Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Caught this on the weather website while checking the weather and honestly you could make this the thread title of every other thread on this subforum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/Wxmanms1/status/1287078683384086528

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
hurricane warning for Oahu lol. this is going to be a big one and no one is paying attention.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Stay safe Hawaii goons

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

There's a new wave in the Atlantic

let’s go baby end of July let the hurricanes fly

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

I just looked at the last decade and a half of data and we only had a named storm starting with the letter I a couple times before september and that was late august

already a third of the way through the alphabet and we still have over three months to go

Egg Moron has issued a correction as of 03:52 on Jul 26, 2020

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Egg Moron posted:

I just looked at the last decade and a half of data and we only had a named storm starting with the letter I a couple times before september and that was late august

already a third of the way through the alphabet and we still have over three months to go

After they run out of names they start using Greek letters. They got to zeta in 2005, what a year

Hurricane Omega, baby

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
2005 was the all time baller og season, 2020 has its work cut out if it wants to challenge the king

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

drat, I should order a case of this for emergencies

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

ok, I think I'm pretty well stocked on food and water due to covid, but any cspam-approved hurricane hacks to buy this coming week before this season gets wild? for reference i am in Puerto Rico. This also means that Amazon takes a million years to get here, so ideally stuff that I can get in stores. Also in an apartment building, so unfortunately can't use a gas generator or similar equipment.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
friendships with your neighbors.

solar cell chargers and powerbank for ur phone, a USB flashlight

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
also one of those lifestraws

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
beans. if you already have beans, then more beans

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Thesaurus posted:

ok, I think I'm pretty well stocked on food and water due to covid, but any cspam-approved hurricane hacks to buy this coming week before this season gets wild? for reference i am in Puerto Rico. This also means that Amazon takes a million years to get here, so ideally stuff that I can get in stores. Also in an apartment building, so unfortunately can't use a gas generator or similar equipment.

I mean, you're in PR so you probably have all this stuff but...

- BATTERY POWERED FANS (preferably rechargeable).
- Extra gas cans filled with gas (for your car if not a generator)
- These days I'd recommend a water purifier since all the supply chains are hosed from COVID and Trump.
- A Kindle with lots of books.
- A solar/wind/hand crank battery charger.

That's all I can think of for now.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
stay safe goons and be sure to cannibalize CHUDs first

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/EricHolthaus/status/1287292302940086273

whelp, here begins the fun

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

TheLemonOfIchabod posted:

2005 was the all time baller og season, 2020 has its work cut out if it wants to challenge the king

absolutely, respect, some real powerhouse storms early on in the mix too, Dennis was a cat 4 and emily was a cat 5, a real one-two combination, no one can deny katrina's multifaceted, subtle and gross impact on our culture and society

2020 is more like a zerg rush, the first named storm was right in the middle of may, a few weeks before most hurricane seasons tend to kick off, and we've seen a steady drip of relatively weak storms

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

It takes real dedication to keep zerg rushing after the 10 minute mark, but 2020 is the kind of year to do it.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/KRIS6News/status/1287357024674742278?s=20

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Whoops douglas didn't weaken at all and is going to destroy Kauai too, but not before destroying Honolulu

Watched a bunch of big military planes fly out yesterday which I'm sure is fine.

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009

Stereotype posted:

Whoops douglas didn't weaken at all and is going to destroy Kauai too, but not before destroying Honolulu

Watched a bunch of big military planes fly out yesterday which I'm sure is fine.

Lol reminds me of that other hurricane a couple years ago going over an air force base and they couldn't fly out the f22s in maintenance so they all got destroyed and we lost like 10% of our f22 fleet to climate change

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stereotype posted:

Hey think of it this way, you get to star in your very own personal season of Survivor

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/hawaii_storm/status/1287424948395417601?s=21

goodbye Hawaii

https://twitter.com/mark_tarello/status/1287413792473780224?s=21

well, at least it’s only a Cat 1

here’s your timeline

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
the storm surge is going for the north side of Oahu away from Honolulu, right?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bip Roberts posted:

the storm surge is going for the north side of Oahu away from Honolulu, right?

oh there’s a surge alright

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIT-J8_rego

for trump!!!!!

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/tropicaltidbits/status/1287432991795535872?s=21

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Stereotype posted:

quick reminder that Honolulu has never, in recorded history, been hit by a hurricane. If one actually hits here it is going to be an unmitigated catastrophe.

yes but the records only go back to 1976, when the hall of records was mysteriously blown away

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Can't think of anything better for covid than people piling into temporary shelters.

(from the SAL thread)

doin' a big think about how shelters in the florida panhandle during hurricane michael were at double+ capacity

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Douglas is making landfall on its weak side in addition to being a Cat 1. I don't think its going to be a huge deal

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

once again hawaii gets away with It

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

by a hair

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
lol nevermind hurricane cancelled.

I think "hawaii is very small and the pacific is very big" might be a good explanation

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
today was actually a super nice day, it's been terribly muggy and now it is nice and cool :)

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
congrats to Hawaii, I used to live in Aiea

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Taintrunner posted:

congrats to Hawaii, I used to live in Aiea

same

sister is reporting things are fine in the punchbowl so far.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Good to hear Hawaii is still there

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

for now

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

ocean's risin', cloud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Looks like tomorrow night could get interesting here in PR!

https://twitter.com/EricHolthaus/status/1288128291505758211?s=19