Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008
"But the justification makes sense: Seven of Nine considered Icheb practically a son — she calls him “my child” as she comes upon him, brutalized, and ends his misery with a phaser blast."

Yeah, okay, having him be brutalised drives her motivation. But she just sees the aftermath - why do we, the audience, need to see his eyeball getting ripped out?
You can't have him strapped down, screaming, while terrifying machines come towards him then cut away? And have him moaning and begging to die when Seven comes upon him? Even that would be more gratuitous than we need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
remember when we used to be explorers

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

IMO the worst thing about the Icheb death is that they put it at the beginning of the episode rather than at the end where it should have been

Also I have very little expectation that Disco S3 will be good when the best characters from S2 won’t be around at all.

I’m calling it now, we will absolutely meet the Dax host of the 31st century

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
They got rid of Ash Tyler which brings the quality of the show up a whole letter grade, though.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008
I wonder if they're going to do the Interstellar thing where their families left them messages over the years?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

galenanorth posted:

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/02/star-trek-picard-twist-most-violent-scene-icheb-seven-of-nine-1202212586/

“For a lot of reasons, it made sense that Bruce Maddox would not make it through this episode,” episode writer and supervising producer Kirsten Beyer said. “The most important part was Jurati’s relationship to him and what it says about how committed she is to the mission she’s been assigned.”

Rather than just adding another new character in a show already packed with new characters to keep track of, Beyer realized when breaking the story for “Stardust City Rag” it would be more interesting to use this MacGuffin of a character as a way of enriching Jurati.

four episodes in, "gotta find Bruce Maddox" over and over, only to kill him right after he's found because they have 'too many characters to keep track of'. Keeping him on the ship and just having him quietly play board games or use the Holodeck most of the time and having him help Rios with repairing the ship would have been an option, since it's not like everyone needs an arc.

Except that Jurati isn't that committed because the instant she's tested by the crew she folds.

PS. Also dude you can't just spoil an entire post without giving some context as to what's under the black bars.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Ramadu posted:

im gonna say you're freaking out way too hard and should maybe take a break from trek if a drunk batleth injury is causing this level of meltdown

Hell, in an episode of The Orville, the android cuts off a crewmember's leg in his sleep as a practical joke.

Drunk in Space posted:

I wonder if that scene was inspired by this cheerful little film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjgHbRrnjhU (7:48 specifically)

Jesus h christ that is hosed. UP. :froggonk:

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

galenanorth posted:

because they have 'too many characters to keep track of'.

"-We hosed up
-But then we hosed up more, but this time it was planned"

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Would’ve been better if they’d waited long enough for the original Bruce Maddox actor to join up. He’s teaching theatre or something now, but I don’t recall seeing anything mentioning whether they’d reached out to him to see if he’d still be interested in playing the part. It was cool seeing him pop up in The Shawshank Redemption too.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
"While breaking the story." That's the problem.

If you're going to have a 10-episode prestige-style show, to my mind, you start with ten completed, coherent scripts. If on script four you realize that something isn't turning out the way you want, you go back and edit the other scripts to fit your change.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Retrowave Joe posted:

Would’ve been better if they’d waited long enough for the original Bruce Maddox actor to join up. He’s teaching theatre or something now, but I don’t recall seeing anything mentioning whether they’d reached out to him to see if he’d still be interested in playing the part. It was cool seeing him pop up in The Shawshank Redemption too.

I don't think they even asked him, and when some site reached out he said some sad sounding thing about how he would have been interested. Which really sucks. It was weird too because the jobber androids that went rogue kind of looked like him to a degree that I always thought it had to be casting on purpose.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

If i was the original Maddox actor and I saw what they did to my character I wouldn’t have bothered

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

TheCenturion posted:

"While breaking the story." That's the problem.

