Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010
“Art objects” include such treasure as paintings, sculptures, and

The Deck of Encounters Set Two Part 16: The Deck of Skeletons and Ankhegs

79: Kiss of Death
The PCs are trekking through snowy terrain when they come upon half-buried bones from some kind of large humanoid (a hill giant). If they dig them up, they’ll find the skeleton is completely intact, there’s no meat on them, and it’s still clutching a war club. The wind howls and the giant skeleton rises and attacks them. “...in the nearby cave of its ages-dead master is a small wooden chest holding 1,200 sp.”

Could use just a couple more cool details. But it’s still a keep.

80: Final Turn
While traveling through a dungeon, 18 skeletons rush the party and attack. Actually, they’re fleeing in the PCs’ direction because they were turned by another cleric, whose body the PCs can find a little ways away, having been just killed by the two skeletons that resisted turning. He’s got a platinum holy symbol worth 250 gp.

It’s dangerous to go alone, dude. Keep.

81: March of the Dead
The PCs set up camp for the night, set up their watch rotation as you do, and then around midnight hear the sound of marching. It’s just an entire undead army headed their way. Hundreds of skeletons and zombies, not in formation but all headed directly toward some distant objective. The PCs have ten rounds to get out of the way, and anything they leave behind will get trampled - otherwise, twenty-odd skeletons will attack them but the others who don’t draw quite as close will ignore them.

This tickles me. I can just imagine some necromancer villain with their real time strategy game UI selecting “attack move” with this army of cannon fodder and then turning their attention to micromanaging their death knights or whatever. Keep even though I’m gonna need to think fast, because there’s no way the PCs don’t follow this army to see what’s going on.

82: The Guide
The PCs get lost in the mountains, and stumble on a hospitable small mountain village. They’re not willing to send a guide with the PCs, but will direct them to a nearby aarakokra community who are fairly peaceful. They turn out to be very bribeable with gold and gems, and one in 10 of them speak Common, so it should be a fruitful relationship.

I would play up the relationship between the human village and aarakokra one - have regular trade, maybe a shared festival or two where they host the other community, etc. Keep.

83: Terror from the Ground
The PCs have been travelling across farming country, and receiving good hospitality because people like having heavily armed wanderers around in case of bulette attacks. And what should suddenly burst out of the ground as they’re passing a random farm but… a bulette an ankheg! drat, being a farmer in AD&D-land is even rougher than being one in real life.

Anyway it grabs a farmer but will drop them if attacked, and can be driven off by taking it to half HP. The farmer’s family will be very grateful, etc., and “the farmer demands that the party members take his great grandmother’s locket, a gold-and-diamond inlay piece worth 300 gp.” Nice tidbit there. Keep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I remember Ankhegs from Baldur's Gate 1. Especially the quest where you get asked by a local ranger to reduce their numbers a little as deputy game wardens but very much not to wipe them out, as they're necessary to the soil quality in the area and farmers depend on a manageable population (that won't outstrip natural food sources and start attacking humans again).

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Dallbun posted:

81: March of the Dead
The PCs set up camp for the night, set up their watch rotation as you do, and then around midnight hear the sound of marching. It’s just an entire undead army headed their way. Hundreds of skeletons and zombies, not in formation but all headed directly toward some distant objective. The PCs have ten rounds to get out of the way, and anything they leave behind will get trampled - otherwise, twenty-odd skeletons will attack them but the others who don’t draw quite as close will ignore them.

This tickles me. I can just imagine some necromancer villain with their real time strategy game UI selecting “attack move” with this army of cannon fodder and then turning their attention to micromanaging their death knights or whatever. Keep even though I’m gonna need to think fast, because there’s no way the PCs don’t follow this army to see what’s going on.

I'm a great fan of "magic gone rogue"-scenarios where some magical creature or device obeys a literal command and just does what it's told, and because no one pays attention to it, it has unforeseen consequences, possibly even because it's doing something long after the people who set it up have died.

If the players hang around, I'd definitely have the out-of-breath and dishevelled-looking necromancer/lich lord show up and ask if anyone's seen his army of the undead, because he told them to "conquer the fortress to the west" several months ago and after conquering one, the skeletons have just kept going, and he's yet to manage to catch up with them, and they're racking up quite the number of vendettas against him.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cooked Auto posted:

A part of me is annoyed that Soulbound has by now gotten two erratas while the promised Wrath & Glory one is nowhere to be seen. I wish I knew what was holding it back.

Well Soulbound has now gotten Three Erratas, and Wrath and Glory has gotten its first one.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well Soulbound has now gotten Three Erratas, and Wrath and Glory has gotten its first one.

Yeah I just noticed it on my twitter feed. About drat time.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
Silent Legions: Build-a-Cthulhu Workshop

Finally, we arrive at what is probably the centerpiece of Silent Legions, and definitely the reason I bought this book in the first place: the Mythos Creation chapter. Prepare yourselves for Table Heaven.

Before we get to the actual generators, there’s a healthy few pages on the themes that make up Lovecraftian horror. Each theme is discussed in some detail, along with reasons why you would or wouldn’t want to emphasize it in a given campaign. I appreciate this, even if it’s a section I largely skimmed – I definitely know what I want out of weird-horror fiction, but for someone who’s less familiar with the genre, having everything laid out in detail is really nice. For themes, we have:
  • Cosmicism, which is not a real word. It refers directly to Lovecraft’s literary philosophy – that there’s no God or divine presence, and that humans are insignificant before the vastness of intergalactic existence. This is one of those themes that I consider core to Lovecraft-derived gaming, but it’s also one that will be subverted at every table – no one wants to play a game (aside from a one-shot, maybe) where your protagonists fail to achieve anything, go mad, and die. It’s also not an inherently scary concept, at least not to me or my usual gaming groups. Maybe in the 20s, the concept of humanity-as-insignificant was more frightening, but I can’t imagine anyone (player or character) in a modern-day setting having much of a reaction to the concept. To me, cosmicism is best deployed when it comes to the mindset of Outer Powers, aliens, and other such beings. I’m not a fan of Derleth-style “goodish vs evilish” cosmologies – a good Cthulhu should be unknowable!
  • Malevolence is a theme that exists in contrast to cosmicism. A more malevolent mythos is one that actively seeks to hurt you, your friends, and humanity in general. The two entities the book uses to compare are Cthulhu (for cosmicism) and Satan (for malevolence). Both will probably kill you, but only one will do it because it fuckin’ hates your guts. As you might guess, malevolence isn’t one of my preferred thematic elements. I love horror that exists at the intersection of the knowable and the unknowable, that have the protagonists struggling to develop the barest understanding of something that exists at right angles to our understanding of the universe. A big scary monster who just hates you because it feeds on pain or gets off on it or whatever is just a little bit less interesting – to me, at least.
  • Gnosticism, at least in Silent Legions, can be understood as “knowledge = power.” In campaigns that emphasize gnostic themes, knowledge fundamentally changes and marks you – dangerous truths can change the world or break those unable to bear their new understanding. Obviously, this is a classic pulp-horror trope: the spell that blinds you as you read it; the awful truth that drives you mad to comprehend it. I’ll freely admit that I love this poo poo, even if it is a very, very pervasive element in a lot of Mythos-adjacent works.
  • Violence refers to what you’d expect – the more you emphasize this theme, the more bloody and gun-focused your campaign will be. Crawford notes a few mechanical adjustments you can make (making PCs not take Slaughtering damage, dialing back Madness gains from bloodshed triggers) that will help turn the knob from “occult investigation” to “two-fisted pulp action.” He also makes a point of saying you should explain how violence will be treated at the start of a campaign, so no one makes Guns Man in a game where being able to translate Enochian will be more important than cracking cultist skulls.
  • Madness is the final Lovecraftian theme. Once again, the book emphasizes the difference between what I’ll call “cosmic insanity” and actual mental illness, reminding the reader that capital-M Madness derives from “exposure to ideas and truths that the human mind simply cannot encompass and cannot endure.” This is muddied somewhat by the fact that “mundane” acts of violence also give you Madness, but I’d rather have a mechanical system that discourages violence and torture than one that’s 100% thematically-consistent but allows for consequence-free (game-system-wise) murder.
Mythos Creation
The first step in creating our new mythos is picking a few traits for our incipient pantheon. Last time, I put up a poll asking the thread to pick their favourite traits from the table below.

