Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Actually, isn't he the still the only one we know of (other than half of B'Elanna Torres)?
I imagine they don't get a lot of intake, Worf had kind of a complex backstory. Like I'm sure there are some renegade or non-military Klingons who just go around and open Klingon restaurants or the like. But Worf was Definitely 100% Klingon, Born In Klingon Space, and I think even if the whole house of Mogh thing was maybe not fully understood, he was definitely a Klingon patrician of some kind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Eighty-EIGHT? Jfc I'm :corsair:.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I have a handful of episodes left of my Voyager rewatch and I might have to change my take a little bit. I think there might be almost two seasons worth of good episodes instead of one.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
The opening to Impulse in season 3 of ENT was loving hilarious. T'Pol screaming, thrashing, yelling conspiracy theorioes as she's restrained to a bio bed in sickbay, then she screams as loud as humanly possible, and it HARD CUTS to "it's been a loooong roaad~..."

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Are you sure that’s better than a few episodes earlier with Extinction, where a guy gets loving blow torched to death while screaming in agony and then smash cuts to “ITS BEEN A LOOONG ROAD...”

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

*Earth is exploded by the Xindi weapon*

It's been a long road...

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Lol someone should do a youtube of all the good (bad) ones.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
Does that include the 10 second one where Travis reads a book, gets called to the bridge and then the credits kick in?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Zaroff posted:

Does that include the 10 second one where Travis reads a book, gets called to the bridge and then the credits kick in?

If anything that's more in the spirit of Trek than all the rest

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Yeah, it's loving awful not just because of the song, but also because it really does just smash cut into it without skipping a beat. Every other Trek intro has a slow buildup but Enterprise just cannot wait to smash that Adult Contemporary Soft Rock button.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Which is a shame because the original theme song was actually quite good.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

HD DAD posted:

Which is a shame because the original theme song was actually quite good.

Archer's Theme? It's okay but it's a bit anemic for my taste and still has that dated soft rock guitar accompaniment in the back half. I've said it before, but they really should have just reused the score from Generations. This video is a couple little timing fixes away from being a really solid intro and that score does so much more to sell the "pioneering early days of space" nature of the visuals than Faith of The loving Heart:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOK_NCM0kko

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

This is still the best alternate theme for Enterprise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P4IlgtwHmA

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I liked Archer's Theme. My only real disappointment with the Enterprise intro though, is that we never got this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNgbZMEr8FA

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Epicurius posted:

I liked Archer's Theme. My only real disappointment with the Enterprise intro though, is that we never got this:

loving lmao holy poo poo

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Epicurius posted:

oh my GOD lmao

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Lol someone should do a youtube of all the good (bad) ones.

I saw one once, I think it got dmcaed

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Epicurius posted:

ohhhh so this is what conservative Star Trek fans see

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Epicurius posted:

:perfect:
The timing on certain lyrics + visuals is astounding

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Shran: Archer, someone's been killing Andorians! You have to help us!

Archer: I've got a hunch this might be another Andorian doing this. Either way, someone's definitely going to be... <puts on sunglasses> ...feeling blue.

IT'S BEEN A LONG ROAD

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Voyager rewatch log
S7 e6 Inside Man
Seriously skippable filler episode, even with the guest stars and the Ferengi.

Also, Doc, that guy was on the ship for like two days. You can spend two days in sickbay while he wanders around.

S7 Body and Soul
It's a Seven episode! It's a Doctor episode! It's a Doctor-in-Seven episode! (Not like that... Well, a little like that. But only a little)
Jeri Ryan's impression of the Doctor is great and she sells the hell out of eating cheesecake for the first time.

E10 Shattered
Probably the most fun series retrospective I've seen. I liked Kate Mulgrew's pre-launch Janeway's reaction to the seven years of horror she was about to put everyone through.

E13 Prophecy
"What's it like running the show while Rick and Brannon are gone for a month?"
"We're doing a Klingon episode! Neelix fucks! B'Elanna's baby is the chosen one!"
"... Ehh, not the worst idea I've heard for a Trek script. Let me know how I can help."

E13 The Void
It's not bad. Janeway holds true to the Federation ideals she believes in (when she's not overriding the medical decisions of her crew) and everything works out.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/levarburton/status/1287492995353255937?s=19

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Hello everyone, I’m watching TOS for the first time and it’s real good.

This post isn’t interesting and I apologize for that

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

sponges posted:

IPDIPC, my friend. Infinite Posting Diversity in Infinite Posting Combinations.

Have you had any favorite stories yet?

My own big TOS impression has been that the pop culture vision of Kirk is actually really bad, and the entire thing is in a way like a selection of mid-century American theatrical performance - in a good way!

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
Star Trek Enterprise Season 3 Episode 16: "Doctor's Orders" - A Summary.

[see summary for star trek voyager season 4 episode 25 "one" but find/replace "seven" with "doctor phlox"]

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah that was pretty egregious. Though gently caress it, I like both.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I am also trying to get through TOS in fits and starts. I don't think it is all that great.

Most of the early episodes are pretty boring. I like The Naked Time and The Enemy Within for their schlock though.

Menagerie has some interesting stuff, but it's just a shell around the pilot, stretching it out over two episodes?

