Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Getting 1/2 gold suuuuuucks

This "at your service" challenge really emphasizes how much it sucks not to draft the OP stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Almost at C25!

For the past couple weeks, I've been playing entirely with random faction combinations. I like the game more this way; it's forcing me to look for different combinations. Certainly I'm stronger with some combinations than others, but it gets dull to stay in my comfort zone all the time.

If the game is feeling stale, try setting factions to random and see if you can make it work at whatever covenant you're on.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

dyzzy posted:

Getting 1/2 gold suuuuuucks

This "at your service" challenge really emphasizes how much it sucks not to draft the OP stuff

Got it after a couple of runs with stygian. Stack enough incant units on a floor with a ton of free spells and it's hard to lose even with really scarce upgrades

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

People have mentioned how the buffs made the sirens good, but I don't think I've heard anyone mention Alpha Fiend yet, which I've had a number of cov25 wins with. Like most DPS units it absolutely needs multistrike to function (even more so than most of them), but 2 multistriking fiends behind a half-decent tank (not hard to achieve on a floor as hellhorned) will easily beat seraph, and they're solid DPS units before that as well (after 2 rounds a multistriking Alpha Fiend is a Horned Warrior without the 3 HP weakness, and during bossfights they're doing fed overgorger/endless assassin numbers).

The interesting thing is that whereas most units scale linearly with multistrike, Alpha Fiends scale polynomially. Damage growth per turn is 5 * hits^2, so one hit is +5, two is +20, three is +45, four is +80, and five is +125. I don't think fishing for more than two hits is practical, but it does happen with things like Grrrg's goad (admittedly already the most powerful artifact in the game) and Pyrestone Housing.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

The newly buffed alpha fiend is definitely strong, but the strike effect is still additive at +5 instead of +3. It can scale fast enough to be a useful boss killer with something moderately beefy in front of it but it's still a big 2 energy 3 capacity unit that doesn't have a lot of impact for a few turns.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I'm having trouble getting any victories as melting legion. Anyone have any tips? Stuck on challenge level 3

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Jarvisi posted:

I'm having trouble getting any victories as melting legion. Anyone have any tips? Stuck on challenge level 3

The ladies are amazing. They don't seem like much at first, but if you stick the lady who adds burnout stacks on revenge in front of a burnout rector flicker or the other lady, then you'll basically negate the downside to burnout and have a couple of very beefy units for their cost.

Wickless tycoon and the thug that gives money on kill are also amazing - you can get tons of extra cash to get more upgrades/artifacts/etc.

You also have a lot of neat tricks that you can pull - you are the only faction that can remove debuffs on your own units and buffs on enemy units. This synergizes well with Umbra's emberdrain cards. You can also revive units, which can be fantastic for some specific setups where you pull units back over and over. You also are the only faction with stealth, which has some interesting possibilities for protecting a bottom floor.

The biggest issue you'll run into is bosses. There's not a whole lot of great scaling in the faction, and while burnout units are fantastic for fighting waves of units, they're not so great when it comes to the bosses. Generally I rely either on Rector Flicker to kill the boss for me (you can put him on the bottom floor and then revive him every time the boss kills him; holdover molded is amazing for the faction), or on my secondary faction to provide a unit that scales up. I like Umbra because you can stick a gorge unit on the top floor and feed morsels up there while your waxen units take care of all of the lower floor stuff for you.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
You can basically just target units from your secondary faction and build off those, and do pretty well

I'm not a huge fan of melting as primary. They're my least mastered faction

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Einwand posted:

The newly buffed alpha fiend is definitely strong, but the strike effect is still additive at +5 instead of +3. It can scale fast enough to be a useful boss killer with something moderately beefy in front of it but it's still a big 2 energy 3 capacity unit that doesn't have a lot of impact for a few turns.

The buff isn't what makes the scaling non-linear, but it's a massive increase given how much of Alpha Fiend's damage comes from the scaling. For reference:

code:
Damage increase per turn
| Multistrike | Pre-buff | Post-buff |
|           0 |        3 |         5 |
|           1 |       12 |        20 |
|           2 |       27 |        45 |
|           3 |       48 |        80 |
|           4 |       75 |       125 |
For the first two rounds or so it's just OK (a multistrike 1 fiend with no other upgrades deals 25 damage the first wave and 45 the second), but the first waves are weaker and the player has 3 turns of leeway to handle them and there's little penalty to spend the second upgrade slot on +attack or +rage. There are a lot of cards and combos that can scale faster and hit bigger numbers (rage mermaid with incant and rage artifacts), but Alpha Fiend is somewhat special in terms of how it resolves almost all scaling issues with one card (or two copies of one card), similar to how self-sufficient a quicksweeper or an AOE spell with holdover is for solving small enemies.

