Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

spankmeister posted:

Years ago I bought a Pine 64 board, and that experience cured me from ever wanting to buy another Pine product ever again. Their support is nonexistent, especially after the kickstarter was over. Shocking I know.

This is an open source project. there’s nothing stopping you from reading the traces on the pcb and fixing the problem yourself with a soldering iron :smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
How does macOS somehow have worse trackpad palm detection than Linux

Have Apple just completely stopped giving a poo poo lately or..?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

spankmeister posted:

Years ago I bought a Pine 64 board, and that experience cured me from ever wanting to buy another Pine product ever again. Their support is nonexistent, especially after the kickstarter was over. Shocking I know.

"heres the bsp go away" is the standard in embedded support unless you are paying a bunch in a support contract

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Sapozhnik posted:

it doesnt hth

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sapozhnik posted:

your touchpad just isn't responding at all under linux hope this helps

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
ah I see, so I'm just holding it wrong. Got it.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

libinput owns

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Sapozhnik posted:

sorry we didn't praise your choice of computer i guess

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Sapozhnik posted:

maybe you just aren’t cut out for macs. it’s fine, most people aren’t. I’m sure it’s not too late to get you a nice comfortable dell instead.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
sadly I am forced to use a mac for work :(

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sapozhnik posted:

:owned:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sapozhnik posted:

how is life in the circus anyway?

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Sapozhnik posted:

so put linux on it

intel macs (except for the original core duo macbook) have standard uefi implementations and can run linux natively without any stuff like bootcamp or similar, dont put up with mac os for a second longer than you have to

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

encouraging self harm is banned in yospos

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

not like they are encouraging him to run gentoo on that mac

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Lysidas posted:

so put linux on it

intel macs (except for the original core duo macbook) have standard uefi implementations and can run linux natively without any stuff like bootcamp or similar, dont put up with mac os for a second longer than you have to

i'm a dude running gentoo, and i would never suggest running linux on a macbook if you don't have one of those unicorn setups that actually works. apple do everything in their power to make linux work as badly as possible on their machines

you can make that joke about sound on linux if you try it on a recent mac

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

PCjr sidecar posted:

encouraging self harm is banned in yospos

sir, you are posting in the Linux thread

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Tankakern posted:

i'm a dude running gentoo, and i would never suggest running linux on a macbook if you don't have one of those unicorn setups that actually works. apple do everything in their power to make linux work as badly as possible on their machines

you can make that joke about sound on linux if you try it on a recent mac

apple doesn't actively make things not work, they just build hardware that works for their purposes and don't really care about what other people want to do with it. if you want a linux laptop, get a lenovo where it is officially supported. they're the only non-apple laptops worth touching anyways

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

not true, they do everything as custom and unavailable-firmware-having as possible

it took years before their thunderbolt stack was remotely working on linux. it didnt look like anything else out there, and intel was contractually forbidden from upstreaming the driver to linux

pram
Jun 10, 2001
it runs in a vm on macos. what else do you need?

oh... you mean, using desktop linux. haha lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
why would you run a separate linux in a vm instead of just using osx directly?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Tankakern posted:

not true, they do everything as custom and unavailable-firmware-having as possible

it took years before their thunderbolt stack was remotely working on linux. it didnt look like anything else out there, and intel was contractually forbidden from upstreaming the driver to linux

none of this proves they did it purposefully with the goal of making linux hard to get working

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shaggar posted:

why would you run a separate linux in a vm instead of just using osx directly?
OS X isn't a real linux like Windows.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
osx is a real 100% linux. the linux subsystem of windows is a vm or emulation

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shaggar posted:

WSL2 is emulation but it's running a normal linux kernel and has 100% compatibility with normal linux software. WSL1 isn't perfect but it's binary compatible runs normal, unmodified linux software.

OS X is a bsd derivative with weird old versions of software. You have to specially compile software for it and it's probably not worth bothering at this point.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Shaggar posted:

Osx is bsd, not linux, and was forked a long time ago. You can't write modern bash scripts in it, for instance, since it uses an ancient version of bash that doesn't support things like long-opts.

Windows is a better linux than osx

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

"THIS time i will convince shaggar that os x is not linux. i will do it."

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

carry on then posted:

I think at this point its about windows being a linux

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think the gimmick is pretending not to understand that BSD and linux are different.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

carry on then posted:

arguing with shaggar is like trying to change the mind of a climate change denialist: you can present all of the evidence you want, but it's ultimately futile

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

mystes posted:

OS X is a bsd derivative with weird old versions of software. You have to specially compile software for it and it's probably not worth bothering at this point.

because apple is deathly allergic to the gpl v3

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

mystes posted:

I think the gimmick is pretending not to understand that BSD and linux are different.

i'm surprised that people still don't understand shaggar in tyoot 2020.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
edge becoming a chrome is foreshadowing windows becoming a linux

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

isnt it open source already?

thats all linux is

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

RFC2324 posted:

Osx is bsd, not linux, and was forked a long time ago. You can't write modern bash scripts in it, for instance, since it uses an ancient version of bash that doesn't support things like long-opts.

Windows is a better linux than osx

the big reason you can't consider osx a linux (though i understand shaggar's points) is that it doesn't have the stability you get with linux and windows

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Beamed posted:

the big reason you can't consider osx a linux (though i understand shaggar's points) is that it doesn't have the stability you get with linux and windows

yeah its an unstable fork of linux, but still a linux.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

carry on then posted:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I've never actually seen this gimmick explored

is solaris a linux, or is it just bsd? how about hp-ux?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yes. those are all linuxes