The Pantheon Traits table.

The top three selections were Immanence, Necrotheology, and Relicts. First off, I’m gonna roll to see how many dieties and pantheons we’re dealing with, then divide up the traits according to my own ineffable whims. I get a 3 on the Number of Deities table, which means we have 2d4 gods divided into two different pantheons. I got 2 deities, total, on that 2d4 roll, so let’s bump it up a few (to five, let’s say) so we have more than one god per pantheon.

Three yet-to-be-created gods make up Pantheon One, and I’ll give this pantheon the traits of Immanence and Necrotheology. Two gods belong to Pantheon Two, which will have Relicts trait. Just for fun, I rolled on the table myself and got Conquerors for our second pantheon, which ties in nicely with the first pantheon being, y’know, mostly dead. For the sake of not writing out “pantheon one” a bunch, let’s call our first pantheon The Once-Kings and the second pantheon The Returned Brethren (returned pronounced in the annoying way). Based on these hastily-assigned names and their traits, I’ve come up with the overarching story for our two pantheons. Once the general concept is out of the way, I’ll roll up the specific gods for both pantheons.

The blood of the Once-Kings runs through every river on Earth. Their titanic forms, which once bestrode entire galaxies, now slumber in countless pieces, torn apart by wars beyond mortal comprehension. What we call continents are but the slightest part of these ancient gods – shards of blood and bone that lie in higher dimensions than our own. Their strange gravity presses down into our world, leaving the impression of earth and ocean like some impossible palimpsest.

Gods cannot die, but they can become… reduced. Splintered, broken, forgotten. The Once-Kings, who stood at the head of an army of universe-soldiers at the dawn of time, now lie in pieces. Their dominion has been inherited by the Returned Brethren, parasite-gods who fed on the colossal energies of their now-dead hosts. In the aeons since the end of the Once-Kings, the Brethren have grown, extending their venomous growths across uncounted universes. Even now, they tread carefully, fearful (if such beings can feel fear) of the Once-Kings’ dread awakening.

Our overall themes established, let’s make some goddamn gods! I’ll go through the first one in detail, then just list out what I got for the other four. So – let’s roll a d100 and find out what portfolio our first god is concerned with. A 31 gets us Hunger. Next, we have to roll on the modes table to find out if our god is concerned with the creation, destruction, control, or sight (in the oracular sense) of hunger. Our god is a creation god, apparently, and a quick roll on the subsidiary epithet table ends up with Forge (this is just for the god’s title).

The Epithet table.

The next two tables are all to help with naming the god. First, a d8 roll to decide how its title is written (result: Adjective Epithet Noun) and then a few rolls on the Words table (it doesn’t have a name so I call it Words) gives us some words to play with: Radiant, Fuligin, and Alabaster. Fuligin and alabaster are kind of opposite (and a sooty black works with forge) so let’s drop that last one and give this god the title of The Fuligin Forge of Hunger. Finally, let’s take a trip to the end of the book and use the Lovecraftian name generator. It’s a noble effort, but I’d just use an online generator for this purpose – as you’ll see in a sec, it’s a lot of work for a medium payoff.

The Syllable Structure chart.

The god’s basic name structure (d10 roll) is Name, Epithet – about as simple as it gets. For the name, I roll 1d6+1 to find out how many syllables we need (a grand total of 3), then use the Syllable Structure chart (this game has Charts) to see what format each syllable will take: VCCV, CV-V, and VCCV. The Vs and Cs refer to vowels and consonants, and you’d best believe there’s a d20 chart for both (obviously with duplicates for the vowels). All together, our name ends up being (split up by syllable): IRRO CE-I OCTU, or Irroce-Ioctu, the Fuligin Forge of Hunger. An actually somewhat pronounceable name! Just for fun, let’s try using the whole syllables chart – a coin flip to decide if a syllable will be from the vowelled or unvowelled list, then a d20 roll to see what syllable we get. The alternate name: Looigub, which… isn’t great. I’m gonna stick with the first result!
Skimming over the rolls for the rest of the pantheons, our final list of deities is as follows.

The Once-Kings (Immanence, Necrotheology)
Irroce-Ioctu, the Fuligin Forge of Hunger (Portfolio: Hunger/Create)
Ie-Yz’bio’rxfe-D, known to some as The All-Craving Eye of Flame (Portfolio: Flame/Destroy)
Aibnuy’fxuay, known to some as The Seer of the Watchful Dark (Portfolio: Shadows/See)

The Returned Brethren (Relicts, Conquerors)
Ofdiopvi-I’rv-Y’rzte-Z, known to some as Pontifex of the Consuming Thorns (Portfolio: Dreams/Control)
Qecamicbuuzgeay-Iz-Pi, known to some as The Rotting Scarlet Prince (Portfolio: Music/Control)

At other points in this review I’ve fudged a few rolls or picked results that fit better, but I promise you I followed the rules on name generation down to the letter for all five gods. As you can see, only one is within the realm of human pronounceability, and none of the others really have any coherent rhythm to how they’re spelled or even theoretically spoken aloud. Maybe that’s authentically weird, but presumably these are names that have been conveyed in one way or another to human worshippers, and good goddamn if I’m having a cultist try and say Ie-Yz’bio’rxfe-D out loud. Crawford put in a valiant effort on the name generator, but unfortunately the quality of the results speak for themselves, I think.