Microcline fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jul 26, 2020

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Did you know that getting Sketches of Salvation (summon 4 units from your deck for free on the middle floor at the start of combat) as your first artifact, Shadowsiege in your first unit draft, and Multistrike in the first unit upgrade shop make the game super easy? Weird how that works.

Edit: Holdover Inferno, and holdover Perils of Production (to completely ignore Ember so that all you need is card draw) makes it even funnier. I'll post the challenge link after this run in case anyone wants to play this setup.

Here's a link to the challenge with my run summary:
monstertrain://challenge/FreshOliverRescue

I killed Seraph before the relentless phase. In any event, was a nice welcome finish to covenant 24, and now I've finally unlocked covenant 25!

Dirk the Average fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 26, 2020

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
What's so great about summoning four random units to the middle? It seems like it would gently caress up the order and get your units killed

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Jarvisi posted:

What's so great about summoning four random units to the middle? It seems like it would gently caress up the order and get your units killed

e:

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH her combat phase hasn't started yet!!!!

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 26, 2020

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Jarvisi posted:

Well, uh, the only 4 units in my deck were multistrike shadowsiege, which is a 200x2 attack, 150 health unit. The order doesn't actually matter.

If the order does matter, then you get vine grasp (awoken) or march of shields (hellhorned) to fix it for you.

You do absolutely have to plan around that artifact though, it doesn't automatically win the run, but it's one of the few ways to actually deploy something like shadowsiege or consumer of crowns without paying the energy cost.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I just picked this up last night. This game is fun as hell! I only wish there were a few more rounds to play in somehow. I just unlocked the melting guys and won with them. So I've won with all of the groups now as main clan. But now my covenant rank is going up and gonna make it harder on me. My strongest run was the Umbra run I got these X stones and just kept feeding the guys to my penumbral like 100 times per round and he destroyed everything.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Shine posted:

Almost at C25!

For the past couple weeks, I've been playing entirely with random faction combinations. I like the game more this way; it's forcing me to look for different combinations. Certainly I'm stronger with some combinations than others, but it gets dull to stay in my comfort zone all the time.

If the game is feeling stale, try setting factions to random and see if you can make it work at whatever covenant you're on.

yeah, I just randomed for the first time and actually won with it, although it felt closer to the wire than I'd like, pretty sure it wouldn't work on higher difficulties. really buff robot was fun after I started with 2 jars of morsels and then picked up Retch. I got the event card that lets you trigger eating on a morsel unit 2X times and was able to play it with 5 ember for an instant +40 attack or something.

really fun card that helped make it work: The card that kills a random friend and random enemy with holdover and 0 cost, so I just didn't build anything on the bottom floor and erased a random motherfucker for free every single turn.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 26, 2020

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

A correction to my previous post about Alpha Fiend: it's actually really cool to wait for a second multistrike instead of filling the slot with something like +damage or +rage, as you'll probably be visiting merchants of steel anyway and unlike other DPS units Alpha Fiend doesn't have a huge need for non-multistrike minor enhancements. Sometimes you may even create the ULTIMATE LIFE FORM

The only downside is that there's an upper limit on how absurd the numbers can get due to the fact that you quickly run out of things to punch when you're punching five times for 100+ damage each

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Was hoping I’d find a Grrg’s Goad somewhere to really live the dream, but can’t complain too much I guess.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Out of interest; At the start of the game, do you guys pick the champion first or the relic first, or does it depend on the faction? I generally go for the relic first, but theres been a few times where, for example, the relic boosts spikes, but when I pick my champion the spiky variant isnt offered.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

SiKboy posted:

Out of interest; At the start of the game, do you guys pick the champion first or the relic first, or does it depend on the faction? I generally go for the relic first, but theres been a few times where, for example, the relic boosts spikes, but when I pick my champion the spiky variant isnt offered.

First is always look at Seraph.

Second is look at which races I’m playing as (I usually play random/random cov25)

Third is artifact, because one is almost always a slam pick that can accentuate my hero, if I pick him

Final is hero. But I’ll admit that there have been a few times I picked an artifact that Benefits a build I didn’t get a hero for (+sting, but no card draw awoken, +rage, but no brawler hellhorned)

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

SiKboy posted:

You have a 2/3 chance to get any given champion so go relic first imo

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I had to spam some restarts last night to confirm that the primary clan banner can even spawn on the same side as the monster shop after the first fight, but I still swear it's weighted not to. I can deal with suboptimal outcomes in this game, but a first primary clan banner being on the magic shop side is just dickish.

