Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Phoneposting, I wrote the post while travelling so I snapped the screen quickly before going out. That guy Publius is still an rear end in a top hat.

Beefeater1980 fucked around with this message at 06:28 on May 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I haven't played the game but I liked the post, weird screenshot or no. Probably the most interesting-seeming thing I have seen anyone post about Imperator.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Beefeater1980 posted:

Let me tell you about a horrible rear end in a top hat called Publius Cornelius Sophus, a man so bad that to counter his influence, a war was prolonged for three years and thousands of innocents were enslaved or killed.

Publius is the head of the Cornelii. He is seventy-eight years old, jealous, crafty, wracked with gout and until last month was consumed by the need to befriend a woman 55 years younger than him.

When he was 20 I put him in charge of Magna Graecia due to his high finesse and it not at the time being obvious that he was a colossal prick. I must have missed that he had somehow already secured the loyalty of an entire goddamned legion.

For fifty years, Publius managed Magna Graecia; scheming, plotting and, as I kept on blithely conquering the south of Italy, quietly becoming the wealthiest and most powerful man in Italy. Then his dad died, and he was suddenly head of the family.

At which point his loyalty plunged down to zero and he started plotting a civil war, prompting me to check his personal power ranking and promptly do a double take. The guy had, on his own, somehow acquired 30% of all power in the Republic, just over the threshold for civil war. Worse, he was arrogant, incorruptible, and so astonishingly disloyal that there was no way to bribe him into acquiescence so I could get him out of the governorship and fend off the civil war.

Although the last bits of Magna Graecia had already been conquered, I hadn’t signed the peace treaty yet. Since he was in his 70s I figured he couldn’t have that long left, so the next few years saw me frantically invading bits of Illyria to keep his relative power down while I waited for Publius to go off to the great senate in the sky. After all, he only had a health of 17%. How long could it take?

So I waited.

And waited.

Turns out, he had the constitution of an ox (maybe he recovered from the gout?) It ended up taking the better part of a decade to get rid of the tough old bastard, and by the end of it I was so sick of it that when Carthage immediately declared war and invaded, I just let them have Sardinia and ragequit. I guess Publius won in the end after all.

*has war flashback*

Something very similar to me happened with a different Cornelli with the exact same face and now I suddently feel like starting a game just so I can wipe out that family tree.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I think with games like this you need a lot of grounding in the game world and systems to really enjoy them. Once you have kind of learned the provinces and the families and the way a given country start usually plays out, it’s a lot more rewarding.

Like, I now know the major cities in Magna Graecia and roughly how much money to expect from them and so everything is a lot more...meaningful?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i have completed my quarterly analysis of the game based on posting patterns in thread and have concluded that it is almost nearly ready for purchase

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I think it's a drat shame that there's still no Enatic succession options, even if it's just for mods. It's a weird thing to have missing. Let me make Amazon Scythia drat it! :argh:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So is the game actually any fun now to play? Also does anyone have a good current tutorial to recommend?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Bumping this thread to say there's something incredibly endearing about the Bronze Age mod. It's clearly an enormous labour of love, with a ridiculously detailed map, custom unit graphics (featuring period-appropriate boar-tusk helmets!!), entire bespoke systems/UI widgets for technological development and pyramid building, and a political/cultural/religious set up that is necessarily a whole-cloth fabrication. It's a real pity that once you drill through all this what you find is the same-old Imperator gameplay loop, blob -> consolidate -> blob.

Like, look at this map. I cannot stop looking at this map.

Did you think Imperator's Greece had detail??

Seventeen territories in Rhodes!

The chonkiest Beqaa valley you have ever seen.

You ever wanted to agonise over which pass to take across the Sinai?!

e: a human being made this, on purpose

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 26, 2020

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Extremely my poo poo, thanks for the heads up

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Someday, someone will make my ideal paleolithic game.

Someday :smith:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Does that Bronze Age mod go much past eastern Mespotamia? I'm slightly concerned that someone decided to go all the way from Greece to the Indus at that scale. What the gently caress is it about map games that makes a man go province crazy.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Oh poo poo they actually released it? I kind of assumed all the Imperator mods died

Arrhythmia posted:

Someday, someone will make my ideal paleolithic game.

Someday :smith:

I'm curious to hear your thoughts about what this kind of game would be

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

RabidWeasel posted:

Does that Bronze Age mod go much past eastern Mespotamia? I'm slightly concerned that someone decided to go all the way from Greece to the Indus at that scale.

