Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
SPM gets points from me in hindsight for being different from the previous two wholesale, as opposed to keeping weird vestiges of RPG stuff when the developers themselves don't call it an RPG. On its own it is totally a mixed bag though, and you can snap it in two with hardly any effort.

Bleck posted:

that wasn't Kamek that was a different Magikoopa

He has a weird name in the original but both his Psycho quotes reference Yoshi's Island, unless they also made their own version of Kamek I think it is meant to be him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Phenotype posted:

Is there a legit way to play TTYD if my Gamecube has been lost to time?
you buy a used copy and play it on a wii instead. yup, that's it. by the way the copies go for 100+ bucks just like the other intelligent systems gamecube game.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Seeing people talk about TTYD being $100-$200 makes me really happy I snagged mine at Comic-con for $50 on a whim

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Super Paper Mario is another weird case. It's got a ton of elements from TTYD/PM64 that people loved (humour, Tattle, lots of NPCs with weird mini stories, Bowser bowserin' it up, Pit of 100 Trials...), but it has one fundamental problem.

It looks like garbage.

You either get a lifeless 2D game with empty corridors, or a hard to navigate 3D area that you cannot possibly navigate unless you switch back and forth between perspectives like a madman. Most new characters are just boring random boxes without much charm thrown together, with some exceptions that are genuinely clever (Count Bleck is great, Mimi is absolutely AMAZING, and so on...). It's frustrating to play and, honestly, I did not enjoy it beyond the initial novelty. Additionally, it was broken as gently caress and in terms of level design probably the worst of all the PM games.

Really funny, though. I liked even the trolling aspects of the story, that stuff was great. But I can see why developers might've taken it as a sign that PM needs a radical change.

After that, Sticker Star and so on obviously put much more effort into level design, and it shows. Honestly, level design is LEAGUES above anything TTYD ever did (so... much... backtracking). It feels like SS, CS and OK are shying away from the more narration-heavy, classic JRPG style that several TTYD chapters had; there's a lot more outright action and going through levels - which means narration and world details are, obviously, much less pronounced. It's nice to have proper action adventure in actual environments for once, complete with QTEs and action set pieces, after the endless level tubes of TTYD, but on the other hand, it seems like the developers aren't interested in something like Act 3 or Act 6 of TTYD.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The abilities from earlier games were cool, both partner abilities and the paper abilities like rolling up into a tube or power jump, but since color splash I have found I do like the more simple rule set of "You have a hammer. You have a jump". Everything you see is accessible via those moves unless it is locked out by story progress.

I like that most of the time in Origami King if there's a reason you can't progress it's a key item and often a literal key that it will be obvious you need.

I do love the partner moves and the Mario paper moves but if they bring something like that back, I hope they bring back the philosophy that you do not need them in areas before you unlock them, unless it's the hub, or there is a really compelling reason to go back there. I love being able to almost 100% an area before leaving on my first pass. Oddly in TOK the one place you couldn't really do this is sort of a pain to go back to.

Or if they give you all your moves early like in Breath of the Wild that would be good too.

The Origami King honestly really felt like a Zelda game a lot of the time. I personally loved the ring combat and I think the in game economy was actually very well balanced. I found myself broke at the start of purple streamer and low on cash again during the green streamer but never ran completely out or had to grind. But I also really loved the fights you did in the overworld. I'd love an adventure game in this style, not necessarily paper Mario, where all these kinds of fights were on the overworld. Those were really fun bosses and the way Mario recoiled back a mile after whacking them with the hammer felt great.

I agree with most of this (trimmed out some of your quote so my post wouldn't be too long.) I feel like the maps in this are very well made and engaging, I've never felt that "ugh, how long to the end of this area?" feeling I always feel in rpg's.

And, this might be post-hoc justification, but so far I feel like the lack of exp actually works. When people say "there's no motivation to fight", I feel like they're missing the point that the motivation to fight in most games, including JRPG's, is just to get past the enemy. There's a good pace of encounters that are unavoidable for progression. The reward system means if you want to avoid the ones who can be avoided, or if you're backtracking, you don't feel like you're missing out on anything. If you need more coins just jump back into a fight again.

