Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

I see these videos and photos once in a while, and it looks like a middle section without an adjacent section built getting blown over. The string needs to be complete and end section needs to be in place and the foundation cured for it to not fall over in heavy wind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Does she still have fingers after this?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

eggyolk posted:

Does she still have fingers after this?

Hand carts typically have a brace on the back that means that when it's lying down, the handle is comfortably off the ground. On this one it's the legs about two-thirds of the way up.

It's made that way so that you can wrap your fingers around the handle and pick it up after loading it, but it also seems like it helps save your fingers in this case too.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Jabor posted:

Hand carts typically have a brace on the back that means that when it's lying down, the handle is comfortably off the ground. On this one it's the legs about two-thirds of the way up.

It's made that way so that you can wrap your fingers around the handle and pick it up after loading it, but it also seems like it helps save your fingers in this case too.

The legs that were already massively bent off angle before this particular incident?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

the cop in that car admitted he was looking at his phone instead of the road. he was suspended with pay while they conducted "an investigation" but not charged with anything.

i'm sure the same standard would apply if a random citizen ran over a bicycle cop waiting at the intersection. lmao

The answer is probably yes!

The vast majority of time a car hitting a cyclist, even killing the cyclist, is seen as a pure accident an no action is taken.

On the flip side a cyclist hitting a pedestrian, even when the pedestrian stepped out in front of them often sees the cyclist jailed.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

The 3000 mile oil change is an anachronism that dates back to garbage us cars built in the 70s and 80s. Everything built in the last 10-20 years or so has a service interval of 5-10k that I've seen.

Also, the windshield thing depends on the state. In Florida, every auto policy must fix windshield chips and cracks free of deductible. So you don't see cracked windows often unless the car is a $500 beater that barely runs anyways. its different elsewhere.

Still sounds like the US needs to do a bit of work, my Golf and Cactus both have a service intervals of 20,000 miles

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Aramoro posted:

Still sounds like the US needs to do a bit of work, my Golf and Cactus both have a service intervals of 20,000 miles

They keep them as low as 10k to allow dealerships to make money off of service because they make more off of that than on actual new car sales.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Should be mandatory for all bikes IMO

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/BzludCQ.gifv

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Most suicide machines aren't mobile so that's pretty impressive.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah, that should do a really good job of popping his head right off his torso.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Der Shovel posted:

Most suicide machines aren't mobile so that's pretty impressive.

It looks like it’s just tied bamboo, so it should lose basically all its structure in an impact.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It looks like it’s just tied bamboo, so it should lose basically all its structure in an impact.

Like all that scaffolding that's used in Asia? Those seem pretty sturdy to me.

I still think even a light sideswipe of that thing from a car will snap his neck.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

look, not everyone can afford to build their own custom rollercoaster and folks just have to make due with the materials they have on hand

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Proteus Jones posted:

Like all that scaffolding that's used in Asia? Those seem pretty sturdy to me.

I still think even a light sideswipe of that thing from a car will snap his neck.

Unless he's got some weird congenital bone wasting illness it's more likely he will fall off his bike.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

You're right all, it's perfectly safe.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/iTiki87.mp4

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLE9v0yd_vo

(155 km/h = 96mph)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah but I wouldn't like to test that theory with my teeth, neck, face etc like that guy is going to if the edge of that cage collides with something solid.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The accident investigators are gonna be really confused when it comes to parsing the skidmarks at the scene

edit: Maybe not. The motorcycle didn't even stop lol.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The accident investigators are gonna be really confused when it comes to parsing the skidmarks at the scene

edit: Maybe not. The motorcycle didn't even stop lol.

I'm sure the person on the motorycle's got some skid marks in their underwear.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

This is avoidable by simultaneously squatting over the rear tire

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
He also probably could have gotten through without even slowing down if he veered to go behind the car, though I don't blame him for not realizing that in the moment.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/Zv16Lc7.mp4

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Got a twofer, thanks, Imgur.

https://i.imgur.com/0B1LzaW.mp4

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Someone didn't do their S turns to make sure the runway was clear.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

I’ve done that before on my mountain bike right in the middle of town lol

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

I love how he's trying to make a statement, but then completely 180s it by going helmetless.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

WarpedNaba posted:

I love how he's trying to make a statement, but then completely 180s it by going helmetless.

Why would anyone wear a helmet in a car?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

the fart question posted:

I’ve done that before on my mountain bike right in the middle of town lol

As have I.

College, biking home on a narrow downhill street, so going relatively fast. Emergency vehicle comes up behind me blaring lights and sirens, so I quickly pull as far as I can to the right. Unfortunately, there's a parked car there, so rather than plow into it, I jam on the brakes as hard as I can. Fly over the handlebars and land on my back. Skid forward another few feet, completely shredding the backpack I had on. Was lucky it wasn't my back.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

SLOSifl posted:

Why would anyone wear a helmet in a car?

Seatbeltless, then.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

I think the statement is 'dont get loving close to me'

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/rXzFLNb.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/iiaeqob.mp4

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

The happiest little mixer. He just wants to dance!

Hardon Crime
Jan 15, 2020

hubba hubba hubba hubba

and the 1990s, i rode chairlifts like that at a young age then

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/HZWCFnY.gifv

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Hardon Crime posted:

and the 1990s, i rode chairlifts like that at a young age then
I'm sure there's still chairlifts like that in use today. I rode a similar one the last time I went skiing, in 2006.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

*confused George Carlin checking his notes* "Why do we... park in the driveway... and fly.. on the highway?"