If you're going to have a 10-episode prestige-style show, to my mind, you start with ten completed, coherent scripts. If on script four you realize that something isn't turning out the way you want, you go back and edit the other scripts to fit your change.
All the more so when the show's being made for a streaming service rather than a network. There shouldn't be any broadcast deadline that absolutely has to be met, no matter what. But even now, TV seems to be stuck in the mindset that if it's not being written on the fly, then the writers are being paid to do nothing. "Thinking? Planning? That's not work! Get your rear end back to that keyboard, slacker!"

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Zutaten posted:

I don't think they even asked him, and when some site reached out he said some sad sounding thing about how he would have been interested. Which really sucks. It was weird too because the jobber androids that went rogue kind of looked like him to a degree that I always thought it had to be casting on purpose.

Man that’s a shame. I had the same feeling you did about the androids and even did a comparison pic back then. I was so convinced they were gonna bring back the the OG Maddox when I saw

Screaming_Gremlin
Dec 26, 2005

Look at him. Dude's a stone-cold badass.
Discovery season 3 starts on October 15.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoLxTLwzHSw

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Welp, I'll take that flag as a confirmation that the story is going to be the exact bleak collapse-of-civilization nonsense we all expected. Oh well, nowhere to go but up.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

No but you see it's totally fine because it's not bleak because it's actually totally hopeful and optimistic because our heroes will manage to inspire a couple of people at the end.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

MikeJF posted:

No but you see it's totally fine because it's not bleak because it's actually totally hopeful and optimistic because our heroes will manage to inspire a couple of people at the end.

That's pretty much at least half of fiction with a dystopian setting

I watched Ready Player One earlier this year, and it ended with the protagonists forbidding people from staying logged into VR on certain days, so that people will have to go out into the real world and change it, but that doesn't even address the possibility of a competitor VR company breaking the monopoly by offering VR access on those days

In Snow Crash, the victory is only stopping the impending apocalypse on top of the dystopian setting, and the putz/pushover protagonist actualizing the computer-toucher materialist dream of starting his own company, with no improvement in society compared to how the story began at all

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 27, 2020

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
gently caress it, I’ll take 23 weeks of new Trek.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I wonder if that's Earth she's standing on, since that's definitely our old familiar Moon in the sky behind her.

Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean much since the show freely re-uses worlds. Talos IV (pre-remaster, anyway) was also pretty clearly the Moon with some touch-ups painted on.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I want every new planet on Strange New Worlds to be Literally Earth, but with the hue color slider messed with.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

I wonder if that's Earth she's standing on, since that's definitely our old familiar Moon in the sky behind her.

Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean much since the show freely re-uses worlds. Talos IV (pre-remaster, anyway) was also pretty clearly the Moon with some touch-ups painted on.

I know I see recolored Mars crop up as alien planets in sci-fi all the time, which is incredibly distracting because of how easy it is to recognise once you know valles marineris, it's such a distinct feature.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I'm interested in seeing how 100 people from the 23rd century can do jack poo poo to influence affairs in the 31st. At least Andromeda was a gently caress-off ship that could destroy stars.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Thom12255 posted:

I'm interested in seeing how 100 people from the 23rd century can do jack poo poo to influence affairs in the 31st. At least Andromeda was a gently caress-off ship that could destroy stars.
The only thing that might be superior to 31st century tech is the spore drive

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
They inadvertently infect the future with their spore drive causing the federation to go into lockdown and become xenophobic, this is never meaningfully fully resolved but there's a speech at the end before they return to the present about how they're going to stick to their principles

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
Discovery 3:

Senor Tron posted:

I'm expecting it to be a fairly pedestrian "Federation got over-extended, fell apart, sad" storyline, but it would be wild if they surprised us with something like things falling apart due to much of the Federation population developing to the point of becoming proto-Q style beings, and loving off out of the affairs of mortals, with those left behind because they were either unwilling or unable to advance being in a Sci-Fi themed post-Rapture state.