I do wish there were more outside-of battle abilities, and that your partners had abilities in battle. I feel like they erred too far in simplicity on that one.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Your partners did have abilities in battle, though? They could attack, some better than others. The accessory that increased their damage was pretty great.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Eh I'd be super generous to say they had abilities when it's just

Bobby - Is he sleeping? He will fail. Is he awake and lounging? He'll do 20 damage to something still alive
Toad - Can sometimes clear a row if he digs up coins. Sometimes whiffs
Kamek - Can sometimes clear a row. Messes up if he pulls out a broom instead of his wand
Bowser - Clears a row, but if a enemy withstands fire damage he's not as effective

They all kind of do the same thing.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Your partners did have abilities in battle, though? They could attack, some better than others. The accessory that increased their damage was pretty great.

I think they mean more along the lines of being able to actually control them and do different things with them. All the partners really do in Origami King is after your turn is over if enemies are left over they'll do a simple follow-up attack to hopefully mop up any stragglers. It's helpful, sure, but not all that interesting. There's not even any action commands for them, it's just random whether their attack fails or not.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Eh I'd be super generous to say they had abilities when it's just

Bobby - Is he sleeping? He will fail. Is he awake and lounging? He'll do 20 damage to something still alive
Toad - Can sometimes clear a row if he digs up coins. Sometimes whiffs
Kamek - Can sometimes clear a row. Messes up if he pulls out a broom instead of his wand
Bowser - Clears a row, but if a enemy withstands fire damage he's not as effective

They all kind of do the same thing.
they all do exactly the same thing. bowser also has a chance of failure, and they can all (except bobby) attack the line and square formations. the damage is different but it's always big enough to kill most enemies in the relevant area.

i don't feel like the game needs more attack options than it has, though. maybe if you wanted to do another iteration on this combat you could make the puzzles slightly simpler but let you attack more different formations with different abilities.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

while I mostly like the bosses they sometimes throw in these really annoying curveball gotcha moments that piss me off.
like, once the phoenix boss is left vulnerable to 1,000-fold Arms your first instinct is to immediately grab that and beat the poo poo out of him before your window closes, right? But if you do that, the boss survives the attack and then heals himself all the way back to full, gently caress you, start over. The arms need to be the final hit or else they don't work. There's no indication of this.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I wish the equipment in this game didn't exist. Just make them items you find that increase your attack and change the default attack to Flashy, Shiny, Iron, etc. I have never come close to running out and just end up playing this weird mental guesswork on which arbitrary type of jump will kill an enemy. I don't see the reason that it exists.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I think it's kinda strange that you can have multiple partners at once but there's nothing you can do with that and it's more of a easter egg than anything

The bone goomba and spike have unique attacks in the 10 seconds they're following you. Hell Bowser Jr joins you to take 5 steps but if you backtrack and look for a fight both him and Kamek will join you and he even has his own victory animation

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Augus posted:

while I mostly like the bosses they sometimes throw in these really annoying curveball gotcha moments that piss me off.
like, once the phoenix boss is left vulnerable to 1,000-fold Arms your first instinct is to immediately grab that and beat the poo poo out of him before your window closes, right? But if you do that, the boss survives the attack and then heals himself all the way back to full, gently caress you, start over. The arms need to be the final hit or else they don't work. There's no indication of this.

My boyfriend mentioned this and I had no idea because apparently I was loving around enough on that fight to never try to ARMS until it was near death. Glad I didn't experience that. Do none of the hint envelopes mention this either?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

YoshiOfYellow posted:

My boyfriend mentioned this and I had no idea because apparently I was loving around enough on that fight to never try to ARMS until it was near death. Glad I didn't experience that. Do none of the hint envelopes mention this either?

They just say 'go use the arms on it' without mentioning that One Little Fact.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I don't know but even if they do it's still pretty dickish design to have the boss just screw you over if you're not making a beeline for the hint envelopes at every single stage of the fight.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I thought "oh maybe it's location based, I need to do it from the back to pluck the feathers" but the second time that failed I said "F it I'll just beat this down the normal way" and waited until it had little enough health I was pretty sure I could kill it

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Maybe the idea was meant to be like "hey the arms are usually kind of sort of a finisher move and this is a phoenix and you know what phoenixes do right". Which I sort of get but by that point you've used the arms during boss fights for other purposes. Hell that's the entire method of actually defeating Rubber Band.