Thoughts so far: Names aside, rolling up gods is fun and quick (just use an online generator, I promise you it’ll be better!) You don’t get much help in terms of fleshing out the specific gods, but honestly a general portfolio and specific focus is probably good enough to be used as fodder for cult generation (stay tuned!)

Next time: Aliens! I don’t really like aliens in my occult horror BUT there are some excellent tables in this section, so you know we’re going to town on those bad boys.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Using a program like Vulgar for your fantasy god names (just refresh until you get something that feels right, then pick words off the provided list) might be a better way to handle weird cthulhu names,

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

mellonbread posted:

I had never heard of it until you brought it up. I can't tell from looking at it if the end result is actually a playable dungeon that you can take a group of players through, or if "dungeon creation" is just the theme.

It's more of the theme. You won't map it down to individual, keyed, rooms but you will get "fire giants moved in here, there's an otyugh population nearby" or "a dark elf civilization was over here, now antlings moved in to some of the chambers"

You start the Primordial Age by throwing dice at a sheet of paper and filling in an origin story, caves, caverns, magma pools, and whatnot.

The the Age of Civilization begins. Pick a civ (dwarves, dark elves, magicians, or demons) and play through several rounds as they grow, dig new areas, accumulate treasure, and finally fall. There are simple rules guiding this, but you'll have as much creative input as you like.

After the Fall, the Age of Monsters begins. Monsters spawn on the map, sometimes fight each other, some die out or leave, and one group eventually becomes dominant. They will be the Big Bad in the...

Age of Villainy ! The dominant monsters become either The Horde or The Empire and follow their own lifecycle as before until they stagnate or conquer the world.

At any point you can stop, draw some detailed maps, and send your players in. Every stage of the game is loaded with adventure hooks. If you play through the whole thing and keep notes, you've got an Underground with a deep history for your players to explore.

I've done two. My maps kind of end up like this person's,

And I've seen some really good maps from people with visual talent.

Playable demo version:
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/299498/How-to-Host-a-Dungeon-FREE-VERSION

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Manual of the Planes: 3.5E

Acheron (Lawful Evil)

Planar Traits: Objective Directional Gravity, Normal Time, Infinite Size, Mildly Law-Aligned, Divinely Morphic, Normal Magic

Acheron petitioners are immune to electricity and sonics, and resistant to fire and cold.

Acheron is a plane of unending war. Acheron is a plane where might makes right, and the weak follow the strong. There is little on Acheron but endless battle and preparation for the next.

Most of Acheron consists of vast iron cubes drifting in an endless void. These cubes range from small islands to the size of continents, and many have quite varied geography beyond the metallic ground. Mountains and canyons (mainly caused by the impact of one cube drifting into another) are common, as are rivers of blood and tributaries of the Styx, the latter of which tend to well up out of deep craters before cascading into the void with no regard for the objective directional gravity common to the plane. There is no sun on Acheron, just a sourceless glow, and every twelve hours night descends on most of the plane where 'stars' visible from the surface of a cube are the fires and lights burning on other cubes.

Petitioners on Acheron closely resemble their former selves, if often visibly dirtier and wearier. Acheron attracts souls with a deep need for order, but have a selfish lust for power or a propensity for cruelty or brutality. Most of Acheron's petitioners were soldiers or officials of powerful institutions in life, drawn to the plane where the army is the core unit of social organization. Acheron petitioners rarely retain much conscious memory of their lives, but most of them bring skills and abilities they had in life, particularly those relevant to warfare.

Acheronian petitioners instinctively form themselves into armies on the plane, intent on defending their cube or section thereof, and conquering others. This eternal army life is what most society on Acheron consists of: armies on campaigns without beginning or end, and no true objective beyond killing the other guy. Of course, most petitioners on Acheron wouldn't have it any other way, this is all they need to be happy. The charismatic and cunning and strong always rise to the top of leadership in these armies, and on very rare occasion a leader of singular vision arises to impart more specific direction to an army... before they are inevitably killed in battle or unseated by ambitious officers. Most true outsiders in Acheron prefer to not engage with petitioners at all, and keep to themselves. Besides fiends keeping fortresses and secure outposts here away from prying eyes, formians and other beings from Mechanus have attempted to establish themselves in the plane - with most attempts ending in bloody failure. If there's one thing that can get multiple armies on Acheron cooperating, it's the promise of a common enemy not from around here.

Avalas, the first layer, is synonymous with the plane and more heavily populated than the rest of the plane put together. Notable cubes here are Clangor, home of the goblin pantheon; Nishrek, home of the orc pantheon; and Scourgehold, home to the Greyhawk god of tyranny. All three are fortified as only the domains of evil gods of war can be, and all are best avoided unless truly dire purpose demands.

Thuldanin, the second layer, is a realm of wreckage and debris. The cubes of Thuldanin are covered in the detritus of every imaginable battlefield: wrecked sailing ships, flying machines, swords, gunpowder weapons, magical constructs, siege towers, and more. All of this is preserved for eternity by a strange quality of the plane that traps materials (and visitors!) in a sort of permanent stasis if not protected by powerful magic. Where exactly all this wreckage comes from is an open question, some theorize that Acheron itself takes tribute from the wreckage of every battlefield in the cosmos, others think that the layer creates otherworldly copies of the fallen materiel of great battles - petitioners, in a strange way. Very little moves on Thuldanin, mostly in the form of scavengers and salvagers looking for something valuable enough to risk the layer's perils. After all, any conceivable means of destruction - including magic items - can be found here, if rarely in immediately operable condition for anything more complex than a blade or spear.

Tintibulus is different from the previous layers in that rather than cubes, the layer is filled with geometric solids of any number of sides. These solids are made of a grey volcanic stone rather than iron, and throw off vast clouds of dust when they collide. A thin layer of dust permeates the entire layer, and few beings live here.

Ocanthus is a layer of eternal night and slicing blades. The surfaces of Ocanthus are thin, razor sharp shards of black ice, some merely needles and others blades the size of continents. Simply being on Ocanthus deals substantial slashing damage every turn from the eternal blade storm, which can pierce many (though not all) forms of magical protection. These shards calve constantly from an infinite sheet of black ice at the heart of the layer, splintering and fragmenting until they grind themselves into black dust. Rumors about the ice sheet of Ocanthus are common: that it is somehow part of the River Styx, that it is a prison for some being of titanic power, that it is the gateway to an even deeper layer of Acheron that none know of, and that's just three of the most common. Nothing is truly known by planar scholars. Wee Jas, Greyhawk's goddess of death and magic, keeps her divine realm built into this ice sheet, though the goddess herself is rarely present in favor of wandering the ice for unknown purposes.

Next time, Outlands!

