Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

StrixNebulosa posted:

e: died to a wand but now I know what that spell does (it kills you)
There is a hilarious number of spells that will straight-up kill you if you use them wrong - not by doing damage to you, which is something that you might survive through the right combination of perks, but by doing things like turning the pixels your Noita is made of into an equally large puddle of water pixels.

Noita is a good game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

Noita's difficulty is still frustrating me, as I rarely survive long enough to pick up rad spells and the wands to put them in

(the game finally clicked but good god I've been to Hiisi Base once in a week now, and that's like the halfway mark for just the plain old run :gonk:)

The Hiisi Base is nominally halfway through, but I think the Snowy Depths and Hiisi Base are the most relevant skill humps to get over, after that the enemies get tougher but the situations don't get intrinsically that much more difficult.

It helped me to watch a competent streamer play to pick up enough wandcraft to get by. I sort of went straight from 'every run is a slog until i get dunked on in Snowy Depths or Hiisi Base' to 'Win in the first run to make it to the Jungle'. Knowledge is power.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1097150/Fall_Guys_Ultimate_Knockout/

Played the Fall Guys technical beta. Pretty good game, it's Takeshi's Castle via way of Human Fall Flat/Gang Beasts putting 60 people through elimination rounds that remove about 15 players. The lack of a losers bracket feels like an oversight, you just go back to the menu or keep on spectating once you get knocked out.

Gameplay is fine, there can be a touch of lag in modes like tag where people grab you from further than they should but it's not a problem. It's clearly going to have a cosmetic store but I don't see any reason to worry about that.

It's only $20 but there's also only 25 stages, you see a random 4 per match. Considering how simple they are this is worryingly low, 4 hours in the beta was enough to see plenty of repeats. I fear after a month it will have gotten old.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Cardiovorax posted:

There is a hilarious number of spells that will straight-up kill you if you use them wrong - not by doing damage to you, which is something that you might survive through the right combination of perks, but by doing things like turning the pixels your Noita is made of into an equally large puddle of water pixels.

Noita is a good game.

It really is good. It makes me anxious as hell, though. Every time I eat a knockback off a ledge I wonder if I'm going to fall uncontrollably into acid or lava and be Utterly Consumed. Apparently that's a thing for me :ohdear:

(best runs so far have all had an All-Seeing Eye show up early lol)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 26, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Cardiovorax posted:

Noita is a good game.

I just found a wand that has three teleportation spells that put you "wherever the spell ends up" and one bifurcating shot" and I'm terrified of using it as I think it'll rip me in half

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

MonkeyforaHead posted:

In other news, I just clicked on Jets'n'Guns 2 in my library which... prompted an achievement popup. I didn't launch it, in fact I haven't played it since 2018, it's not even installed, but I got an achievement. Then things got weirder.

what year is it again

I just tried and the same thing happened to me, so it's not just you!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

MonkeyforaHead posted:

After 2K bought the game and tried to sneak Red Shell into it the writing was kind of on the wall. I'm just waiting to see what they manage to turn into microtransactions at this point.

In other news, I just clicked on Jets'n'Guns 2 in my library which... prompted an achievement popup. I didn't launch it, in fact I haven't played it since 2018, it's not even installed, but I got an achievement. Then things got weirder.

what year is it again

the number of completely different dates on display here is making my inner programmer cry

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh, hey, this post made me find out that Jets N' Guns 2 is actually out out now.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Stokes posted:

It's DemonCrawl. And yeah now that my mind isn't fried from staying up too late to get one more run in I can see that it's not a 50/50. I think I was too focused on the one shot kill curse.

really late, but it's not a one shot kill. Read it again, it reduces your max HP. I made that mistake for a while too

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Weird- my preorder for Horizon Zero Dawn keeps going from appearing in my library to not appearing in my library. Anyone else have a similar problem with preorders right now?

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
I just beat MO: Astray and it was very good. I played on a controller with pretty bad drift on the right stick. That was a very unwise decision. It's a testament to the game's quality that I finished it up anyway and still had fun the whole way through.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

MO:Astray went completely under the radar and it deserves a lot more attention than it got imo

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

FreeKillB posted:

The Hiisi Base is nominally halfway through, but I think the Snowy Depths and Hiisi Base are the most relevant skill humps to get over, after that the enemies get tougher but the situations don't get intrinsically that much more difficult.

