Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

pospysyl posted:

Excited for dominoes to overtake roll & writes as the dominant board game trend.

2022: legacy dominos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Gonna disagree with the thread here: 46 is a decent intro game if you're bootstrapping yourself into 18xx because it captures the overall game flow, the feel of the genre, and it doesn't have the entire game depend on the completely hosed up and counterintuitive waterfall auction. GMT's printing is also good for new players because it actually has the well actually rules printed on the board (e.g. double/triple jumps, full/half pay, etc).

1830 is probably better if you have people who have played a little bit of 18xx already but it's really tough for an unmoved mover. My path was 1846 -> 1830 -> 1857 -> Everything else

I like 1846 but if you want a path to other 18XX it seems like there are better intro games that have fewer unique rules. I don't care about other 18XX games so I'm content to enjoy 1846 for what it is.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Countblanc posted:

2022: legacy dominos

The Kickstarter exclusive is a bottle of superglue

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Mighty Eris posted:

The latter - rulebook says that when you have no more legal moves, “He then removes his penguins from the game board and adds the ice floes they occupied to his collection.”

To be extra explicit, this is not a move. The instant a penguin is surrounded by water you remove the penguin and collect the tile. It does not take a turn to do this.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

garthoneeye posted:

I’m really hoping that turns out fun. I’m a big fan of Kramer, but his last few that I’ve played have been disappointing.

Reworld was such a letdown. It had a very interesting premise too, but after a couple games we found out there definitely were easy optimal solutions and it just stopped being interesting. But I'm always hopeful for these kind of designs.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

CommonShore posted:

Gonna disagree with the thread here: 46 is a decent intro game if you're bootstrapping yourself into 18xx because it captures the overall game flow, the feel of the genre, and it doesn't have the entire game depend on the completely hosed up and counterintuitive waterfall auction. GMT's printing is also good for new players because it actually has the well actually rules printed on the board (e.g. double/triple jumps, full/half pay, etc).

1830 is probably better if you have people who have played a little bit of 18xx already but it's really tough for an unmoved mover. My path was 1846 -> 1830 -> 1857 -> Everything else

Where did you get a copy of 1857???

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
I've also taught Concordia to players whose only previous experience had been Carcassonne and Dominion. Pretty easy to teach.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I enjoy games that make use of micro turns. So much easier to teach and quicker to play than games where you have a list of things to do on each turn.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

CommonShore posted:

I think the real answer is any 18xx you can get people to play is the best one, any discussion is just theorycrafting optimal engagement. I played 1846 my first time and it definitely intrigued me enough to get me to play more. Now, as a more experienced 18xx player i don't like 1846 as much (it's fine, better than nothing which is more than i can say for 18lilliput), but I've also seen people start with 1862, 1849, alongside the typical 1830/1889/1846. If people like the style of game they'll probably like it no matter what.

I mean unless you mercilessly crush them, or are lovely or whatever. That's not really the game's fault. On this topic, I played a teaching game of 18Chessie (on 18xx.games) with 2 new players and 3 vets last night and dang one of the newer players picked the game faster than I've ever seen and is already asking some pretty pointed questions about strategy in our group chat. It's very :3: feeling to indoctrinate a new player into the cult

I hope that the incremental capitalization framework that 1846 will put into 18xx.games will allow 1849 to be implemented quickly afterwards

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Mighty Eris posted:

The latter - rulebook says that when you have no more legal moves, “He then removes his penguins from the game board and adds the ice floes they occupied to his collection.”

Oh, right! Thanks for the confirmation; I suspected as much, but wasn't 100% - I must've missed that part of the rules.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
I just played Galaxy Trucker for this first time with my girlfriend, and all I have to say is LOL! I won 48-0, she got real mad.

10/10 will play again (with more people next time so she has, in her own words, "someone else to laugh at")

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Fellis posted:

I think the real answer is any 18xx you can get people to play is the best one, any discussion is just theorycrafting optimal engagement. I played 1846 my first time and it definitely intrigued me enough to get me to play more. Now, as a more experienced 18xx player i don't like 1846 as much (it's fine, better than nothing which is more than i can say for 18lilliput), but I've also seen people start with 1862, 1849, alongside the typical 1830/1889/1846. If people like the style of game they'll probably like it no matter what.

