Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

galagazombie posted:

Was there ever really any way for the natives of the Americas to not get wiped out?

Forming an alliance with the norse:norway:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It's interesting to think about what happens if the norse presence were enough to spread disease and the population is bouncing back when Columbus arrives.

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's interesting to think about what happens if the norse presence were enough to spread disease and the population is bouncing back when Columbus arrives.

I suspect that the Norse population probably didn't have enough disease-carrying capacity - the population of Greenland was tiny.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Schadenboner posted:

IIRC blue pigment is super-duper toxic (even by the standards of pigments) so it's possible this is a folkway developed around it or some poo poo?
Not woad or ultramarine. Which pigment are you thinking of? Azurite could give you copper poisoning if ingested, but it's probably not insanely toxic, not by pigment standards anyway.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

chippocrates posted:

I suspect that the Norse population probably didn't have enough disease-carrying capacity - the population of Greenland was tiny.
Well they would bring over the diseases humans just get from proximity to domesticated animals, which were a major contributing factor to native's vulnerability to European diseases.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Scarodactyl posted:

Not woad or ultramarine. Which pigment are you thinking of? Azurite could give you copper poisoning if ingested, but it's probably not insanely toxic, not by pigment standards anyway.

Maybe it's a different color. Which ones are especially bad and are those connected with supersitions of unluck?

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Schadenboner posted:

Maybe it's a different color. Which ones are especially bad and are those connected with supersitions of unluck?

Cinnabar, maybe? It was used to make red pigment and I think mining it was pretty much a death sentence (or at least a quicker death sentence).

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Cool stuff

https://twitter.com/dvoshart/status/1286704635370143745?s=21

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Florianus :stonk:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

He was done using the dreamworks algorithm.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Numerian looks like Will Smith.

Edit: I would trust Pertinax with my plumbing, I would let Lucious Verus & Markus Aurelius play at my wedding and I would use Aurelian to sell my beard trimmer. I would not trust Nero with my car, I would not trust Otho to not eat my pizza while taking a piss, I would not pick a fight with Carcalla and Commodus would not be entrusted with anything that could be sold or broken.

Zudgemud fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 26, 2020

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Are we sure that Vespasian didn't intimidate senators by taking a poo poo in front of them, tell his tailor his clothes needed more room for his dick, or terrify the passengers of his boat-chariot by driving it into the Tiber?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah the Europeans were a fairly minor push factor on an already tottering and decaying empire. The Qing might've lasted longer without that, but the rot was well in place before Europeans showed up in force. Would've been interesting to see what replaced the Qing without that external threat though. A new monarchy, the CCP again, the republic?

Tbf platt (i think it was him at least) argues in one of his books that the drain on the Qing's silver bullion from trade with europe was a major factor in the collapse of its internal economy

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

chippocrates posted:

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/smallpox-virus-ancient-dna-teeth-vikings-europeans

they did have smallpox apparently

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The gooniest looking is Nero, shocking no one. Marcus Aurelius is the one who looks most like my platonic ideal of a monarch. The sexiest is a tie between Hadrian and Maximinus Thrax, but Hadrian is definitely who I'd date.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Fuligin posted:

Tbf platt (i think it was him at least) argues in one of his books that the drain on the Qing's silver bullion from trade with europe was a major factor in the collapse of its internal economy

That doesn't really jive with all the stories I've heard about European trade with China where silver kept going into the country from merchants buying but the Chinese wouldn't buy much, so none of that silver came back out. That was the whole point of opium, introducing something that the Chinese would buy.

Of course, an influx of way too much silver could devalue the currency and be damaging in its own way.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hadrian looks like a nerd with a bowl cut, I think he's tied with Nero for Gooniest Look.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The gooniest looking is Nero, shocking no one. Marcus Aurelius is the one who looks most like my platonic ideal of a monarch. The sexiest is a tie between Hadrian and Maximinus Thrax, but Hadrian is definitely who I'd date.

~*~max thrax~*~ looks handsome, nice, and charming, this is amazing. :allears:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Fuligin posted:

The Qing didn't pay out silver. Part of the motivation for selling opium was that Britain was tired of sending all its silver to China for tea, since the Chinese wouldn't accept anything else. Opium was very popular in China before the British (despite what official Chinese histories nowadays will tell you) so it was an easy thing to sell/trade for tea.

The Chinese insistence on silver as the core of the economy was a constant source of weakness, though. The devaluation of silver due to American mines was a huge destabilizing force on the Ming, and the requirement of converting actual everyday money to silver to pay taxes squeezed the peasantry at various times to cause huge revolts.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It also made the Qing aristocracy much less willing to intervene in the economic chaos in the agrarian heartland. The same silver deflation crisis that was bankrupting tens of millions of small farmers was making the Qing government ministers personally wealthy. Scapegoating foreigners and performative drug interdiction policies were much easier for the Qing elite than actually trying to solve the fundamental economic policies that were sending people into deaths of despair.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jul 26, 2020

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Arglebargle III posted:

It also made the Qing aristocracy much less willing to intervene in the economic chaos in the agrarian heartland. The same silver deflation crisis that was bankrupting tens of millions of small farmers was making the Qing government ministers personally wealthy.

I'm glad nothing in history ever has parallels to the modern world.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

too slow!

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Arglebargle III posted:

It also made the Qing aristocracy much less willing to intervene in the economic chaos in the agrarian heartland. The same silver deflation crisis that was bankrupting tens of millions of small farmers was making the Qing government ministers personally wealthy. Scapegoating foreigners and performative drug interdiction policies were much easier for the Qing elite than actually trying to solve the fundamental economic policies that were sending people into deaths of despair.

