Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

CocoaNuts posted:

I can't muster sympathy for Ghomeshi but, drat, he was a top-flight interviewer. Q has not been anywhere near as good since Jian's cancellation.

you gotta hand it to him

i never actually listened to Q because I don’t commute but I’m sad shad didn’t succeed there cuz I like his music and I think he’s a good interviewer on the Netflix rap show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Take a minute to check out the RSVP list for the anti-mask protest that happened at the local provincial park yesterday. a lot of fun people RSVPd to this one

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

There's a hell of an arc here where the New York Review of Books goes from routinely publishing the likes Umberto Eco and Susan Sontag to pay-walling all their archived content and publishing Ghomeshi's pitiful mewling.

Pro-tip: NYRB content is all on the internet archive.

Virtual Russian has issued a correction as of 15:51 on Jul 27, 2020

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

EvilJoven posted:

Take a minute to check out the RSVP list for the anti-mask protest that happened at the local provincial park yesterday. a lot of fun people RSVPd to this one

only 4 people showed up to this and two of them was the organizer and their daughter

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
manitobas top health guy telling businesses to have contingency plans for the fall when everyone starts calling in sick with covid lol

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

"certified B.C. GloryHole SuperHost"

cute

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

i need a gc.ca gloryhole tracker so i can find a gloryhole near me that's safe

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

the irony of a bunch of people bemoaning cancel culture critics while posting in a thread with gloryhole jokes is very c-spam

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:reject:

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 05:03 on Jun 20, 2021

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Salean posted:

if nothing else they’d be roomy

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Look, I mean I want to believe this is fake, but...

it's 2020.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

a primate posted:

the irony of a bunch of people bemoaning cancel culture critics while posting in a thread with gloryhole jokes is very c-spam

idk, is someone going to get cancelled for going to a gloryhole?

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

infernal machines posted:

idk, is someone going to get cancelled for going to a gloryhole?

idk, maybe joking about it. maybe it’s not a good example, but i am surprised people posting on SA wouldn’t be more concerned about getting cancelled over their posting record, if it became public. this whole cancelling thing to me just indicates how much power an employer has over its employees. I guess I see it more as a labour issue than a way for individuals to speak to power

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

a primate posted:

idk, maybe joking about it. maybe it’s not a good example, but i am surprised people posting on SA wouldn’t be more concerned about getting cancelled over their posting record, if it became public. this whole cancelling thing to me just indicates how much power an employer has over its employees. I guess I see it more as a labour issue than a way for individuals to speak to power

Nobody cares about any of us or our posting. Log off and go for a walk if its giving you anxiety

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

a primate posted:

thankfully, as demonstrated by the fhritp guy, if you have a union they will do their duty and you will keep your job even if you do get outed for being a shitlord. so the lesson is, support labour unions if you're worried about cancel culture

i might lose a few clients if my post record on certain subjects became publicly tied to my irl identity, but that's not because of some cancellation nonsense. otoh if i were posting slurs and hate speech, yeah i might have a problem with my posts being tied to my name. i'm not though

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Salean posted:

Hello dragons, my name is prom candy and I'm here to ask you for $250,000 for 50% of my business. My app, GLRY, helps users find nearby glory holes that are safe, clean, and well-attended. By utilizing GPS technology and crowdsourced data we've created a database of over 69,000 glory holes all across Canada.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

thankfully, as demonstrated by the fhritp guy, if you have a union they will do their duty and you will keep your job even if you do get outed for being a shitlord. so the lesson is, support labour unions if you're worried about cancel culture

i might lose a few clients if my post record on certain subjects became publicly tied to my irl identity, but that's not because of some cancellation nonsense. otoh if i were posting slurs and hate speech, yeah i might have a problem with my posts being tied to my name. i'm not though

that’s fair. my industry is not unionized so i can’t fall back on that. I remember working for a company during the fhritp Ontario guy thing, and one of the bosses called us all in for meeting telling us we’d be fired if we said something in our spare time that the company felt was contrary to its values. I’m not the type of person to be caught in that situation, but I felt generally threatened by the fact that your employer could terminate you based on things you did in your spare time. I guess I was naive, but that is the general feeling I have whenever people’s livelihoods are threatened for their speech, whether warranted or not.

I understand I’m in the minority on this, so I don’t want to derail the thread about it. but posting into the ether is what I generally do so I don’t see any reason to change :shrug:

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Someone I know posted this thinking it's real. She's gone insane over COVID-19, she used to be a freebirth advocating hippy, now shes a Qanon posting insane person. 5G, Gates, Soros, everything.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

a primate posted:

Starks posted:

Sorry I didn't really articulate my post well, what I meant is there's lots of high-profile cases in the U.S. of non-famous or barely famous people getting fired for stuff they said or wrote outside of work, and these "cancel culture" articles are clearly preying on that fear, but afaik it's much harder to fire people for the same stuff in Canada. I assume that's why the Hydro One guy who harassed that reporter got rehired. Maybe that's a little naive, I should show my boss my "lust for boomer death" post to test my theory out.