Currently it covers Greece (including Epirus, Macedonia, southern Thrace), the southern and Aegean coasts of Anatolia, Cyrenaica, Egypt, the Levant, upper and lower Mesopotamia and Elam. I haven’t been following it too closely but they’ve been building it out in stages over the past year or so. I think it launched with just Greece? The latest update was to add Mesopotamia. Interior Anatolia (the Hittite region) is up next.

RabidWeasel posted:

What the gently caress is it about map games that makes a man go province crazy.

As someone who’s done some map modding (and is currently still working on a CK2 TC with the release of 3 only months away lol), you can always find more detail to add to an area- there’s always a reason to split some province to represent some important political/economic/social/geographic boundary. Having to forgo detail to meet some province budget is always frustrating- you always feel forced into an ugly cludge.

I mean, almost always. I think this mod might be approaching some upper limit for province density. We’re about seven seconds away from giving each field its own province here.

Koramei posted:

Oh poo poo they actually released it? I kind of assumed all the Imperator mods died

It’s still a beta, I think. They very clearly haven’t done much work on events/missions/inventions etc.

Koramei posted:

Surely some sort of village survival thing a la Banished.

Wait, is that not what Dawn of Man is?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

that is exactly what dawn of man is

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Dawn of Man's paleolithic stuff is just a shoehorned in nomadic start I thought. Isn't it almost entirely neolithic and later? I think a paleolithic game where you lead a band and go on adventures could do some justice to the setting but I don't think it would fit a strategy game that well.

Also Dawn of Man suffers from them setting it in damp, dreary Europe where your villagers are lily white and covered in mud. A near eastern setting would have been so much more evocative imo.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

As someone who’s done some map modding (and is currently still working on a CK2 TC with the release of 3 only months away lol), you can always find more detail to add to an area- there’s always a reason to split some province to represent some important political/economic/social/geographic boundary. Having to forgo detail to meet some province budget is always frustrating- you always feel forced into an ugly cludge.

I mean, almost always. I think this mod might be approaching some upper limit for province density. We’re about seven seconds away from giving each field its own province here.

May as well just go the Total War route at this point, just with a much more granular level of detail than any of those games ever had.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
The Bronze Age Mod is Imperator at it's finest imo. It's not an especially high bar given the base game, but still congratulations to the team.

What it really excels at is giving you the impression of actually starting your nation from scratch. Like, look at these guys:

Their entire civilization is a tiny river valley in Anatolia. Take these guys and go build a great empire, adopt writing or something!

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Frionnel posted:

The Bronze Age Mod is Imperator at it's finest imo. It's not an especially high bar given the base game, but still congratulations to the team.

What it really excels at is giving you the impression of actually starting your nation from scratch. Like, look at these guys:

Their entire civilization is a tiny river valley in Anatolia. Take these guys and go build a great empire, adopt writing or something!

This is something that I find really captivating about early human history, honestly. It's the same planet, but a few thousand years ago the perception of it would have been vastly different. Germany is all carefully managed and industrialised and built up and mapped in the present day. But if you were some near easterner stood at the border of present-day Germany in the bronze age you'd just be standing in a completely unknown expanse of forest, and your cultural perception of it would be, "this is the border of the known world, and this forest may as well go on forever, and there is no human way for me to understand what this space even is". And now we can just look at a map of it and know that Hamburg is here, and the black forest is there, and so on.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Red Bones posted:

This is something that I find really captivating about early human history, honestly. It's the same planet, but a few thousand years ago the perception of it would have been vastly different. Germany is all carefully managed and industrialised and built up and mapped in the present day. But if you were some near easterner stood at the border of present-day Germany in the bronze age you'd just be standing in a completely unknown expanse of forest, and your cultural perception of it would be, "this is the border of the known world, and this forest may as well go on forever, and there is no human way for me to understand what this space even is". And now we can just look at a map of it and know that Hamburg is here, and the black forest is there, and so on.

To blow your mind even more, before Neanderthals got wiped out there were 2 different humanities living at the same time for awhile.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Koramei posted:

Doesn't the Civilization 4 mod Caveman 2 Cosmos kind of do this?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

MegaZeroX posted:

Doesn't the Civilization 4 mod Caveman 2 Cosmos kind of do this?

I like to think of that as scope creep: the game.

I'd love to play a Bronze Age game where you start as an existing power close to the bronze age collapse and your objective is to basically lose the least so you can become the dominant power of the new Iron Age.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I think Old World aims to please you all. Old World is about tribes becoming civilizations, Imperator is about specific couple of centuries of human history, I guess.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Oh cool, I hadn't heard of that, it looks completely like my thing.

ganglysumbia
Jan 29, 2005
It’s a drat Epic exclusive.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

oh no, not epic

ganglysumbia
Jan 29, 2005
It starts with Epic, but where does it end...?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
I glance at this thread once in a while and one of the things I often see is people complaining about the game, but i'm not quite sure i see what the problem is. Keep in mind the only other Paradox game i've played is Hearts of Iron II & 4 and then again briefly.

