Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Part of my problem with the Brian/KJA books is that they’re basically all in service of setting up the goddamn robots so they can show up in the finale for Dune Proper. Even the House books that are lightest on it have all the Ixian thinking machine stuff bashing you over the head. It was bearable when I read them in high school and didn’t know where all the failson books were going but it really stands out now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
*taps forcefully on thread title*

Ahem

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
ULTRASPICE

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Remember how Star Wars nerds are so goddamned obsessive that they even gave this background nobody from Empire:

a fully fleshed out backstory?

The failson House XYZ trilogy is three novels' worth of exactly that kind of poo poo

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Murray Mantoinette posted:

Remember how Star Wars nerds are so goddamned obsessive that they even gave this background nobody from Empire:

a fully fleshed out backstory?

The failson House XYZ trilogy is three novels' worth of exactly that kind of poo poo

Lol they turned his beloved ice cream maker into some kind of valuables safe too iirc.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

vortmax posted:

ULTRASPICE

I literally laughed out loud when I read the wiki summaries of the failson books and got to that part

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
LORD CYBERTREX 9000 is an incredible joke to me because it can be read as the dumbass cyber trex or cyber t-rex and both are funny as gently caress

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Phlegmish posted:

So are the 'failson' books really bad, or is it just classic goon snobbery? Are there more examples of failing to grasp the point?

As someone who enjoys reading cheap schlock at times, including some of the failson books, it's not snobbery, they are indeed trash. Along with what everyone else has said they're filled with 2-dimensional characters who are obtuse and stupid in order to service the plot. I try to find something to enjoy in everything I read, and they're not completely worthless as long as you don't take them seriously or have any kind of expectations.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
They brought back every major character back as Gholas.
They had one named PAULO for fucks sake.

Remember how there was a Luke Skywalker clone and they just loving named him " Luuke"?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

priznat posted:

Lol they turned his beloved ice cream maker into some kind of valuables safe too iirc.

That was an amusing Easter egg in the Mandalorian, not some major plot point though

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The Bloop posted:

That was an amusing Easter egg in the Mandalorian, not some major plot point though

Oh that’s right, I recall that. Was it a reference to some wookiepedia weirdness though is the question..

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Remember how there was a Luke Skywalker clone and they just loving named him " Luuke"?

please do not compare the thrawn trilogy to @Duneauthor

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

FBS posted:

please do not compare the thrawn trilogy to @Duneauthor

Thrawn stuff was not KJA but Timothy Zahn who wrote much better stuff.

KJA brought us the dumb clones and yet another stupid superweapon. This one blows up stars!

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
It's Kralizec today and I'm 3,500

You know what that means... BRING IT IN GUYS!!!!

*every ghola of every character from every major house, original, prequel, or sequel novel comes in with everything for a HUGE battle*

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

It's Kralizec today and I'm 3,500

You know what that means... BRING IT IN GUYS!!!!

*every ghola of every character from every major house, original, prequel, or sequel novel comes in with everything for a HUGE battle*

Kralizec is the typhoon struggle, typhoon means "big wind" in Chinese. Screw gross protuberances, how does the god emperor fart?

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Frank Herbert, Dune posted:

He inhaled, smelling the rank sweetness. The odor was much richer around him than it had been.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

don't forget when KJA copied the "Luukke" or w/e storyline from star wars, almost pat, in dune with the whole Paolo thing

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Honestly the worst thing about the bad books is that neither man has never heard of "show, don't tell". It is just description after description, characters explaining motivations, shock reveals that contradict earlier passages, just tedious to read

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

yaffle posted:

Kralizec is the typhoon struggle, typhoon means "big wind" in Chinese. Screw gross protuberances, how does the god emperor fart?

He explicitly spends most of the time farting when in the desert with Siona

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

exmachina posted:

Honestly the worst thing about the bad books is that neither man has never heard of "show, don't tell". It is just description after description, characters explaining motivations, shock reveals that contradict earlier passages, just tedious to read

Contrast this with Frank's books where even someone's inner monologue might require you to read it over several times to actually get the full scope of their thoughts or concerns.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Thunder Moose posted:

Rereading for the 10th time at least - do they ever explain the shield wall? Is it literally a force-field wall? If so - worms don't go bananas because ________?

A shield is a type of geological formation, mostly very old rock that hasn't been hosed up by tectonic events and has eroded by other means over a long long time.

In the books it is like a plateau or a mesa with a massive depression in the center of it, forming a rock wall around arrakeen that worms, beefswoolen as they might get, can't go through.