On a side note, it's extremely telling that people like Cherry/LeDrew/Weiss have shown absolutely zero support for stricter labour laws despite seeing themselves as victims of draconic employers. Live by the sword die by the sword I guess

I will let you know how it goes

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

a primate posted:

that’s fair. my industry is not unionized so i can’t fall back on that. I remember working for a company during the fhritp Ontario guy thing, and one of the bosses called us all in for meeting telling us we’d be fired if we said something in our spare time that the company felt was contrary to its values. I’m not the type of person to be caught in that situation, but I felt generally threatened by the fact that your employer could terminate you based on things you did in your spare time. I guess I was naive, but that is the general feeling I have whenever people’s livelihoods are threatened for their speech, whether warranted or not.

I understand I’m in the minority on this, so I don’t want to derail the thread about it. but posting into the ether is what I generally do so I don’t see any reason to change :shrug:

it's cool, i mean what you're describing is definitely your employer stating that they'll use their power to fire you as long as they can find a reason. which definitely says something about the company.

it's easy to classify this as an issue with personal speech outside of company time, but if someone is intentionally being lovely to women on national tv, it's probably going to make for a toxic work environment too.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Tangentially related - I monitor social media for the company I work for and we get messages from randoms trying to doxx employees over the pettiest poo poo way more often than I expected going in.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Starks posted:

On a side note, it's extremely telling that people like Cherry/LeDrew/Weiss have shown absolutely zero support for stricter labour laws despite seeing themselves as victims of draconic employers. Live by the sword die by the sword I guess

it's also worth noting that in each of those cases it wasn't some one-off that sunk their career, they all have a history of being lovely to/about certain groups, and they just finally managed to cross a line. the fact that there is now a line to be crossed as opposed to being able to be an unrepentant rear end in a top hat for your entire professional career, with no consequences whatsoever, at the expense of everyone else, isn't really a downside imo

cougar cub posted:

Tangentially related - I monitor social media for the company I work for and we get messages from randoms trying to doxx employees over the pettiest poo poo way more often than I expected going in.

that sucks, but i take it you have some leeway to exercise judgement on what gets forwarded to hr?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Another Bill posted:

Nobody cares about any of us or our posting. Log off and go for a walk if its giving you anxiety

Bunnyofdoom sits in the corner with a finger in the air.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

that sucks, but i take it you have some leeway to exercise judgement on what gets forwarded to hr?

Yeah, pretty much full control. Truthfully I'm more likely to circumvent HR and get Operations involved if there's an issue. Once had a client's employee message a homophobic rant about our service employee being gay and how it was a huge disgusting issue. I was able to go to my ops manager and have him lean on the client to get their employee removed in response - no need for any notes on our employee's file.

"So and so cheated on me and isn't trustworthy, buddy owes me money you better tell him, this persons a drug addict, your employee said mean things to me about being an anti-vaxxer on the internet, etc." IDGAF about that poo poo - those are getting polite corporate platitudes until you go away.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

a primate posted:

I agree with you, people shouldn't be fired for expressing their views outside of work. With so many companies now worried about their brand they want to mercilessly control everything surrounding their image which includes their labour force. No one asked for that when you sign up to sell your labour to them, and yet somehow that's become part of the deal as everyone becomes more visible in a world with social media.

The wrinkle is that a lot of the people who are critical of cancel culture aren't people getting fired from their workplace. The big name in Canada, Barbara Kay, quit. Bari Weiss, the big name in the US, quit. None of these champions of free speech are they highlighting the people who have already been fired for expressing their views they happen to disagree with. No one went to bat for Norm Finklestein, or anyone else who is critical of Israel and loses their job over it. That particular issue is always messy because it can border on antisemitism which, at least in Canada, isn't something that our free speech laws generally tolerate. It's just that those same standards are being applied to every kind of criticism-maybe-possibly-bigotry situation, and as it turns out when you do that, it starts culling people pretty quickly. Not that I believe being critical of Israel means you're antisemetic, but merely that these situation get pretty messy, and Bari Weiss is absolutely someone who exploited that situation herself to try to get a professor she didn't like fired.

Ultimately, the people involved with cancel culture criticism are so far removed from the Wal-Mart greeter or Arby's cook getting fired for saying some dumb poo poo on social media that between their clearly hypocritical application of "cancel culture" when they're on the receiving end of mass criticism, and their disinterest in actually fighting for any concrete person without any real power or platform, that I don't want to even agree with them in principle because I question their principles.