I have a few hundred hours with this one, mostly playing Rome and I find it interesting enough. And that's when I played it a few patches ago, so I'm not up to date on current affairs. So what is it that makes the game so bad, and is it just in comparison with their other games or is the game flawed on its own?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Old World is very early access. It feels rather feature-light, and they're still fleshing out the basic feature set in their weekly patches. But right now my biggest issue with Old World isn't even with the game itself, it's the fact that they are not running a message board and are instead basing their community entirely within Discord. They just added mod support, but how do they expect a mod community to grow and flourish without providing a decent home for that community? The game isn't popular enough to generate thriving third-party fan sites. I would also like a place I could visit to see the developer's thoughts on the game's design and their intended direction for the game going forward, and a discord server seems like a bad place for that. At least run a blog or something with dev diaries. It's just a weird decision that I feel like is going to end up biting them in the rear end in some non-obvious ways. Right now the development process seems opaque and detached from the playerbase. I've checked out and am just peeking at the updates every couple months or so to see what's happening.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

ganglysumbia posted:

It’s a drat Epic exclusive.

Good.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Dalael posted:

I glance at this thread once in a while and one of the things I often see is people complaining about the game, but i'm not quite sure i see what the problem is. Keep in mind the only other Paradox game i've played is Hearts of Iron II & 4 and then again briefly.

I have a few hundred hours with this one, mostly playing Rome and I find it interesting enough. And that's when I played it a few patches ago, so I'm not up to date on current affairs. So what is it that makes the game so bad, and is it just in comparison with their other games or is the game flawed on its own?

The game is a weird case of the original design spec being for essentially a different game to what the existing Paradox playerbase wanted to see and both sides being really stubborn about it:

Johan Imperator: Hellenistic era themed wargame with some light economic and government management elements where the objective is to try to make a massive empire as quickly as possible without it collapsing. With the exception of the map, not far from being a direct port of a 10 year old game, and bizarrely half assed considering the scope of all of Paradox's modern games.

Playerbase-imagined Imperator: a much heavier blend between EU and CK2 where the politics and culture of your state are critically important; a game where you build a civilisation, not just an empire, and managing conquered territories is difficult but rewarding.

So 1.0 happened, sold great based purely on imagined hype, then it got poo poo reviews because the game was more or less strictly worse than EU4 in every way (perhaps an unfair comparison but a reasonable one as a consumer) and the core playerbase for Paradox games in general hated it. The 1.1 update was clearly stuff that should have been in the release by most standards (like having more than one type of ship) which if anything made people more pissed off.

It's also really important to note that the game just felt like it didn't learn any lessons from Paradox's games from the past decade, especially when it comes to the UI/UX which had a ton of baffling oversights many of which are still around. Now it seems based on interviews with the devs that they spent a lot of time and effort during development building up an enhanced engine for the game which made it run better and made it easier for future development for Imperator and Paradox's future titles, but the playerbase doesn't get to see that effort directly; they just get to see what looks like a port of an unpopular game from a decade ago with a pretty map and a few new mechanics patched onto it to make it look better.

Since then the releases have gradually moved the game further away from being a tactical war-centric game, where keeping armies in the field and revolts down is most of the gameplay, towards the imagined "civilisation builder", and I'm pretty sure that the current project lead specifically used that term to describe where he wants the game to go, but it definitely isn't there yet.

So yeah the game isn't too bad right now but there's a lot of lingering resentment, there hasn't been a major patch since the end of March and no dev diaries for 6 weeks, and there's still tons of really bad mechanics; cultural assimilation still works like everyone is the Borg, the trade UI/UX is awful even if you don't mind how trade works, the war AI is absolute crap, religion still isn't very satisfying in spite of having just got a major rework, etc.

I'm still hopeful because so far every patch has been better than the previous one and the trade, culture and pop changes in 1.5 sound like they will be an entirely new game, but I have to admit that I have barely played 1.4 with the UX being a major contributor towards that.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 28, 2020

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

RabidWeasel posted:

The game is a weird case of the original design spec being for essentially a different game to what the existing Paradox playerbase wanted to see and both sides being really stubborn about it:

Johan Imperator: Hellenistic era themed wargame with some light economic and government management elements where the objective is to try to make a massive empire as quickly as possible without it collapsing. With the exception of the map, not far from being a direct port of a 10 year old game, and bizarrely half assed considering the scope of all of Paradox's modern games.

