Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

victrix posted:

Dungeonmans really suffers from a) the name and b) the impression you get in the first hour or two

Which are, you know, great things in a world of 2 hour steam refunds, infinite game choice, and bundles with 10,000 games for $5.

Dungeonmans has

* an incredible loving OST (I mean incredible)
* fast, thoughtful, clean tactical combat
* a huge range of environments to fight and loot your way through
* very enjoyable character building with a ton of viable options
* a huge range of optional difficulty settings (both overt and not)
* as of the last several patches (because gently caress it, why not dev the same game for 6+ years?) has an infinitely scaling PoE style 'maps' system to explore
* and a similarly scaling means of juicing your gear into the stratosphere
* and a postgame, why not

And a bunch of cool seasonal content and an incredible secret rogue homage dungeon (with equally incredible musical homage to a classic dungeon crawler).

You can play it as a one and done ironman beat-the-end-boss and done game, you can play it as a metaprogression roguelike that gets easier every death as you power up your academy, you can play it as an infinite break-the-game Diablo/PoE Rifts/Maps dungeon delve.

But you won't see any of that if you die in the scrobold caves and fighting a few lovely bandits in the first dungeon or road encounter, and you definitely won't see it if you go 'eh, kinda quirky humor roguelike, must be dredmor, not for me'.

This is a good post about a good game and I'm very tempted to reinstall Dungeonmans and play some more of it, despite my massive backlog. :argh:

Angry Diplomat posted:

Qud's current final dungeon is a fantastic challenge that absolutely oozes lore and atmosphere. I was loving captivated the whole way through, finished my run at like 1am in the morning, and lay awake thinking about it for another hour. It's a genuinely incomparable experience and one of the coolest loving things I have ever seen in any roguelike, or possibly any game at all.

I'm waiting until the new UI is fully in and then I cannot WAIT to go ham on this game, it's wild to me that the SA forums are home to several of the best roguelike devs the world has ever seen. Dmans and Caves of Qud are masterclasses in their genre in very different directions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

StrixNebulosa posted:

This is a good post about a good game and I'm very tempted to reinstall Dungeonmans and play some more of it, despite my massive backlog. :argh:

(...)

it's wild to me that the SA forums are home to several of the best roguelike devs the world has ever seen. Dmans and Caves of Qud are masterclasses in their genre in very different directions.

From everything I read about Qud here it's a masterpiece and I wish I liked post-apoc themes more so I would feel like I should buy it/would enjoy it, but I definitely have to pick Dungeonmans up again, it's clearly it's gotten a ton of love since my last run years ago (and it was really good then, I just sucked at it!)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

describing qud as post-apocalyptic is kind of a bad thing to do since it's so alien that there's basically no context of a society that we even remotely recognize.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

describing qud as post-apocalyptic is kind of a bad thing to do since it's so alien that there's basically no context of a society that we even remotely recognize.

Post-post-apocalyptic.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

mostly it's that 'post-apocalyptic' in the gaming world carries certain connotations and qud really doesn't match up with most of them

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
IIRC Qud's apocalypse was something like "It used to be the Jetsons, but then a mathematician figured out a really Bad Secret and reality started to unravel."

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Qud's brand of post-apocalypse kinda strikes me as A Canticle for Leibowitz with less Catholicism (and more mutated wildlife that eats your face(s), but that's neither here nor there)

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Qud always gives me Gamma World vibes, although I have not played the pen & paper version in ages.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Dallan Invictus posted:

From everything I read about Qud here it's a masterpiece and I wish I liked post-apoc themes more so I would feel like I should buy it/would enjoy it, but I definitely have to pick Dungeonmans up again, it's clearly it's gotten a ton of love since my last run years ago (and it was really good then, I just sucked at it!)

Okay realtalk: regardless of what you think about its themes, try it. Please try it. The writing is spectacular and the gameplay moreso.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Johnny Joestar posted:

An extremely common bad thing, but yes, I'm not calling it Mad Max or something like Fallout or Wasteland (but I bounced hard off of those games so I don't have the context of What It Means In Gaming to contrast it with) but it did trip those signals in my brain and apparently in a lot of others. Like Smirr says, closer to something like Canticle.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Okay realtalk: regardless of what you think about its themes, try it. Please try it. The writing is spectacular and the gameplay moreso.

That's why I've had it wishlisted so I expect I will try it eventually. Even if I end up hating it the sheer craft deserves reward so I won't feel too bad.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 26, 2020

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Thanks for whoever upthread was spreading the good word about In Celebration of Violence. Great game for $8.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Dallan Invictus posted:

specific lore aside, the vibe reminds me most of Morrowind. in fact it's the only game that actually reminds of Morrowind.

"oh, my hand has become covered in eyes because of a mushroom? bit weird"

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Qud reminded me of the Book of the New Sun and Viriconium (or insert any dying earth book here probably) which have a similar vibe of being so long past a fallen society it isn't remotely Fallout or something but a strange new creation with just a vague memory of past greatness.

I'm extremely over the aesthetic grittiness of most post apocalyptic settings so I feel you on that.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It's like if Numenura was way darker and weirder.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

it really depends on whether the current state of affairs seems more like the shattered remnants of a fallen civilisation or if it seems like its own functional society built on the ruins of the precursors

that's like the thing with bethesda fallout where in 3 it's been hundreds of years since the bombs dropped and yet still everyone is just living in bombed out buildings scavenging for food in ruined supermarkets as opposed to the non-bethesda ones where there are actual realized societies that exist as their own things

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The real knowledge lost in the apocalypse was basic housekeeping and hygiene

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

Post-post-apocalyptic.

