Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

This is my favourite post in the history of this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Verisimilidude posted:

Decided to pick up the Skeleton get started boxed set and I really love painting skeletons

Just need to finish up the bases.

For these skeletons, what would people suggest basing them in color-wise? I have one on a dark brown base but I feel like there’s already a lot of brown on the model between the bone and the rust effects

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 26, 2020

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

vaginite posted:

I made a fake youtube account to make a stupid joke painting video for the guys at the shop.

It has a long wind up to try and set it up like it's gonna be serious but if you just want to skip to to the punchline then start at like a minute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLrD_kxkI3c

Goon speed to you, soon onto that gold play button

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

vaginite posted:

I made a fake youtube account to make a stupid joke painting video for the guys at the shop.

It has a long wind up to try and set it up like it's gonna be serious but if you just want to skip to to the punchline then start at like a minute.

lol this is good.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

vaginite posted:

I’m glad someone is finally sharing real techniques for speed-painting a horde army.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Winklebottom posted:

I'm a big fan of the impcat app. It lets you try out paint schemes with base/layer/shade/highlight and gives you an overview of different paint ranges. However, you need to download models (if you want GW models and the like) and paint ranges uploaded by other users since the app only has a small handful of independent sculpts. This also means that the range of models are kinda limited. But it's real good for thinking up space marine schemes.

Holy poo poo this scheme is amazing!

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
So other than the base and varnish finished the first exalted sorcerer. The large amount of robes made it easier.

The outside of the robes are contrast over metal for the otherworldly look.

The inside of the robes was apothecary white over white paint, with some edge highlighting. I dont like the apothecary white, it turned out more of a grey.

Still love aethermatic blue for the skin. Can't wait to make the daemon prince skin that color, if my Tzaangors and this guy's feet are any indication.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Thanks guys glad you liked the vid :)

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

vaginite posted:

Hive Fleet SimpleGreen

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

SiKboy posted:

These are nice as hell. Which contrast paint is the skin tone, out of interest? I picked one of the three (didnt want to duplicate at £5 per pot...) and got "Fyreslayer Flesh" because I was painting some slightly darker skin tones at the time, but its kind of an awkward one to highlight, at least for me, I just cant seem to find a natural looking highlight for it. Its one drawback to contrasts in that you cant just add a little ivory to your base colour and highlight with that. I've got some generic-rear end white dudes waiting to be painted and this skin tone looks just the job. The carapaces on the thingies also look great (I'm not up on the current GW model range. Third row from the top, look kind of like mosquitos crossed with genestealers).

Guilliman Flesh is the skin tone I used, painted over Wraithbone primer, and it’s great.

And the models you’re talking about are Cursemites, from the Gellerpox Infected, a Kill Team available in the Rogue Trader box. Unfortunately, that photo is the entire product line for Gellerpox, as GW basically forgot they existed the moment they were released. It’s a shame too, cause the models are fantastic.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I finally painted something! Talos from Malifaux.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Furism posted:

What's a good way to make a pure gold paint (Vallejo's from the Metallic line) darker? I want the gold to be darker to spray my SCE from below. I'm not sure if I should use a brown or a bronze paint. And how do I make it lighter, to spray from above? I'm guessing white but I'd like to be sure.

Turns out mixing Copper with Gold is very good to make the Gold darker, and is very close to Retributor Armor.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
oh i forgot to post in here for a while

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Is that stuff Contrast? It looks like it would be an awesome solution for Plasma

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

This weekend I got some nice tamiya knippers after always using the lovely basic citadel ones i got in a starter kit. Holy poo poo, the difference in how clean the model comes off the sprue!

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Verisimilidude posted:

I picked up the Army Painter mega paint set from Miniature Market. For $100 it’s pretty great, comes with a huge range of colors and some effect paints, and I’ve been using the brush it came with exclusively

That's what I started with, and while I know AP aren't the highest quality paints, they are more than adequate for the job, especially for people just starting out.

vaginite posted:

It made me feel so conflicted. I would laugh and then wince at the wasted paint, then go back to laughing. A++, well done, would reccomend.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

So everything I've watched says use a White Ink for airbrush rather than regular acrylic paint... Who makes a white ink? GW, P3, Army Painter all don't seem to. I found this drawing ink from Vallejo. Can that be airbrushed? Just thin it out sufficiently and go?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Use real artists acrylic ink. Liquitex, Daler Rowney, etc

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Ah, neat I was able to find the Liquitex with free shipping on Amazon. The Dalar Rowney stuff was like $6 for the ink and $7 for shipping lol. Thanks. Was hoping to pick it up locally, but oh well.

I know I haven't shut up for the last week about it but I'm so loving excited to get this brush this week :allears:

Psyber Spine
Jan 18, 2019

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

oh i forgot to post in here for a while

I tried something similar using hexwraith flame for plasma, power swords and eye lenses on my marines. I'm not 100% sold on how good it looks and I've definitely over used it but it's very easy to do, just paint it white and splosh it on. I think I might need to go back and highlight it later on.