Playerbase-imagined Imperator: a much heavier blend between EU and CK2 where the politics and culture of your state are critically important; a game where you build a civilisation, not just an empire, and managing conquered territories is difficult but rewarding.

So 1.0 happened, sold great based purely on imagined hype, then it got poo poo reviews because the game was more or less strictly worse than EU4 in every way (perhaps an unfair comparison but a reasonable one as a consumer) and the core playerbase for Paradox games in general hated it. The 1.1 update was clearly stuff that should have been in the release by most standards (like having more than one type of ship) which if anything made people more pissed off.

It's also really important to note that the game just felt like it didn't learn any lessons from Paradox's games from the past decade, especially when it comes to the UI/UX which had a ton of baffling oversights many of which are still around. Now it seems based on interviews with the devs that they spent a lot of time and effort during development building up an enhanced engine for the game which made it run better and made it easier for future development for Imperator and Paradox's future titles, but the playerbase doesn't get to see that effort directly; they just get to see what looks like a port of an unpopular game from a decade ago with a pretty map and a few new mechanics patched onto it to make it look better.

Since then the releases have gradually moved the game further away from being a tactical war-centric game, where keeping armies in the field and revolts down is most of the gameplay, towards the imagined "civilisation builder", and I'm pretty sure that the current project lead specifically used that term to describe where he wants the game to go, but it definitely isn't there yet.

So yeah the game isn't too bad right now but there's a lot of lingering resentment, there hasn't been a major patch since the end of March and no dev diaries for 6 weeks, and there's still tons of really bad mechanics; cultural assimilation still works like everyone is the Borg, the trade UI/UX is awful even if you don't mind how trade works, the war AI is absolute crap, religion still isn't very satisfying in spite of having just got a major rework, etc.

I'm still hopeful because so far every patch has been better than the previous one and the trade, culture and pop changes in 1.5 sound like they will be an entirely new game, but I have to admit that I have barely played 1.4 with the UX being a major contributor towards that.

I think this is p fair although i think the religious rework was completely dope as hell. I also personally think the UI is fine to good at this point, although it was certainly so bad as to be hard to look at in 1.0. I'm excited for menander and haven't played Imp much recently, but that's more because game releases these days are a loving firehose and I'm just trying to keep up.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

The communication for Imperator is what really soured me on it too. The idea they had that it was their best, most content filled release yet, whereas it didn't even have MP chat (or, really, functional MP at all) on release, let alone a macrobuilder. Reasons given were that they started from the EU: Rome codebase and worked from there, which again, is just baffling?

Ironically I do think with mods it could end up being great, but that's because of the modder's effort at the end of the day, unfortunately.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Originally you had to click repeatedly to move and convert individual pops throughout your empire. That's enough to drive anyone mad if they're trying to interface with the civil side of things.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Originally you had to click repeatedly to move and convert individual pops throughout your empire. That's enough to drive anyone mad if they're trying to interface with the civil side of things.

It blows my brainhole that 1.0 got through QA/betas without people flagging like... every part of its design. This might have been the single worst part though

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I still maintain that generals gaining the loyalty of the legions under their command is a loving fantastic anti-doomstack measure, and is the one thing from 1.0 that I think absolutely still works. That one can stay.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Fuligin posted:

I think this is p fair although i think the religious rework was completely dope as hell. I also personally think the UI is fine to good at this point, although it was certainly so bad as to be hard to look at in 1.0. I'm excited for menander and haven't played Imp much recently, but that's more because game releases these days are a loving firehose and I'm just trying to keep up.

The religion rework feels very much to me like most of the additions to EU4 in the past couple of years; a few buttons to press and lots of stuff which sounds cool but doesn't really do much in terms of changing how you play the game. It also had some incredibly broken stuff in 1.4 (such as being able to get free provincial improvements) though possibly that got fixed, as I said I haven't played much.

Until they finally admit that having every individual territory with its own buildings is an awful idea and I still need to manage 10 billion trade requests a second in order to play efficiently I'm going to continue to complain about the UX but yes there have been a lot of improvements and 1.5 looks to make the culture mapmode much more useful which is nice.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Building shrines that exist on map and stocking them with artifacts and customizing your pantheon is cool as heck imo

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I really want the trade system to be reworked to be more simulationist so that its less micro intensive and more something that you steer rather than direct

basically do for trade what they did for pops

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I swear at one point they said everything would be at the state level like Victoria and I wish that had been real instead of something I imagined

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

This is still how it works in Stellaris for some reason. And the list sorts the pops you want to move to the bottom of the list always, so you also get to do lots of scrolling