It's funny though because I somehow avoided this so when I beat the boss I was just like "Wait what really? The phoenix doesn't revive? That's it???"

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
I think it's neat insofar as it just shows you can't rely on the 1000-Fold Arms for everything (I was worrying that it was basically the best way to fight any given boss), though I could definitely see it as being incredibly rude. Especially since there's, afaik, not really a good indicator as to when you can safely use the arms (if it's how you have to finish it off then I guess with your normal attacks doing zero damage...? that's kind of lame though)

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

there's always an indicator of when you have to use the arms in a boss fight and it's asking olivia. she'll say incredibly obviously when it's time to do it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

One of the hints explicitly mentions it.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ImpAtom posted:

One of the hints explicitly mentions it.

I was going to say this, the little letter hints are pretty useful.

Here’s an interesting thing I found out by being an idiot: (Green Streamer Boss)

Like an idiot I destroyed his sheath on the first turn and he immediately started his instant death attack. I managed to struggle through only loving up once (thanks 1-up shroom) and came out victorious.

When I did the rematch in the boss fighting machine I didn’t destroy his sheath and... you get Ice Vellumental panels?!?! Did I just miss them the first time or is your punishment really no ice powers? That’s kinda mean tbh the ice makes the battle way less stressful.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Here’s an interesting thing I found out by being an idiot: (Green Streamer Boss)

Like an idiot I destroyed his sheath on the first turn and he immediately started his instant death attack. I managed to struggle through only loving up once (thanks 1-up shroom) and came out victorious.

When I did the rematch in the boss fighting machine I didn’t destroy his sheath and... you get Ice Vellumental panels?!?! Did I just miss them the first time or is your punishment really no ice powers? That’s kinda mean tbh the ice makes the battle way less stressful.

You need to hit chests to make them show IIRC

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ImpAtom posted:

You need to hit chests to make them show IIRC

Hmm I was sure I did hit chests... I think I used a different Vellumental power against it, too? Maybe not.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

He'll unsheath at half HP regardless of what you do so the only thing that destroying it does is basically skip a phase. You can dodge Final Cut by jumping at the right moment and you're expected to the first time he does the attack since he's guaranteed to cut up the magic circles and On switch the first time. After that the Ice Vellumental freezes him for a turn and lets you get a free ARMS which will chunk significant HP.

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I did it the intended way the first time and then broke the sheath during my rematch and I can definitely confirm that if you just go for it, they force you to do it "the hard way" without Vellumental panels the whole way through.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Morbi posted:

I did it the intended way the first time and then broke the sheath during my rematch and I can definitely confirm that if you just go for it, they force you to do it "the hard way" without Vellumental panels the whole way through.

The hint you get is like bold and red and says “YOU CAN’T BREAK THE SHEATH YOU WILL REGRET THIS!!” so I’m not surprised they punish you so much. It’s a pretty good boss fight tbh there is only maybe one boss I didn’t like loving Handaconda, why did they have to bring back RPS??? Fight’s dumb as poo poo.

Edit: the end boss is also kind of disappointing but whatever. They clearly ran out of ideas.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Tender Bender posted:

I agree with most of this (trimmed out some of your quote so my post wouldn't be too long.) I feel like the maps in this are very well made and engaging, I've never felt that "ugh, how long to the end of this area?" feeling I always feel in rpg's.

And, this might be post-hoc justification, but so far I feel like the lack of exp actually works. When people say "there's no motivation to fight", I feel like they're missing the point that the motivation to fight in most games, including JRPG's, is just to get past the enemy. There's a good pace of encounters that are unavoidable for progression. The reward system means if you want to avoid the ones who can be avoided, or if you're backtracking, you don't feel like you're missing out on anything. If you need more coins just jump back into a fight again.

