Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

sit on my Facebook posted:

Maybe I just woke up on the wrong side of the bed, it just seems to me that this thread is one of the worst offenders for Posting About Posting, which is like my least favorite thing

Is this posting inception?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Bust Rodd posted:

https://twitter.com/saffronolive/status/1287739768839774208?s=21

Apparently Ikoria is the best selling Spring set of all time! But we don’t really know what that means!

Also apparently 2.5 billion games were played on Arena in Q1. THaTs... bogglesome lmao

18% growth of your online service during covid lockdown is a horrible number that you should hide in shame. Considering how low your starting base is even with nothing else going on that is a horrendous number. I am shocked. Paper play basically went to zero and your marquee online service clearly did not pick up the slack.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
When do Zendikar Rising previews start?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

18% growth of your online service during covid lockdown is a horrible number that you should hide in shame. Considering how low your starting base is even with nothing else going on that is a horrendous number. I am shocked. Paper play basically went to zero and your marquee online service clearly did not pick up the slack.

I too would expect a higher growth considering the pandemic , but mtg arena is expensive and its not a great time for most of the population to spend that kind of dough.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Also not everyone who likes to play magic owns or can even afford a computer that runs arena

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Listen, I am a single innocent raindrop and you cannot convince me that I am responsible for the flood :colbert:

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

March is part of Q1.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Best selling is vague enough to not know what it means. Is that aggregate $ including collector's boosters? Or is it just total packs solid, including packs sold for 100g in arena and earned through the collector's pass?

2.5 billion is a pretty good number though. That's 10 million people playing 250 games, or more realistically 25 million people playing 100 games.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I work with a bunch of very well paid Engineers who haven't bothered buying into Arena because it doesn't support Commander or Modern/Legacy, and I know even more people who haven't bought in because the thing they enjoy most about Magic is the social aspect and actually playing with physical cards. 18% seems low but I think it's fairly reasonable considering how lovely Standard has been.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Arena chugs like mad, so I'd buy the hardware argument, but Arena is vastly cheaper than paper if you do have a computer. You can't re-sell cards, which is why WotC loves it, but I can jam half a dozen or more different top tier archetypes for less than a single deck's mana base normally costs in standard. It would be no trouble at all to maintain one or two competitive decks without spending anything.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

No Wave posted:

Best selling is vague enough to not know what it means. Is that aggregate $ including collector's boosters? Or is it just total packs solid, including packs sold for 100g in arena and earned through the collector's pass?

2.5 billion is a pretty good number though. That's 10 million people playing 250 games, or more realistically 25 million people playing 100 games.

It takes two people to play a game. Some napkin math says it would be about 18.5M players playing an average of three games per day. No telling how many games the average player plays though. I went with three because that's what their quest design implies.

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 27, 2020

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Mezzanon posted:

I’m pretty sure I have a core 21 pre-release code if you need it
I would love it if you still have it!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Typically arena players break after their first, fourth, or 15th win of the day

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Bust Rodd posted:

Typically arena players break after their first, fourth, or 15th win of the day

You have no proof of that, I sincerely doubt 15 wins is one of the typical break points, that’s a lot of fuckin magic

I’m actually curious what the distribution looks like

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
An absolute gently caress load of people only interact with MtG through Arena, playing 2-3 hours of Arena a day is not as hard as you may think, especially if you used to be a grinder.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Yes but it’s easier to play less time and gets easier the lower you go towards 0 so Id still expect most common wins per day to go 1,2,3 etc

You say I underestimate grinders but you’re underestimating the vast majority of arena players who can only squeeze in 15 mins of play

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I probably launched Arena 350 days out of the last 365, and I hit 15 wins maybe twice in that span. My play pattern is probably more like, "play as long as it takes to finish my quest, win as many games as I happen to win."

I have to feel like I represent a much MUCH greater slice of playstyle than anything other than, "logs in once a week, goes 1-5 with the all uncommons deck I googled, buys a pack with gold, logs off."

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
barf, the shoebox full of cards that I hadn't gone through was a total bust for magic cards. I saw the archenemy cards and an island in there and figured there was more, but nope, that was it. buncha pamphlets from a variety of magic sets but I guess those cards were in another box that wasn't at the yard sale.

like a thousand yugioh cards though, including a bunch of things like blue eyes white dragon that I remember from the show/infinite memes, but I know almost literally nothing about the card game beyond the show

change my username to Lord of D

this yugioh poo poo is like if every set was half Unglued. and the design of the card borders makes every single card look damaged. ew.