This is how I have described Qud

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

cock hero flux posted:

it really depends on whether the current state of affairs seems more like the shattered remnants of a fallen civilisation or if it seems like its own functional society built on the ruins of the precursors

Pretty much, yeah. "Science fantasy" feels like a better description, in the sense that "functional society built on the ruins of the precursors" is a dime a dozen in fantasy worlds but it feels different somehow when the ruins are technological instead of magical.

Anyway, that cognitive bias, plus stuff like water-as-currency and the survival aspects gave me the impression of the first but a lot of other stuff I read about it feels like it's doing the second, and realising it in a really impressive way. Plus it's on sale for one more day so I'll take that as a sign - thanks thread for showing me the light.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 27, 2020

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Smirr posted:

Qud's brand of post-apocalypse kinda strikes me as A Canticle for Leibowitz with less Catholicism (and more mutated wildlife that eats your face(s), but that's neither here nor there)

Oh man, Qud always reminded me of something but I could never quite put my finger on what it was. It was Canticle for Leibowitz; thank you

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
One of the quests that's been in the game for most of its existence is named after A Canticle for Leibowitz. It's the one you get after giving Argyve some wire, where he sends you to the Barathrumites.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
A bit late to the convo, but the way I'd describe the tone and humor in Dungeonmans is that it is kinda like The Princess Bride of roguelikes.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

One of the quests that's been in the game for most of its existence is named after A Canticle for Leibowitz. It's the one you get after giving Argyve some wire, where he sends you to the Barathrumites.

And yet, I didn't get it until just now

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I forgot I had Dungeonmans in my Steam account and fired it up today. Only an hour in, but this game's visuals are sharp and gorgeous.

Better still, immediate native support for HJKLYUBN, no custom key confuckery required. Even in menus. I love you, Madjack.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

Nordick posted:

A bit late to the convo, but the way I'd describe the tone and humor in Dungeonmans is that it is kinda like The Princess Bride of roguelikes.

Ya know I think this is why I could never really get into Dundeonmans, The Princess Bride is just OK when it comes to humor and playing a whole game of that got a little tired. Im all for levity but I dont think the game hits that fine line. Different strokes I guess.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Is FTL considered a rogue like?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

RC Cola posted:

we don't talk about the orangutan

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

cock hero flux posted:

we don't talk about the orangutan

I don't get it, but I love ftl. I realize I need to download stone soup again or dungeons of dreadmore. I miss rogue likes

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

RC Cola posted:

Yeah. Possibly more roguelite but it ticks those boxes.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
New episode of Roguelike Radio has got me jonesing to try my hand at Sil

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

So I like ftl, stone soup, and dungeons of dreadmore. Recommend me another rogue like to try out please. Is slay the spire rogue like? If so I love that as well

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

RC Cola posted:

So I like ftl, stone soup, and dungeons of dreadmore. Recommend me another rogue like to try out please. Is slay the spire rogue like? If so I love that as well
Have you ever played any FTL mods? There's a vibrant mod community and some of them are very good.

Try Invisible, Inc (turn-based rogue-like with unlockables like FTL with a very tight design) or Heat Signature (real-time rogue-lite from the creators of Gunpoint). Everyone eventually loses a month to Tales of Maj'Eyal, which is free but has paid DLC, and comes away wondering how they could fix it.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

beer gas canister posted:

New episode of Roguelike Radio has got me jonesing to try my hand at Sil

Huh. Roguelike Radio is still going on? Good to hear- I assumed it was dead.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

RC Cola posted:

if you're comfortable with Stone Soup try Caves of Qud. If you'd like a similar game but a bit more forgiving and focused, play Dungeonmans. If you want a non-turn based action game, try In Celebration of Violence.

played a couple of runs in Sil. it's drat cool. the tiny rooms and expressive enemy AI create a stifling atmosphere.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Heat Signature is amazing. Everyone should play it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Nordick posted:

The tone in that game is "isn't it funny when adults speak like four year olds?" To which the answer is "No".

Slay the Spire is roguelite rather than roguelike, but play it anyway because it's great.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Sil (no comment on it's fork, Sil-Q) is an amazing staple of the genre and is a gold standard up there with DoomRL for having a (RL) vision and hitting it out of the park. Honestly, if the main branch ever fired back up and rebalanced smithing the game would be subjectively perfect.

For people picking it up for the first time: Look for Deb's optimized early game build. Getting past the orc swarm of 250' and into the cool kooky poo poo of 400'+ will allow you to explore most of its great tactical options.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I was about to start Streets of Rogue and to my surprise, no one did a thread about it here in SA. Goons, you disappoint me. From what I understand of the game, it fits nicely in what usually goons love, a thread for it would have been successful.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I played dmans for the first time in ages yesterday and died to the boss in the second dungeon

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Captain Foo posted:

I played dmans for the first time in ages yesterday and died to the boss in the second dungeon

The game does not mess around. Even veterans die to early-game bosses, because the margins of error are smaller and you have fewer tools to work with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
One of the signs of a bad roguelike is that players never die early.