Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Who is in a noroom outside my citadel scraeming 'abdicate'? Reveal yourslef to my prescience coward! I will never abdicate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1274348052485074945

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jul 25, 2020

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

fuckin lol

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

how was beefswelling.com not registered

(it is now)

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

e:

Murray Mantoinette fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jul 25, 2020

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Is Leto a volcel - the greatest thread in the history of gbs locked after 3000 years of heated debate

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Where the gently caress is our trailer?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Ingmar terdman posted:

Is Leto a volcel - the greatest thread in the history of gbs locked after 3000 years of heated debate

He died because he went from being a volcel to an incel

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
The virgin God Emperor vs the Chad Duncan Ghola

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ingmar terdman posted:

lol

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Yo just popping in to say on the whole Leto II vs wait-isnt-leto-also-his-other-dead-kids-name one of the Arrakeen priests in Heretics straight up asks more or less "why did they name the third leto 'leto two'" and I really appreciated it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

We named the third Leto Leto One

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

"Good Leto" --Cotton Atreides

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

euphronius posted:

We named the third Leto Leto One

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

He didn't have enough RAM to be truly prescient

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Random Ancestor Memories

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
Idaho darted a quick glance along Leto’s supine length.
They always look for the RAM, Leto thought. Perhaps I should have something made, a gross expansion pak to shock them. He choked back the small burst of amusement which threatened to erupt from his throat.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Prolonged Priapism posted:

Random Ancestor Memories

Reverend Ancestor Memories

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Homebound worm obsessed with chad swordsman spends a book explaining why he could never get laid

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The life of Leto II is basically like an Adult Swim sitcom, with the immortal worm emperor making random historical references and almost breaking the fourth wall while constantly recruiting all the people who try to kill him, and the repeatedly cloned ancient barbarian being all 'what the gently caress' all of the time

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Ramc posted:

Yo just popping in to say on the whole Leto II vs wait-isnt-leto-also-his-other-dead-kids-name one of the Arrakeen priests in Heretics straight up asks more or less "why did they name the third leto 'leto two'" and I really appreciated it.

I've just finished listening to an audiobook of Heretics and... it was really pretty good? I remembered it being quite rubbish, but it goes back to one of the things I really like about Dune that Herbert doesn't do in Messiah, Children or GE - there's actual weird new stuff that people who aren't Duncan don't know about. eg, in Messiah the Guild steersman being a weird fish guy was a fait accompli, with everyone in the setting already knowing about it (despite that being a retcon of the end of Dune).

In Heretics, however, you have things like the guy from the scattering waffling on and Teg thinking "what the gently caress is this guy talking about", which is much more fun.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

It's been a while since I read it, but can someone remind me what the gently caress happened in the ending of Chapterhouse? They shot themselves out into space without any kind of navigation, and two facedancers/machines/what tried to throw up some sort of net to catch the ship and missed?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Meridian posted:

It's been a while since I read it, but can someone remind me what the gently caress happened in the ending of Chapterhouse? They shot themselves out into space without any kind of navigation, and two facedancers/machines/what tried to throw up some sort of net to catch the ship and missed?

That's pretty much it.

Edit: unless you forgot about the bene gesserit merging with the honored matres after murbella took over

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

pnumoman posted:

That's pretty much it.

Edit: unless you forgot about the bene gesserit merging with the honored matres after murbella took over

Yeah I do remember that. I just wanted to confirm that the whole thing ended without an ending really.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Meridian posted:

Yeah I do remember that. I just wanted to confirm that the whole thing ended without an ending really.

Yup, no real ending and just the setup for the next book.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Shageletic posted:

Homebound worm obsessed with chad swordsman spends a book explaining why he could never get laid

The 3,000-year-old virgin

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Meridian posted:

Pretty sure they’re explicitly not machines, which makes Brian Herbert’s next book even dumber and really casts doubt on him actually having notes from his father

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I finished Chapterhouse not long ago and had no idea what was going on with those two 'old people' sitting in front of a farmhouse. And to be honest I still don't after reading these posts.

Also not sure what the point of the Secret Jews was, except to preserve Lucilla for Sharing and to tie in with the religious theme

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate

Phlegmish posted:

Also not sure what the point of the Secret Jews was

Frank was a major Mel Brooks fan.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Meridian posted:

Yeah those guys are face dancers, unless you're planning to cash in on your dad's name and you can't shake your fixation on generic genocidal robot plots

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

So are the 'failson' books really bad, or is it just classic goon snobbery? Are there more examples of failing to grasp the point?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Phlegmish posted:

So are the 'failson' books really bad, or is it just classic goon snobbery? Are there more examples of failing to grasp the point?

They’re cowritten with consummate hack Kevin J Anderson who even as a dumb tween I knew sucked all kinds of rear end from reading his lovely licensed star wars books.

And he’s the more talented one of that combo.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

lol ok

I'm not going to lie and say that I liked every aspect of the Dune series, now that I've read all six books, but it's definitely unique and interesting in or outside of the context of science fiction. Doesn't sound like you'd ever want an author of generic Star Wars EA drivel writing those books.

They need someone who is a decent writer but also moderately insane

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah I have read one of the failson books and there weren’t any new interesting ideas it was just a lot of using what was already in place but for dumber, smaller stories. Keeping things fresh in a no-fridge, etc.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Phlegmish posted:

They're incredibly bad. I picked one up for a quick trash read and couldn't get past the first twenty pages.

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
I'm not jihading against Dune fan fiction, I just prefer to keep those books on my No-read shelf and discuss them in the No-@Duneauthor Zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
As a teen I read the first 3 House ___________ books that set the stage for Dune, and I wouldn't call them bad. They are pretty comparable to the Star Wars prequels in they are fleshing out one-liners from the originals and we know the ultimate fates of all of the characters, so everything is low stakes, but it's still fun to be in the Dune universe again.

Everything past those books are absolutely garbage though.