I mean unless you mercilessly crush them, or are lovely or whatever. That's not really the game's fault. On this topic, I played a teaching game of 18Chessie (on 18xx.games) with 2 new players and 3 vets last night and dang one of the newer players picked the game faster than I've ever seen and is already asking some pretty pointed questions about strategy in our group chat. It's very :3: feeling to indoctrinate a new player into the cult

I hope that the incremental capitalization framework that 1846 will put into 18xx.games will allow 1849 to be implemented quickly afterwards

The Mark Derrick games are all pretty similar and appear to be being worked on, so hopefully 18Mex in the future too :swoon:

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jul 26, 2020

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?

Bellmaker posted:

The Mark Derrick games are all pretty similar and appear to be being worked on, so hopefully 18Mex in the future too :swoon:

There was an 18Mex game sitting in active on 18xx.games earlier today so that’s a safe bet. As someone who has just started playing these recently, why should I bet excited for 18Mex?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

There a Trad Games discord for playing stuff on TTS?

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

We sometimes get games together here: https://discord.gg/5aX3sJD

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Picked up a Kallax today :ninja:

Photo here if you give a poo poo what the full setup looks like

The other CAH box is the PNP of Secret Hitler.
Sushi Go still wrapped as a gift for a friend for over a month. Weee Covid.

Basically an entire row ready for new games + KS pickups. :slick:

socialsecurity posted:

There a Trad Games discord for playing stuff on TTS?

While I was IK a couple of people came to me about starting up a TTS thread, but I am a lazy lazy man.
If someone wants to set one up for game arrangements that would be lovely, cause I'd likely only get around to it ~eventually~

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm getting anxiety from seeing FfO + Norwegians stacked over Fury of Dracula.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I could stack it vertically and give us both anxiety, if that helps?

Edit: also picked up a bunch of small wooden bowls for game pieces as well
https://www.ikea.com/au/en/p/blanda-matt-serving-bowl-bamboo-80222974/

Should work well for passing around the table

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 26, 2020

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
I bought a bunch of https://boardgamegeekstore.com/collections/holiday-gift-ideas/products/bgg-folding-bit-bowls for that purpose, they're pretty handy to have around. I made some out of baltic birch a while back but smaller and lighter weight individual bowls are nice to keep tokens organized.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
We played our first game of Food Chain Magnate in a while last night and man that is a great game. We did 2 player with the expansion milestones but no exp modules. We're thinking that our next game we might do a 2x4 map instead of a 3x3. With 3x3 a centrally placed restaurant with the first marketer -2 distance is a really huge early bonus on most maps, with 2x4 it seems like there would be more opportunity for a player not going marketer to compete in a corner. Has anyone here tried this out?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
For bowls, we use these little glass bowls from Dollar Tree: https://www.dollartree.com/3frac12-glass-prep-bowls-4ct-sets/186672 (the link is for a case of 12 sets of 4, could not find the individual set of 4 on their site). They are small and stack well. I like them being transparent so they are easier to see at whatever angle and don't necessarily clash visually if they were made of some other material. $3 is more than I will ever need. The only downside I can see is maybe they are a bit small, so if you are going to be passing them around, they might get dropped.

The other bowl I've seen people use at game days in The Before Times are individual silicon cupcake molds. Something like these: https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/oxo-good-grips-reg-silicone-baking-cups/1061515758?keyword=silicone-cupcake-liners although the generic ones I have came from an overstock store. The nice thing about these is they are much more portable; they will never 'break' and and can squash down pretty good. They come in various colors so maybe you can divvy pieces in the right color depending on the bits.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Zen bins or the SG trays are great, inexpensive, and double as storage as well.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Mighty Eris posted:

There was an 18Mex game sitting in active on 18xx.games earlier today so that’s a safe bet. As someone who has just started playing these recently, why should I bet excited for 18Mex?

18Mex has minors which fold into a major/national and give you a cert of them when they close, a tight map full of terrain decisions, and the NdeM (a presidency that can't start until the fifth 3T is bought).

When the first 5T is bought one company can merge their company into the NdeM (the American companies cannot, natch :911: ) You only get half your share value back and a 10% cert of the NdeM, but you can dodge one of the craziest train rushes in 18xx :stare:

All the companies have their own little flavor to them, almost all of them are perfectly viable depending on the situation. It's Derrick's best design by far and probably my second favorite after 1849. Like 49 it's mean in the right ways.

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 26, 2020

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Bellmaker posted:

18Mex has minors which fold into a major/national and give you a cert of them when they close, a tight map full of terrain decisions, and the NdeM (a presidency that can't start until the fifth 3T is bought).

