Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lmao at RT responding

https://twitter.com/RT_com/status/1287373531119067141?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I don't get how these people suing the political party they are (theoretically) devoting their lives to supporting can look themselves in the mirror.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

If anyone (Starmer) thinks that this would put an end to it, he is very much mistaken. The LP would be jumping to their whims at any time thereafter.

This is what I recall from CLP meetings a year or so ago, members (particularly those heavily invested in the Guardian view of the world) repeatedly saying 'if he (Corbyn) just apologizes we can draw a line under it and it will go away.' But he apologized over and over again, and it never went away, it just keeps on and on.

I note that tories can just say "We've drawn a line under that and won't be discussing it further." about just about anything and get away with it.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jul 26, 2020

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

If anyone (Starmer) thinks that this would put an end to it, he is very much mistaken. The LP would be jumping to their whims at any time thereafter.
Its great. Its been such an effective tool to attack the Labour Party with, so not only are the Tories going to keep using it, but its still going to be used as a weapon internally as well.

Even I can do it too; "Starmer is a member of an institutionally anti-Semitic party and tried to get one elected to PM, and I cannot in good conscience vote for a racist". Boom, done.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

:siren: New Praxiscast :siren:

Take your mind off the crumbling mess that is the Labour Party with a podcast about dinosaurs (and i'm reliably informed also magma for some reason???)

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1287382501078564869

In case you missed it we've also got Josh Sawyer on the last episode to talk about colonialism/politics in video games which was a lot of fun, but had less dino-facts.

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1285630943399747586

Enjoy!

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I enjoyed episode 45 even though I didn't really know what was going on. Except when you mentioned Hitman, I know that one :v:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Having only learned about glinners transphobia long after he got into it it's wild seeing jk Rowling go the same way in real time

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Oh cool we've gone full tilt into the "fucks sake what's she said now?" phase.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is she at it again?

Or rather is it a case of never stopping?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

ronya posted:

laying down the party line might've required more authority than any left-wing Labour leader could plausibly have; it's not just one or two loonies to corral into keeping quiet

I know it is not a 1:1 comparison but if people had been holding up ANC flags in the 1980's, would you be calling them loonies as well?

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Jose posted:

The lawyer representing Iain mcnichol and the rest

https://twitter.com/TheBirmingham6/status/1287093783985872896?s=19

quote:

The lawyer, who made his name representing Milly Dowler’s family against the News of the World over phone hacking, blamed his outburst on Clonazepam, a sedative he was given during a medical trial for multiple sclerosis, side effects of which include aggression and hallucinations.

Mr Lewis claimed that, after regaining full consciousness, was “was horrified to see what I had done”, and deleted the posts.'
whom amongst us hasn't accidentally told someone that we hope their father has to sit shiva for them soon whilst posting in a semi-conscious state?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
If the Labour left does get purged and creates a new party, is it doomed to go the way of CUK or could the grassroots energy that Corbyn mobilised go some way to mitigating the disadvantages of being a smaller party under FPTP, and even potentially make a successful case that it's the 'real' Labour Party?

Usually I'd disregard the idea, but these are strange times and there was a hell of a lot of energy behind JC that hasn't gone anywhere. Obviously there's not going to be a landslide win for a new party but perhaps a few seats...

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jul 26, 2020

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

ThomasPaine posted:

If the Labour left does get purged and creates a new party, is it doomed to go the way of CUK or could the grassroots energy that Corbyn mobilised go some way to mitigating the disadvantages of being a smaller party under FPTP, and even potentially make a successful case that it's the 'real' Labour Party?

Usually I'd disregard the idea, but these are strange times and there was a hell of a lot of energy behind JC that hasn't gone anywhere. Obviously there's not going to be a landslide win for a new party but perhaps a few seats...

As I've said many times, it depends whether it gets union backing, and if so, how many and which ones.

