Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Terror Sweat posted:

I dont want some kid to go hungry because his dad said something racist online. There should be a better safety met before we start taking away livelihoods

is that actually a thing that has ever happened, or is this a pearl clutching hypothetical about PC madness?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
pro tip: if you have mouths to feed, try to avoid saying hateful poo poo that will get you fired, if that's a concern in your workplace

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

help, my children have milk cartons for shoes because i couldn't stop shouting racial slurs at the office

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

infernal machines posted:

pro tip: if you have mouths to feed, try to avoid saying hateful poo poo that will get you fired, if that's a concern in your workplace

Also don't say anything critical about Israel you antisemite

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

We should probably just make sure no kids go hungry, no matter how racist their dads are.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

odiv posted:

We should probably just make sure no kids go hungry, no matter how racist their dads are.

sure, absolutely. that's orthogonal to whatever the gently caress cancel culture nonsense people are afraid of

Terror Sweat posted:

Also don't say anything critical about Israel you antisemite

idk, we have city councillors here in toronto that have openly supported BDS and they still have their jobs, so i'm guessing that particular fear might be a little over exaggerated

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

perhaps, if you can't speak for fear of being criticized for what you say, you should reconsider what you're saying?

just a thought. i'm really having a hard time finding a fault here, because it seems like exactly the intended effect

This guy isn't even a chud or anything. I've known him a long time, he's not going to get cancelled. He's just some terminally liberal pod save listening type. His whole identity is wrapped up in middle of the road centrist liberalism. He is a Canadian excited for Biden. He's just the "mayo is too spicy" of politics. He simply cannot allow himself to believe one side is worse than the other because then he would have to treat politics like its more than watching sports.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Hey you’re all doing the right thing and road tripping this summer, right? It’s your civic duty, says Rick Mercer on behalf of the feds: https://youtu.be/vjnKm3GGnzg

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

jesus christ rick mercer got old

Virtual Russian posted:

He's just the "mayo is too spicy" of politics.

huh. he's right to be afraid, i mean what would he do in a world without :decorum:

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

huh. he's right to be afraid, i mean what would he do in a world without :decorum:

I mean, that is it. It's much easier to just believe everyone is equally right and wrong and that politics is just a fun hobby.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

idk, we have city councillors here in toronto that have openly supported BDS and they still have their jobs, so i'm guessing that particular fear might be a little over exaggerated

Depends where you live, there's some crazy poo poo surrounding anti-BDS in the states.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Arivia posted:

Hey you’re all doing the right thing and road tripping this summer, right? It’s your civic duty, says Rick Mercer on behalf of the feds: https://youtu.be/vjnKm3GGnzg

Going to be a wild ride if the second wave hits a few weeks after this video.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
hey everyone who has no job because of pandemic: travel and spend as much money as you would have if you had a a job, or else you are killing canada

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Terror Sweat posted:

I dont want some kid to go hungry because his dad said something racist online. There should be a better safety met before we start taking away livelihoods

hey maybe this will convince racist dipshits to stop being racist dipshits

lol im kidding, they'd still yell slurs at the poor sap on the other end of the EI phonecall

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

violent sex idiot posted:

hey everyone who has no job because of pandemic: travel and spend as much money as you would have if you had a a job, or else you are killing canada

Next week: Young people listened to me and now they are killing Canada.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://twitter.com/mapleservo/status/1287127064584155136?s=21

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

odiv posted:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

the whole thing about kids going hungry because their fascist dad got “cancelled” is a chud même youre all falling for. gently caress em and gently caress you

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

probably 95% of these people don’t even have kids or a gf and they would skin yours alive for the lulz

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i'm ok with fascism dads being cancelled. i mean we live in canada, everyone with kids gets a baby bonus. those kids are fed. maybe the kid will see their fascism dad as a failure and not try to follow in their footsteps

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Juul-Whip posted:

probably 95% of these people don’t even have kids or a gf and they would skin yours alive for the lulz

Have you ever seen someone skinned alive? I've seen a cartel vid and I don't think someone would do it for the lulz, it's pretty horrifying

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Terror Sweat posted:

Have you ever seen someone skinned alive? I've seen a cartel vid and I don't think someone would do it for the lulz, it's pretty horrifying

