Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I think we would have saved a lot of person hours if, a long time ago, we decided that 'man' means 'person' and made guy the default for an adult male human.

But we didn't, and now we must reap what we had sown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
lol if your command has a boot color policy.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!

ManMythLegend posted:

lol if your command has a boot color policy.

Last CO didn't give a gently caress. Went with the Army policy of 'doesn't hurt your feet and is coyote brown or black 8" boot' and he was cool. He also wore Nikes and I wear Merrells.

New CO also doesn't care. New CMC though? He is loving mad that people have different boots. For once as XO I get to be the good guy and tell him to calm down. (The previous CMC completed the Triad boot rodeo and rocked his desert tan Belleville flight boots)

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

M_Gargantua posted:

Smarter Every Day posted the ICEX part two of him on the Submarine. Much better production and recording quality than i've seen from anything related to the Navy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXXMJAU6vY8

I'm sure it seems really rad if you've never been on a submarine.

That COB has his head directly planted inside the COs rear end :lol:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Geizkragen posted:

New CMC though? He is loving mad that people have different boots.

POH-LICE THEM BOOTS, ASSES!!!

LOOKIN' LIKE'UH BUNCHA ELVISES!

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Geizkragen posted:

Last CO didn't give a gently caress. Went with the Army policy of 'doesn't hurt your feet and is coyote brown or black 8" boot' and he was cool. He also wore Nikes and I wear Merrells.

New CO also doesn't care. New CMC though? He is loving mad that people have different boots. For once as XO I get to be the good guy and tell him to calm down. (The previous CMC completed the Triad boot rodeo and rocked his desert tan Belleville flight boots)

Whoa you're an XO now dude?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

My wee little command had a policy until the officers couldn’t be bothered to ever wear the required black.

However now the chiefs are holding our onesies back from us.

So sixth fleet area is all green. Wonder if that means liberty...

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Geizkragen posted:

My last XO before I got out wouldn't meet with detaching sailors because "all the complaints are the same".

I hope you're better.

It isn't hard, tbh.

(The complaints were all about the same HTCM George Rape i hope you die in a fire and they were hunting buddies)

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

LingcodKilla posted:

My wee little command had a policy until the officers couldn’t be bothered to ever wear the required black.

However now the chiefs are holding our onesies back from us.

So sixth fleet area is all green. Wonder if that means liberty...

Its a favor, until there's a fire; NWUs are far more comfortable than the Navy issue coveralls imo, especially when its wet and warm.

Until its warm enough to melt to your skin.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I’m so over wearing these drat pants strapped to my legs. Getting total swamp rear end. At least I’d get better air flow with the coveralls.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

This is certainly a doozy of an idea: https://www.navytimes.com/opinion/commentary/2020/07/25/opportunity-in-the-bonhomme-richard-disaster/

Takes a while to get to the point, but once it does...

:allears: :rolleyes:

"A ship's a ship, right? Even when you're dealing with a hyper-specialized stealth fighter that requires more than just a reinforced flight deck?" :downs:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jul 27, 2020

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Jeep carriers run by civmars with air detachment?

Uh sure why not.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Your engine room would have about 8 people in it. That's probably a pretty serious reduction in manpower unless they added a large amount of services and then it might go up to cruise ship manning?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Smaller carriers don't actually work that well unless you have dozens of them, and beyond a certain point you save nothing because it requires just as many men to run a flight deck for two planes as it does for a dozen. At least that's what the Royal Navy discovered trying to add Harrier operations capacity to destroyers and other surface ships in the wake of losing their carriers in the 70s. I doubt the situation has changed much since then.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jul 27, 2020

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Edit: nvm.

Hauldren Collider fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 27, 2020

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

piL posted:

Its a favor, until there's a fire; NWUs are far more comfortable than the Navy issue coveralls imo, especially when its wet and warm.

Until its warm enough to melt to your skin.

What? Poopy suits are way more comfortable

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Grip it and rip it posted:

What? Poopy suits are way more comfortable

The fire retardant ones I was issued practically came with holes in their pockets and moisture collectors in the crotch region. Bukwarks (issued later) on the other hand, were considerably more comfortable.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

This is certainly a doozy of an idea: https://www.navytimes.com/opinion/commentary/2020/07/25/opportunity-in-the-bonhomme-richard-disaster/

Takes a while to get to the point, but once it does...

:allears: :rolleyes:

"A ship's a ship, right? Even when you're dealing with a hyper-specialized stealth fighter that requires more than just a reinforced flight deck?" :downs:

Traditionally, Proceedings is where you air out the "crazy-rear end ideas by JO's and retirees that fall apart if you think about them for five minutes" category of articles. I guess NT is horning in on a piece of that action.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Madurai posted:

Traditionally, Proceedings is where you air out the "crazy-rear end ideas by JO's and retirees that fall apart if you think about them for five minutes" category of articles. I guess NT is horning in on a piece of that action.

I always enjoy reading the Letters to the Editor from some pissed off senior officer about how wrong an article is in their opinion.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Nick Soapdish posted:

I always enjoy reading the Letters to the Editor from some pissed off senior officer about how wrong an article is in their opinion.

Both ways that goes is pretty entertaining.

"Thanks for the deep well put together article, but the 20 hour workweek just won't work with our current manning construct."

- CAPT S. Officer, former CO USS BOAT

or

"You kids just want to solve all of your problems with hope and technology. Back in my day, we would just whip the lithographer until the forms were ready for every conscript to sign."

CDRE (ret.) O. Fogey, USNA class of 1911

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/CAFinUS/status/1287838193753235458

Forgot about the helicopter crash in April.

