Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I mean I sure hope so because it seems like a pretty big regression from her solo series where she's moving past a lot of this poo poo? So to see her get dragged back down into those weeds sucks. Having Hickman constantly referring to her as a pretender and delegitimatize her sucks. Having Dr. Strange just straight talk down to her sucks. And then having her screw up again and then just like ditch the situation??? Also sucks.

Like maybe it's just me but constantly going back to this well to go "lol this woman had an emotional breakdown 20 years ago and now she can't do anything right" feels skeevy as gently caress. Them conveniently ignoring her working to restore poo poo in AvX is also like. Why?

I'd really just wait. I don't think Hickman is trying to deligitimatize her or anything, and I didn't take it as Dr. Strange talking down to her.

But really, Hickman's MO isn't to ruin characters or anything. And we've already seen hints that Krakoa isn't all that it seems. So I'm pretty sure that sometime down the road, Wanda is going to save all of mutantkind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Remember when Black Panther and Namor's rivalry and beef got solved off screen and didn't lead anywhere?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Codependent Poster posted:

I'd really just wait. I don't think Hickman is trying to deligitimatize her or anything, and I didn't take it as Dr. Strange talking down to her.

But really, Hickman's MO isn't to ruin characters or anything. And we've already seen hints that Krakoa isn't all that it seems. So I'm pretty sure that sometime down the road, Wanda is going to save all of mutantkind.

Like I said, I really hope that I'm wrong so I'm glad that you're optimistic over it. Even in the best case scenario though, I still think it's lousy to just regress and retread this same lovely ground in service of subverting expectations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Like I said, I really hope that I'm wrong so I'm glad that you're optimistic over it. Even in the best case scenario though, I still think it's lousy to just regress and retread this same lovely ground in service of subverting expectations.

It's probably more that Hickman didn't know/read what all Wanda had been in and editorial didn't tell him, or thought it didn't matter enough to make him change his plans. Like her being in the Avengers Empyre tie-in doesn't make any sense, but that's up to the editors and not the writers.

I might be wrong in the end and I definitely know what it's like to feel like one of your favorite characters is being treated like poo poo. But to me it just seems like the table is being set for Wanda to be a big deal to the X-Men comics and it'll be in a positive way. Just will probably be a while.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Android Blues posted:

A lot of the retro Wanda/Vision stuff in old Avengers is very sweet and is one of the most interesting things happening in those comics. That's where my love for the character comes from.

Agreed. I also thought at some point after all that got messed up (in West Coast avengers I think), when Vision was yellow and emotionless and she grew to accept that what happened to her sucked but life was going on and she was going to be okay and I thought it was pretty actualized. She was fine honestly until Bendis decided the 90s didn't happen.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Saoshyant posted:

Haha I completely forgot about this! And so did the X-Men's editors apparently!

It's a shame about that, now that Conan is a part of 616 I was hoping we'd get a little more of her crazy history with him. Though with the Eternals movie coming I'd imagine any spotlight she'd get would make her an Eternal and the actual Selene.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I’m going to withhold judgement on the Wanda stuff, because the rest of the book was a lot of fun. Anytime I can actually care about Warren is a big plus for me.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah it was refreshing to get some Warren characterization that isn't just "is fighting off his violent Archangel side" and get into what he's good at. And it was nice to see Xavier give him some love.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Color me intrigued

https://twitter.com/XavierFiles/status/1286725271316463617?s=20

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

After being burned on Fallen Angels, I'm not entirely sure I want to risk checking out Hellions, but maybe some of you did? With two issues out, how is it?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Saoshyant posted:

After being burned on Fallen Angels, I'm not entirely sure I want to risk checking out Hellions, but maybe some of you did? With two issues out, how is it?

I like it well enough. I'm not super familiar with any of the characters in it except Havok so I can't point to anyone being written woefully out of character like Laura was in Fallen Angels. Havok seems fine, don't know much about Kwannon Psylocke (I think Fallen Angels is the first thing I've read with her in it) and she seems slightly more interesting here. The rest are all former villains, I think Empath is being written more evil than what I remember from New Mutants, but he's also older and never had a real redemption arc that I can remember, so that would make sense.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Saoshyant posted:

I'm really enjoying it, I laughed out loud at the second issue.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Saoshyant posted:

It's not as bad as Fallen Angels, but let me put it this way; with literally every single character from all of X-men history on the table, how excited are you to read the new adventures of Nanny and Orphan-maker?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

It's not as bad as Fallen Angels, but let me put it this way; with literally every single character from all of X-men history on the table, how excited are you to read the new adventures of Nanny and Orphan-maker?

Burying the lede with Scalphunter, I see.

