Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

What's the threshold of kids who can't read that will satisfy you? 40%, 50% of 5-6 year olds that will need to be held back but can't because our education system is maxed out?

ok genius, if we open all the schools and everyone gets sick and the teachers all either are out for months, die, or retire, how many will need to be held back then?

this is the stupid 'open the economy vs fight the virus' false dichotomy. there is no re-opening when the virus is around. there is no 'choose one or the other' option available. the time to actually prepare for school opening is long gone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

It's always astounding whenever someone is like "only a 3% mortality rate!" It's clear they haven't thought about what such a rate actually means.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Schools are the only thing without an easy answer; it's certainly bad for kids and their parents in a myriad of ways to keep the closed, especially for lower income families. I'm not saying they should all be open, just that it's not as straightforward as the rest of this poo poo, where non-essential operations and travel should be shut down and the government should be paying people to stay home. But whatever, enjoy your trip to Florida that you have to take right now. The weather loving sucks in Florida this time of year btw

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Fray posted:

It's always astounding whenever someone is like "only a 3% mortality rate!" It's clear they haven't thought about what such a rate actually means.

what, you don't like when someone hand waves millions of deaths?

bonus lol when there's a bunch of teachers in this thread that have mentioned they'd like to not die for their jobs and this asshat comes in with his bullshit

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fray posted:

They also don't understand that flu death rates are a magnitude lower. They also don't understand the word "magnitude" or sentences.

Here, I'll try to get through to them and don't worry, they don't understand any of this.

Hey bro

Flu bad

Covid badder

Schools open baddest

Real baddest

Alright, someone check and see if they understand now.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

zer0spunk posted:

what, you don't like when someone hand waves millions of deaths?

bonus lol when there's a bunch of teachers in this thread that have mentioned they'd like to not die for their jobs and this asshat comes in with his bullshit

I think it just has to be plain mathematical illiteracy. Like all they see is the number three, and they equate that with "super duper low" because, hey, three is a small number right? Like they don't take the next step of actually deducing the result of that figure.

Fray fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 27, 2020

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i wanna see a teacher in a PPE gown, mask and face shield teach a first grader, who is wearing a mask and seated at least six feet away, to read

maybe a long pointing stick to help them put a digit on a syllable and sound it out. perhaps with a claw on the end so that you can grasp their hand and guide them. from six feet away. in lab grade PPE.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Pennywise the Frown posted:

What's the threshold of dead kids and teachers for you to make it so it's not so good?

1,000? 5,000?

There WILL be deaths just so you know. We all know that. I'm just curious how many deaths are ok to you.

What's the threshold of kids who can't read that will satisfy you? 40%, 50% of 5-6 year olds that will need to be held back but can't because our education system is maxed out?

Answer his question instead of evading, you coward.

edit: lol probed

Also 3% mortality means 1 out of every 33 people dies. Do you know at least 33 people whose sudden death would affect you?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Fray posted:

I think it just has to be plain mathematical illiteracy. Like all they see is the number three, and they equate that with "super duper low" because, hey, three is a small number right? Like they don't take the next step of actually deducing the result of that figure.

or just a low effort troll

like popping into a hurricane thread and going "it's just a little wind you cowards"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

boar guy posted:

i wanna see a teacher in a PPE gown, mask and face shield teach a first grader, who is wearing a mask and seated at least six feet away, to read

maybe a long pointing stick to help them put a digit on a syllable and sound it out. perhaps with a claw on the end so that you can grasp their hand and guide them. from six feet away. in lab grade PPE.

Put the kids in glove boxes.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Can't read is worse than dead.

Got it.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Got it.