I still regret not swapping covers when we had crew from an HMCS ship over to watch US v. Canada hockey in 2010 off Haiti

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Madurai posted:

Yeah, I remember reading Proceedings as early as age 12 and being all :swoon: at the pictures and pie-in-the-sky articles. Now that I'm doing *actual* analysis it's straight up :what: and :cripes:.

I guess that's their target audience: crazy-rear end JOs and retirees...and 12 year old military nerds.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, I remember reading Proceedings as early as age 12 and being all :swoon: at the pictures and pie-in-the-sky articles. Now that I'm doing *actual* analysis it's straight up :what: and :cripes:.

I guess that's their target audience: crazy-rear end JOs and retirees...and 12 year old military nerds.

god, reading Proceedings at age 12 :negative:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

orange juche posted:

My favorite book in Kindergarten was my father's 1983-84 edition of Jane's All the World's Aircraft.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The possibility and eventual execution of writing an article for Proceedings for everyone to ignore as an alternative to stark lunacy keeps the muder-suicide standoff rate of motivated people chained by an uncaring inflexible system bulwarked by incomprehensible inertia and at odds with the sociological and technological changes of the last four decades, at a level that supports sustainable force levels.

Behind every, "let's network everything in the Navy with lasers suspended from baloons" is a Sailor getting yelled at for not logging into a website to prove to the Navy that they still live where the Navy ordered them to live, and that they are still alone.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

piL posted:

<X> keeps the muder-suicide standoff rate of motivated people chained by an uncaring inflexible system bulwarked by incomprehensible inertia and at odds with the sociological and technological changes of the last four decades at a level that supports sustainable force levels.

I am in love with this sentence.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

My Proceedings kept winding up delivered to the wardroom because no one could possibly believe that a blueshirt subscribed to it.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!

vulturesrow posted:

Whoa you're an XO now dude?

Yeah I volunteered to replace the guy who left for command because I couldn't deal with another terrible boss for my last year in. Been doing it for over a year. My wife is ready for me to be done. She hates me trying to be everybody's dad all the time. I will miss all of my sailors. They've really made this a great command, especially with the covid nonsense. The CMC was adamant at first that E6 and below couldn't telework but guess what: no disciplinary issues, nobody getting fat without group PT, and our little part of the Navy's work keeps getting done.

It's incredible what happens when you have a CO that really delegates authority to the lowest possible level, a chief's mess that really trains and mentors and sailors who feel like they're heard and contributing. In a loving shore command where you are expecting all the limdu and legal garbage to wash up.

I start terminal leave Friday afternoon, retirement in a couple months. I'll miss this command but gently caress the navy.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Geizkragen posted:

Yeah I volunteered to replace the guy who left for command because I couldn't deal with another terrible boss for my last year in. Been doing it for over a year. My wife is ready for me to be done. She hates me trying to be everybody's dad all the time. I will miss all of my sailors. They've really made this a great command, especially with the covid nonsense. The CMC was adamant at first that E6 and below couldn't telework but guess what: no disciplinary issues, nobody getting fat without group PT, and our little part of the Navy's work keeps getting done.

It's incredible what happens when you have a CO that really delegates authority to the lowest possible level, a chief's mess that really trains and mentors and sailors who feel like they're heard and contributing. In a loving shore command where you are expecting all the limdu and legal garbage to wash up.

I start terminal leave Friday afternoon, retirement in a couple months. I'll miss this command but gently caress the navy.

Question about the PT, are most base gyms even open at this point? I would imagine the small gyms on all the deployed vessels are still in operation, but am curious to know to what extent the bases have been impacted by covid. I imagine the NEX and commissary are pretty stringent on mask requirements? I can't imagine there would be too many vocal troublemakers there, but you never know.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Question about the PT, are most base gyms even open at this point? I would imagine the small gyms on all the deployed vessels are still in operation, but am curious to know to what extent the bases have been impacted by covid. I imagine the NEX and commissary are pretty stringent on mask requirements? I can't imagine there would be too many vocal troublemakers there, but you never know.

Can't talk about CONUS, but the base I'm on has dispersed gym that's open. You have to sign in for contact tracing purposes. They're only allowing 20 or so people in at a time. Each set of equipment is about 15 feet apart with a 6 ft radius marked off around them. You're not allowed to leave your space while using the equipment, and you're not allowed to pull equipment from other spaces (like free weights, etc.). You're required to wipe down everything you touch before and after use. You have to maintain social distancing, and no entering a space someone else is in.

From what I've seen people are pretty diligent. But I'm waiting for the explosion to hit.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Geizkragen posted:

Congrats!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

orange juche posted:

Hell, I was reading it at age 8. Strictly for the photos and the section called "The Old Navy".

Madurai posted:

My Proceedings kept winding up delivered to the wardroom because no one could possibly believe that a blueshirt subscribed to it.

ahahaha

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

It also helped that they delivered it to the NAS 1 Library at Sigonella, and had back issues. They had all the most recent Jane's books, too.

Being a kid on an overseas base before the internet was a hell of an experience. I thought I'd hate it, but it was great.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I can’t get through most Proceedings articles I’ve come into contact with, and I get Seaways delivered to my house.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
They've definitely gotten worse over the decades.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

My copy of Workboat still goes to my house labeled COAST GUARD STA and my home address nowhere near a station.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Elendil004 posted:

My copy of Workboat still goes to my house labeled COAST GUARD STA and my home address nowhere near a station.

Workboat is so :911: it’s endearing.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
my roommate subscribes to Proceedings. His goal is STA-21 and to drive boats. Proceedings sure has a specific demographic alright.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
lol at Proceedings chat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

ManMythLegend posted:

lol at Proceedings chat.

What issue was your article in?