Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

all of the red cards here are revised except the shivan dragon which is unlimited, right? the coloring is deeper on the shivan so I want to make sure it is actually unlimited and not another revised card.

wow, those look immaculate. I don't have physical cards anymore but mine definitely looked way rougher than that like 20 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

So what are the odds that Zulaport Cutthroat gets a reprint in Zendikar Jones and The Last Crusade?

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Silhouette posted:

So what are the odds that Zulaport Cutthroat gets a reprint in Zendikar Jones and The Last Crusade?

Zero if the new party mechanic is moving away from Allies.
Probably 20% if Allies is still going to be a thing? I dunno. How much time do you think they had after Cat Food was found before they had to finalize the Return to Zendikar Island card list? Because I can't imagine them willingly doing a Zulaport reprint into the same standard with an already-existing sac engine that potent.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Entropic posted:

You're correct, the dragon is Unlimited.

A good way to tell is to look at the artist credit line. In Revised, the artist credit is bottom-justified against the lower edge of the card frame; in Unlimited it's centred between the textbox and the bottom of the frame.

Another interesting thing about revised cards is that the card frame is not bevelled whereas unlimited, edgar and fourth all were. Not something you can really see in your picture but it's easy to see in person. Take a look at the scryfall page https://scryfall.com/search?as=grid&order=released&q=%21%22Shivan+Dragon%22&unique=prints

Edit - just the outer border of the card frame. The art and text boxes were still bevelled.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Set boosters sound like a great idea, that one seems like much more pleasant lottery pack to buy when passing through a LGS.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

fatherboxx posted:

Set boosters sound like a great idea, that one seems like much more pleasant lottery pack to buy when passing through a LGS.

Or just better even prizes.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

lol just lol (lmao) if you still haven't processed that this is just an attempt to raise the default booster price by 20-25%

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

set boosters are for rich people because you're pretty clearly supposed to buy 1000 at a time for that .0000213 chance at a fetch land or whatever.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Fetch lands are not in them, they already announced it.

Katana Gomai posted:

lol just lol (lmao) if you still haven't processed that this is just an attempt to raise the default booster price by 20-25%

That would mean something if they were also discontinuing 4$ boosters, but they ain't.

Like poo poo, there are so many thing you should be laughing at WoTC for, but a 5$ booster that is not meant to be drafted is not one of them.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Paul Zuvella posted:

That would mean something if they were also discontinuing 4$ boosters, but they ain't.

Like poo poo, there are so many thing you should be laughing at WoTC for, but a 5$ booster that is not meant to be drafted is not one of them.

The point is that they are obviously positioning these as the "default" SKU, and they're 20% more expensive than what used to be the norm. They could have added art cards and "the list" to Draft boosters at zero extra cost to make the product more desirable, but they didn't. The entire "Project Booster Fun" has been about creating specialty boosters for whales and nerds while removing value from Draft boosters and this is just another step in that direction. In the end, the "value" to the custumer will be the same because of course WotC does the math re:booster content EV, so all this accomplishes is getting someone to pay $10 for two "better" boosters instead of $8 for two "useless" ones.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Can I just say I love how the Set Booster has a 25% of having a card in it that is not part of the set?

At least they didn't call them Mythic Boosters.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

GimmickMan posted:

Can I just say I love how the Set Booster has a 25% of having a card in it that is not part of the set?

At least they didn't call them Mythic Boosters.

calling it "the list" is the most hilariously pretentious thing they could have done and it's amazing marketing let that get out the door

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
It's like they aren't even trying anymore. Double masters. The List. They sound like placeholder names.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I got mildly excited for a second when I saw "the list" until I realised it wasn't in reference to the reserved list.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Katana Gomai posted:

The point is that they are obviously positioning these as the "default" SKU, and they're 20% more expensive than what used to be the norm. They could have added art cards and "the list" to Draft boosters at zero extra cost to make the product more desirable, but they didn't. The entire "Project Booster Fun" has been about creating specialty boosters for whales and nerds while removing value from Draft boosters and this is just another step in that direction. In the end, the "value" to the custumer will be the same because of course WotC does the math re:booster content EV, so all this accomplishes is getting someone to pay $10 for two "better" boosters instead of $8 for two "useless" ones.

Yeah, people keep acting like a bunch of Caucasians are just mad that someone else gets something when the real issue has always been that draft booster value has been essentially destroyed by collectors boosters and now set boosters. There's nothing of value you can open anymore besides the top one or two cards per set. Foils add basically no premium either.