So now my start script is Seraph, next ring, relic, champ, because let's say I'm Hellhorned but my secondary clan is on the monster shop, I'm really gonna reconsider a bunch of stuff ... and probably still take Wrathful.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Somehow, this game has the most video gamey video game music I've heard in a game to date.

Everything is a five second loop that's popping, bristling, and fizzing with energy; the rewards screen music is actually good?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It's so good!!! I like Fel's music the best but it's all great.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

The Professor music really hits and makes the first fight feel epic. Especially your first time playing and suddenly a bomb explodes twice and your hero dies.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

I don't get how to play Hellhorned summons reliably. You need multi-attack + rage to deal real damage, but only their hero has multi-attack, and sometimes even he doesn't get that option. I've had plenty of games where I'm mostly using the other faction to do most of the work, and have to skip every lame Hellhorned summon on offer.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Snow Job posted:

I don't get how to play Hellhorned summons reliably. You need multi-attack + rage to deal real damage, but only their hero has multi-attack, and sometimes even he doesn't get that option. I've had plenty of games where I'm mostly using the other faction to do most of the work, and have to skip every lame Hellhorned summon on offer.

If nothing else they have a lot of fatties that can tank while your other units set up or sit protected behind them. Plus they just explode wildly out of control if you get the artifact that gives all demons Multi-attack.

You can also choose to go all in on insanely dumb imp plays with endless Trancendimp :v:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Zore posted:

If nothing else they have a lot of fatties that can tank while your other units set up or sit protected behind them. Plus they just explode wildly out of control if you get the artifact that gives all demons Multi-attack.

You can also choose to go all in on insanely dumb imp plays with endless Trancendimp :v:

Armor is also fairly important if you want them to soak any damage (and they will be soaking damage). Hellhorned has a decent number of pretty good armor spells that will keep a unit on its feet.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
even just a 30 damage attacker is okay when you ascend him and 5 of his friends onto a single floor with a tank in front

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, Secret Passage and Tiresome Climb are lowkey the most busted cards Hellhorned has access to and if you get them you can almost ignore upgrading units at all since you can stack enormous seven unit death floors.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Zore posted:

Yeah, Secret Passage and Tiresome Climb are lowkey the most busted cards Hellhorned has access to and if you get them you can almost ignore upgrading units at all since you can stack enormous seven unit death floors.

March of shields synergizes well with that too, as you can ascend a tanky unit and then move it to the front + give armor. Holdover march of shields is amazing, and secret passage with either holdover or permafrost is similarly quite strong.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Zore posted:

Hidden Passage tip: Use it has hard removal by skipping an enemy from your developed floor to the floor above/throne. Or, use it to add extra guys to your developed floor on advantageous turns to make the next turn easier.

Using it on the sweep guy with emberdrain in games where you can't afford to have emberdrain is game winning. He will do next to no damage to the spire and the spire can't be emberdrained.

-1 cost, holdover on hidden passage is amazing. Even if you aren't doing a clown car strategy.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 2, 2020

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Snow Job posted:

only their hero has multi-attack, and sometimes even he doesn't get that option

I 100% take Wrathful as the first pick if offered every time. It's way too good early, and still scales late. It's almost comical that 3x Reaper will still die to sweepers and gating damage behind kills is catch-22. I'll take Brawler as a second and third upgrade, but 3x Wrathful is totally doable, especially if the other option is lolReaper. It might not be obvious, but the two options at the start are the same two options you get for the whole game, so lean into it.

Mid to late game, put him behind something beefy, but play with the expectation that it will die, putting all the armor and buffs on your Prince. Once his meatwall goes down he should have 100+ armor and solo everything.

And a neat trick: Hit him with your torches. He gains more damage from rage than the torch would do, which easily tips early battles. He goes absolutely nuts with enemy spikes challenge turned on too. Poke him with torches and every single Dark Deal you can get and (carefully) with Branding Rite in a pinch.

Too bad Deranged Brute was basically deleted from the game. I have seen it once since the patch. Putting a Deranged Brute behind him will breeze through the whole game as long as you stay away from him getting iced on turn one.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Yeah, wrathful is a slam pick right off the bat. Hellhound has bad tanks so if you're picking them you need to get lucky with the secondary clan if you don't go anger mode.

Awoken champ is odd because some of their best units need tons of heal support too, and while they take longer to get online they're better than the champ against bosses. I think the damage on heal one is the best because the clan has enough sweep/thorn damage but not enough tank busting.

Stygian is all frostbite all the time because it's so good against tanks/bosses and the clan has sweep for days with frost shark and whip ladies.

Melting is always burnout, he's just so beefy and there's tons of ways to work around the deficiency. Harvest is kinda meh now that it doesn't count morsels .