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Is it just me, or are the planes on the Evil side of the spectrum a lot more same-y than the Good side? They're pretty much all desolate wastes, usually with some kind of constant environmental danger and endless internecine warfare under squabbling demon warlords. You'd think the lawful end would be ruled by some vast, unchanging, malevolent empire or something, but no, it's random tiny armies skirmishing forever while poo poo crashes into other poo poo. I guess... cubes == law? Is that it?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

megane posted:

Is it just me, or are the planes on the Evil side of the spectrum a lot more same-y than the Good side?

They seem like monotonous shitholes to me as well so it’s not just you.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
It's not just you, the evil planes are remarkably bad and boring. No idea how Acheron isn't chaotic evil instead of lawful evil unless the author is a strong believer in social darwinism or something. But I'm pretty sure it's just because they don't know how to write evil.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

megane posted:

Is it just me, or are the planes on the Evil side of the spectrum a lot more same-y than the Good side? They're pretty much all desolate wastes, usually with some kind of constant environmental danger and endless internecine warfare under squabbling demon warlords. You'd think the lawful end would be ruled by some vast, unchanging, malevolent empire or something, but no, it's random tiny armies skirmishing forever while poo poo crashes into other poo poo. I guess... cubes == law? Is that it?

Yeah, it's a real pity, because the Abyss and the Nine Hells aren't really all that different to begin with (various miserable places overseen by tyrants constantly trying to replace each other), which you could maybe do something with, but then the other lower planes all feel like they could easily be layers of one of those two.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Acheron is the soldier just following order type of evil and pointless wars without end.

It can be compared to it's opposite on the wheel Ysgard which involves heroic battle and glory.

Though for the Orc and Goblin Pantheon it's more like Ysgard as those guys actually resurrect at the end of the day and have built powerful Empires on the plane.

Hell and the Abyss are still the standouts of the Lower Planes. Though shockingly despite it's pathetic entry here, I have become more fond of Gehenna.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Ultiville posted:

Yeah, it's a real pity, because the Abyss and the Nine Hells aren't really all that different to begin with (various miserable places overseen by tyrants constantly trying to replace each other), which you could maybe do something with, but then the other lower planes all feel like they could easily be layers of one of those two.

The Nine Hells has more....politics, than the Abyss? The Princes of the Nine Hells are constantly allying with each other against common enemies, only to betray each other when they get the chance, whereas the Demon Lords tend to be very solitary and antisocial.

I also have sort of a weak spot for the yugoloths. They're very much Saturday morning cartoon villains.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Epicurius posted:

I also have sort of a weak spot for the yugoloths. They're very much Saturday morning cartoon villains.

I've read this entire book and still don't know what a yugoloth is beyond a NE fiend and how you'd distinguish one from a demon or devil.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Though shockingly despite it's pathetic entry here, I have become more fond of Gehenna.

There is nothing worth commenting on about Gehenna in this book. Woo, yugoloths. What's a yugoloth? Not in this book, sucker.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cythereal posted:

There is nothing worth commenting on about Gehenna in this book. Woo, yugoloths. What's a yugoloth? Not in this book, sucker.

The 5e Monster Manual gave more interesting things about Gehenna then the 3e Manual of the Planes. It's kind of shame.

The General's Walking Castle at least looks cool though.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Cythereal posted:

I've read this entire book and still don't know what a yugoloth is beyond a NE fiend and how you'd distinguish one from a demon or devil.

NE fiends, divided into different ranks that each look like a different sort of animal person and has different specialties. Ultimate mercenaries, will sell themselves out to the highest bidder. Making a fortune as soldiers for both sides in the Blood War between the Hells and the Abyss....possibly caused and are perpetuating said blood war, both for the money and because they like killing things. Arrogant manipulators who always get shocked when they're manipulated themselves. Ruled over by this mysterious leader called "The General", who nobody ever sees. Possibly created the demons and devils to start with or possibly created the predecessors to the demons and devils, the Baatorians and the Obyrth, or possibly didn't do any of that and just like bragging.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Cythereal posted:

Motivation-wise, yuguloths are strictly self-serving. A given yugoloth is going to do what is in it's own best interest 100% of the time, and tend to not have long-term plans or goals beyond "doing what is in my own best interest 100% of the time". They're not out to conquer the world like devils or destroy the world in order to build something more to their liking like demons, which means they're almost entirely mercenary in attitudes. Dealing with yugoloths means always keeping in mind what it is they're trying to accomplish, because their motivations are a little more complicated than mere control or destruction. Demons frequently do things either for no reason or because they can, devils are always geared towards control and domination. Yugoloths want stuff, so finding a bunch of yugoloths hanging out at, say, an abandoned ruin is super troubling, because they don't do things for predictable reasons. They're at the ruin because there's something at the ruin they want, because if there wasn't then by definition they wouldn't be there.

Visually? They're angry spikey boys, usually with some kind of animal head.

Froghammer fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 25, 2020

CHIMlord
Jul 1, 2012
Fivemarks, I hope I'm not stepping on your F&F, but I gotta make Shrek in Fantasycraft

Let's start with a concept first. Shrek is an ogre. Fivemarks covered their stats previously. I would assume Shrek’s Origin Skills are Bluff (he’s a surprisingly good liar) and Intimidate. I considered giving him the Fist specialty (he’s athletic and knows how to throw hands), but I think the Peasant specialty from the Adventure Companion best suits him. This gives him Great Fortitude (+3 base Fortitude save and 4 extra wounds), the Edged weapon proficiency, a rank in Resolve for every rank he puts in the Survival skill, an extra Ride skill focus in addition to the one you get for putting a rank in ride (I’ll say it’s Riding Mounts), and +2 Prudence. At Career Level 1, Shrek gets a feat. I’m going to give him Contempt, which gives him a free attack against a standard character (i.e. a nameless mook or background character) once in a combat round, usable a number of times per combat encounter equal to his number of starting Action Dice (3d4 at CL1).

Now for his career. Shrek knows how to fight, but I think where he really shines is working with a team, so I’ll give him the Captain Base Class, one of the Fantasycraft equivalents of the D&D Warlord. The Captain’s Core Ability is Cadre, which allows Shrek to temporarily grant his teammates one of his Basic Combat feats until the end of a scene, once per scene as a free action. Shrek’s Great Fortitude and Contempt are Basic Combat feats, so he already makes his team tougher just by rolling with them. At CL1, the Captain also gets the Right-Hand Man ability, which gives Shrek the Personal Lieutenant feat and allows his Basic Combat feat to count as Style Feats when determining the lieutenant’s XP value. This represents Donkey (Puss-in-Boots is a Pech Fencer with the Burglar class). I may use the NPC rules to make Donkey later, but he’s a special character (named PC-equivalent NPC) valued at 65 XP with a Threat Level of 1. Fantasycraft has stats for a non-sapient donkey on page 270 (they’re under “Horses” for some reason). Captain gives Shrek 4 starting proficiencies. He’ll spend one each on the Hurled and Blunt proficiencies, and two more for an Unarmed forte.

