celebrity Sankis

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

That's a pretty good offer from a true legend. Imagine taking wrestlemania lessons from the Ultimate Warrior (minus the racism) -- it's basically the same thing. Pro-gaming coaches are the next big thing and that's a bargain.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Sankis, how do I feed my fort? Is a 5x5 plot enough, or do I need several 7x7 plots of mushrooms? What seasons do I need to farm as opposed to making candles? Please help my family is dying.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
you can make candles in this game?

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Well, I make soap and light it on fire which is basically the same thing. The elves don't value this as a trade good but every fort has some dwarves that have a strong affinity for burning soap.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
dwarfs can see in the dark full bright style then huh i never put not needing light and inexplicably fully lit tunnels several hundred metres beneath the earth together

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

palindrome posted:

That's a pretty good offer from a true legend. Imagine taking wrestlemania lessons from the Ultimate Warrior (minus the racism) -- it's basically the same thing. Pro-gaming coaches are the next big thing and that's a bargain.

I don’t know, as I recall Sankis had a distinctly problematic approach to Elves.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

punishedkissinger posted:

just lol if you dont have lava pipes ready to pour into every single dwarf's apartment

A classic approach, but the lack of interrogation is the bigger issue. Without getting more information how can the fort ever have it's own giant org chart of the conspirators?

It turns out that demoting the captain and elevating someone else in the squad was enough to make the corrupt captain a valid selection again. Not that the new rookie captain was able to get much out of the schemer.

edit. Decided to run captain Onget through interrogation again since it's been a few in game years since that screencap.

Maarak fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 27, 2020

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

verbal enema posted:

dwarfs can see in the dark full bright style then huh i never put not needing light and inexplicably fully lit tunnels several hundred metres beneath the earth together

the real question is how do the human visitors manage to walk down the pitchblack dwarven-sized corridors to the unlit tavern whose floor is sopping wet with a jungle juice-like mixture of fruit and fungi alcohol

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Excelzior posted:

the real question is how do the human visitors manage to walk down the pitchblack dwarven-sized corridors to the unlit tavern whose floor is sopping wet with a jungle juice-like mixture of fruit and fungi alcohol

"You guys I swear it's right behind the wall of this farmers workshop, you have to give the giant olm chained up there the right password and then they let you in. I heard they have the sickest rat weed sewer brew in there. Vice did a whole article on the original location but then they flooded it with magma to keep posers out. It's AWESOME."

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Sankis has helped me learn how to play DF at a high level. This is a paid celebrity endorsement.

animist
Aug 28, 2018

verbal enema posted:

sometimes it cracks me up how subtly alien everything in DF is. like in all of dwarven society there's just... no lights.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

animist posted:

sometimes it cracks me up how subtly alien everything in DF is. like in all of dwarven society there's just... no lights.

Maybe it's virtualized like poop? Because if there were torches then there would have to be oxygen monitoring to make sure the torches could burn and then you'd need ventilation systems and aaaaaaaaaa.

Probably best to assume there's a fast growing and omnipresent glowing fungus in all their structures. Their beards (and poop) are full of spores so as soon as they dig or build a new indoor space it is immediately colonized. It provides enough light even for things with poor dark vision like visiting humans and random birds to make their way around the tunnels.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
When you consider the fact that they're literally used to living in complete darkness for months or years at a time, dwarven sun sickness suddenly becomes a lot less humorous and a lot more "well yeah, of course they wouldn't deal well with bright lights," doesn't it?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Toady to introduce local light levels as a modifier to workshop and job speeds. Players encouraged to seed totally-not-parasitic fluorescent fungus everywhere.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Dwarf Fortress gets ray tracing but without any of the graphics, just the math.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Just wait until the Procedural Gravity Arc

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

I'd absolutely be down for having to deal with lower gravity as you approached the core of the planet.

Also pressure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

The truth is that Toady’s a master in that he realizes the trick to good simulation is like jazz; it’s about the systems you don’t model