When the first 5T is bought one company can merge their company into the NdeM (the American companies cannot, natch :911: ) You only get half your share value back and a 10% cert of the NdeM, but you can dodge one of the craziest train rushes in 18xx :stare:

All the companies have their own little flavor to them, almost all of them are perfectly viable depending on the situation. It's Derrick's best design by far and probably my second favorite after 1849. Like 49 it's mean in the right ways.

D-did I screw up not ordering 18MEX too???

If I've got '49 on the way is it worth ordering MEX too?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Reynold posted:

I just played Galaxy Trucker for this first time with my girlfriend, and all I have to say is LOL! I won 48-0, she got real mad.

10/10 will play again (with more people next time so she has, in her own words, "someone else to laugh at")

That's a shame, she was just one dollar away from winning.

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?

Bellmaker posted:

That sounds wild, but still understandable to a newer player. Damnit, I don’t want to spend more money but 18xx.games has made playing these games way too approachable to resist any longer.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Reynold posted:

GT is relatively easy to handicap in various ways, if you're so inclined.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Infinitum posted:

I could stack it vertically and give us both anxiety, if that helps?

Edit: also picked up a bunch of small wooden bowls for game pieces as well
https://www.ikea.com/au/en/p/blanda-matt-serving-bowl-bamboo-80222974/

Should work well for passing around the table

Vertically is fine, at least you aren't going to dinner plate the boxes :P

Those bowls are good, but uh just a heads up don't put them in the microwave or dishwasher. They will get messed up with heat.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Help me? My friends that we played Gloomhaven with have bought clank legacy, and they and my wife are REALLY into it, and think it's much better than boring old Gloomhaven. And like, fine, people like different things, they're having fun, not gonna poo poo in their cornflakes. But it keeps doing things that make me wince. The latest one (kept vague to avoid spoilers) was one of the players (chosen as: the one that was doing the best) got to make a choice of upgrades. One of the upgrades was: when you buy (a thing you can only really buy if you're already doing well), also get another bonus.

And that's it. "Make the game more snowbally". Two of the others did similar.

I mean the whole game is basically someone randomly becoming a runaway leader and then getting to do the legacy stuff and winning the game. Were only three rounds in, so maybe it changes (it definitely doesn't) but so far, every game has played out the same with one player doing the fun poo poo and everyone else looking for unimportant scraps. The fact that as randomly as you can become the "all the fun game winner", you can also die and become the "not playing the game player" is just.... Eurgh.

All the reviews on BGG are hyper glowing, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills? I'm totally fine to just chill out and watch it play out, I'm not at all competitive, and the writing is mostly fun, there's a lot to enjoy. I just feel like I'm going a bit mad, isn't it OBVIOUSLY bad gameplay? Even just things like, after each round, you all get to make fairly arbitrary choices, but the choices are exhaustive. Why does the winning player go first? It would have been such an easy concession?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

PerniciousKnid posted:

GT is relatively easy to handicap in various ways, if you're so inclined.

Yeah even just dialling down the number of held pieces can make a big difference.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Morpheus posted:

Those bowls are good, but uh just a heads up don't put them in the microwave or dishwasher. They will get messed up with heat.

Thankfully I do not plan on heating up any game bits in the microwave.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Infinitum you rat! How could you give your own game group the old spicy meeple?!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

*jots down idea in board game design book*

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqMEiBu4M1c
5d chess with multiverse time travel came out a few days ago, and it seems relevant to the thread.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Chess is great, here are some strategies....

But first we have to talk about parallel universes

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
Can't wait to learn this and insist to everyone that it's the best iteration of Chess. Step aside, Fischer random. Step aside, Chess 2 .

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
My podcast session with Games on the Brain is up. Review of Tekenhu and discussion of what ever happened to actual PvP in board games.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Transdimensional Go is a much more elegant game.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I’ve seen some people recommending Quest for El Dorado as a good 2 player deck building hybrid game and am thinking about picking it up. Was wondering if any of the expansions are worth grabbing to or should I just stick with the base game for now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Rad Valtar posted:

I’ve seen some people recommending Quest for El Dorado as a good 2 player deck building hybrid game and am thinking about picking it up. Was wondering if any of the expansions are worth grabbing to or should I just stick with the base game for now?

I've just got the base and there is plenty of variety in there already. I think if you were playing it regularly and had maxed out your tolerance for the decent amount of tiles contained, I could see getting the expansion but every time I've gone to grab it I end up putting it back because it looks a little fluffy and I've still got tons of mileage left in the base game.

More than happy to be told I'm wrong by someone who actually owns it all though.