The unions not only bring large amounts of money, but also provide a sense of institutional legitimacy that a new party with otherwise no real support anywhere else simply wouldn't have.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

What the Funny Tinges neglected to do most of all was to try to build any kind of electoral base or personal appeal outside "I am your [$_PARTY] candidate". The most likely source for a new party of the left would be inner-city seats with a large existing Labour majority in the constituency and on local authorities, a sizeable proportion of younger voters willing to actually go to the polls, and a sitting MP and/or councillors willing to throw their lot in and minimise the effect of voter loyalty to the old party. They'd probably also have to be open to tactical alliances with the Greens and the Lib Dems, who at the first sign of an actual split in the Labour Party would be buzzing round a number of key seats quicker than you could say Jack Robinson.

The new party's supporters would also have to be under no impression that the absolute ceiling for the first couple of elections would be no higher than the 1906 election and there would be no hope of taking national power as anything other than a very junior coalition partner or confidence/supply partner for a generation afterwards. There could be appeal in the idea of a party which accepts that the most they can do for now is to drag the Overton window to the left and play on the "another victory for Prime Minister Jeremy Corbyn" angle, and it is of course very easy to be united and ideologically pure when you don't have to turn an ideological principle into an inevitably imperfect real-world solution.

I don't think it's impossible. It *would* take a lot of things all coming together at once. It would also require them to all keep pulling on the same rope instead of succumbing to the urge to keep splitting when some things didn't go their way. I also think casting themselves as "Real Labour" or whatever would be a massive own goal unless it were in service of taking over existing Labour's assets (and would still remain a double-edged sword); the whole point of the Labour Representation Committee was that they were trying to do something new.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Apraxin posted:

whom amongst us hasn't accidentally told someone that we hope their father has to sit shiva for them soon whilst posting in a semi-conscious state?

I just hope that the makers of Clonzepam go full Roseanne and make a post saying “Making Anti-Semitic comments and Death Threats is not a known side effect of our medicines.”

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

The Question IRL posted:

I just hope that the makers of Clonzepam go full Roseanne and make a post saying “Making Anti-Semitic comments and Death Threats is not a known side effect of our medicines.”

nhs says:

you see or hear things that are not there (hallucinations) or think things that aren't true (delusions)

I could do with some.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Generic Pharmasec Ltd takes no responsibility for any grand pianos you may purchase while under the influence of benzodiazepine drugs.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/wariotifo/status/1287426093683744768?s=20

Good to see the noble Labour MP defending the honour of Ghislaine Maxwell

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

ThomasPaine posted:

The Labour Party will die if a wing of it with confirmed left wing credentials splits off so even if it’s not immediately successful it will at least have helped to kill the plague which is Labour and that’s a worthy goal tbh

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Sanitary Naptime posted:

The Labour Party will die if a wing of it with confirmed left wing credentials splits off so even if it’s not immediately successful it will at least have helped to kill the plague which is Labour and that’s a worthy goal tbh

The other side of the party thought the same about the SDP back in the day...

Active Quasar
Feb 22, 2011

Communist Thoughts posted:

eh like 60-70% of the electorate solidly beleive the media.
thats the big issue we gotta deal with imo. gently caress knows how though

This is true but that still leaves a sizeable chunk of people who are incredibly pissed off with the status quo and could be brought on board. Right now the right are pushing down hard on a message of "There is no hope, give up, we will crush you", which is what the antisemitism narrative has morphed into. "We will smear you and then gaslight you and force you to apologise for what we did you to" is a very effective way of keeping people atomised. As time goes on, the will to actually challenge the right will diminish but right now, there's still a lot of angry people who saw what solidarity could do, and who have just learned the lesson that you never, ever trust Liberals.