That kid may have PTSD for the rest of his life because his parents and teachers all died but he can read at an 8th grade level dammit

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Technically, it is just like the flu

12.5 flus for the oldest category to be exact

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

my mom is a 2nd grade teacher, her district is doing some kind of hybrid online/in person thing with small class sizes so kids can be spread out and she's actually happy that she'll be back in the classroom. Teachers and parents can opt out but it doesn't look like any of them are doing that for her class. We're in a very low case area and were never hit hard to begin with, she's in good health with no risk factors other than being over 55, and she has boomer brain so she doesn't think anything bad will happen to her.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

That kid may have PTSD for the rest of his life because his parents and teachers all died but he can read at an 8th grade level dammit

buncha goddamn illiterate caspers flying around loving up my florida vacation

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

This is true, and I respect their right to isolate and will wear a mask in public. At this point in time, I just am not seeing why we aren't treating this as a nasty flu strain rather than a serious threat to society. The one thing I am currently taking issue with is keeping schools closed, particularly for the younger kids or at risk kids. Not only will parents have to figure something out for their kids to stay home, but there are so many kids who are behind and only going to get further behind where they should be. I can't imagine how bad this will be for 3-6th grade English learners for example. In my area, at least they will still be doing kindergarten in person.

Funny thing about schools is one third of teachers are in higher risk brackets and all the talk of reopening schools that doesn't factor in that in isn't engaging honestly with the situation on the ground. How can schools be opened while simultaneously "respecting [the teacher's] right to isolate"? Do you just draft in a lot of substitute labor? Does "right to isolate" mean that the teachers who don't want to go in will still get their pay, or do you only get that "right" if you have enough money to opt out because it's not actually a right just a thing people can decide to do if they have the means? The older a teacher is the more likely they can just retire instead of staying, then you gotta somehow find more teachers to fill those slots...

Additionally, remember that dying is not the only outcome. This thing can and will knock somebody out for weeks. Not everybody, no, but a decent percentage of people who don't get hospitalized. Plenty of long running symptoms like brain fog; do you think teachers will do a good job teaching with the brain fog? How do you manage the substitute teachers? If the teacher ended up sick, do you have the class of students quarantine because they might have it? If a student ends up sick, ditto? Hell, do substitute teachers even get health insurance? Do you think part of people's "overblown" fears are related to how they can easily get sick, not be able to work for weeks, AND go bankrupt from medical costs all at the same time?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

The god drat president can't read. Think about how far in life they can go without being dead! :eng101:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
There is an "easy" answer for schooling and it could have been all set to go if we didn't have a political party that is completely incompetent. We could have partnered with Microsoft, Apple, HPE, Dell, Verizon, ATT, and a myriad of other tech giants to form a remote education initiative where every kid gets a free laptop, desktop, monitor, and cellular access point to a private school only network that every public school gets linked into. Teachers get their own devices and whatever else they might need, including solitary office space to teach from if they request it. We KNEW schools weren't going to open this fall as soon as this poo poo hit hard in March. Now we lost a year and will have to wait for a new POTUS who will hopefully not have his head too far up his own rear end to see what needs to be done, or we're stuck with kids not being properly schooled for the next four plus years.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Got it.

yeah, you can bring someone back to life but you can't teach them how to read at a later point, duh.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Philthy posted:

There is an "easy" answer for schooling and it could have been all set to go if we didn't have a political party that is completely incompetent. We could have partnered with Microsoft, Apple, HPE, Dell, Verizon, ATT, and a myriad of other tech giants to form a remote education initiative where every kid gets a free laptop, desktop, monitor, and cellular access point to a private school only network that every public school gets linked into. Teachers get their own devices and whatever else they might need, including solitary office space to teach from if they request it. We KNEW schools weren't going to open this fall as soon as this poo poo hit hard in March. Now we lost a year and will have to wait for a new POTUS who will hopefully not have his head too far up his own rear end to see what needs to be done, or we're stuck with kids not being properly schooled for the next four plus years.

teachers can still use their classrooms. just make sure they are set up with a bigass monitor/PC/Zoomorwhatever and a giant whiteboard that lets them actually monitor the students in their classes and mimics a real classroom setup. require attendance. give the kids a 5 or ten minute lecture over YouTube to watch on their own time, and use the time with them live to answer questions and have a discussion. have daily office hours, not once a week.

instead, we spent money on plexiglass shielding and floor stickers and surgical masks and hand sanitizer because wishful thinking is a thing that works