Cool shoes

LeafHouse fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jul 27, 2020

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

There is a real downside in constantly making and pushing product who just "isn't for you" but actively shouts "THIS ISN'T FOR YOU" that I think people are ignoring. Players have been complaining about being priced out for decades even if they never played competitively. Even if this stuff doesn't limit access to game pieces people don't like feeling left out not to mention that the history of a collectibles company constantly pushing out rare special bonus foil alternate bullshit has in the past been a precursor to bad and not good things. There's plenty to talk about regarding this new business strategy and its kinda lame to just wave it away about how its nerds complaining about something that "isn't for them" and trying to post some sweet owns about peoples privilege.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Katana Gomai posted:

They could have added art cards and "the list" to Draft boosters at zero extra cost to make the product more desirable, but they didn't. The entire "Project Booster Fun" has been about creating specialty boosters for whales and nerds while removing value from Draft boosters and this is just another step in that direction.

Putting the list cards in draft boosters would completely gently caress up draft so no leave your weirdo goofbag constructed cards out of the one good format thanks.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Breakfast Sampler posted:

wow, those look immaculate. I don't have physical cards anymore but mine definitely looked way rougher than that like 20 years ago.
yeah I'm also surprised at the condition of these largely being LP or better, but I think just from years of sitting in a shoebox getting jostled against each other slightly a lot of them have some surface wear of some sort even if they don't seem to have been played much. Much of the box is unfortunately land cards, though I did find a Copy Artifact in there and a bunch of basic rares like lord of the pit and the like.

Dysgenesis posted:

Another interesting thing about revised cards is that the card frame is not bevelled whereas unlimited, edgar and fourth all were. Not something you can really see in your picture but it's easy to see in person. Take a look at the scryfall page https://scryfall.com/search?as=grid&order=released&q=%21%22Shivan+Dragon%22&unique=prints

Edit - just the outer border of the card frame. The art and text boxes were still bevelled.
Interesting, bouncing back and forth between these two, it's extremely apparent:

https://scryfall.com/card/3ed/177/shivan-dragon
https://scryfall.com/card/2ed/175/shivan-dragon

the beveled style is much better, while revised is almost gross and washed out. like, the revised cards I'm flipping through right now all LOOK like they have wear and tear even if they're mostly in great shape because of the weird washed out-ness. having the bevel also just makes the card look better style-wise. neat to look back and compare them, and it's a shame they didn't stick with the unlimited colorings, I like that shade of red more than what they went with.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

LeafHouse posted:

the real issue has always been that draft booster value has been essentially destroyed by collectors boosters and now set boosters. There's nothing of value you can open anymore besides the top one or two cards per set. Foils add basically no premium either.

Unless you're a speculator or have to have the rarest premium stuff, how is the value destroyed? If anything, wouldn't it be a net positive for most people if the non-premium cards all went down in value? I mean, if your goal is to put together a deck to play with, driving down the value of "normal" rares/mythics is good.

(I'm not suggesting WotC has players best interest in mind, just confused about your "value" issue).

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Crackbone posted:

Unless you're a speculator or have to have the rarest premium stuff, how is the value destroyed? If anything, wouldn't it be a net positive for most people if the non-premium cards all went down in value? I mean, if your goal is to put together a deck to play with, driving down the value of "normal" rares/mythics is good.

(I'm not suggesting WotC has players best interest in mind, just confused about your "value" issue).

Driving down the value of the cards you open in draft makes draft net more expensive to play.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Jabor posted:

Driving down the value of the cards you open in draft makes draft net more expensive to play.

If you are drafting for value, you are doing It wrong.

Also, the idea I'm getting from this discussion is that what people really from the reprint of expensive cards is not to reduce their prices to dust but to open them in boosters, boxes and drafts while keeping them expensive.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 27, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/saffronolive/status/1287739768839774208?s=21

Apparently Ikoria is the best selling Spring set of all time! But we don’t really know what that means!

Also apparently 2.5 billion games were played on Arena in Q1. THaTs... bogglesome lmao

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Crackbone posted:

Jabor posted:

This. Plus, reducing the value of draft packs pushes people into buying more expensive Set/Collectors packs if they want to have a shot at opening something interesting.