Then Paul goes and plays neeneer neeneer I'm not nuking you I'm nuking the rock around you and destroys an irreplaceable natural wonder like the cock that he is.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Well after being resolved to stop at G-E I made the gin-based decision to see if I can finish the whole series during summer quarantine. We'll see what happens

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Heretics and chapterhouse are pretty fun imo

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Heretics is a straight-up fun book. Probably tied with God Emperor for my second favorite.
Chapterhouse doesn’t go anywhere and kills off the best character Odrade so it is low on the fun quotient.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Even disregarding the way of the knife, I kinda like the way that Chapterhouse Dune ends.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Remember that time the Skinny Baron raped Reverend Mother Helen Mohiam and to pay him back she gave him obesity with her magic pussy

Failson can't even do magic pussy right.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Don't forget that the Baron raped her because she was incapacitated. This goddess-like specimen of physical prowess and subtle observation was incapacitated because Piter hid behind the door as she came into a room a surprised-tasered her.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Oh and remember how the Old Duke was killed by a bull in the ring? And Frank makes several references to his showmanship and love of spectacle, so you'd think he just went a bit overboard showing off and zigged when he should have zagged?

Nope! Turns out a Harkonnen agent gave the bull some kind of bovine PCP right before the bullfight and that's why the Old Duke got got yes that's in the prequels my god I hate failson

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

[No @Duneauthor Zone] needs to be strictly and harshly enforced. This sort of posting is totally unacceptable.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Release the trailer then

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
They who control the trailer, control the megathread

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Don't forget that the Baron raped her because she was incapacitated. This goddess-like specimen of physical prowess and subtle observation was incapacitated because Piter hid behind the door as she came into a room a surprised-tasered her.

Like ... that is honestly the stupidest thing

Of all the dumb poo poo posted that he’s written that is the dumbest I think

It’s dumber than cybersex 3000

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Looks like Tenet is scheduled for release in US on Labor Day, 1 week after international release, just in time for the entire US economy to collapse. Hard for me to imagine Dune making December at this point but the longer they wait the more money they lose. Studio system is just sitting there with its head in the sand hoping the real world doesn't happen. The big budget blockbuster cinema of the last 20 years is on the verge of dying harder than the studio system collapse of the 70s literally overnight, there's just no way to reliably continue the model of trying for huge opening week box crowd returns, that financial model has breathed its last breath for years to come. atp studios and distributors are basically going to have to commit to scheduling film runs to extend out 6 months like back in the old days, and poo poo, might as well bring back drive-ins while they're at it. It's gonna get wild, they're gonna have to take way greater risks with content because the youth audience that's been lapping up PG13 marvel trash like candy will be too broke to even remotely bother with theaters.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 28, 2020

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The dune(s) are really the only major movie i care about seeing, ive got criterion channel and pluto and tubi are free so I have more than a lifetime of old and good movies to see. I just need to be duncd

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Is it ever explained who is hunting the Honored Matres, other than that they're former subjects of theirs? I thought it was linked to the Futars, but apparently those were created by the Bene Tleilax.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Isn't that a bit of a lie and they were basically overthrown by their subject populations? The main intimations are a) that b) the krazilek forces Leto and Muad'dib saw, or c) some sort of Bene Teliaxu off-shoot

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It's aliens

Set to re-unite humanity

But then Frank died

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
D U N E

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Looks like Tenet is scheduled for release in US on Labor Day, 1 week after international release, just in time for the entire US economy to collapse. Hard for me to imagine Dune making December at this point but the longer they wait the more money they lose. Studio system is just sitting there with its head in the sand hoping the real world doesn't happen. The big budget blockbuster cinema of the last 20 years is on the verge of dying harder than the studio system collapse of the 70s literally overnight, there's just no way to reliably continue the model of trying for huge opening week box crowd returns, that financial model has breathed its last breath for years to come. atp studios and distributors are basically going to have to commit to scheduling film runs to extend out 6 months like back in the old days, and poo poo, might as well bring back drive-ins while they're at it. It's gonna get wild, they're gonna have to take way greater risks with content because the youth audience that's been lapping up PG13 marvel trash like candy will be too broke to even remotely bother with theaters.

James Bond might flop. Like, that seems loving crazy to me. And super sad for a bunch of reasons. I was happy to see when we went to the cinema last week (in England) to a showing of Interstellar and a showing of The Dark Knight that both were more full than I'd have expected for reruns, let alone during lockdown, but y'know, my sample size of 'one cinema' isn't exactly indicative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Those movies suck.

All hail ⊃∪∩⊂