I've seen all the Hellraiser movies documentaries and can confirm that people are often skinned for lulz.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Juul-Whip posted:

the whole thing about kids going hungry because their fascist dad got “cancelled” is a chud même youre all falling for.

it is exactly that. no one's children are going hungry because they got cancelled for being a virulent dipshit. it's an absurd hypothetical people who want to be able to run their mouth at work bring up because suddenly there are maybe some minor consequences even for white men in the workplace.

i mean, how's shawn simoes doing these days? just fine, actually.

infernal machines has issued a correction as of 16:44 on Jul 26, 2020

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Even if that were a thing that actually happened, which it isn't, it still presumes that someone other than the chud should feel remorse about the consequences of his actions.

I heard that nonsense occasionally on the roadside, usually from some guy caught going double the speed limit through a school zone at three in the afternoon or whatever, launching into a sob story about problems he had long before he made the decision to maybe kill some strangers' kids. gently caress him for putting that on me.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

the only high profile “cancellation” I can remember involving a Canadian was the hockey player who got cut for sexist Instagram messages, but even then he was playing for an American team. I don’t think people are crazy for worrying that a private joke or political stance will get them fired (like that chick who gave Trump the finger), but it doesn’t really seem to be a problem in Canada where we don’t have “at will” employment.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:smithfrog:

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 05:05 on Jun 20, 2021

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Starks posted:

the only high profile “cancellation” I can remember involving a Canadian was the hockey player who got cut for sexist Instagram messages, but even then he was playing for an American team. I don’t think people are crazy for worrying that a private joke or political stance will get them fired (like that chick who gave Trump the finger), but it doesn’t really seem to be a problem in Canada where we don’t have “at will” employment.

Don Cherry got cancelled and it rules.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

flashy_mcflash posted:

now how is fabricland going to feed their children

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Starks posted:

jian ghomeshi

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Rutibex posted:

now how is fabricland going to feed their children

Federal Wage Subsidy.....federalwagesubsidy!

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

... good luck watching a Woody Allen movie without people giving you poo poo
I tried starting Manhattan Murder Mystery on Netflix last night and before the movie started, a voice came on and just berated me for 20 seconds.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

flakeloaf posted:

jian ghomeshi

Actually he has a podcast and gets published now

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

xtal posted:

I think both of those things were in the toilet basically as soon as they launched.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

xtal posted:

I mean, he's trying but he hasn't exactly been able to come back as a household name.

His first attempt at a comeback was hilariously bad podcast that was basically just him doing same thing he used to do on his intro bits on Q and he was roundly mocked for it. He's got some new thing now but it seemed to have been launched with intentional lack of fanfare.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

quote:

His next effort, the following year, involved an error-riddled personal essay in The New York Review of Books, part of a cover package on “The Fall of Men.” He downplayed the accusations of sexual assault and misconduct made by over 20 people, while assuring readers that women still reach out to him for sex.

Dig up, rapist.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
his new youtube thing is his attempt to establish himself as a media figure in the Iranian diaspora and 30 episodes in has all of 950 followers.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

That makes me happy, I hope he starves in the street.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
being famous must be a helluva drug

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

flashy_mcflash posted:

Sorry I didn't really articulate my post well, what I meant is there's lots of high-profile cases in the U.S. of non-famous or barely famous people getting fired for stuff they said or wrote outside of work, and these "cancel culture" articles are clearly preying on that fear, but afaik it's much harder to fire people for the same stuff in Canada. I assume that's why the Hydro One guy who harassed that reporter got rehired. Maybe that's a little naive, I should show my boss my "lust for boomer death" post to test my theory out.

On a side note, it's extremely telling that people like Cherry/LeDrew/Weiss have shown absolutely zero support for stricter labour laws despite seeing themselves as victims of draconic employers. Live by the sword die by the sword I guess

Starks has issued a correction as of 02:21 on Jul 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

Entropic posted:

I mean, he's trying but he hasn't exactly been able to come back as a household name.

His first attempt at a comeback was hilariously bad podcast that was basically just him doing same thing he used to do on his intro bits on Q and he was roundly mocked for it. He's got some new thing now but it seemed to have been launched with intentional lack of fanfare.

I can't muster sympathy for Ghomeshi but, drat, he was a top-flight interviewer. Q has not been anywhere near as good since Jian's cancellation.