Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Except it requires rewatching the Pokémon catching tutorial as a first step, so i dunno why you would do that when you’re at the point in the game where you have a pokemon with surf.

You can also catch Pokemon from Safari Zone in those tiles if you fly straight to Cinnabar after leaving the Zone. Wouldn't surprise me if that was found first, then once people knew those tiles were weird they started looking for other related glitches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Except it requires rewatching the Pokémon catching tutorial as a first step, so i dunno why you would do that when you’re at the point in the game where you have a pokemon with surf.

You can get a bunch of glitch mon there, not just Missingno, based on your own name. The old man just ensures you get a very certain set of mons there as it sets your name to Old Man temporarily.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The Old Man stores your name in the grass encounter table temporarily, he doesn't store the name "Old Man" anywhere but in your name slot. If you don't use him, you get the grass encounters from the last area you visited that had them.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Dabir posted:

The Old Man stores your name in the grass encounter table temporarily, he doesn't store the name "Old Man" anywhere but in your name slot. If you don't use him, you get the grass encounters from the last area you visited that had them.

what if I named myself Old Man

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

The reason it was Missingno. was because most kids used a default name, which includes all the other default names and the end-of-name terminator in its string. Note that out of like 20+ kids I knew who played maybe two used a name that wasn't part of the default-name string. (Missingno., being roughly 40 Pokémon that just look like a single Pokémon, is much easier to get than even a normal Pokémon). So you knew about Missingno. and not necessarily 'M because the latter required a non-default name, and you didn't hear about, like, glitch trainers at all for ages because very few kids used the symbols in the correct spots.

It's kind of obtuse to get the Old Man glitch working but it's the kind of obtuse that a few thousand children would be easily able to stumble upon given enough time, and of course a kid would talk about what they did when they found it because back then kids thought Missingno. was just a secret legendary like Mew. It's not the kind of obtuse that the Trainer-Fly/Mew glitch is, where it took nearly a decade after release to verify that it wasn't schoolyard "My uncle who works at Nintendo" bullshit due to the number of factors you need to put into place to have the original variant work.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I remember in elementary school, a kid in my class accidentally discovered a Pokemon duplication glitch in gen 2 because his Gameboy happened to run out of battery right when the game was saving due to switching PC boxes, which then basically everyone abused to make sure that you had a team consisting entirely of the same legendary pokemon.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Don Gato posted:

I remember in elementary school, a kid in my class accidentally discovered a Pokemon duplication glitch in gen 2 because his Gameboy happened to run out of battery right when the game was saving due to switching PC boxes, which then basically everyone abused to make sure that you had a team consisting entirely of the same legendary pokemon.

I remember that glitch, i remember the rush when trying it for the first time: "either this is going to gently caress up my game or i have another pokemon + MASTER BALL ('cause items were duplicated too)"

pretty awesome that the battery died at the exact right moment though. That was a tightrope walk

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I found the area around Cinnabar independently, mine was all level 147 squirtles. I posted it on the pokemon mailing list and got banned from the computer because somebody called me a lying piece of poo poo rear end in a top hat and my mom caught me composing an appropriate reply.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

RandomFerret posted:

I found the area around Cinnabar independently, mine was all level 147 squirtles. I posted it on the pokemon mailing list and got banned from the computer because somebody called me a lying piece of poo poo rear end in a top hat and my mom caught me composing an appropriate reply.

Bullshit. Stop lying, rear end in a top hat!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://web.archive.org/web/20001002201054/http://www.nintendo.com/codes/gb/pokemonyellowversionspecialpikachuedition.html

The funny thing is that nintendo's official cheat code list for pokemon doesn't have cinnabar island, but DOES have pressing B at the right time to make it easier to catch pokemon.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I wouldn't trust any official tips from Nintendo.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
Cowboys and Samurai are the same, you say?

https://twitter.com/Demyx_KH13/status/1286546855732457472

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Bringing back Gangnam Style like it's 2012.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tunicate posted:

https://web.archive.org/web/20001002201054/http://www.nintendo.com/codes/gb/pokemonyellowversionspecialpikachuedition.html

The funny thing is that nintendo's official cheat code list for pokemon doesn't have cinnabar island, but DOES have pressing B at the right time to make it easier to catch pokemon.
Input during the catching scene in the original pokemon games does affect the RNG, but not in a way that you can consistently improve your odds if you don't have total knowledge of how and the current state of the RNG.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Last Chance posted:

I remember that glitch, i remember the rush when trying it for the first time: "either this is going to gently caress up my game or i have another pokemon + MASTER BALL ('cause items were duplicated too)"

pretty awesome that the battery died at the exact right moment though. That was a tightrope walk

I wonder if you could remove the internal battery from a GBA SP and pull the cord at just the right moment to get that working every time.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

I wonder if you could remove the internal battery from a GBA SP and pull the cord at just the right moment to get that working every time.