Umbra I have no idea, except lol monstrous because ain't nobody got space for that. He's probably the champ I get the least use from further in the run, so I usually take architect to stack a lane more.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Ranzear posted:

It might not be obvious, but the two options at the start are the same two options you get for the whole game, so lean into it.

I don't believe this is actually correct. You always get the ability to continue along the track you originally choose, but I've definitely had the option of the third champion choice I wasn't originally presented.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Smiling Demon posted:

I don't believe this is actually correct. You always get the ability to continue along the track you originally choose, but I've definitely had the option of the third champion choice I wasn't originally presented.

Yeah, I actually assumed it was the opposite of this: You get two options, the one you dont pick is then replaced in your upgrades with the option you werent presented with. I'm not sure its always that rather than "the initial choice of two is random, then subsequent choices are that one and a random one of the other two", but I've definitely had it happen because I remember looking at options and deciding "Sweep now, frostbite at the first upgrade point" and being mildly disappointed at not having that option.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Hmm, can't believe I never thought to put rage upgrades on a unit with slay triggers before. Makes the Shattered Shell actually kinda rad.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Man, in terms of raw performance I've probably done worse with Umbra than any of the other clans, but it feels so good to set up a floor with a gorging penumbra in front of the guy who poops morsels and the guy who doubles morsel spawns.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Fragile only kills if it damages health, not armor. I don't know why I thought otherwise!

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

SiKboy posted:

Yeah, I actually assumed it was the opposite of this: You get two options, the one you dont pick is then replaced in your upgrades with the option you werent presented with. I'm not sure its always that rather than "the initial choice of two is random, then subsequent choices are that one and a random one of the other two", but I've definitely had it happen because I remember looking at options and deciding "Sweep now, frostbite at the first upgrade point" and being mildly disappointed at not having that option.

It's neither. Just paid attention in a run and got Wrathful-Reaper, Wrathful-Reaper, Wrathful-Brawler.

Now, if the third choice is always the one that wasn't offered before, that'd make more sense and would be what gave me the idea that they don't change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I play mostly hellhorned+umbra and it is the most consistent combination in the game I've found. I usually win 4-6 games before taking a loss at cov25, and a lot of the time the losses are because I decided doing something would be fun rather than correct. That's without resetting for starting cards. If you reset away really bad starting cards (1-3 resets) the win rate goes up way higher.

I usually aim for brawler 1 + reaper 2, with preferred order reaper 1 -> brawler -> reaper2 . The main problem is if you miss brawler at the second upgrade you better have something going for you or you're going to be in for a hard run.

I try to just draft 2 banner units: morselmaker & crucible warden. Fallback drafts of morselmaster & crucible collector or just random good stuff. Sometimes you miss and need to adapt, and other times you get game changer artifacts like morsels have divine shield 1. It's somewhat flexible with the only awkward part being summon order to get the maker+hellhorned+crucible on the same floor. You can sort of make that work in your favor by having 2-3 crucible guys and 1x morsel guy or it's possible to run no morselmaker/master at all, but if you are offered one and already have a crucible then you should probably take it because it's extremely ember efficient and its power level spikes hard with certain artifacts. Hidden Passage, the dazed card, and cave in also work great for getting everyone on the same floor.

The best card in the game with this strategy is the rare pay x to double trigger devour card. It's worth duplicating over pretty much anything with no spell upgrades except for the x divine shield x card with doublestack which is equally as strong and a common. Spike of the hellhorned or whatever it's called for x armor/x rage is also okay, and a lot of the time you want to force draft at least 1 defensive spell so your champion doesn't die to sweep. The best defensive spell being the divine shield one, but you can't always get it despite it being a common.

Besides that strategy, the real power is the flexibility and baseline strength of the hellhorned champ. As long as you can frontline for him he will single handedly carry. Especially if you hit furnace tap or the trample card. Sometimes you clown car with random good stuff hellhorned/umbra units, sometimes you have the divine shield morsel artifact and morselmakers/morselmasters are busted, sometimes you have holdover inferno, sometimes you can go shadowsiege, sometimes you get early multistrke on crucible guys and duplicate them and fill a few floors with them, sometimes you end up with 30 mana per turn and are slamming 60 divine shield stacks or +300 attack/+300 health from a single morsel. If you miss one thing you hit another, and the decks function well whether they're 18 cards or 34 cards because you mostly want to hit everything once.

I admittedly don't draft wrathful often. I draft it the 1/x games I have not hit the combo I want by the second or third pick. It's fine, but with umbra it's unneeded to frontline the hellhorned champ and actively works against the crucible gorgers.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Aug 3, 2020