I'm happy to agree with you on the subject, however, because again, employee protections are important and should be way more robust than they already are, and not contingent on whether or not you're unionized. People gently caress up. I'm not going to hold it against them, most of the time.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Twitter thread about the Nova Scotia mass shooter. Disband the RCMP

https://twitter.com/Tim_Bousquet/status/1287841073381900292

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Chamale posted:

This is loving insane I can't believe they're trying to investigate themselves

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
What do you mean by trying, is there reason to believe that that's not what's going to end up happening?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Starks posted:

This is loving insane I can't believe they're trying to investigate themselves

well they certainly don't want anyone else to investigate them. i mean, could you imagine what that might uncover?

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Chamale posted:

Been waiting for this

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Starks posted:

Tbf cherry was (is?) a union booster, tho being a Tory would cancel that out

No one ever said he was smart!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Chamale posted:

this is loving crazy

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
even had an uncle in the RCMP.

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Chamale posted:

Lol I hope they keep fighting for more to be unredacted. The level of fuckup just keeps getting deeper.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Any judge overseeing a FOIA complaint about a police agency investigating themselves to cover up malfeasance should automatically release all the documents unredacted imo

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Dreylad posted:

I agree with you, people shouldn't be fired for expressing their views outside of work. With so many companies now worried about their brand they want to mercilessly control everything surrounding their image which includes their labour force. No one asked for that when you sign up to sell your labour to them, and yet somehow that's become part of the deal as everyone becomes more visible in a world with social media.

The wrinkle is that a lot of the people who are critical of cancel culture aren't people getting fired from their workplace. The big name in Canada, Barbara Kay, quit. Bari Weiss, the big name in the US, quit. None of these champions of free speech are they highlighting the people who have already been fired for expressing their views they happen to disagree with. No one went to bat for Norm Finklestein, or anyone else who is critical of Israel and loses their job over it. That particular issue is always messy because it can border on antisemitism which, at least in Canada, isn't something that our free speech laws generally tolerate. It's just that those same standards are being applied to every kind of criticism-maybe-possibly-bigotry situation, and as it turns out when you do that, it starts culling people pretty quickly. Not that I believe being critical of Israel means you're antisemetic, but merely that these situation get pretty messy, and Bari Weiss is absolutely someone who exploited that situation herself to try to get a professor she didn't like fired.

Ultimately, the people involved with cancel culture criticism are so far removed from the Wal-Mart greeter or Arby's cook getting fired for saying some dumb poo poo on social media that between their clearly hypocritical application of "cancel culture" when they're on the receiving end of mass criticism, and their disinterest in actually fighting for any concrete person without any real power or platform, that I don't want to even agree with them in principle because I question their principles.

I'm happy to agree with you on the subject, however, because again, employee protections are important and should be way more robust than they already are, and not contingent on whether or not you're unionized. People gently caress up. I'm not going to hold it against them, most of the time.

Thanks. I find a lot of people on the left are resistant to this because we generally dislike the people who are frequently victims at the top, like Barbara Kay or Bari Weiss. but most of us are far less powerful to fight back or land a job at some think tank afterward should a company quietly fire us after reading a post they don’t like. The fact that people are employed to scour social media for this very purpose should give anyone interested in Canadian labour some pause.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

a primate posted:

Thanks. I find a lot of people on the left are resistant to this because we generally dislike the people who are frequently victims at the top, like Barbara Kay or Bari Weiss. but most of us are far less powerful to fight back or land a job at some think tank afterward should a company quietly fire us after reading a post they don’t like. The fact that people are employed to scour social media for this very purpose should give anyone interested in Canadian labour some pause.

the whole point of the post you quoted was that barbara kay and bari weiss AREN'T victims and ARE insulated by their position you dipshit

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

and again, if your company has people monitoring employees' social media with the intent to fire you for anything they deem a violation of their policy, you have problems that are not related to "cancel culture".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
https://twitter.com/christineeboyle/status/1287918686104240128

Vancouver city council voted to (in theory) begin the process of defunding the police, framing it as "decriminalizing poverty and supporting community-led safety initiatives". Two councillors with ties to the VPD declared a conflict of interest and the vote was otherwise unanimous.

There were over 400 speakers over a three-day public hearing, I haven't heard any of their speeches but it sounds like they were really something.

According to the motion, next steps for council are to come up with a plan to “de-prioritize policing as a response to mental health, sex work, homelessness, and substance use and to prioritize funding community-led harm reduction.”

imo this is a small step since so far nothing binding has been passed, but it's a small step in the right direction and, tentatively, a testament to the power of activism in forcing city council to confront hundreds of voices of people negatively affected by militarized police