Just use the power switch, which is how I learned of it years ago and how it's listed on Bulbapedia too.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Grace Baiting posted:

Just use the power switch, which is how I learned of it years ago and how it's listed on Bulbapedia too.

Makes sense, I thought the battery had to die for it to replicate properly. Like, a slow drop in voltage compared to all at once makes something with the processor do a specific thing. Wouldn’t be the weirdest thing about a pokemon glitch.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Makes sense, I thought the battery had to die for it to replicate properly. Like, a slow drop in voltage compared to all at once makes something with the processor do a specific thing. Wouldn’t be the weirdest thing about a pokemon glitch.
No, it's just about the mid-transfer interruption. The games first write down the transferred data on one side of the trade and then on the other, with enough of a delay between the two that cutting off the power at the right moment makes the trade be retained on one end while the other forgets about it.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

You could just turn it off at the right time I think? once you got the hang of it (you just shut it off after the three dots in "Saving..." appeared.

The reason I think this worked is that box data was saved separately somehow from your game progress and current party data, so you're cutting power after your box data was saved but before your progress data was? Or vice versa.

I remember this box data thing because I used a GBC Gameshark to save a state of my Pokemon Yellow game while I started a new game, when I reloaded the save state, the progress and party was fine but all of my boxed Pokemon were cleared out.

e: beaten, I left this tab open all morning lol

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Needs coconuts.

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
I learned to do the missingno glitch first doing it by doing an in gane trade first, then when there were no more trades you had to start a new game to do the glitch again

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I'm sure everybody already knows about the Hitman briefcase thing by now, but this is just a :discourse: example of it

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_pza02nmLnk1uc466y_720.mp4

Hitman has homing for all its object kills to make the gameplay feel smoother. Normally you'd never notice it because your targets are almost always walking slowly, but the briefcase moves a lot slower than most thrown objects, and sometimes your targets are moving more quickly.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
"Unnoticed kill." Yeeeah, suuure.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

:kiss:
Sad that the actual game didn't click for me, I really wanted to live out my briefcase assassin dreams.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Captain Hygiene posted:

:kiss:
Sad that the actual game didn't click for me, I really wanted to live out my briefcase assassin dreams.

I was shocked I got 100h out of the most recent hitman, it felt like I only played a little while...super good game but I'm not one of those people that lives of perfect silent assassin runs, just play the levels a while and move on.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

RandomFerret posted:

I'm sure everybody already knows about the Hitman briefcase thing by now, but this is just a :discourse: example of it

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_pza02nmLnk1uc466y_720.mp4

Hitman has homing for all its object kills to make the gameplay feel smoother. Normally you'd never notice it because your targets are almost always walking slowly, but the briefcase moves a lot slower than most thrown objects, and sometimes your targets are moving more quickly.

The initial version of the briefcase in Hitman 2 was like this, but they changed it so briefcases move faster. They can still curve, but it is no longer that ridiculous.

...then they added a special briefcase you can unlock that keeps the old behavior. This is its description: “This physics-bending briefcase is designed to induce fear and terror in whoever gets in its way. With a throwing speed tweaked for maximum style, there is no end to the possibilities this item offers. Of course, it sports the signature MK II look - the ultimate mark of superb craftsmanship! Could be used to hide illegal items but that is clearly besides the point."

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 17:45 on Jul 26, 2020

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

LifeSunDeath posted:

I was shocked I got 100h out of the most recent hitman, it felt like I only played a little while...super good game but I'm not one of those people that lives of perfect silent assassin runs, just play the levels a while and move on.