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Philthy posted:

without a doubt, kids in poor areas will get left behind in a remote learning situation

the alternative being covid, so of the two evils

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Much like covid's physical impact, we're going to be dealing with life-long issues because Trumpy hosed up so badly. There will absolutely be a generation of kids who suffer from less than adequate education. We're also going to have a shitload of homeless people in a few weeks, not to mention the potentially horrifying mental health toll this has taken on most of the population.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

A Fancy Hat posted:

Much like covid's physical impact, we're going to be dealing with life-long issues because Trumpy hosed up so badly. There will absolutely be a generation of kids who suffer from less than adequate education. We're also going to have a shitload of homeless people in a few weeks, not to mention the potentially horrifying mental health toll this has taken on most of the population.

gently caress. That means more republican voters.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Can’t have PTSD if I know it’s just the flu.

taps temple

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

A Fancy Hat posted:

jesus gently caress I forgot about evictions resuming

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
so uh. this is a LINEAR graph of the new cases per day and uh ...

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

zgrowler2 posted:

jesus gently caress I forgot about evictions resuming

Don't worry, the landlord class hasn't!

:v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
US just passed 150k deaths according to worldometers

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

zer0spunk posted:

without a doubt, kids in poor areas will get left behind in a remote learning situation

the alternative being covid, so of the two evils

This is likely true, but again, a competent administration would set up groups of people who make sure poorer areas are taken care of with white glove service.

I know, this is pie in the sky bullshit right now, but it COULD have been done and I guarantee any large tech company would love to be part of "saving the day" for the millions of kids across the nation. We would likely have the typical political grifting going on, but for education it should be priority. No one should give a poo poo if a kid somehow found a way to get 10 monitors instead of 1. Just move on.

It's infuriating like the Austin Powers steamroller scene. WE SAW THIS COMING.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

US just passed 150k deaths according to worldometers

god bless this mess

JeffLeonard
Apr 18, 2003

TV Violence

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Itt people scared of a disease with a 3.5% mortality rate on the overall population. I'm going to Florida on vacation, gonna be a good time

Dude, have you ever played craps? Rolled Snake Eyes?

If you roll snake eyes on your Corona saving throw...you lose.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Platystemon posted:

Can’t have PTSD if I know it’s just the flu.

taps temple

Somebody who knows more about mental health than me (ie anybody at all); I'd love to know if there's some version of PTSD that we're all going to be suffering from after this.

I definitely have bad mental health days more frequently this summer. A mix of feeling like I'm trapped at my job, frustration with the general state of the US, and an inability to go out and do a lot of things without the risk of getting myself or someone else sick.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Philthy posted:

No one should give a poo poo if a kid somehow found a way to get 10 monitors instead of 1. Just move on.

It would largely depend on if the kid was lighter-than-fawn or darker-than-fawn.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

A Fancy Hat posted:

Somebody who knows more about mental health than me (ie anybody at all); I'd love to know if there's some version of PTSD that we're all going to be suffering from after this.

I feel like an rear end in a top hat minimizing PTSD people who got like blown up in Iraq or some poo poo but yeah, this. In a big loving way.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Totally not weird that coronavirus cases seemed to suddenly level off on the same day that case tracking got taken away from the CDC and is now run by some rando contractor

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/16/us-coronavirus-data-has-already-disappeared-after-trump-administration-shifted-control-from-cdc-to-hhs.html

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Fray posted:

Or they haven't played D&D. That's two percent shy of your chance to roll a natural 1 on a d20. :rolldice:

Mithaldu posted:

so uh. this is a LINEAR graph of the new cases per day and uh ...

Bolsonaro's space program is looking up uP UP. The U.S. has a lot of ground to cover if we want to win this.

Schadenboner posted:

I feel like an rear end in a top hat minimizing PTSD people who got like blown up in Iraq or some poo poo but yeah, this. In a big loving way.

