Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
A domain-joined desktop password change came in...

(The last couple of lines are not edited or redacted, they are exactly in the email my wife received after the attempt)

RON HOWARD VOICE: the password DID get set in the directory system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Who the gently caress is still using Novell in TYOOL 2020?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I hope DSERR_DUPLICATE_PASSWORD does not mean "some different user is already using the same password".

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

My favorite class of error is the kind that suggests they're passing cleartext passwords around on the backend

like one complexity dialog that said something like "forbidden characters: ', ), ;"

uuuhhhhh buddy are you doing a raw SQL insert of this password

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

MJP posted:

A domain-joined desktop password change came in...

(The last couple of lines are not edited or redacted, they are exactly in the email my wife received after the attempt)

RON HOWARD VOICE: the password DID get set in the directory system.

Lmfao Novell.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Mustache Ride posted:

We were using SunOne for a couple of services until early this year.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

nielsm posted:

I hope DSERR_DUPLICATE_PASSWORD does not mean "some different user is already using the same password".
it means the password is in the user's password history. based on the fact that it still changed the password it suggests they've managed to kludge their system so that it tries the reset multiple times.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Mustache Ride posted:

Oh god you would be surprised. I had a job at a former place that will go unnamed still using Novell and NOT actively looking to replace it.

Direct quote from head of IT at that org "Microsoft is the 800 pound gorilla in the email world. Everyone will try to exploit Exchange and we can just sneak by cheaply with Novell!". I tried to explain that security through obscurity is generally frowned upon but he choose to ignore that bit of wisdom.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

it means the password is in the user's password history. based on the fact that it still changed the password it suggests they've managed to kludge their system so that it tries the reset multiple times.

I once had to manage a system where you could have two users with the same user name, as long as they had different passwords.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Data Graham posted:

My favorite class of error is the kind that suggests they're passing cleartext passwords around on the backend

like one complexity dialog that said something like "forbidden characters: ', ), ;"

uuuhhhhh buddy are you doing a raw SQL insert of this password

That's not all that uncommon and can easily be accomplished without the password being stored in plain text. Basically think of it like "the hashing function used will fail if it has any of those particular characters in it, either by design or because the hashing algorithm required for whatever device is poo poo." There's plenty of pieces of software that can't handle certain characters in passwords for various reasons that don't necessarily involve plain text password being stored anywhere.

I'm not saying it's great design or that this absolves all of them or anything, but it's hardly uncommon either.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

shortspecialbus posted:

That's not all that uncommon and can easily be accomplished without the password being stored in plain text. Basically think of it like "the hashing function used will fail if it has any of those particular characters in it, either by design or because the hashing algorithm required for whatever device is poo poo." There's plenty of pieces of software that can't handle certain characters in passwords for various reasons that don't necessarily involve plain text password being stored anywhere.

I'm not saying it's great design or that this absolves all of them or anything, but it's hardly uncommon either.

Maybe so, but if the only forbidden characters are the ones that you'd be filtering out to try to protect against Little Bobby Tables, I'm gonna be all hooooooboy.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

nielsm posted:

I once had to manage a system where you could have two users with the same user name, as long as they had different passwords.
This should be illegal in the state of Denmark, or something is truly rotten.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Mustache Ride posted:

They migrated my wife's workplace from Lotus Notes to Outlook just last year.

They pushed out an O365 install in the middle of the day on a Thursday.

The first step on company-made documentation to install some programs she and her department use is "1) Get local admin rights to your computer". The same documentation also walked the users through how to edit their hosts file and what to add/change for the program to work.

Her office is a 10 minute commute and I've told her that I will never, ever apply for a job with this company unless I had a written guarantee that I could flatten the IT department and start from scratch.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

nielsm posted:

Amazon.com?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

AlexDeGruven posted:

We were using SunOne for a couple of services until early this year.

‘Sup SunOne buddy.

I know more than one IVR whose core is built around SunOne. On Windows.

:getin:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

nielsm posted:

:gonk:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Guy Axlerod posted:

Amazon.com?

A national charity.
In fact I think two users could have both the same user name and password, in that case it would just log you in as a random one of them.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Geemer posted:

Now fix this one.

the nintendo clubhouse games version of this is called "Hit & Blow." not better

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

GroupWise is still currently being worked on and patched.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

nielsm posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

GreenNight posted:

GroupWise is still currently being worked on and patched.

Is it better now?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I don't know, we haven't run it in a decade.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

RFC2324 posted:

Is it better now?

LOL

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Look it's easy, you just "SELECT user_id FROM users WHERE username='" & Request.QueryString("username") & "' AND password='" & Request.QueryString("password") & "'" and store the first result in a cookie.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 27, 2020

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

New Boss^2 started today, and rumor mill has it that Boss^4 is out. So things might get rather interesting around the workplace for a while.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

nielsm posted:

Look it's easy, you just... store the first result in a cookie.

This made me laugh more than it should.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

My high school back in the 90s had a library system which accepted wildcards in the username field and would then just match whoever happened to have the password you entered. :v:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

dragonshardz posted:

New Boss^2 started today, and rumor mill has it that Boss^4 is out. So things might get rather interesting around the workplace for a while.

Jesus, how many layers of management do you have?

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Proteus Jones posted:

I "joked" at $job-1 that my father, as a civilian employee attached to the US Armed Forces, had less management steps between himself and the President of the United States than I did to our CEO.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Wizard of the Deep posted:

I "joked" at $job-1 that my father, as a civilian employee attached to the US Armed Forces, had less management steps between himself and the President of the United States than I did to our CEO.

fewer steps. fewer is for countable nouns. you have fewer steps.

:eng101:

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Methanar posted:

Counterpoint: Management is an uncountable, cancerous mass, describable only in non-euclidean terms. "Steps" is what our poor, mortal melons can handle.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

poo poo, my chain is my manager, our director, the local head of IT, the CEO.

The LHIT came to town with a "clean house" mandate from the CEO and when he moves on will probably be replaced by someone with an extra step to the CEO, but that'll still be hella short to the big boss.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Proteus Jones posted:

In order:

1. My direct boss, the Service Desk Supervisor
2. His boss, the Customer Services and Support Section Chief
3. Boss^3, the Chief Information Officer
4. Boss^4, the Agency Information Officer

After this it gets into executive hierarchy poo poo way beyond my ken that eventually terminates in the governor.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

It's basically me - (division) manager - CEO.

But :norway: is weird. Flat org structures are the norm here outside of really big companies.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Geemer posted:

Now fix this one.

It's already been fixed, ironically. We even have this thing at home.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Infrastructure engineering team lead
director of engineering
VP of cloud engineering
VP of something
CEO

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MJP posted:

They migrated my wife's workplace from Lotus Notes to Outlook just last year.

We're still using it though only for a few minor things, not for email. Though I did find out that I actually have a working email address on the domain of a predecessor company that hasn't existed since three mergers ago.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Wizard of the Deep posted:

This isn't too far out there; I am absolute bottom rung and you can get from me to the president in six steps, seven if you include the contracting company, but that's more parasitic than management.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jul 28, 2020

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Methanar posted:

:eng101: less posting. less posting is for you. you should post less.

i'm just kidding the thought of posting this made me laugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

random ticket posted:

big box of compuper things it in. What do.

help.

:hmmyes:

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 28, 2020