The media needs to be openly confronted, because it is a force wielded by an enemy. There's simply no way around that. Staying low and quiet isn't the way to do that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Sheerman has an incredibly powerful brain.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

ronya posted:

I'm a bit divided about this read; on one hand, when Corbyn decided to triangulate on police and Trident, people who one might've thought would never give up on that hill suddenly obediently turned about. Not only :effort: but in many cases actively arguing that these were genius chess moves that would be the one thing they are willing to sell to the conservative heartland working class

on the other hand, when Corbyn decided to triangulate on Brexit, many of his Labour insurgency supporters were, let's say, not terribly obedient on the messaging

on which side of that divide does I/P land? I don't know, you tell me:

laying down the party line might've required more authority than any left-wing Labour leader could plausibly have; it's not just one or two loonies to corral into keeping quiet

The small group of people who have caused most of the big antisemitic flashpoints are not introspective enough for an intervention by Corbyn to have had any effect. Whereas the vast majority of Labour members are not so blinkered, and a scheme of political education (along the lines Jon Lansman had called for) pointing out what constitutes antisemitic dogwhistles could have been really effective if it had started early enough and had properly fed into the parties anti-racist agenda.

For example, after the last 4 years there is no excuse for anyone adjacent to power in the Labour party to be retweeting or otherwise endorsing an articles/speeches/videos/images with overt antisemitic dogwhistles or otherwise dodgy suppositions about Israel or Jews. This is where incompetence crushed our anti-racist credentials. I can fully believe that RLB didn't actually read that interview with Maxine Peak or simply glanced over the 2 sentence paragraph that caused the trouble, but for a middle-aged trained solicitor who was been a front-bencher since 2015, that is not good enough. She got binned by Starmer in part for toeing too close to the teachers unions, but if we're to live up to our own agenda then if Corbyn was still in position and more ruthless RLB should've been binned anyway, for incompetence.

twoot fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 26, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

On the other hand that's a load of shite and she did nothing wrong and jumping at every disingenous whinge coming out of the liberal commentariat will get you nowhere. Run on a platform of gulags for all journalists.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

I think I've said it before, but if I was the police and not corrupt I'd be making a big list of all the Epstein/Maxwell defenders and investigating the hell out of them

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

https://www.theguardian.com/society...AndroidApp_Edge

Cool, just in time for the millennials to get totally shafted, again, continuously, until the day we loving die.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

twoot posted:

For example, after the last 4 years there is no excuse for anyone adjacent to power in the Labour party to be retweeting or otherwise endorsing an articles/speeches/videos/images with overt antisemitic dogwhistles or otherwise dodgy suppositions about Israel or Jews. This is where incompetence crushed our anti-racist credentials. I can fully believe that RLB didn't actually read that interview with Maxine Peak or simply glanced over the 2 sentence paragraph that caused the trouble, but for a middle-aged trained solicitor who was been a front-bencher since 2015, that is not good enough. She got binned by Starmer in part for toeing too close to the teachers unions, but if we're to live up to our own agenda then if Corbyn was still in position and more ruthless RLB should've been binned anyway, for incompetence.

They would have found SOMETHING. Maybe she would have lasted a week or two or even a month or two longer, but they would eventually have found some excuse to junk her. It wasn't about her actions specifically, it was about her having done SOMETHING they could sell as a reason to fire her. Nobody can be careful enough to avoid the axe forever when the axe is on a hair trigger (this axe has a trigger whaddayagunnado) which has nothing to do with why it's ostensibly being swung.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Boy it's a good thing that jeremy corbyn didn't get in and raise taxes isn't it.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

twoot posted:

The small group of people who have caused most of the big antisemitic flashpoints are not introspective enough for an intervention by Corbyn to have had any effect. Whereas the vast majority of Labour members are not so blinkered, and a scheme of political education (along the lines Jon Lansman had called for) pointing out what constitutes antisemitic dogwhistles could have been really effective if it had started early enough and had properly fed into the parties anti-racist agenda.