I really like the teal and copper scheme of my marines but they just don't look finished somehow. Any ideas what I'm missing?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

white and payne’s grey are both essential inks to have if you preshade with an airbrush

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

vaginite posted:

I have liked and subscribed and shared, as is the ritual

But actually take [joke] out of the title it ruins the surprise!

The surprising quality!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Psyber Spine posted:

I tried something similar using hexwraith flame for plasma, power swords and eye lenses on my marines. I'm not 100% sold on how good it looks and I've definitely over used it but it's very easy to do, just paint it white and splosh it on. I think I might need to go back and highlight it later on.

I really like the teal and copper scheme of my marines but they just don't look finished somehow. Any ideas what I'm missing?

One method I think could be cool to make something seem like it's glowing through internal heat or magical power, would be to have the edges darker than the center parts. Kind of like in that space shuttle thermal tile demonstration, where they're glowing hot in the middle, but cool enough to grab at the edges.

I should try that out on a power weapon or magical sword or something.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

BaronVanAwesome posted:

But actually take [joke] out of the title it ruins the surprise!

Done I was on the fence

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Psyber Spine posted:

White highlight for the plasma/ power swords, another high-highlight on the teal (Temple Guard or White Scar even in the lightest spots?). It might make the armor pop more.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
re: white ink for airbrushing, I've been having issues with mine for a while. The first few times I sprayed it through an airbrush it went on fine, but now it's not sticking--and by that I mean it's sinking into the recesses and failing to adhere to more raised surfaces.

For the life of me I can't figure out why. I haven't changed anything with my set-up or PSI or anything, and the bottle is only 3-4 months old.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I have had a lot of issues with Daler Rowney white ink and have heard "pro" mini painters say the same. It seems to have a lot of issues with speckling through the airbrush and doesn't adhere to the primer very well either. I switched to liquitex and haven't had any issues since.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Having tried hexwraith flame before and tesseract glow now

Hexwraith sucks absolute rear end compared to tesseract

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Having tried hexwraith flame before and tesseract glow now

Hexwraith sucks absolute rear end compared to tesseract

I hope they make tesseract in other colors like blue and red, similar to the gem paints they made (which I use for lenses as it's basically cheating)

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Alokgen posted:

How did you do the white?

The white is just my "basecoat" - gray seer spray, then a wash of what's basically thinned-down nuln oil (I make a mix of VMC smoke, black ink and matte medium), and a heavy-ish white drybrush. That's my starting point for all my Contrast painting.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I've said it itt before, but gently caress artist's ink. Get tattoo ink, it's much more heavily pigmented and way cheaper.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Silhouette posted:

I've said it itt before, but gently caress artist's ink. Get tattoo ink, it's much more heavily pigmented and way cheaper.

I'd have thought that the costs involved in making sure its clinically sterile would've increased the price a lot more no?

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

X POSTING

Alokgen posted:

I finished a new thing.

Where does everyone host their images? Imgur's new layout is terrible and I can't seem to find the thumbnail previews.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

Psyber Spine posted:

I think it would help to make the mask part of the helmet brighter and make the lenses brighter. Then give the helmet and shoulders an additional extreme highlight. That way the eye is drawn towards the head of the model.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

One method I think could be cool to make something seem like it's glowing through internal heat or magical power, would be to have the edges darker than the center parts. Kind of like in that space shuttle thermal tile demonstration, where they're glowing hot in the middle, but cool enough to grab at the edges.

I should try that out on a power weapon or magical sword or something.

I am going to attempt this poorly ~soon~

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

working mom posted:

I'd have thought that the costs involved in making sure its clinically sterile would've increased the price a lot more no?

You'd think so, but 1oz bottles of tattoo ink are around $8-10 on average. It seems like it's more expensive than art ink at first glance, but as an example of how heavily pigmented it is, you'd use 25-30 drops of art ink to make a GW pot-sized amount of wash. With tattoo ink, you'd probably use closer to 2-5 drops.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Can you show examples of this at all? This is the first time I've heard of it

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I don't have any great spots for good lighting in my apartment. Anyone have good suggestions for a lamp possibly with a magnifier built in. Ideally it wouldn't be a massive clamp kind as it's something I'll need to put away since I don't have a dedicated work space.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

I don't have any great spots for good lighting in my apartment. Anyone have good suggestions for a lamp possibly with a magnifier built in. Ideally it wouldn't be a massive clamp kind as it's something I'll need to put away since I don't have a dedicated work space.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JVJ7F44/

I use this and it works great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010
After realising I didn't have any magenta paint and my order getting lost for 2 weeks, I've finally finished my lizards!

Didn't quite get the blending on the bastiladon down like I wanted it, and the yellow is just ugh :barf: but overall it came out pretty good imo :toot:

Now to figure out what to do next...