Shrek starts with 24 skill points at first level. I’ll spend them thus:

Athletics 4
Bluff 3
Intimidate 4
Notice 4
Ride 1 (and the Flying Mounts focus)
Survival 4 (which gives him 4 ranks in Resolve)
Tactics 4

Shrek’s leather vest counts as partial leather armour, giving him Damage Reduction 1 and Fire Resistance 3. Shrek also spends the 10 Reputation points he gets as a CL character to buy a cottage, a Scale 3 Holding that can support 10 guests.

Shrek isn’t terribly optimized for combat (he doesn’t seem to own any weapons), but that’s to be expected of a character from a kids’ movie.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Froghammer posted:

Motivation-wise, yuguloths are strictly self-serving. A given yugoloth is going to do what is in it's own best interest 100% of the time, and tend to not have long-term plans or goals beyond "doing what is in my own best interest 100% of the time". They're not out to conquer the world like devils or destroy the world in order to build something more to their liking like demons, which means they're almost entirely mercenary in attitudes. Dealing with yugoloths means always keeping in mind what it is they're trying to accomplish, because their motivations are a little more complicated than mere control or destruction. Demons frequently do things either for no reason or because they can, devils are always geared towards control and domination. Yugoloths want stuff, so finding a bunch of yugoloths hanging out at, say, an abandoned ruin is super troubling, because they don't do things for predictable reasons. They're at the ruin because there's something at the ruin they want, because if there wasn't then by definition they wouldn't be there.

Visually? They're angry spikey boys, usually with some kind of animal head.

To add on to this. Because of their selfish mercenary nature. They tend to be the easiest of the fiends to reason with. While Devils can be reasoned with if they don't have direct orders that make that impossible, any attempt at dealing with them will involve them trying to screw you over in some way, even if they will keep their word in the end. Demons are impossible to really reason with, if they want to talk it will just be demands and threats from them, or attempts at manipulation if they are the smarter kind that will break down if the Demon gives up on it. The Yugoloths meanwhile are purely selfish and will do any job if they feel they are compensated the right amount. While they are not under any obligation to keep their word, keeping a steady and or rewarding job is normally all the motive they really need to stay loyal.
Still the whole motivated only by self interest means that they can easily turn on jobs if that self interest takes them in a different direction, such as a better pay-day. Still even Yugoloths have some standards the elite shock troopers called Nycaloths are known for taking pride in their loyalty. If they find a master that treats them well, they won't turn on them unless the reward for doing so is way way better than their old offer.

Reminds me of some recent lore that states they are actually very open in their bargains about how selfish they are. When they make a service contract with an employer, they will refuse any contract that says they can't seek out a better offer.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Another neat thing about yuguloths and the Blood War is that while they happily hire themselves out as mercenaries for both sides (even fighting yuguloths on the other side), and while there are a lot of battles of the Blood War in Gehenna, they refuse to accept contracts unless it's written that they won't be made to fight in Gehenna. This is because, if you're a native of an outer plane, and you're killed somewhere other than your home plane, your body dissolves, and then after time passes, you reform on your home plane. While this is time consuming, inconvenient, and the process is a little unpleasant, the yugoloth accept it as a cost of doing business. If you die on your home plane, you're gone forever. So yugoloths tend to not even be physically violent against each other on their home plane. They'll gladly manipulate and humiliate each other to gain advantage, but actual physical violence is just too risky, and while the average yugoloth doesn't care if another yugoloth is horribly killed, they each know that once that genie is out of the bottle, they're personally at risk. And since a yugoloth doesn't value anything more than itself and its own well being, they are the most risk averse creatures in the entire multiverse.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Epicurius posted:

Another neat thing about yuguloths and the Blood War is that while they happily hire themselves out as mercenaries for both sides (even fighting yuguloths on the other side), and while there are a lot of battles of the Blood War in Gehenna, they refuse to accept contracts unless it's written that they won't be made to fight in Gehenna. This is because, if you're a native of an outer plane, and you're killed somewhere other than your home plane, your body dissolves, and then after time passes, you reform on your home plane. While this is time consuming, inconvenient, and the process is a little unpleasant, the yugoloth accept it as a cost of doing business. If you die on your home plane, you're gone forever. So yugoloths tend to not even be physically violent against each other on their home plane. They'll gladly manipulate and humiliate each other to gain advantage, but actual physical violence is just too risky, and while the average yugoloth doesn't care if another yugoloth is horribly killed, they each know that once that genie is out of the bottle, they're personally at risk. And since a yugoloth doesn't value anything more than itself and its own well being, they are the most risk averse creatures in the entire multiverse.

Some recent lore states they are willing to fight in Gehenna despite the risk. However the cost to do so is high and causes the yugoloth leaders the ultroloths to notice. (And the lesser yugoloths are terrified of the ultroloths, being the only beings that they will loyally obey without compensation.)

quote:

Regardless of the side that hires them, yugoloths almost never fight on their home plane of Gehenna despite the fact that both sides sometimes traverse it and many battles of the Blood War are fought there. A yugoloth killed in Gehenna can’t be restored to life except through an exceptional ritual, so the sums required to entice one to fight on its home plane are astronomical … and making such a bargain always draws the attention of the ultroloths.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jul 25, 2020

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

S T A R M E T A L C A S T E
I do like how
  • Devils become baatezu become devils.
  • Demons become tanar’ri become demons.
  • Daemons become yugoloths. What’s a daemon? Just a nickname.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The whole 'usually just get banished, but if you can somehow fight them on their home plane they die for real' thing is actually one of my favorite things about D&D demons. Doesn't it apply to all Outsiders, too?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Night10194 posted:

The whole 'usually just get banished, but if you can somehow fight them on their home plane they die for real' thing is actually one of my favorite things about D&D demons. Doesn't it apply to all Outsiders, too?

Not all of them. Angels, Slaadi, Modrons seem to just die when killed. Modrons though have a set number, and killing one just causes a new one to take their place. The fiends tend to be the only ones who this rule applies to. Then of couse there is the creatures native to Ysgard and servants of the evil gods on Acheron who are immortal only on their home plane.

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010
With AC 6, two attacks, and an additional rake if their claw attack hits, a domestic cat is deadlier than

The Deck of Encounters Set Two Part 17: The Deck of Bats and Bears (Bug- and non)

84: Cloud of Darkness
In a small forest down, everyone is freaked out because there’s been a dark cloud over the lake every dusk since summer began, and an ancient prophecy written by the seers who settled the town foretold that a cloud of blackness over the still waters “means imminent destruction.” Everybody is preparing for the end times, stocking up at Costco, that kind of thing.