It helped me to watch a competent streamer play to pick up enough wandcraft to get by. I sort of went straight from 'every run is a slog until i get dunked on in Snowy Depths or Hiisi Base' to 'Win in the first run to make it to the Jungle'. Knowledge is power.

Seems you were dead right on the money. I saw the underground jungle for the first time this run after scraping by Hiisi Base by a razor thin margin, and well,

:toot:

I'd like to thank the magical flechette gun that, if Noita supported naming wands, I would call "Warcrimes"

https://i.imgur.com/DZQ83wi.mp4

I'm sure to old hands at the game even one-shotting the boss is nothing special, but tbf I was pleased with killing it in less than ten :D

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i like MO astray so far but if eel like i have to read every drat enemies minds and its killing the flow of the game for me

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I finished Witcher 3!! Finally after 2 years!

I just got the PC gamepass..

This isn't going to help me with my backlog.

Carrion is cool though!

Downloading the Master Chief collection.

This isn't going to help me with my backlog... too many fukeng games.

RC Cola posted:

What game is this?

5D Chess with Multiverse Time Travel

Cactus fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 28, 2020

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

queeb posted:

i like MO astray so far but if eel like i have to read every drat enemies minds and its killing the flow of the game for me

i thought that essentially turning enemies into collectibles was a really neat idea, though it would have driven me crazy if i'd tried to collect them all

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

queeb posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend this. There are waaaaay too many enemies and dead bodies around to bother with all that. It's a neat gimmick, but it's totally extraneous. I found the story pretty nonsensical so after a while I stopped worrying about them and my experience of the game was better for it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I just found a wand that has three teleportation spells that put you "wherever the spell ends up" and one bifurcating shot" and I'm terrified of using it as I think it'll rip me in half
You know, I wouldn't put it past that game. Try it and tell us what happens! It'll probably just drop you at either the first teleport to hit or the last one, though.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

You know, I wouldn't put it past that game. Try it and tell us what happens! It'll probably just drop you at either the first teleport to hit or the last one, though.

I died before I could test it, sorry.

Have this as my apology:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmTQdmkS8Xo

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Have this as my apology:

Nightmare Meat World Skyrim is a pretty good apology, you are forgiven. :)

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

StrixNebulosa posted:

Have this as my apology:

I feel like this video definitely needs content warnings, but I would not be able to tell you what they would be.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Artelier posted:

I feel like this video definitely needs content warnings, but I would not be able to tell you what they would be.

It's the shuffling of all of the sound effects and voice clips that really get me.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I haven't been able to stop laughing since the MUUUUST KIIIILL maid.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I am excited to play Othercide on Tuesday

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Have this as my apology:

Jesus lol.

Love this.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

RC Cola posted:

I am excited to play Othercide on Tuesday

Same. This could be v good.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

MonkeyforaHead posted:

what year is it again

Same thing happened to me a few months ago with a different game:

Glare Seethe posted:

Strange, I was browsing my library just now looking at some old games and clicked on Zack Zero, which is a bad game you shouldn't play (but I did back in 2013), and an achievement unlocked for completing the game. I did that six years ago, Steam?? The game's not even installed or anything, just clicking it in the library unlocked it. :confused:

Also the same weirdness/inconsistency with the unlock dates. The Steam client is full of mysteries.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
How different is Dragon Quest Builders 2 from the first game? I like the idea of a more guided Minecraft-like, but DQB artificially limiting what you can build and having to basically restart several times in different worlds was not my thing at all. Is DQB2 basically that but maybe more expanded or did they change the underlying structure more radically?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

lordfrikk posted:

How different is Dragon Quest Builders 2 from the first game? I like the idea of a more guided Minecraft-like, but DQB artificially limiting what you can build and having to basically restart several times in different worlds was not my thing at all. Is DQB2 basically that but maybe more expanded or did they change the underlying structure more radically?
I'm not sure what you mean by artificially limiting. You can build anything you have materials for anywhere in the game, but it does still have multiple levels, so you will have to start over repeatedly. It does, however, also have a persistent player island that you can visit at will and on which you can build structures that stay around for as long as you want them to.