Entropic posted:

How in gods name did Ikoria sell at best-ever levels when it came out during a period when paper magic basically doesn’t exist?

I’ve yet to touch a single physical Ikoria or M21 card.
people are definitely buying them anyways despite the quarantines and business closures, and in large quantities to boot:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Magic-Core-Set-2021-M21-Booster-Box-MTG-NEW-FACTORY-SEALED/274429140149
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MTG-MAGIC-THE-GATHERING-CORE-SET-2021-NEW-FACTORY-SEALED-box-36-packs-Ships-NOW/293608767905
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MTG-Core-Set-2021-Collector-s-Booster-Box-Factory-Sealed/333638343620
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Magic-Core-Set-2021-M21-Collector-Booster-Box-12-Packs-MTG-SEALED-PRESALE-7-3/184282020184

there was another for core 2021 booster boxes that had 1100+ sold. it looks like core 2021 booster boxes are shooting up in price too, for weeks they were 85ish and now the cheapest ones are like 110.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Prof just did an awesome podcast comparing and contrasting MTG to Yu-Gi-Oh and it was one of the better ways I spent an hour in the last couple weeks. It’s bizarre but I came away from it with a new appreciation for the relative transparency we have with WotC, compared to Konami, who never says Jack poo poo to their players and certainly don’t have anything like front facing personalities like MaRo

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

sit on my Facebook posted:

Didn't we get a new IK or something for this thread? If I ask nicely, will you morons post better without the mods having to demand it? jfc

I'm here. I was very busy this weekend and I'm just catching up on threads, but I have bookmarked this one.

I gather that the culture in this thread is somewhat aggressive/poo poo-talking, and I'm loathe to come in with iron boots and stomp all over a community's culture. Also the mods let me know if a thread is generating reports and I haven't gotten a notification about this one, so at the very least, you guys don't seem to be mashing the report button much.

That said: normal SA rules, and the rules of TG, still apply here. Please don't be total assholes to each other? Even if the thread culture is to kind of go at each other a lot. I understand there's some controversy about the latest product positioning decisions from Wizards of the Coast... you can all discuss your own opinions about how good or stupid those are without accusing each other of being racists or idiots or company shills or whatever.

So: sit on my Facebook, instead of threatening the thread with telling on them, just go ahead and tell on them, that's less likely to generate or continue a derail about posting about posting about posting. The rest of you, do what sit on my Facebook said anyway and post better, thanks.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
For the record the only people who like the culture of being aggressive assholes are the five or so people who post like aggressive assholes and everyone else wishes they were just shut the gently caress up and talk about magic

The other two magic threads are good and have maybe 1/10 the attitude between them that this thread generates in a regular day and the only real difference between this thread and those threads are those five or six people who just post like that in here it’s SOOOOO WEIRD.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

fadam posted:

I work with a bunch of very well paid Engineers who haven't bothered buying into Arena because it doesn't support Commander or Modern/Legacy, and I know even more people who haven't bought in because the thing they enjoy most about Magic is the social aspect and actually playing with physical cards. 18% seems low but I think it's fairly reasonable considering how lovely Standard has been.
This is more or less my exact situation. I have had zero interested in Standard since it was good (so... years), and eternal formats are all I really bothered playing before I sold my physical collection. Most of my pals, similarly, only have eyes for eternal formats (e.g. Commander, Modern, and of course, cube). I got into Arena briefly for awhile, but quickly lost interest because although it's flashy and new the formats suck nuggets. I mostly only log back onto arena when cool eternal format events (like historic cube) are up to win-streak and chain-play.

Should Arena every actually support eternal formats proper (unlikely), I'm sure it'll see a huge influx of players. As-is, I can't say I'm surprised at their nominal growth during the pandemic, because they're not broadly catering to their audience with their digital products.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

fadam posted:

I know even more people who haven't bought in because the thing they enjoy most about Magic is the social aspect and actually playing with physical cards. 18% seems low but I think it's fairly reasonable considering how lovely Standard has been.

This is where I'm at, I don't enjoy playing magic digitally, I like having a beer or four and joking around with friends at events. Playing against an avatar that only engages with you through speech bubbles or text chat isn't fun for me at all, so I've just played like 95% less magic lately.

Edit: Every couple months I'll try some standard deck, play Arena for maybe a week and remind myself that it's not fun, basically.