It turns out it’s just bats who have settled the underside of the north bridge in large numbers, and who emerge at night to feed on insects in great numbers. The villagers will pay the PCs some if they settle this mystery.

Okay, but just because the dark cloud is bats doesn’t mean that destruction is not imminent. I would definitely have the town be reduced to a smoking crater the next time the party passes through. Keep.

P.S.: The card provides stats for Bats (5000). They each have one hit point, AC 8, a THAC0 of 20, and deal 1 damage. Clearly, this is relevant information for the encounter.

85: The Book’s Cover
The PCs are going to an “eerie, frightening forest castle” to meet with “an important, yet supposedly disturbed, vassal, Baron von Vladerik.” Wait, a vassal? Like, their own vassal? Or they have a lord and this is their vassal? This is a low-level encounter, though. Why are they here again?

Anyway, a hunchbacked assistant lets them in while “another servant, the lovely Menya,” shows them into the foyer and offers a bit of refreshment while they wait for the baron. She’s polite but doesn’t have anything interesting to say. They hear footsteps approaching, a bat flies into the room, and then the man himself “dressed in exquisite fineries,” comes in. The bat is just a pet, and the baron is “quite normal and willing to deal with the party members.” Deal with them about what, again? A statblock is given for the bat, for some reason.

I am not 100% sure that I am capable of running this encounter without making the NPCs into Riff-Raff, Magenta, and Dr. Frank N. Furter. That is not necessarily a minus. Regardless, the card isn’t quite playable as is. You can’t even really use it as a quest, because the reasons for the PCs being there are pretty… unclear. I have to pass.

86: Lumbering Death
The PCs are travelling through the mountains and there’s a storm but hey, there are some caves that they can make it to to take cover in! How convenient!

“However, as they begin to set up camp , the characters hear a low growl come from one of the small chambers around the corner.” Which the PCs definitely did not explore before they began setting up camp. Whatever.

Anyway it’s a bear and the bear is pissed at the intrusion and also because it’s protecting a bear cub. There’s like 90 gp worth of treasure and some mundane equipment in the back from previous victims.

This thing hits every mountain cave trope and every bear trope simultaneously, with no twists at all. Pass and I’ll immediately forget that it ever existed.

87: Entrapment
The PCs are in a dungeon and find two bugbears in cages who ask to be freed. If the PCs won’t, the bugbears will call them cowards, and then bargain with a magic wand that they claim is of fireballs, and that they heard the command word for but cannot use (because they’re not wizards).

If freed they’ll “attack unarmed or flee, depending on the party’s apparent strength.” Just how weak does your party have to seem for two unarmed bugbears to try to pick a fight with you? If they flee they’ll throw the wand away in hopes that the party goes after it instead of them. It’s actually of paralyzation, and the command word will have to be identified. Sure. Keep.

88: Bigger and Better Prey
The PCs are in a dungeon and find some short humanoid skeletons still wearing weapons and armor. Marks on the floor suggest that they’ve been dragged into the room. I have no idea why that matters, because a naked goblin bolts into the room and tries to bolt the door behind him, but is pursued by six bugbears that were hunting it. If they protect the cowering goblin it’ll be able to lead them to the bugbears’ lair, which has like 300 gp of coinage and a dagger +1 that’s all, because vanilla +1 weapons are so boring it makes me want to cry.

If you run this encounter, that goblin is probably going to end up being adopted by the party. So if you don’t have enough random weirdos following the PCs around yet, then keep.

89: Sound of the Dying
The PCs hear a cacophony echoing through the dungeons, and can trace it back to eight bugbears getting blotto on “a dozen open casks of wine and ale.” They are no threat whatsoever, but if the PCs threaten them, they’ll start shouting insults and eight sober bugbears will run in and fight.

Seems more likely that the PCs will want to party with the bugbears than kill them, really. Keep.

90: The Birthing
In a dungeon, the PCs run into a carrion crawler laying eggs in the corpse of a bugbear. She summons her mate pheremonally when disturbed. The mate has undigested bracers of defence AC 6 in its innards.

Very plain, but I enjoy an occasional spot of dungeon ecology. Keep.

Dallbun fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 26, 2020

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The Outlands (True Neutral)

Planar Traits: Objective Directional Gravity, Normal Time, Infinite Size, Divinely Morphic, Normal Magic

The Impeded Magic, and then Limited Magic, traits apply as you approach the center of the planes.

Outlands petitioners are immune to electricity and polymorph, resistant to acid, and have damage reduction (pierced by magical weapons).

The Outlands is the hub of the Great Wheel. The Outlands is the neutral meeting ground of the Outer Planes. This is a plane of uncharted wilderness that borders all the Outer Planes, and the home of Sigil.

The Outlands is a circular plane that forms the hub of the Great Wheel. Like the hour signs on the face of a clock, each Outer Plane borders the Outlands and has a town representing that plane at the edge of the Outlands. The closer one travels to each of the borders, the more like that plane the region becomes. The nature of the Outlands is such that anything and anyone can be found here, from archons of Mount Celestia to demons of the Abyss, and for the most part an unspoken truce holds sway here (for the most part, formian hives are regularly founded and attacked on the law-ward side of the plane). Most of the plane is wilderness, non-intelligent monsters of all stripes are more common than petitioners and sentient outsiders, and continuous civilization is rare.

Petitioners are rare in the Outlands beyond the borders of divine realms, but they do exist. Most look similar to how they did in life, and keep to themselves in small communities here. The Outlands attract both those devoted to a cosmic idea of balance, and the simply apathetic whose souls fail to gravitate towards any of the other Outer Planes. These sorts of truly neutral souls seem to be distinctly rare, so petitioner communities in the Outlands are small and generally peaceful (more so those on the good-ward and law-ward sides of the plane). There have, however, been unconfirmed reports of those petitioners truly intent on a cosmic idea of balance gathering in increasing numbers, so much so that the area might take on a Strongly Neutral-Aligned trait that penalizes deviations on both the good-evil and law-chaos axes. If such areas do exist, they are likely avoided by the denizens of other planes.

In the center of the Outlands is the Spire, a mountain of apparently infinite height orbited by the ringworld-like City of Doors, Sigil. The Spire appears to emanate the Impeded Magic and Limited Magic traits that specifically affect divine magic. There's a brief blurb about Sigil here, but if you're reading this review you know what Sigil is.

Much like the Plane of Shadow, distances in the Outlands seem strangely morphable: no destination is ever more than a few weeks away anywhere on the plane regardless of any roads, rivers, or lack thereof. This feature, which has no apparent cause, is another factor in the Outlands being a popular neutral meeting ground and trade hub for the planes.