I do wish there were more outside-of battle abilities, and that your partners had abilities in battle. I feel like they erred too far in simplicity on that one.

They're misidentifying the problem.

Battles don't feel rewarding and the gameplay itself isn't fun enough to warrant wanting to play it on its own. The combination means that the fights feel like chores to do rather than enjoyable parts of the game.

You can get away with one or the other a lot of the time. People will often spend lots of time doing boring stuff if they think it will lead to something good and equally people will play fun things with no reward happily. But when you've got this combination it's just awful.

I've just finished up with the desert but I really just don't want to play the game any more because I have to get through the gameplay to actually get to the interesting parts like the fun dances or boss fights.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

God drat getting 16 rounds on Speed Rings is hard. At one point I kind of zoned out and began gaming in a fugue state, got 9 Rings and felt like God, then I saw I actually need 7 more than that

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm on the final phase of (Yellow streamer) Giant Pokey and I have no idea what the game wants me to do. Hitting and ramming don't work and Olivia is unhelpful.

Boss and battle design in this game is kind of dick.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Pollyanna posted:

I'm on the final phase of (Yellow streamer) Giant Pokey and I have no idea what the game wants me to do. Hitting and ramming don't work and Olivia is unhelpful.

You gotta get on it on foot as it's going down

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Pollyanna posted:

On the final segment you have to get out of the car and hammer the sticker, since there’s only one.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

More specifically: You can jump up onto the pokey as it's sinking into the sand.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The hint you get is like bold and red and says “YOU CAN’T BREAK THE SHEATH YOU WILL REGRET THIS!!” so I’m not surprised they punish you so much. It’s a pretty good boss fight tbh there is only maybe one boss I didn’t like loving Handaconda, why did they have to bring back RPS??? Fight’s dumb as poo poo.

Edit: the end boss is also kind of disappointing but whatever. They clearly ran out of ideas.

Handaconda does have a tell, at least; while you're arranging the rings it'll make the appropriate hand motion for what it's gonna use. Not sure if Olivia gives you a hint about it because... I honestly forget about asking her a in battle a ton because I got too used to her generic "watch out for angry enemies!" "hint". Better than Roshambo in Color Splash, at least, where the final round was just a crapshoot in general.

Also having the hype for playing Rock Paper Scissors in the same style as normal 1000-Fold Arms is incredible.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

LiefKatano posted:

Handaconda does have a tell, at least; while you're arranging the rings it'll make the appropriate hand motion for what it's gonna use. Not sure if Olivia gives you a hint about it because... I honestly forget about asking her a in battle a ton because I got too used to her generic "watch out for angry enemies!" "hint". Better than Roshambo in Color Splash, at least, where the final round was just a crapshoot in general.

Also having the hype for playing Rock Paper Scissors in the same style as normal 1000-Fold Arms is incredible.

I know. But if my experience in the rematch is any indication, its tells are sometimes lies.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I know. But if my experience in the rematch is any indication, its tells are sometimes lies.

Its tells are completely meaningless which is very frustrating when refighting it.

I just finished getting 100% in the game, the Perfect Game is brutal but I did it in a few tries once I learned to calm down and do the ring scramble properly.

I rank this game about even with Color Splash. Lots of great stuff going for it and really funny throughout. I would get a bit bored of battles as each area went on, but at least they were pretty quick. Final boss was a bit disappointing but most of the other ones were great.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 28, 2020

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Yeah I'm pretty sure that fight is just straight up random, unfortunately. At least the odds of losing that fight are really low given that it needs to win about 11 times to kill you, while you only need to win twice after placing the magic circles as close to it as possible.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I know Olivia settles on calling him Bobby, but I was calling him Bhomas in my brain the whole time.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

I think my eyes are actually bleeding out

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
presumably that's as much of a clusterfuck as you can face at least by way of enemy count if the UI is anything to go by

it loving well better be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Captain T. Ode rocks so hard I love him.

Yellow streamer boss was fun, but you better believe I Immediately demanded the DJ plays the Eurobeat Initial-D slam track once I returned to town

Also, I was not expecting the game to turn into Wind Waker Hell yeah.

anyways, onto the purple streamer!