I remarked at the time that I thought it was a mistake; Starmer should have asked her to sign off on a sufficiently grovelling apology, RLB would predictably refuse (because she had been transparently testing the waters on what Starmer would let her get away with in multiple areas), and then Starmer would have had carte blanche to boot her. I suppose that's a quibble but would separate incompetence from recalcitrance. By dismissing her immediately Starmer opened himself up to speculation on what standard he would enforce and that's indeed what some of the normally soft-inclined MPs are wavering on.

I'm not sure a JVL-approved diversity training would suffice - there's too many in the party quick to assert theoretically Correct but completely incredible stances like "of course I don't think Israel has a right to exist, I don't think any state should exist :smug: - why yes, that is a Palestinian flag I am holding, why do you ask?". Which cannot be barred on principle but is also, well, completely incredible as anti-racist credentials go. What you're suggesting is tantamount to a unilateral ban on commenting on anything that mentions I/P because the party, even senior professional members, are plainly too indisciplined to make unreviewed comment on the subject. Which might be true but perhaps not achievable, not even by a leader commanding a phenomenal degree of personal authority in the party.

ronya fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 26, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Perhaps left wing politics is inherently incompatible with the idiotic form of media politesse that bears no relation to anybody who matters' loving life and which yet every supposed left wing leader is terrified of deviating from, because they spend too much time around other people who live their lives by it. And if you're ever going to motivate a popular left wing movement centered in the people it ougth to serve, you have to throw that entire thing out of the window and encourage a complete disregard not only for adhering to it but also its entire legitimacy as a concept.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

thespaceinvader posted:

this axe has a trigger whaddayagunnado
In nautical terms that would be a 'boarding pass'.

ronya posted:

there's too many in the party quick to assert theoretically Correct but completely incredible stances like "of course I don't think Israel has a right to exist, I don't think any state should exist :smug: - why yes, that is a Palestinian flag I am holding, why do you ask?". Which cannot be barred on principle but is also, well, completely incredible as anti-racist credentials go.
One could hold a reasonable position that some states have less of a right to exist than others, comparing, say, the Confederate States of America and apartheid South Africa to states with anti-racism enshrined in their constitution (and possibly selectively applied in reality but at least condemned by the executive) like Kenya, and plot various states along there.

I'm not sure how many otherwise doctrinaire anarchists there are in Labour with Palestinian flags though.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

ronya posted:

I remarked at the time that I thought it was a mistake; Starmer should have asked her to sign off on a sufficiently grovelling apology, RLB would predictably refuse (because she had been transparently testing the waters on what Starmer would let her get away with in multiple areas), and then Starmer would have had carte blanche to boot her. I suppose that's a quibble but would separate incompetence from recalcitrance. By dismissing her immediately Starmer opened himself up to speculation on what standard he would enforce and that's indeed what some of the normally soft-inclined MPs are wavering on.

I'm not sure a JVL-approved diversity training would suffice - there's too many in the party quick to assert theoretically Correct but completely incredible stances like "of course I don't think Israel has a right to exist, I don't think any state should exist :smug: - why yes, that is a Palestinian flag I am holding, why do you ask?". Which cannot be barred on principle but is also, well, completely incredible as anti-racist credentials go. What you're suggesting is tantamount to a unilateral ban on commenting on anything that mentions I/P because the party, even senior professional members, are plainly too indisciplined to make unreviewed comment on the subject. Which might be true but perhaps not achievable, not even by a leader commanding a phenomenal degree of personal authority in the party.

that is what happened though near enough isn't it?
RLB refused to delete the original tweet as required by the LOTO as part of her apology, giving the casus beli for her dismissal.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Cerv posted:

that is what happened though near enough isn't it?
RLB refused to delete the original tweet as required by the LOTO as part of her apology, giving the casus beli for her dismissal.