Two Greyhawk deities make their homes in the Outlands. Obad-Hai, the god of nature, is a realm of perfected nature in all its forms: every half-mile or so things change terrain, climate, season, and even time of day dramatically, and is home to almost any non-magical creature conceivable. This divine realm is nearly impossible to find on purpose except by Obad-Hai's faithful, but travelers in the Outlands who become well and truly lost often find themselves in the Hidden Wood. A very fortunate few live long enough to escape. Boccob, god of magic and knowledge, maintains as his realm a vast library perched on the edge of a cliff, with a single stairway entrance protected by fearsome guardians that answer to Boccob alone. The god's library includes a copy of every text and every non-artifact magic item created by mortals in planes where Boccob is worshiped, and so mortal adventurers regularly seek permission to peruse the collection. These requests are very rarely granted, typically only when the cause is truly urgent.

Next is a chapter on creating demiplanes using the rules provided near the start of the book that has nothing interesting, so I'll be skipping right along to the bestiary.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
I'm surprised the MoP doesn't mention Ilsensine's Realm in the Outlands, that seems like a much more important location, realm-wise.

Also I'm always disappointed by how many encounters with trapped monsters end with "AND IF THE PC'S FREE THEM, THEY'RE UNTHANKFUL/VIOLENT FUCKS." Like how hard would it be for the bugbears to be thankful and offer the PC's a password that lets them pass by the nearby bugbear bandit ambushes unassaulted or without having to pay to get thorugh, etc. by being identified as friends of the local bugbears by the password.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

I'm surprised the MoP doesn't mention Ilsensine's Realm in the Outlands, that seems like a much more important location, realm-wise.

Also I'm always disappointed by how many encounters with trapped monsters end with "AND IF THE PC'S FREE THEM, THEY'RE UNTHANKFUL/VIOLENT FUCKS." Like how hard would it be for the bugbears to be thankful and offer the PC's a password that lets them pass by the nearby bugbear bandit ambushes unassaulted or without having to pay to get thorugh, etc. by being identified as friends of the local bugbears by the password.

They do that because they are “generally Chaotic Evil”, of course.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Man this book goes all in on making the Formians a generic expansionistic hive mind, huh? They seem less like avatars of Law and more like might-makes-right Chaotic Evil, trying to reshape the universe in their image rather than respect the natural order.

Or maybe I just miss Modrons.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Man this book goes all in on making the Formians a generic expansionistic hive mind, huh? They seem less like avatars of Law and more like might-makes-right Chaotic Evil, trying to reshape the universe in their image rather than respect the natural order.

Or maybe I just miss Modrons.

Arcadia and Mechanus are the only places they're actually causing problems. Everywhere else they get mentioned in one line as outsiders also present (and getting their poo poo wrecked). This book assumes the Blood War will be a thing despite telling you right at the beginning of the Outer Planes section that you might not want to have the Blood War at all (and that sidebar is the only place you'll find a suggestion that there might be some kind of war between the LG archons and CG eladrins), but I gather the Formians are meant to be something of an alternative if you want some kind of interplanar war with their efforts to colonize everywhere and integrate all into the hive.

Almost every plane has also had a line (or half the drat section) about the Blood War hitting the plane that I've been mostly ignoring because I find the Blood War incredibly boring.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jul 26, 2020

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Cythereal posted:

Arcadia and Mechanus are the only places they're actually causing problems. Everywhere else they get their poo poo wrecked. This book assumes the Blood War will be a thing, but I gather the Formians are meant to be something of an alternative if you want some kind of interplanar war with their efforts to colonize everywhere and integrate all into the hive.

It's less that they're succeeding at expanding and more that they seem to be trying everywhere. While I appreciate alternatives to the Blood War, I feel like it should also feature misguided do-Gooders trying to clean up the lower planes and Chaotic types colonizing seemingly random areas, not just Generic Borg Ripoff #782 causing a mess all on their own. More turmoil = more adventure hooks.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

PurpleXVI posted:

I'm a great fan of "magic gone rogue"-scenarios where some magical creature or device obeys a literal command and just does what it's told, and because no one pays attention to it, it has unforeseen consequences, possibly even because it's doing something long after the people who set it up have died.
You would probably like Wildermyth, one of the enemy factions is a race of steampunk bone robots left over from a long-lost civilization, and the story campaign featuring them is literally about some of them carrying out the orders of someone long dead.

Also Wildermyth is great and more people should know about it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

U.T. Raptor posted:

You would probably like Wildermyth, one of the enemy factions is a race of steampunk bone robots left over from a long-lost civilization, and the story campaign featuring them is literally about some of them carrying out the orders of someone long dead.

Also Wildermyth is great and more people should know about it.

Which really just makes me think: "Why am I playing as these Keenspot Comic-looking motherfuckers when I should be playing as BONE BOTS instead?" :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Denizens of the Planes

Astral Dreadnoughts are big chonkers with a problem: they are CR 17, meaning they're meant to be an average fight for a group of four to six level 17 players, and this is the level range where 3/3.5E completely breaks down and :smugwizard: reigns. Astral Dreadnoughts try to compensate for this by projecting an antimagic cone that they can rotate in any direction once per turn then whacking you with a big silly pile of numbers, but no party at this level in the Astral Plane is going to have just one :smugwizard: and they have so many tools at this level that the dreadnought is probably not going to be a threat given how empty the Astral Plane is. Astral Dreadnoughts have no ecology, are not sentient, and do nothing in particular but be boss fights for adventurers.

Dao are rear end in a top hat earth genies with a bucket of magical abilities revolving around loving with the battlefield and crowd control. Don't fight one underground.

Dusk Beasts are two-headed lizards native to the Plane of Shadow that feed on other shadow-creatures. Unlike most creatures from the Plane of Shadow, dusk beasts are not afraid of light and are liable to attack people with light sources as such lights drive away their prey. Barring that, dusk beasts prefer to avoid humanoids. They're just intelligent enough to realize that humanoids are not suitable prey unless they're desperately hungry.

Ecalypses are telepathic extraplanar horses made of shadow-stuff with various spell-like abilities that you can break for riding.

Githyanki/Githzerai need no explanation.

Marids are obnoxious water genies with a huge range of magical abilities that will gently caress you up if you're dumb enough to fight one in the water.

Umbral Banyans are shadowy evil banyan trees that try to strangle you with their vines.

Xag-Yas are strange balls of light with tentacles from the Positive Energy Plane, believed by scholars to be 'energons' similar to elementals but comprised of positive energy rather than a traditional element. They're incorporeal, fly, and can project rays of positive energy. If xag-yas are intelligent or capable of speech, no one's yet discovered how to communicate with them. Mysterious.

Xeg-Yis are that but native to the Negative Energy Plane and comprised of negative energy.

Celestials

Bariaurs are centaurs, but sheep rather than horses and without all the rape monster stuff from Greek mythology. They're native to the Upper Planes and are mainly found in the arc of planes from Ysgard to Elysium in nomadic herds that typically follow a single leader who has won the right to lead through a contest of some sort - depending on the herd, this may be a brawling tournament, a riddle contest, an eating contest, or anything else. When Bariaurs have class levels, it's typically ranger or druid.