I felt like there was a secret comedy option toggle that I was missing or something. Like, I watched an LP and it was just endless wacky hijinx, but when I tried to play everyone was suspicious as gently caress, and I'd just get failure after failure. I keep meaning to give it another try but I keep finding other games I want to play more :sweatdrop:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Captain Hygiene posted:

I felt like there was a secret comedy option toggle that I was missing or something. Like, I watched an LP and it was just endless wacky hijinx, but when I tried to play everyone was suspicious as gently caress, and I'd just get failure after failure. I keep meaning to give it another try but I keep finding other games I want to play more :sweatdrop:

There's a ton of good comedy in the game, esp in the optional kills you can do on targets...but yeah, I felt like to get the most out of it you need to be really into perfect runs, or escalation missions, which I'm not into because I don't want to stress that much. Sadly hacks/cheats don't work super good for the game since they have always online, I always wanted a ghost cheat so I could mess around a bunch. Oh on some levels it's possible to kill every NPC on a map, that's a pretty fun thing to do in that game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Mierenneuker posted:

The initial version of the briefcase in Hitman 2 was like this, but they changed it so briefcases move faster. They can still curve, but it is no longer that ridiculous.

...then they added a special briefcase you can unlock that keeps the old behavior. This is its description: “This physics-bending briefcase is designed to induce fear and terror in whoever gets in its way. With a throwing speed tweaked for maximum style, there is no end to the possibilities this item offers. Of course, it sports the signature MK II look - the ultimate mark of superb craftsmanship! Could be used to hide illegal items but that is clearly besides the point."
It's nice when a developer can laugh at themselves and the silly idiosyncrasies of their own work like that. Some people would've been really offended by people making silly videos of their magical floating briefcases.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

It's nice when a developer can laugh at themselves and the silly idiosyncrasies of their own work like that. Some people would've been really offended by people making silly videos of their magical floating briefcases.

The last two Hitman games embrace the silliness at times. There is an easter egg exit in the Colorado map where you leave the militia compound riding a toy reptile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT9edu943ts
(skip to 1:40 for the pay-off)

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Mierenneuker posted:

The last two Hitman games embrace the silliness at times. There is an easter egg exit in the Colorado map where you leave the militia compound riding a toy reptile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT9edu943ts
(skip to 1:40 for the pay-off)

Clicking play on this video caused AwfulApp to glitch out and flash a black screen. I just assume you did something clever.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

They really took the right message away from the criticisms people had for Hitman: Absolution.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

every single writer who worked on absolution was fired by square enix aside from a couple of guys who worked on incidental npc dialogue

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

That's a bit harsh, there were at least a couple of nice set pieces and maps in there even if there were too many hallway shooter maps.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The only thing I remember anyone saying about Absolution was that it was subtly set in the Deus Ex universe. I'm kinda not surprised to hear that was the only thing worth saying about it at all.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

madeintaipei posted:

Clicking play on this video caused AwfulApp to glitch out and flash a black screen. I just assume you did something clever.

Yeah I've been getting that too with embedded videos. My favourite game, the Awful app.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Der Kyhe posted:

That's a bit harsh, there were at least a couple of nice set pieces and maps in there even if there were too many hallway shooter maps.

there was also a lot of pretty reprehensible poo poo. every kind of bigotry up to and including antisemitism, especially some horrifying attitudes towards women. the original plan for the game was for it to be 47 avenging the rape and murder of the magic supersoldier 12 year old girl. it's the first game to give us a good look at 47's handler, the voice in his ear for the whole series, and it introduces us to her via a shot of her bare rear end in the shower. there's a strip club level where the intended way to get through a door is to drop the meticulously detailed decaying corpse of an abducted stripper on a security guard as a distraction. the writers deserved what they got

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Jesus, I am kind of glad I abandoned that game as early as I did now.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

LifeSunDeath posted:

There's a ton of good comedy in the game, esp in the optional kills you can do on targets...but yeah, I felt like to get the most out of it you need to be really into perfect runs, or escalation missions, which I'm not into because I don't want to stress that much. Sadly hacks/cheats don't work super good for the game since they have always online, I always wanted a ghost cheat so I could mess around a bunch. Oh on some levels it's possible to kill every NPC on a map, that's a pretty fun thing to do in that game.

I've used WeMod (probably a lot of spyware and poo poo, if I'm being honest), and there is a ghost mode cheat, and it works but for some of the triggers you have to turn it off if you want guards to notice things like tossed coins or other interactions. So if you want to play vengeful spirit it's OK, but it sucks a lot of fun and all the challenge out of the game play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/OE6F5Wc.mp4
Just had a funny moment in Ghost of Tsushima trying to challenge the lead guy to a standoff, he was having none of it