Voltek
Apr 19, 2013
I am continuing to slowly work through my backlog and thought I might post some thoughts. Note that I give a game up to two hours to grab me, and if it doesn't I move on to the next.

Slime Rancher
Nails the experience of being a farmer of cute slimes and is pretty relaxing to play if that is your kind of thing. You basically feed and look after slimes, sell the 'plorts' they poop out after eating, then you go exploring to find new varieties of slimes and combine them with your existing slimes to sell higher value 'plorts'. I ended up moving on after 2 hours as the actual gameplay loop of farming slimes didn't grab me.

I mostly bought this to support the devs who seem pretty nice, and a lot of people enjoy the game for what it is. Highly recommended if you'd like a fun and relaxing game where you can boop cat slimes around.

Zuma's Revenge
I think I got this in an EA bundle a long time ago. It's a match 3 game where you need to prevent a line of balls on a track from reaching the end. Match colours until the Zuma bar fills and stops new balls being launched, then finish off the line. There are boss fights every ten levels where you use a gimmick to smack a boss in the head. A single playthrough of Adventure mode took me 4 hours, then I decided I'd had my fill.

As a side note, the final boss fight is an amazing multi stage fight that, no joke, ranks highly in my list of fun final boss fights.

Most of the levels are interesting to play, although there are a couple with annoying layouts and fast balls that come down to just surivival until the Zuma bar fills. Very good player feedback with lots of thunks, clicks and dings accompanying every action. This is one of those games where people have reviewed it with hundreds or even thousands of hours, and you can see why given this is made by Popcap, who also made Bejewled. These are the kinds of designs that influence the most popular casual mobile games that bring in crazy amounts of money.

Sells for a cheap lunch normally and less on sale, so if this sounds like fun you'll probably get your money's worth.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

lordfrikk posted:

Yes and No, the individual levels are just about the same limiting wise. But there is also a central hub world now where you can do whatever.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

socialsecurity posted:

Yes and No, the individual levels are just about the same limiting wise. But there is also a central hub world now where you can do whatever.

Thanks! I guess it's not my thing, then. I don't really see any point in having several worlds that force you to re-build from scratch. I much prefer having one persistent world that you can explore fully.

Cardiovorax posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by artificially limiting. You can build anything you have materials for anywhere in the game, but it does still have multiple levels, so you will have to start over repeatedly. It does, however, also have a persistent player island that you can visit at will and on which you can build structures that stay around for as long as you want them to.

My memory is fairly blurry at this point but if I remember correctly, the game slowly introduces building plans (unless you look them up online, I guess? which I really dislike) and you have to progress through the game to access other worlds for better materials, no? I guess it's really a semantic/pedantic point whether that's artificially limiting the player. Nevertheless, I didn't like that approach.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

lordfrikk posted:

My memory is fairly blurry at this point but if I remember correctly, the game slowly introduces building plans (unless you look them up online, I guess? which I really dislike) and you have to progress through the game to access other worlds for better materials, no? I guess it's really a semantic/pedantic point whether that's artificially limiting the player. Nevertheless, I didn't like that approach.
Yeah, it still basically does that. Personally, I think it gives the game a satisfying sense of progression, but if that isn't your thing and you already disliked it in the first game, then I think this one probably won't work all that much better for you. It's overall a much better game, from what I'm told, but I wouldn't expect too much change in that regard.

As has been recommended before, however, the demo is very large and expansive and you can always at least try it out to see how well it gels for you.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

lordfrikk posted:

Thanks! I guess it's not my thing, then. I don't really see any point in having several worlds that force you to re-build from scratch. I much prefer having one persistent world that you can explore fully.

for what it's worth, that bothered me in the first game but not the second. it takes a while to get there, but the persistent hub world made putting time and effort into projects more fulfilling, and I really liked the loop of going off on expeditions and to other worlds to find rare stuff to build up my hub world with

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Might have to take another look at this game.

:psyboom:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

finally a good cosmic horror game

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'm not even good at linear chess, how am I supposed to play time chess?

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

zedprime posted:

I'm not even good at linear chess, how am I supposed to play time chess?

This is a perfect game for streamers.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Shrecknet posted:

Might have to take another look at this game.

:psyboom:

What game is this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

RC Cola posted:

What game is this?

Wolfenstein: Youngblood