I'm not so sure the barrier to entry to constructed is much lower. It feels like all the value is condensed into the top few mythics. I might dig into historic deck prices vs now and see how it compares. At a glance the most expensive deck was ~$400 during 2017 with most around $250. Right now bant is $600 with several more between $450 and $550 (Rakdos, Mono R and Mono G being the budget options).

https://web.archive.org/web/20171026184421/https://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/standard#paper

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv

Captain Invictus posted:

yeah I'm also surprised at the condition of these largely being LP or better, but I think just from years of sitting in a shoebox getting jostled against each other slightly a lot of them have some surface wear of some sort even if they don't seem to have been played much. Much of the box is unfortunately land cards, though I did find a Copy Artifact in there and a bunch of basic rares like lord of the pit and the like

what sets are the lands from

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

Apparently Ikoria is the best selling Spring set of all time! But we don’t really know what that means!

Also apparently 2.5 billion games were played on Arena in Q1. THaTs... bogglesome lmao

I wonder how many years from the release of alpha it took for there to be 10B total games of magic played.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

What the hell, at 5 minutes a game that's 23,782 years of Magic played...

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

the idea of the set boosters is not a terrible one, in that "why are we forcing all boosters to be useable for draft if many people do not want to draft with them?"

the implementation...leaves something to be desired...both the extra cost and the brazen increase of the gambling aspects

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

kalvanoo posted:

what sets are the lands from
it's all Revised, with a sprinkling of...Fallen Empires and The Dark, weirdly. so there was a single Unlimited card(shivan), like 20 The Dark cards, maybe 40 Fallen Empires, and about 500 Revised.

There was a second shoebox with a bunch of yugioh cards in it that I have literally zero idea about, and I glanced in there and there's a stack of magic cards, so guess I'll flip through those. I love digging through stuff like these and not knowing what decade anything will be from, though sitting on top are these "archenemy" oversized MTG cards that look like the old Vanguard cards wizards tried out ages ago with...I want to say Tempest or Stronghold maybe? Those were absolutely nuts. Gerrard made your max and starting hand size 3, but you drew two cards a turn. Another one doubled your starting life and let you...I think it was sacrifice creatures for mana? interesting idea but they killed it super fast.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I'm not sure how you'd make pack opening more 'exciting' without upping the gambling aspect. Pre-mythics at least, when you bought a pack you got what you paid for. There was the 'money rare or not' aspect, but, while they intentionally pushed some cards and unpushed others, Wizards didn't have enough control over the meta to set how many of the rares in a pack were money rares. Mythics moved away from this and I have nothing to defend them, but the extra dollar is literally a scratch-off that you'll even get anything for it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ok so there are:

Draft Boosters ($3.99): Traditionally what most of us think of as a Booster pack, 15 cards and a token/marketing card.

New SET Boosters ($5-6?): 14 cards, an “art” card, and a token, with an explicit focus on THEMES within a set.

Theme Boosters ($15): a 35 card booster pack that focuses on a specific color and that color’s themes in that set. I’ve never seen or heard of anyone buying these.

Collector’s Boosters ($25): A premium 15 card booster pack with additional foils and mythics featuring alternate artwork or frames.

VIP Boosters ($99): 33 cards, 2 tokens, all foil except for 10 of the lands, which are simply full art. The fact that they can’t even give you all foil basics is especially WTF...

I think that’s all the different boosties there are atm?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Didn't we get a new IK or something for this thread? If I ask nicely, will you morons post better without the mods having to demand it? jfc

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

VIP boosters are Double Masters only, right?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
How in gods name did Ikoria sell at best-ever levels when it came out during a period when paper magic basically doesn’t exist?

I’ve yet to touch a single physical Ikoria or M21 card.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Aight finally made diamond this morning after a failed miserable weekend slog, tell me how to make my pile of cards better.

e: Visual version:

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 27, 2020

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Some Goon posted:

VIP boosters are Double Masters only, right?

So far, yeah.

sit on my Facebook posted:

Didn't we get a new IK or something for this thread? If I ask nicely, will you morons post better without the mods having to demand it? jfc

IK?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Entropic posted:

How in gods name did Ikoria sell at best-ever levels when it came out during a period when paper magic basically doesn’t exist?

I’ve yet to touch a single physical Ikoria or M21 card.

People bought booster boxes to support their FLGS. more or less.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

This thread is super tame, I have no idea what you're on about

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Idiot Kings

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Maybe I just woke up on the wrong side of the bed, it just seems to me that this thread is one of the worst offenders for Posting About Posting, which is like my least favorite thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Maybe I just woke up on the wrong side of the bed, it just seems to me that this thread is one of the worst offenders for Posting About Posting, which is like my least favorite thing

So your move to correct this was to parachute into a conversation that wasn’t about posting and try to steer it in that direction? Fascinating.