This idea is probably going to be a lot better than what we get.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

The only thing that might be superior to 31st century tech is the spore drive ~hope~

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Tighclops posted:

They inadvertently infect the future with their spore drive causing the federation to go into lockdown and become xenophobic, this is never meaningfully fully resolved but there's a speech at the end before they return to the present about how they're going to stick to their principles

Please stop hurting meeeeeeeeeee it can't be real
*runs away sobbing*

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
In a lot of ways they are more stranded than Voyager ever was. Lets see how they manage on torpedoes and spinny shuttles

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Thom12255 posted:

You see, what really led to the downfall was a lack of hope and inspiration. Sure they may not have technology, sure they may not have knowledge of political factions and diplomatic tensions for the past 800 years, sure they may not have a likeable crew, and sure they were conned for an entire season by (disco spoiler) a mirror universe genocidal maniac, but they have hope.

It's hope. Hope will save the day.

edit: whoops gently caress forgot the other components, they are (in order): faith, family, and uhhhhh, tenacity? those will stop the downfall of civilization or whatever.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Burnham constantly crying for 13 episodes will restore the Federation

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
While Frakes spins the camera like it’s wheel of fortune

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Burnham constantly crying for 13 episodes will restore the Federation

Her faith will restore hope in the universe.

No don't ask what they mean specifically by faith, or what that faith is in, or how that faith motivates her and the people around her, it's just faith and it saves the day, don't question it.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

piratepilates posted:

You see, what really led to the downfall was a lack of hope and inspiration. Sure they may not have technology, sure they may not have knowledge of political factions and diplomatic tensions for the past 800 years, sure they may not have a likeable crew, and sure they were conned for an entire season by (disco spoiler) a mirror universe genocidal maniac, but they have hope.

edit: whoops gently caress forgot the other components, they are (in order): faith, family, and uhhhhh, tenacity? those will stop the downfall of civilization or whatever.

So basically a bible?
If they will bring back 'a book of hope' of some kind to unite the people...I dunno, I'll stab myself with my st tng combadge.
If they will call it 'The Book of Michael' or 'the book of burnham' or else...I'll shove the combadge up my rear end.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Likewise Hopkins in Thor: Ragnarok playing Loki playing Odin; you just kind of forget that it's their performance and not Picardo/Hiddlestone

Misha Collins playing Mark Pelligrino's Lucifer in Supernatural. He was the only one who really nailed the character and made you believe it was the same person.

piratepilates posted:

Her faith will restore hope in the universe.

No don't ask what they mean specifically by faith, or what that faith is in, or how that faith motivates her and the people around her, it's just faith and it saves the day, don't question it.

Is it Of The Heart?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Astroman posted:

Is it Of The Heart?

It certainly has been a long road, to get from there to here, the 31st century.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Please stop hurting meeeeeeeeeee it can't be real
*runs away sobbing*

it's reeeaaalll don't you understand

they cre ATED it and itsss REAAAAalllll

aiiieeeeeeeeee, aiieeaarrrghh

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

TheCenturion posted:

Ehhh... yeah, sort of.
Things can play out very differently in front of the camera than you expect from how a script reads.
You don't want a situation where they're continually going back and making changes over and over and they wear everyone down and run out of budget. Actors and crew aren't robots, they start to feel defeated pretty quickly if there are too many changes or you have to go over the same thing many times.

piratepilates posted:

Isn't that the deus ex machina that saves the day from pretty much TOS? It features heavily in every Trek series.

I feel like 5 minutes ago everyone was making GBS threads on Discovery for being too modern grimdark, and now everyone's making GBS threads on it because they think it'll be too optimistic and hopeful, I just :psyduck:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
This show probably still sucks, but I’m very glad that Burnham finally got a better do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Strong Convections posted:

I feel like 5 minutes ago everyone was making GBS threads on Discovery for being too modern grimdark, and now everyone's making GBS threads on it because they think it'll be too optimistic and hopeful, I just :psyduck:

the show is extremely bad and no one has any faith

of the heart