Hmm, kinda, it seems. According to her version of events in the Graun, it was a refusal via counteroffer to have the boss personally intervene to sign off on outcomes - instead of herself hanging out to dry, she wants her mistake to wrap the rest of the organization too. That's unpleasant but should still have received a "no, this is your screwup, please handle this in your personal capacity" response rather than "nah you're fired, clear your desk"

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

it's almost like they wanted any excuse to get rid of her :thunk:

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

They would have found SOMETHING. Maybe she would have lasted a week or two or even a month or two longer, but they would eventually have found some excuse to junk her. It wasn't about her actions specifically, it was about her having done SOMETHING they could sell as a reason to fire her. Nobody can be careful enough to avoid the axe forever when the axe is on a hair trigger (this axe has a trigger whaddayagunnado) which has nothing to do with why it's ostensibly being swung.

Probably. But I also think it should be the responsibility of the leading left-members of our leading left-wing political party to be good at politics. Throwing in the towel is not that.

ronya posted:

What you're suggesting is tantamount to a unilateral ban on commenting on anything that mentions I/P because the party, even senior professional members, are plainly too indisciplined to make unreviewed comment on the subject. Which might be true but perhaps not achievable, not even by a leader commanding a phenomenal degree of personal authority in the party.

I don't really agree. Professional-level members with a media profile shouldn't be diverging from party's policy in public anyway. For an everyday member we should be following the example of leading leftist jews in the ways I/P can be discussed without crossing the line into antisemitism.

OwlFancier posted:

Perhaps left wing politics is inherently incompatible with the idiotic form of media politesse that bears no relation to anybody who matters' loving life and which yet every supposed left wing leader is terrified of deviating from, because they spend too much time around other people who live their lives by it. And if you're ever going to motivate a popular left wing movement centered in the people it ougth to serve, you have to throw that entire thing out of the window and encourage a complete disregard not only for adhering to it but also its entire legitimacy as a concept.

It doesn't matter what level of media control you have if you can't live by your own loving agenda. I won't take poo poo from a "leftist" who has a sudden softspot for landlordism because they were given a flat to profit with by daddy.

I don't accept that I have to put up explicit or accidental antisemitism, and after 4 years I'm done with being demotivated by idiots who can't help themselves. The bare minimum a professional politico can do is read the thing they are about to tweet first.

twoot fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 26, 2020

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

baka kaba posted:

it's almost like they wanted any excuse to get rid of her :thunk:

you really think someone would do that? just become labour leader on a moderate platform and kick out all the leftists?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Just went out for an evening walk and a Lancaster escorted by two Spitfires randomly flew over. Is this Brexit??

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

twoot posted:

I don't accept that I have to put up explicit or accidental antisemitism, and after 4 years I'm done with being demotivated by idiots who can't help themselves. The bare minimum a professional politico can do is read the thing they are about to tweet first.

You don't, but she didn't do that, it's entirely facetious outcry generated solely by massive tories looking to manfacture outrage and capitalized on by shithead starmer.

You know why labour people care about I/P, I know why, that media scum pretend not is unavoidable but what is avoidable is that we should be led by them, they are worthless, their opinions are worthless, their outrage is manufactured and meaningless, gently caress them, gently caress their complaints, to hell with the lot of them, the sooner they're all in the dirt the better off the world will be.

We can't have a worthwhile society or a worthwhile political movement if we're going to constantly comport to their completely absurd and meaningless drivel.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 26, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Going to found a new party for the next election with a single manifesto promise: to build a giant blender and toss every journalist in the UK into it while it's running

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

twoot posted:

Perhaps she did and did not see anything anti-semitic in it?

The original interview with Peake said, IIRC, something along the lines of Israeli security forces training police officers.

As the Israeli Krav Magna institute in Brooklyn was at that very time showing on its front page a large image of people being trained in knee on the neck technique and a list of various police forces in the US and other locations it was working with, and saying training was being carried out by former members of Israeli security forces, I'm not sure why that makes the comment 'anti-semitic'. (Note that they have since pulled that page and you need to go to the web archive to see it as it was before the furore.)

https://web.archive.org/web/20200626012422/https://israelitacticalkravmaga.com/law-enforcement/