I feel like Shatner has a few moments, but I am being very forgiving. I have yet to see any evidence for his supposed overlooked genius though.

It's funny, but because the progressiveness of the show has been talked up so much the instances of misogyny, dated stuff and Roddenberry pervyness sticks out even more. It especially sucks whenever Spock breaks character to say something inappropriate to a lady.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 26, 2020

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

So how much of Geordi's awkwardness with women was Burton's printer-carrying nature coming through?

I love the guy but that tweet could trigger an Oof Alert in Spacedock

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

sponges posted:

TOSposting is always welcome friend.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

thotsky posted:

It's funny, but because the progressiveness of the show has been talked up so much the instances of misogyny, dated stuff and Roddenberry pervyness sticks out even more. It especially sucks whenever Spock breaks character to say something inappropriate to a lady.

The show is 54 years old. It was fairly progressive for the day, but obviously it's going to look bad now.

Don't watch any old James Bond, he's basically a serial rapist.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

thotsky posted:

Menagerie has some interesting stuff, but it's just a shell around the pilot, stretching it out over two episodes?

Sure, but the pilot wasn't aired back then, and in fact the first time it saw general release was in the late 80s.

Did you start with The Cage? It's really not the best place to start IMO.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Of course its progressive nature doesn't hold up to today's standards, it's crazy to think that it would. You've got to look at the show in the context of its time—when Pike says that he'll never get used to having a woman on the bridge, that's cringeworthy today. But at the time it was speaking directly to men who were having to adjust to the growing presence of women in the workforce and were confronted with similar attitudes in their own offices. But then you get to watch Number One go on and crush it for the rest of the episode and show that treating women like equals in the workplace is the way toward progress. It didn't get it perfect, but for its moment it was sending the right message to the audience who was viewing it.

Sure, there's some stuff that was regressive even for its moment—but you can say the same thing about any Trek show, including the ones that are airing right now.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Most of the people who took pains to talk up its progressiveness were in the late 80s-early 90s when I think the distinction was less clear.

As for Shatner I'm not sure I'd call him an overlooked genius, but Kirk in the actual show is not like Movie-Era/memetic Kirk much at all.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

thotsky posted:

I am also trying to get through TOS in fits and starts. I don't think it is all that great.

Most of the early episodes are pretty boring. I like The Naked Time and The Enemy Within for their schlock though.

I feel like Shatner has a few moments, but I am being very forgiving. I have yet to see any evidence for his supposed overlooked genius though.

There's a particular Spock moment early on that's especially egregious: chuckling over Rand's attempted rape at the end of The Enemy Within. I think it's an excellent episode, with a lot of good philosophical stuff about humanity. But that moment is honestly one of the worst of the entire series, and I say that as a fan of TOS.

One really good Shatner moment comes much later than you seem to be in your watch/rewatch: the "risk is our business" speech in Return To Tomorrow (an otherwise fairly mediocre episode). He's also great in City on the Edge of Forever. It's season three where the MST3K-like Shatner moments really start.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Nessus posted:

Most of the people who took pains to talk up its progressiveness were in the late 80s-early 90s when I think the distinction was less clear.

As for Shatner I'm not sure I'd call him an overlooked genius, but Kirk in the actual show is not like Movie-Era/memetic Kirk much at all.

Yeah, Kirk Drift is a thing and it's pretty annoying.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

thotsky posted:

It's not really great, which is the problem with Star Trek, people tend to have rose-coloured glasses and talk it up into this amazing thing.
It's an old TV show, with some charming actors. It's much more theatrical that modern TV, and sometimes has some interesting concepts. If you're into the production side at all it's great to watch the props, laugh at the mirrored light shone onto Kirk's face during "intense" shots, and enjoy the switch in and out of soft focus during a conversation between a man and a woman. It's generally a hopeful show too, even if it does clumsily trip over its own feet with the sexism.
There are a handful of actually good episodes, my personal favourite is The City on the Edge of Forever, but they're not all winners, and some are just a white noise plot, some fisticuffs, then flying away.

The misogyny actually lead to a real world conversation - there was some comment Kirk made about one of the women would leave the crew once she got married. It blew my friend's mind when I explained that until fairly recently women in many jobs (including the public service) were required to leave their job once they got married. Acknowledging that misogyny exists in many forms is something that old Star Trek is still achieving.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lemniscate Blue posted:

That article ignores the numerous examples of kirk's male gaze (and the soft-focus lens they use to indicate his infatuation)

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Lemniscate Blue posted:

This article/blog is excellent. The popular notion of Kirk as a womanizer who charges into situations is a major pet peeve of mine. It's not only untrue but contradicted by a lot of situations in the original where Kirk used diplomacy and cunning instead of "drat the torpedoes, full speed ahead" to solve a problem. Just because he's not necessarily as philosophically deep as Picard doesn't mean he's a hothead.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Ah, it has a name. I keep waiting for Kirk to become this reckless sex crazed buffoon.

Anyway, the writing from what I’ve seen so far is pretty solid. I love the chintzy sets, the old school practical effects and the general silliness. This show is alotta fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I was pretty disturbed in the few episodes that Yeoman Rand is in how there are two episodes pretty close together where she gets sexually assaulted. It's also played for laughs one of those times.