Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Cat Face Joe posted:

plz shut the gently caress up about anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
yeah shut the gently caress up about anime so we can go back to discussing the important things, like can you convince people to play games other than D&D (no you cannot)

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

yeah dude, love to come to this thread to see a completely straight faced discussion on what a reverse harem anime is called depending on whether the woman is smart or not

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

TG as an Industry: No, Otome isn't Reverse Harem, You Imbecile, You Utter Moron

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Cat Face Joe posted:

yeah dude, love to come to this thread to see a completely straight faced discussion on what a reverse harem anime is called depending on whether the woman is smart or not

who cares

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Cat Face Joe posted:

plz shut the gently caress up about anime
Counterpoint: don't do this

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Froghammer posted:

Counterpoint: don't do this

Counter-counterpoint:

Kai Tave posted:

who cares

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Kai Tave posted:

who cares

well, seemingly you before you dropped the above it all defense

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Cat Face Joe posted:

well, seemingly you before you dropped the above it all defense

I'm not the one getting the vapors every time someone mentions the dreaded word "anime" in the very important Elfgame Industry thread

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

With my super important degree I can tell you that "keiku" means "ur mom" and that this is getting silly.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Xiahou Dun posted:

With my super important degree I can tell you that "keiku" means "ur mom" and that this is getting silly.

All according to keikaku.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Traditional Games › TG As An Industry: Ah! My Gamers

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Arthil posted:

My limited understanding of anime genres suggests there must, as well, be a genre about a dull and painfully normal girl surrounded by extremely handsome boys that somehow are all interested in her.

Fruits Basket. The boys turn into fluffy animals too.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Anime in its current form wouldn't exist were it not for D&D so

https://twitter.com/screaminbutcalm/status/1105577845642878976?s=19

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

admanb posted:

All according to keikaku.

Would have been so much better if I didn’t fat-finger the spelling.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
tabletop gaming is anime you create with your friends tbh

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Farg posted:

tabletop gaming is anime you create with your friends tbh

Speaking of I need to find a game of Lancer

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Too bad something awful doesn't have an anime subforum I can ignore.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

moths posted:

Too bad something awful doesn't have an anime subforum I can ignore.

Where was this attitude when the thread spent two pages contributing to D&D culture by talking about western cartoons?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

We could get back to the real meat of the thread, making terrible analogies. 4E is like IHOP but 5E is like Denny's and in the next several paragraphs you will find

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Dawgstar posted:

We could get back to the real meat of the thread, making terrible analogies. 4E is like IHOP but 5E is like Denny's and in the next several paragraphs you will find

I agree 4e is superior

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

S.J. posted:

I agree 4e is superior

Didn't even let me get to the class comparison analysis using the Rooty Tooty Fresh 'N Fruity versus the Moons Over My Hammy. The nerve.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Dawgstar posted:

What's Waffle House?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Lemniscate Blue posted:

What's Waffle House?

Call of Cthulu

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Did you know that Dennis/Denny is a diminutive of Dionysus, meaning that eating at a Dennys' and having a fun meal with friends is a valid way of honoring the God of Wine and Revelry.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Kibner posted:

Call of Cthulu

Wrong. 4e D&D is definitely Waffle House. It knows exactly what it is and does it perfectly every time.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

NinjaDebugger posted:

Wrong. 4e D&D is definitely Waffle House. It knows exactly what it is and does it perfectly every time.

D&D has no clue what it wants to be, yet still manages to gently caress it up every time. But it's still alive and people love it.

D&D is the CBS network of games.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Hostile V posted:

Did you know that Dennis/Denny is a diminutive of Dionysus, meaning that eating at a Dennys' and having a fun meal with friends is a valid way of honoring the God of Wine and Revelry.

It’s a plot by antitheists then, because imagine having fun at a Dennys.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Apparently Fandom, the company that owns all of those franchise-specific Wikias out there, has acquired the Cortex engine somehow. The first game that they’re going to make in the engine is based on The Dragon Prince, i.e. the show made with such a hugely abusive work place that it led to large scale resignations and that continues to be helmed by Aaron Ehasz, the man responsible for that abuse and harassment.

So you know, business as usual for this industry.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Meinberg posted:

Apparently Fandom, the company that owns all of those franchise-specific Wikias out there, has acquired the Cortex engine somehow.

As a side note, this happened at least a year ago, apparently because they wanted to move into actual publishing and Cam Banks needed money and help to actually finish Cortex Prime.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Lemon-Lime posted:

As a side note, this happened at least a year ago, apparently because they wanted to move into actual publishing and Cam Banks needed money and help to actually finish Cortex Prime.

More specifically, it happened last September when Fandom bought the system outright from Margaret Weis Productions when Cam Banks was previously just licensing it from MWP. Honestly, as a business decision it makes a lot of sense assuming Fandom's willing to support this for the long term. Cortex has always been associated with licensed games, and Fandom has a lot of resources to invest in Cortex Prime.

There is a conversation about whether Dragon Prince should be "rewarded" with a licensed RPG after the toxic work culture came to light, but that isn't necessarily a TG industry problem.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Dragon Prince just had a zoom stream where they announced they got picked up for like 4 more seasons, so it's a slam dunk of profitability to tie your horse to that cart and the public at large clearly doesn't give 2 shits what's happening behind the scenes.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Toshimo posted:

Dragon Prince just had a zoom stream where they announced they got picked up for like 4 more seasons, so it's a slam dunk of profitability to tie your horse to that cart and the public at large clearly doesn't give 2 shits what's happening behind the scenes.

Or don't know. This is legit the first I heard about this.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Wow! Four more entire teams of people he can abuse and harass out of the industry!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Josef bugman posted:

Or don't know. This is legit the first I heard about this.

yeah I knew about the Dragon Prince stuff only because I specifically follow someone who was at the center of it because I knew of her from her time at a Video game website who had podcasts I listened to and followed their work.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

This is also news to me. Up until now "The Dragon Prince" was just "that Netflix thing that wants to be another Avatar but is CG animated and not very good."

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
To me it was "show who had a character some of my friends were thirst posting about". Specifically there is a elf/demon thing that has a very deep voice?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Josef bugman posted:

To me it was "show who had a character some of my friends were thirst posting about". Specifically there is a elf/demon thing that has a very deep voice?

I don't think he's a demon, but the other stuff is true. Especially the thirst bit.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Omnicrom posted:

This is also news to me. Up until now "The Dragon Prince" was just "that Netflix thing that wants to be another Avatar but is CG animated and not very good."

It's not as good as Avatar (what is?) but it's not dreadful. It's entertaining enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I do not blame individuals to know all about the allegations against Aaron Ehasz, there is way too much poo poo out there for everyone to keep track of every poo poo head out there. What I do expect is for a company like Fandom to do a simple google search before making an agreement of this sort. I suspect that they are acting in full knowledge of the allegations against Ehasz and just don't care because they've run the numbers and see that any protests or boycotts will impact them far less than the money they'll make. This is late stage capitalism in effect, being willing to throw those workers abused by Ehasz under the bus in exchange for maximizing profits. It sucks!