Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Nice piece of fish posted:

Where I live they wouldn't even have gotten permit to construct the fence. Also we have a special court that would have forcibly rearranged the properties to avoid that moronic crap.
Tell me more. There's a special land court that can just say, "your agreed on property lines are stupid" and give your land to your neighbors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Nice piece of fish posted:

What I'm saying is they wouldn't have cause for such an off-fence

That one was beyond the pale.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I’m just gonna stake out my claim and say: that joke sucked

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
gently caress all of you. Puns are the greatest form of humor excepting dick jokes.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

therobit posted:

gently caress all of you. Puns are the greatest form of humor excepting dick jokes.

Truly. The intellect of punners is metes and bounds ahead of the haters.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Wisdom from the shire.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Dead Reckoning posted:

Tell me more. There's a special land court that can just say, "your agreed on property lines are stupid" and give your land to your neighbors?

https://www.oicrf.org/-/land-consolidation-organized-in-a-special-court-experiences-from-norway

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I think acquisitive prescription is cooler than adverse possession.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I think acquisitive prescription is cooler than adverse possession.

I think having to memorize a whole new vocabulary for the same concepts was the most annoying part of the Louisiana bar exam.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

ulmont posted:

I think having to memorize a whole new vocabulary for the same concepts was the most annoying part of the Louisiana bar exam.

Usufruct

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

the idea i could just hang out somewhere for 10yrs and make it mine is intriguing

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

owlhawk911 posted:

the idea i could just hang out somewhere for 10yrs and make it mine is intriguing

You have to have color of title* and improve the land and have “””hostile possession “””

* sometimes

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

euphronius posted:

You have to have color of title* and improve the land and have “””hostile possession “””

* sometimes

My brother is a notary, he can get you a colorable title to anything for the right price

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That price is ::: $5

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
So what I'm hearing is that the Scooby Doo method of land acquisition is real?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Volmarias posted:

So what I'm hearing is that the Scooby Doo method of land acquisition is real?

Dressing up in a mask and scaring people off their land is one of the cornerstones of property ownership, especially in the South.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

pseudanonymous posted:

Dressing up in a mask and scaring people off their land is one of the cornerstones of property ownership, especially in the South.

:vince:

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

pseudanonymous posted:

Hot drat

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

pseudanonymous posted:

That one's gonna be a Jinkies for me

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

pseudanonymous posted:

Holy poo poo

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

do adverse possession laws intersect cleanly with mining claims/patent claims, such as in nevada where it's supposedly relatively more permissive to stake a claim? I've heard tales of "legally" grabbing someone's land by virtue of establishing a claim and then doing the necessary improvements to that claim to maintain it and then you can actually live on it as long as you still nominally mine the claim

basically tell me your stories about modern-day claim jumping, if you have them

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

do adverse possession laws intersect cleanly with mining claims/patent claims,

State by state issue, but, in short: no, not really. In Texas "mining" is the same as "mineral rights" for oil and gas, and the types of adverse possession that goes doesn't really track with mineral rights the same way it does to surface rights.

Edit: the reason why is that the "possession" part of adverse possession means actual drilling (or I guess mining) which generally a surface owner doesn't do - its leased out, and any lease or permission to drill defeats the "adverse" part of adverse possession.

Its a super long and arduous explanation to really describe the issue, but just accept the above, even though its so woefully incomplete so as to be almost misleading.

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 27, 2020

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

do adverse possession laws intersect cleanly with mining claims/patent claims,

I’m assuming you’re talking about land patents, not utility patents. About which I have no idea.

But for utility patents, adverse possession is totally inapplicable and we actually have a SCOTUS case (SCA Hygiene) saying it’s 100% okay to watch someone use your patent and then wait 6 years to sue them.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

yeah land patents, specifically patented claims, which are like normal mining claims but double-extra protected with additional papers with more fancy stamps and whatnot affixed to them.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!
So, my landlord has a tenant who moved out about 3.5 years ago, and they left a small boat in the backyard. He has contacted them a few times about it, and it's always "yeah, I'll be by".

What would happen if this boat was listed on Craig's List?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Hopes Fall posted:

So, my landlord has a tenant who moved out about 3.5 years ago, and they left a small boat in the backyard. He has contacted them a few times about it, and it's always "yeah, I'll be by".

Is this property in a state where boats are titled at the DMV? Otherwise it might be hard to prove. There is probably an abandoned property procedure the landlord must follow though.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Bet a scrapyard will haul it off for free, at absolute worst

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

gently caress if it's aluminum and there are no titles in your state take off all the steel and take it to the scrap yard yourself. The price of nonferrous metals is way up from a year ago.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Hopes Fall posted:

What boat?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

a boat that still floats is worth more than scrap metal, usually
especially if it has a trailer that it already fits on, and which is roadworthy

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I'm guessing based on the owner's level of care and maintenance being "left outside untouched for 3.5 years" that it is not one of those boats

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Javid posted:

I'm guessing based on the owner's level of care and maintenance being "left outside untouched for 3.5 years" that it is not one of those boats

I mean, if it's a fancy boat that's been beat to hell by weather/critters then sure. But if it's just a little 14' aluminum fishing deal then it's going to be fairly bullet-proof and probably worth at least a few hundred bucks to someone.

There are procedures to follow for property abandoned by tenants that will be state specific. Should be easy to find and follow since it's not uncommon for tenants to leave crap behind.

Your landlord would be wise to follow it to the letter, because if the former renter gets pissed off it could get ugly.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
I mean is someone who left their jon boat for 3.5 years yet still takes the time to make excuses to the former landlord really a high risk for litigating if it disappears? Landlord can just counterclaim for 3.5 years of storage fees

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
I guess, but seems like it's simple enough to look up whatever notice is required and follow it :shrug:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

If they've been in contact since then and expressly stated that they don't intent to abandon the property then that's likely a sticking point. The rules will be jurisdiction specific, but a "you need to pick up your property within *reasonable amount of time* or I'm scrapping it" of some sort will be needed.

e: having prior contact where no storage fee is discussed and the presence of the boat is accepted likely estops any storage fee.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Boat Law: the New Tree Law

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Alchenar posted:

e: having prior contact where no storage fee is discussed and the presence of the boat is accepted likely estops any storage fee.

It's not to win on the merits, it's go away leverage.

All these city mouse solutions for a country mouse problem.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

blarzgh posted:

Boat Law: the New Tree Law

What if the boat's been there so long that a tree is growing out of it, huh? WHAT THEN??

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

What if the boat's been there so long that a tree is growing out of it, huh? WHAT THEN??

if the prior owner of the boat has to cut the tree down to recover their boat and does so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Also the tree is growing out over the fence and dropping poo poo on the neighbor's prized azaleas.

e: Said neighbor is the boat owner