Yeah the internal policy discussions on what to do about the opium epidemic are fascinating

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I was going to guess Colm Meaney, but LBJ is better.

Half of them look like George Clooney.

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

Septimius Severus has that look you get when you’ve been doing boring work at the Senate and then you see your failsons doing the same stupid poo poo again.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Florianus looks like Jack Black

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Grand Fromage posted:

The Qing didn't pay out silver. Part of the motivation for selling opium was that Britain was tired of sending all its silver to China for tea, since the Chinese wouldn't accept anything else. Opium was very popular in China before the British (despite what official Chinese histories nowadays will tell you) so it was an easy thing to sell/trade for tea.

The Chinese insistence on silver as the core of the economy was a constant source of weakness, though. The devaluation of silver due to American mines was a huge destabilizing force on the Ming, and the requirement of converting actual everyday money to silver to pay taxes squeezed the peasantry at various times to cause huge revolts.

You got any book or article recommendations to know more about this (worldwide silver deflation)?

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!

Rockopolis posted:

I was going to guess Colm Meaney, but LBJ is better.

Missed opportunity not to have a DS9 episode where O'Brien becomes emperor of the ancient Rome planet.

And then is horribly tortured because it's O'Brien.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

GoutPatrol posted:

You got any book or article recommendations to know more about this (worldwide silver deflation)?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_revolution seems to discuss the broad topic if not much about China

My understanding is that the relative quantity of gold and silver in Europe greatly increased due to the massive influx from the New World as well as improved mining methods in Germany.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Epicurius posted:

Fun fact a lot of people don't know. Montezuma's descendants are still Spanish nobility today. The Duke of Moctezuma de Tultengo just got into a public argument with the President of Mexico last year after AMLO wrote a letter to Spain and the Vatican demanding they apologize for the Spanish conquest of Mexico.

Accurate, because this just blew my mind.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

All the native American talk got me thinking, is it possible native Americans had their own diseases they were immune from, but the diseases never spread to Europe since there weren't large numbers of migration from the Americas to Europe?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

downout posted:

All the native American talk got me thinking, is it possible native Americans had their own diseases they were immune from, but the diseases never spread to Europe since there weren't large numbers of migration from the Americas to Europe?

there's debate over whether syphilis was given to Europeans in the colombian exchange.

Aside from that a lot of tropical diseases in Africa hit Europeans worse, but since they were spread by warm weather vectors like mosquitoes or whatever they didn't really get back to Europe (but then they ended up getting spread to the americas with the slave trade).

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

downout posted:

It's thought syphilis comes from the Americas, but there's some debate about that. Otherwise not really, there weren't as many opportunities for diseases to emerge because Americans didn't have domestic animals in the same way as the old world. Syphilis spread all over the world quickly after American contact, so presumably if the Americans had their own smallpox that would have traveled too.

E: I personally think syphilis was American. The other idea is that it existed in the old world but for some reason nobody mentioned it, with the first recorded outbreak being in 1495. Seems real suspicious to me that no one would notice a horrific disease until, conveniently, just after Europeans started doing serious expeditions to the Americas.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jul 27, 2020

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nero and Otho met playing offensive tackle positions in gymnasium.

EDIT: I just realized the synchronicity of this post with my "NFL quarterback depicted as a Roman emperor" avatar.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 27, 2020

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Everything I know about Rome I learned from reading 1) I, Claudius 2) Claudius the God
Really two of the best books I've ever read

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Are we sure that Vespasian didn't intimidate senators by taking a poo poo in front of them, tell his tailor his clothes needed more room for his dick, or terrify the passengers of his boat-chariot by driving it into the Tiber?

Vespasian's horses "accidentally" drive his aqua-cart into the lake at his country estate and he says "Oh poo poo, I think I'm becoming a god"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Vitellius knows a guy who knows a guy who can fix your little problem.

Aemillian has been cast in the Mass Effect movie, and Elagabalus has strong opinions about the ethics of that and other casting decisions.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jul 27, 2020

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

downout posted:

There's some evidence that one of the epidemics that struck post-Aztec Mexico was some sort of local pandemic disease. Though it wasn't like they were immune to it
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocoliztli_epidemics

The general issue for the Native Americans was that the epidemics never stopped coming. Populations rebound surprisingly quickly from horrible events like brutal wars and epidemics, so long as they're reasonably quick. If you get hit with smallpox, then typhus, then influenza, and then tuberculosis sweeps the survivors, that's going to seriously decimate a few generations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

excellent bird guy posted:

Everything I know about Rome I learned from reading 1) I, Claudius 2) Claudius the God
Really two of the best books I've ever read

You should read Augustus by John Williams too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

downout posted:

A popular idea is that there weren't any (save maybe syphilis) because the Americas lacked the animals that plagues generally come from. Most every big plague disease comes from a domesticated animal like cows or pigs, or from the rats that plagued old world cities. Living in such close proximity to these animals for thousands of years both gave these diseases the time to adapt to infecting humans, and then the fleas did the rest of the work. The Americas on the other hand don't really have any domesticatable animals, save the Dog and Llama. The Llama is kinda limited to the Andes and Dogs aren't big disease vectors. So thats no Smallpox or TB from Cows, or Influenza from Pigs/Chickens. And not having Plague Rats obviously means no Bubonic Plague. So while the population of the Old World was stewing in a mass of diseased animals the Americas were denied the opportunity to live with a bunch of filthy livestock.