Firre Eladrins are a new type of Eladrin, the elf-like CG angels native to Arborea. They're souped-up bards who can set themselves on fire to set other people on fire, and exist to inspire artists and protect great works of art. Firres can be found throughout the Planes searching for art that inspires them or artists in need of a muse, and when not in fiery celestial form can look like normal elves with eyes of blazing fire. Firres with class levels are almost always bards.

Leonals are humanoid mini-Aslans, among the most powerful of the guardinal angels native to Elysium. Leonals pack a big pile of numbers to hit evil-doers with, and many have class levels (typically fighter or range, but other classes compatible with their NG alignment are not unheard of). Leonals serve as the heavyweight warriors of Elysium, or as officers commanding teams of lesser guardinals.

Fiends

Armanites are demon centaurs with a lance grafted in place of one hand and a flail in place of the other. They serve the Abyss as shock cavalry and are not very intelligent - it's rare to see an armanite capable of any tactic more sophisticated than frontal assaults.

Goristros are giant minotaur demons that throw rocks at people like cygors from Total Warhammer. They're also invisible. Aside from their continuous invisibility thing, they're just a big pile of numbers for PCs to beat down.

Narzugons are armanites but Lawful Evil rather than Chaotic Evil. They can cast Phantasmal Killer as a gaze attack.

Spinagons are spine devils from Baator and look like gargoyles covered in spines. They're typically used as messengers and spies by senior devils, and can shapeshift into humanoid form. Only CR4, but they're very dangerous for that level between their ability to fly and being able to fire two 2d8+1 damage attacks (1d4+1 piercing, 1d4 fire) at range with unlimited ammunition every turn.

Uridezu are rat demons from the Abyss. They're typically sent to other planes - especially the Material - with no particular goal beyond loving poo poo up. They invariably build lairs underground and attract armies of rats (normal, giant, and dire varieties) and generally do Skaven things until adventurers clean them out. CR 6, so good bosses for low-level adventurers. They're weaker in direct combat than their CR would suggest, but they have a bunch of spell-like abilities focused on evasion and debuffing PCs.

Next time, more monsters!

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010
Gary Gygax randomly created the original version of the Temple of Elemental Evil by using

The Deck of Encounters Set Two Part 18: The Deck of Centaurs, Centipedes, and Claws

91: Axeman
The PCs are in a forest. A man carrying an axe runs past them politely, says they never say him, and dives into the bushes. Shortly afterwards, eight centaurs ride by in fast pursuit, soon backtracking to interrogate the PCs about whether they saw the man, who was “caught putting axe to a sacred tree.” They’ll be pretty suspicious if the PCs claim not to have seen him. They’ll try to take all the human males in the party as prisoners if they don’t have better leads - guess they didn’t get a good look at the guy.

Pretty meh. Why was this guy trying to cut down a sacred tree in centaur territory? Why would the PCs cover for this dude, anyway? The hooks just aren’t interesting. I’ll pass.

92: The Mare
So… the PCs are camping in a forest when a “young, female centaur” shows up, beckons them with a finger, and leads them on a little chase through the forest, staying ahead of them but just within sight. Acting, in short, coquettish.

Then when the party gets tired she lets them catch up and will follow them around but only “giggles coyly” in response to questions.

Then six angry male centaurs find them, seeking the female, who is their leader’s daughter. “At first, the centaurs refuse to believe that nothing other than harmless games has been played, but If the party speaks convincingly, and if they entertained the female enough to have her speak in their favor, the centaurs will let the party continue on their way.” So much centaur sexual politics. So much more than I wanted.

It feels like Piers Anthony wrote this encounter card. I will pass.

93: Cannibals
In dungeon tunnels, the PCs run into twenty giant centipedes just tearing into each other in frenzied cannibalistic feeding. Because they’re starving, and I guess it just now reached a head? They’ll certainly turn on new prey when the PCs arrive, but if anyone dies, they’ll then fight over who gets to feed on that corpse first. Their hunger also means they won’t flee, period. There’s a little treasure around - coinage and one third of a potion of extra-healing.

Feels a little forced, but the visuals are evocative. Keep.

94: One Hundred Legs
Farmers approach the PCs because a herd of centipedes is sweeping through the countryside eating livestock. Their pattern is easy to ascertain, though unspecified by the card (maybe the closest farm to a central lair?). They rush the livestock when they strike. The farmers will reward them in 50gp and a couple of gold candlesticks if they act especially quickly and prevent further damage. Keep.

95: The Guardian Loosed
The PCs are in a tavern and approached by a very embarrassed wizard. He was “attempting to program” a crawling claw he created, but it got loose and hid, and he is understandably afraid it’s going to leap out at him and strangle him to death, because, you know, crawling claw. He’s offering 1,000 gp or 10 levels worth of spell scrolls, which sounds like a good deal to me.

The problem is that the gameplay once you get to the wizard’s tower isn’t there. There’s no map or anything. The card just says “It takes some searching to find the claw,” but in the end it’s just crawling under the wizard’s bed. Could be amusing, but how do you make the problem-solving engaging? I don’t know. Jury?

96: The Patient Killers
The PCs are passing through marshlands and need to cross a stream with no bridge. While they’re wading through, 11 crocodiles swarm them. And thaaaaaat’s pretty much the encounter.

Everyone who’s not “extremely perceptive” is supposed to be caught blind-sided, which presumably means a surprise round for the crocodiles. And it’s a low-level encounter, meaning PC levels 1-4. Eleven crocodiles with a surprise round, with enough freedom of movement that the card notes there may be multiple crocs attacking each victim? The squisher party members are goners. The low-AC, high HP types might have a chance to escape, but not to win.

I don’t foresee any fun here. Pass.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Pass. It’s a trivially easy monster that at best gets a scare before someone swats it.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Falconier111 posted:

They do that because they are “generally Chaotic Evil”, of course.

It's been a really long time ago, but I recall something from the 2nd ed. AD&D Player's Handbook discussing alignment and Detect Evil in the context of a Paladin. They give an example of a Chaotic Evil wizard coming to an inn on a rainy night with a Paladin there. If the Paladin attempt to Detect Evil, he's not going to find any because at that point the wizard isn't planning to attempting to do evil - he just wants to get the gently caress out of the rain and to somewhere warm and dry to maybe get something to eat and find somewhere comfy to sleep.

Now, if the Paladin gets involved with the guy (they journey together or something), then the wizard will eventually reveal his Chaotic Evil nature, but it's not like he's Chaotic and Evil every single second of the day so much as that's his general nature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Falconier111 posted:

Pass. It’s a trivially easy monster that at best gets a scare before someone swats it.

:same: Pass