Cactrot fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 27, 2020

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

Bust Rodd posted:

Ok so there are:

Draft Boosters ($3.99): Traditionally what most of us think of as a Booster pack, 15 cards and a token/marketing card.

New SET Boosters ($5-6?): 14 cards, an “art” card, and a token, with an explicit focus on THEMES within a set.

Theme Boosters ($15): a 35 card booster pack that focuses on a specific color and that color’s themes in that set. I’ve never seen or heard of anyone buying these.

Collector’s Boosters ($25): A premium 15 card booster pack with additional foils and mythics featuring alternate artwork or frames.

VIP Boosters ($99): 33 cards, 2 tokens, all foil except for 10 of the lands, which are simply full art. The fact that they can’t even give you all foil basics is especially WTF...

I think that’s all the different boosties there are atm?

Theme boosters have way too many cards in them to be called boosters imo. Call them theme kits or something.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Set Booster is a horrible name that does nothing to describe the contents or differentiate it from other boosters.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Cactrot posted:

This is where I'm at, I don't enjoy playing magic digitally, I like having a beer or four and joking around with friends at events. Playing against an avatar that only engages with you through speech bubbles or text chat isn't fun for me at all, so I've just played like 95% less magic lately.

Edit: Every couple months I'll try some standard deck, play Arena for maybe a week and remind myself that it's not fun, basically.

Sounds like what you actually enjoy is friends and beer and whatever else you're doing doesn't actually matter.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

whydirt posted:

Set Booster is a horrible name that does nothing to describe the contents or differentiate it from other boosters.

Those should probably be called Collector Boosters and the $25 things like Premium or VIP booster or something. Too late now though.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

whydirt posted:

Yeah but they don't want to cap to calling them "Streamer Boosters."

No joke I will probably watch 3-4 videos of people opening Set Boosters on youtube like some Grocery Haul enthusiast sicko.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

Baller Ina posted:

Theme boosters have way too many cards in them to be called boosters imo. Call them theme kits or something.

Considering that they have roughly double the cards, I propose calling them Double Boosters

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
It was originally planned for Amonkhet, there were going to be Horus and Osiris boosters too

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

nrook posted:

It was originally planned for Amonkhet, there were going to be Horus and Osiris boosters too

:golfclap:

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

nrook posted:

Isis boosters would’ve gone great in my death corona edh deck

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

if there was a Bast booster I might actually be tempted to get back into Magic after like 20 years of not really playing

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Lone Goat posted:

Sounds like what you actually enjoy is friends and beer and whatever else you're doing doesn't actually matter.

I mean I enjoy the social aspects of attending events as much as playing in the events themselves, removing the in-person aspect of the game lessens my enjoyment.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
ah. well. I found the magic cards. they were in another box, under the box that had the shoebox of yugioh cards. I've been cleaning lately, as you can tell.

time to get digging, I suppose. grabbed a handful and there's 9th edition, some icon that looks like a candle, nemesis, a shuriken icon, revised, 4th edition, an icicle icon, mercadian masques, a lantern-looking icon, two different types of fancy 3-point star set icons, an hourglass icon, a scales icon, basically a big ol' melting pot of different sets mixed together it looks like.

hopefully folks don't mind these sorts of posts.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Physically shuffling your deck and tapping your lands and activating your creatures feels better than clicking a mouse 60 times.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Bust Rodd posted:

Physically shuffling your deck and tapping your lands and activating your creatures feels better than clicking a mouse 60 times.
seeing the actual reactions from opponents in person can be pretty fun too rather than just text or voice chat

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

https://twitter.com/GriffnValentine/status/1287794683746193408

lmbo

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/bibliovoreorc/status/1287818931877621761?s=21

Something I never considered before is how artists can randomly become hugely successful if they have the serendipity of both painting an incredible work of art that ALSO happens to be a chase rare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Captain Invictus posted:

grabbed a handful and there's 9th edition, some icon that looks like a candle, nemesis, a shuriken icon, revised, 4th edition, an icicle icon, mercadian masques, a lantern-looking icon, two different types of fancy 3-point star set icons, an hourglass icon, a scales icon, basically a big ol' melting pot of different sets mixed together it looks like.
from memory: I don't know the candle; Betrayers of Kamigawa (shuriken); Coldsnap (icicles); Saviours of Kamigawa (lantern); dunno the stars (Portal?); Time Spiral (hourglass); Judgement (scales)

quote:

hopefully folks don't mind these sorts of posts.
if you find some cool stuff then :justpost: