Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I felt really bad for Arthur Morgan in RDR2. Especially that scene with the nun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Super Robot Wars games have done that for me lots of times. Literally saving the galaxy with the power of love and friendship isn't the most innovative way to jerk my tears but it works.

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Starks posted:

The main emotions I get when playing video games are fear, anger, hate, and suffering, in that order

Hell yeah, shmups ftw

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Also the emotional response you get in a FROM game from beating any particular boss that’s been pantsing you is unmatched. Like when you first beat Dead Monkey, and then you have to fight double giant monkey it seems literally impossible at first, but then when you get it... good lord there is nothing like that.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Also the emotional response you get in a FROM game from beating any particular boss that’s been pantsing you is unmatched. Like when you first beat Dead Monkey, and then you have to fight double giant monkey it seems literally impossible at first, but then when you get it... good lord there is nothing like that.

Beating Genichiro Ashina the 2nd time was like... gaming nirvana.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Bust Rodd posted:

The 15th attempt at Genichiro where you finally win complete with a lightning reversal :discourse:

Very similar boss to Gascoigne for me. Love when From throws you at a boss and you can almost hear a voice screaming "FIGHT, YOU HAVE TO FIGHT".

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7r9RqWBdl8&t=236s

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Necrothatcher posted:

I felt really bad for Arthur Morgan in RDR2. Especially that scene with the nun.

Oh yeah goddamn, on that note the ending where John and his wife are on the hill and you know what's gonna happen to her in RDR1 - fuuuuuck.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The hand-wringing over the Ds2 elevator always seemed hilarious to me.

I actually thought it was cool as gently caress. Also this is a game where you're a zombie who fights a giant slug and can't climb over a waist-high wall.

its funny because everyone who does it seems to forget the stuff about the land being in an ever changing shifting state.

...maybe, just maybe... some australian lad should do some youtube videos... about it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I went back to Days Gone and......every time I go to this camp I follow this one question mark and it’s this guy playing the most horrible Staind-esque songs in a gazebo

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Volte posted:

The game is full of incongruous connections. The easiest example is Majula to Heide's Tower, which you can see in the far distance across the water and then walk to in about 10 seconds by going down a hallway. For all that people dunk on that Iron Keep transition, the whole game is structured like that, which I think makes sense with the fractured dreaminess of the story. I definitely think it's intentional for better or worse.

FROM actually confirmed that schedule crunch was a big part of why the world in DS2 ended up that way, so they just leaned into it and made up explanations IG for it to excuse the cutting corners.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Vikar Jerome posted:

its funny because everyone who does it seems to forget the stuff about the land being in an ever changing shifting state.

...maybe, just maybe... some australian lad should do some youtube videos... about it.

I don't really care but I get why others would, because the levels in the other souls games were so well put together that you can actually see places you'll visit late game in the distance early on, so for people who are attentive to details like that (which is encouraged by the way the designers hide lore everywhere) it can be immersion breaking if it feels like the landscape isn't connected logically

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Bloodborne in particular does an awesome job of the world feeling connected with all the views and vistas being different perspectives of the same landscape. Clock towers and bell towers and tall trees and ships masts in the background or the skyboxes help you feel like your always moving through a real place.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

:nyd:

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Fuzz posted:

FROM actually confirmed that schedule crunch was a big part of why the world in DS2 ended up that way, so they just leaned into it and made up explanations IG for it to excuse the cutting corners.
I don't doubt that (I think you'd be hard pressed to find a game where certain design elements weren't influenced by time pressure), but they could have done the same transition as Sen's Fortress to Anor Londo or any number of other spatially disconnected transitions that don't involve bizarre world layouts. The fact that they chose this peculiar abstract way of connecting disparate areas over other potentially simpler and less jarring options still feels intentional and thematically appropriate within that scope.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

emoticon posted:

I don't really care but I get why others would, because the levels in the other souls games were so well put together that you can actually see places you'll visit late game in the distance early on, so for people who are attentive to details like that (which is encouraged by the way the designers hide lore everywhere) it can be immersion breaking if it feels like the landscape isn't connected logically

the whole idea of drangleic is that it isnt connected logically and is in a dreamlike shifting state, they mention it lots of times during the intro and early npcs, but people wanna go "lol its the b team!" some dark souls fans are weird and dont wanna look past surface level stuff despite the game/items/idea/deeplore stuff telling you hey maybe you should.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jul 27, 2020

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Escobarbarian posted:

I went back to Days Gone and......every time I go to this camp I follow this one question mark and it’s this guy playing the most horrible Staind-esque songs in a gazebo

I cry every time there too

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bust Rodd posted:

Clock towers and bell towers and tall trees and ships masts in the background or the skyboxes help you feel like your always moving through a real place.

Well, except for the parts that aren't, anyway :v:

quote:

the whole idea of drangleic is that it isnt connected logically and is in a dreamlike shifting state, they mention it lots of times during the intro and early npcs, but people wanna go "lol its the b team!" some dark souls fans are weird and dont wanna look past surface level stuff despite the game/items/idea/deeplore stuff telling you hey maybe you should.

Adding Aldia in Scholar of the First Sin while also retranslating some badly done lines was both a blessing and a curse; it made the central themes more obvious, but also makes it look a lot like they were just retconning them in instead of being there the whole time.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 27, 2020

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Volte posted:

I don't doubt that (I think you'd be hard pressed to find a game where certain design elements weren't influenced by time pressure), but they could have done the same transition as Sen's Fortress to Anor Londo or any number of other spatially disconnected transitions that don't involve bizarre world layouts. The fact that they chose this peculiar abstract way of connecting disparate areas over other potentially simpler and less jarring options still feels intentional and thematically appropriate within that scope.

I mean, they straight up said otherwise, was my point. It took them literal years to design DS1's Onion world because they always felt the Archstones in Demon's weren't as satisfying as a world that was all connected. A completely separate team started working on 2 and only had under three years to make it while the bulk of the team from 1 basically shifted over to Bloodborne and DS3, which is why both of those games have a similar connected world that makes sense while DS2 is the lonesome game where stuff is thrown together.

You can keep rationalizing it as an intentional design choice, but it was essentially a retcon to explain away rushed world design. It's also why DS2 is a wheel with spokes vs anything approaching a vertical or central "world" because it was easier to just have to go on some linear path and teleport back rather than design the world to wrap back on itself like any of their other major games.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 27, 2020

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Hell yeah those songs are amazingly bad.

Like I really appreciate the effort but wow

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fuzz posted:

I mean, they straight up said otherwise, was my point. It took them literal years to design DS1's Onion world because they always felt the Archstones in Demon's weren't as satisfying as a world that was all connected. A completely separate team started working on 2 and only had under three years to make it while the bulk of the team from 1 basically shifted over to Bloodborne and DS3, which is why both of those games have a similar connected world that makes sense while DS2 is the lonesome game where stuff is thrown together.

DS3 is a very linear game that makes increasingly less sense as you go, intentionally, because space and time are breaking down once and for all. By the end the world is folding on itself.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/suckerpunchprod/status/1287765212951490560?s=10

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Oooh new difficulty level! I'll give it a try. Conceptually I like the idea of a difficulty where you can die in 1-2 hits. The only problem is the game tends to throw big groups of enemies at you simultaneously so you often have a guy side-swipe you while you're dealing with someone else. So that difficulty would probably involve a lot of using ranged abilities to thin out groups before trying to get into melee combat.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Goddamn they finally add a Bushido Blade-lethal mode and it's the day after I platinum it. Oh well maybe on an NG+ later down the line.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

DS3 is a very linear game that makes increasingly less sense as you go, intentionally, because space and time are breaking down once and for all. By the end the world is folding on itself.

Each of the worlds of Dark Souls are pretty different in philosophy. Like this post describes DS3 is not built the way DS1 is because that's how the world is affected. The core difference between this and 2 is that 2 is them having to deal with the hand they've been dealt.

It feels unfair to call the ways that DS2 works its world design into its themes an accident, more that they had some good ideas for make this work without just shoehorning in gargoyle demons at every weird transition.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Fuzz posted:

You can keep rationalizing it as an intentional design choice, but it was essentially a retcon to explain away rushed world design. It's also why DS2 is a wheel with spokes vs anything approaching a vertical or central "world" because it was easier to just have to go on some linear path and teleport back rather than design the world to wrap back on itself like any of their other major games.
Sure, the disconnected world was a product of being rushed, but I'm saying the specific elevator that people keep bitching about (and the other hallways that connect distant places) was an intentional choice influenced by that constraint. It's not like "big nonsensical elevator connecting two obviously unconnected parts of the world" is the default state and they just didn't bother to change it. Someone answered the question "how do we get from Earthan Peak to Iron Keep" with "a tall elevator" and then did the work to implement that transition. Having a special bonfire/archstone that you touch and instantly teleports you between the areas or something would have presumably been less work and made more sense, but they went with the elevator anyway. The fact that it is thematically appropriate doesn't seem accidental. Even if the whole basis for the story of DS2 is a reflection on not having enough time to do everything that needs to be done in the game, that doesn't make it a "retcon".

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://twitter.com/Lbabinz/status/1287773408890167296?s=20

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In Shao Kahn voice: PATHETIC

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Yeah sure.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Bleugh. Another COD and a game I've never heard of. A Bad Month.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Hooray I don't have to pay for MW2 :woop:

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

I'm pretty hyped about Fall Guys, especially for free! Good month imo.

Also, MW2 is going to be available starting tomorrow, a week early. Just FYI for anyone interested.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Dewgy posted:

Hooray I don't have to pay for MW2 :woop:

I was close to using my free $10 credit towards buying it this weekend. Thank god Death Stranding is so addicting and kept me hooked most of my free time.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Does MW2 Remaster have split screen co-op for the campaign?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Heh, that's the only Call of Duty campaign I've already played

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Emotional responses to video games? When I was a hormonal teen experiencing love and loss for the first time MGS3 really got me. Shadow of the Colossus also evoked various feels.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I've never played a CoD game. Is that a good one to play?

Surprised and somehow not surprised that Fall Guys is free.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Fix posted:

I've never played a CoD game. Is that a good one to play?

I don't mean this in any bad way but this is like asking "I've never eaten a sandwich, is egg mayo the best one"

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If you have ever played a military shooter in your life you have played call of duty modern warfare two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Shuhei Yoshida made an appearance in Devolver Digital's video conference a couple weeks ago, so it seems that Fall Guys debuting for free on Plus is a result of his new efforts leading the Sony Indies Initiative. Which is an exciting indicator for future things to come!