PTSD isn't just for soldiers. People in abusive relationships suffer from it all the time. Arguably the money habits of folks who survived the Great Depression could be classified as PTSD (compulsive saving habits informed by a mistrust of institutions brought about by the trauma of living through a time). There are certainly more vulnerable members of society who are already suffering having lived for five months not knowing if the random person they saw that day was carrying invisible death or not.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Any time I see someone downplay a 3.5% death rate, all I can think is what the gently caress kind of life do you lead that a 3.5% chance of death isn't a big loving deal? Do you skydive to work everyday to your job as a bomb disposal tech at the summit of Mount Everest?

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Warmachine posted:

PTSD isn't just for soldiers. People in abusive relationships suffer from it all the time. Arguably the money habits of folks who survived the Great Depression could be classified as PTSD (compulsive saving habits informed by a mistrust of institutions brought about by the trauma of living through a time). There are certainly more vulnerable members of society who are already suffering having lived for five months not knowing if the random person they saw that day was carrying invisible death or not.

In my bubble the response to covid between people with prior PTSD and people who are picking it up from frontline work in a hotspot area looks pretty god damned similar :smith:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Itt people scared of a disease with a 3.5% mortality rate on the overall population. I'm going to Florida on vacation, gonna be a good time

You are aware, right, that the United States has, as of 2019's counting, about 330 million people, and so a 3% death rate implies that roughly ten million people will die, right? MILLIONS. Of people. Deceased. Done. Shed their mortal coil and joined the choir invisible.Gone. Bupkis. Kaput. Six feet under and lovin' it. And most of those deaths will be disproportionately in the south, which may please certain forum members who don't like southern states or their policies, until you look further and realize that of the people who will die in those southern states most of them are impoverished and disenfranchised people who are too poor to be able to not work and put their lives at risk.

But haha, gently caress the south and gently caress poor people I guess, gently caress the millions of people born into a life and area they had no part, say, or control in the events and circumstances leading to the present state of things

EDIT: OK, to be fair, obviously not all 330 million people are going to get it, in fact, if possible the percentage of the population that will contract it will be far, far less. But even taking the 70-80% of the population number posted earlier, that still means over 240 million may get it, and of those, over 7 million will die, using your figure. And that's just death. Of the ones who do survive and recover, how many will have had severe symptoms necessitating hospitalization and ventilation? I think a previous number said 20% of those infected?

Have you seen what being on ventilation entails? For possibly weeks? You are essentially tortured, the examples that I've seen look like medieval torture devices, and its unfortunately necessary because the alternative is an even more painful death. And again, who knows the long term consequences of having your insides wrecked by the virus?

Gologle fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Philthy posted:

This is likely true, but again, a competent administration would set up groups of people who make sure poorer areas are taken care of with white glove service.

I know, this is pie in the sky bullshit right now, but it COULD have been done and I guarantee any large tech company would love to be part of "saving the day" for the millions of kids across the nation. We would likely have the typical political grifting going on, but for education it should be priority. No one should give a poo poo if a kid somehow found a way to get 10 monitors instead of 1. Just move on.

It's infuriating like the Austin Powers steamroller scene. WE SAW THIS COMING.

One of the things that always drives me nuts in American politics is the "what about?" question on every single plan and idea. What about kids in areas with poor internet access? What about kids who need extra attention? What about kids who don't attend the virtual classes? What about potential cheating on tests? You get hit with these and more if you tell the wrong person that you think school should be virtual this year. And let's be clear, the person bringing these issues up doesn't care you if have answers or suggestions, they are just going to move on to the next one to try and invalidate your position by finding something you don't have an answer for.

Instead of trying to answer any of these questions (and some of them need to be answered with structural and social change even without COVID) it was just assumed from the start that everyone would be back in the Fall after the virus went away in the Summer, despite every single virus and public health expert warning of a second wave by winter. In a country with a competent government there would have been massive actions on a national scale to try to mitigate the worst of the fallout from an extended lockdown, including coming up with a solution to questions around schools. Instead people are just repeating that small kids aren't super spreaders like being in third grade makes you entirely immune and only small kids go to school. It's magical thinking in place of solving large scale problems because it would be expensive and difficult and there's no single step solution and none of the multi-step solutions is entirely perfect. Now any time we had to implement even flawed alternatives is gone, so good luck educators and parents.