Although seriously like OKS says it's better than Fallen Angels but honestly it doesn't do a lot for me. I was more excited when we thought Wild Child was Feral but alas.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I love Nanny and Orphan-maker, I remember being super freaked out by them in the late Claremont era when I was a tiny little kid. They just seemed so offputting and creepy in a way that really stuck with me. Also Nanny's design is incredibly weird and simultaneously creepy and sort of cute-- like is she naturally the shape of an egg? Did she choose to be three feet tall when she designed her cyborg elements? It's just immediately recognizable and compelling to me. So honestly, they're the only things keeping me reading Hellions aside from a residual interest in the Marauders and long-simmering Sinister stuff.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 25, 2020

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Scalphunter is the best character in it so far. It's better than what I was expecting, but the jury is still out.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
See, I have a weird feeling about Hellions, and I think it's partially based on this thread. I knew before that Madelyne Pryor has gotten shafted for several decades now, since I along with everybody else (or everyone else should) read the Claremont X-Men, but the additional information provided by this thread really shed more light on the situation, and I just...I can't really feel great about anything with Maddie in it anymore I guess? Like, it might turn out to be a really great read, but on my part, I just can't get past how writers have screwed this character over and will continue to do so and it leaves me a bit ambivalent about the whole thing, even though I know Hellion's main focus probably won't be fighting Maddie.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Skwirl posted:

Havok seems fine, don't know much about Kwannon Psylocke (I think Fallen Angels is the first thing I've read with her in it) and she seems slightly more interesting here.

Probably, she was in like 6 issues of Nicieza's X-Men before getting offed by the Legacy Virus and then forgotten about for over 25 years. Revanche was a cooler name than Psylocke too.

bad_trotsky
May 23, 2012

Rochallor posted:

Beast being the absolute worst was a character beat for a long time, to the point where he even betrayed the X-Men during IxV (IIRC, because like hell I'm going to flip back through IxV). Then all that stuff got soft reset at some point. I feel like there was a missed opportunity to bring Beast around to being an outright villain.

My Beast was haha guy who hung out with Wonder Man on the Avengers. I am sad about this turn of events.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I'm enjoying them enough so far but that's largely because I'm hearing Alphonse from FMA's voice when I read Orphan-Maker's dialogue.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

https://twitter.com/nerdist/status/1286695479758159874

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Oh man really digging that children of the atom print. And why not get the mat for my record player.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
nanny was originally a normal looking mutant scientist who worked for cameron hodge. poo poo went horribly wrong, and they shoved her into the egg armor where she has been stuck ever since. it's not a very surprising outcome, considering that she was a mutant working for hodge's first anti-mutant terrorist organization. i guess she doesn't mind any more, what with being a serial killer who loves to abduct and weaponize children.

anyway, hellions is kind of fun because it isn't a bunch of lovable misfits who pull together when the going gets tough. they are all profoundly broken people and not particularly capable as a team.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I thought Nanny was just a normal, human engineer and Orphan-Maker was a mutant?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

rantmo posted:

I thought Nanny was just a normal, human engineer and Orphan-Maker was a mutant?

she lives on krakoa, doesn't she?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

rantmo posted:

She has low level psychic/mind control powers which she manifests through pixie dust which she throws around at people. It appears that outside of being a huge armor guy with guns, Orphan-Maker's powers have never been shown or explained?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I didn't realize there was so much unknown about Orphan-Maker. Would be interesting to learn more.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

How Wonderful! posted:

She has low level psychic/mind control powers which she manifests through pixie dust which she throws around at people. It appears that outside of being a huge armor guy with guns, Orphan-Maker's powers have never been shown or explained?

Yeah. Everything he's been shown to do so far could just be Orphan-Maker's armor.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

she lives on krakoa, doesn't she?

I'd assumed that she was on Krakoa because Orphan-maker refused to come without her.

How Wonderful! posted:

I have no recollection of her using anything like that but it's been years since I've read those old issues. She always freaked me out when I was a kid. I think that literally all we know about Orphan-maker is that his name is Peter, his a child of some indeterminate age (or at least has been brain-washed to act like it) and is a mutant but we've never seen anything about what is mutation is.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

hellions will be good if every story involves empath getting murdered by one of his teammates

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Parallax posted:

hellions will be good if every story involves empath getting murdered by one of his teammates
:hmmyes:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Please don't take away Quentin's gimmick, instead, how about just perma killing Empath

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Gologle posted:

Please don't take away Quentin's gimmick, instead, how about just perma killing Empath

They die at the same time but everyone agrees to resurrect just one of them...

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Gologle posted:

Hey, Quentin's gimmick isn't getting murdered by his teammates, it's getting murdered by the environment

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Alaois posted:

Hey, Quentin's gimmick isn't getting murdered by his teammates, it's getting murdered by the environment

Didn't Wolverine merc him in Wolverine?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Cloks posted:

Didn't Wolverine merc him in Wolverine?

that doesn't count Wolverine killed everyone in that

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Catching up on things, and Sinister securing "A La Carte Du Jour!" cable tv for Krakoa in Incoming was amazing.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
https://bleedingcool.com/comics/washington-redskins-change-name-marvel-changes-scalphunter-to-greycrow/

huh.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Not a terrible idea, that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radlum
May 13, 2013
It's not a bad idea and John Greycrow still sounds like a good name for the character (and a name change kind of fits with the more complex role he has had in the past few years).