Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I'm 99% positive that all this was just to get out of view of the cameras but...Carlos, buddy...there has to be a better way. Pretend to slip and fall. Just be messing around back there and drop the glass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
The best part is, this almost certainly did not work in the slightest. We already knew that Brother (a.k.a. Delta) was a telepath from VLR, we now know that he has some kind of body or mind control powers and he's almost certainly still awake when the other teams are running around. C-Team is probably just going to get a couple of Sean-Bots staring at them and cracking their knuckles while Zero is just like "You honestly believed that would work."

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Capfalcon posted:

Akane and Junpei deserve each other.

This is not a complement.

This is the best typo ever; that's the exact definition of "complement."

You meant "compliment." :allears:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Junpei seems to be a lot better of a person without Akane (well, in VLR at least), but pretty much.

45 years of detoxing from your ex will do that to you in most cases.

You gotta wonder if Diana's husband died in the pandemic. How much of her escaping to the moon was also getting away from him?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

mycelia posted:

Carlos ... tried. He's clearly been hanging out with Akane too long (by which I mean five days).

Capfalcon posted:

Akane and Junpei deserve each other.

Seems Akane turns everything she touches into proto-masterminds and smooth operators.

That is a compliment. :allears:

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
This is my least favorite part of the game, and every time I go back to play it I forget it happens.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 80: Force Quit: Q

On to our second Force Quit fragment. Q-Team gets an extra scene on their version of this fragment, but it's still a straight shot.

Music: CQD Ward BGM 1

Very natural standing motions.

Computer lady chimes in right away again.

Still have to have the dramatic pause, though.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but Mira almost looks disappointed here.

Har, har.

Yeah, you'd probably starve first. If you survive your murder-machine girlfriend, anyway.

Oh, but I guess the vote at 13:30 went really well.

Sounds like everyone spread the votes out.

Wait, forget that for now. Look at your bracelets!

00:03...?!

Yeah, there's nothing to be happy about.

The death count is zero. That's plenty to be happy over.

That being said, how about a celebratory shot?

Guess it would be pretty hard for him to have a drink.

He's got a giant metal orb on his head, remember?

Oh, that thing...

No. Of course I don't.

...It's open.

Let's check it out!

Music: Aftermath (Decontamination Room)

Why is it open...?

And what's up with this weird device...

Something's displayed on the monitor here...

It says, [To execute the Force Quit program, the central control computer must be booted.]

Central control computer?

What if... Maybe it's...

Hey! Where're you going?!

Mira turns to follow.

Poor Gab is left behind. These fragments are full of hints that won't really register if you do them early. For instance, wasn't Gab also in this part of the fragment for C-Team? That's a hint that they aren't really at the same time. The fact that C-Team's task was to open the box, and Q-Team now has it open, is another subtle hint; you can still see this scene even if you haven't completed C-Team's Force Quit fragment. When I played these originally, I didn't even come close to picking up on either of those.

Music: Mischievousness (Consternation Remix)

Where...are we?

The map says we're in...

The Quantum Computer Dome.

What?

Anyway, I think they mean this when they say "central control computer".

A console pops out of the floor as we approach.

Looks like we're gonna need another password.

So what about that thing?

Wait...

Another white flash of morphogenetic insight!

Know what?

The way you start up the system!

First, we need to get the cover off. There's no way we can insert the plug if we don't...

The plug?

I think...the number is...

Heartbeats.

Again, this isn't really a decision.

Music: Ambidexterity 2nd Mix

We either know the code, or we don't. So let's see what happens if we don't enter it, or get it wrong a few times:

Music: Bereavement

Um... What was it?

Eric groans.

Come on...

Slow fade back to Team Select.

However, if we followed the Q-Team: Transporter Room fragment all the way to the end, we instead get reminded of where we learned the proper code.

What's the code?

Code?

Don't play dumb. The code to open the drat cover.

Then put it in.

And we're looped right back to the decision screen again.

I wrote this one down, too. We want the second set of numbers.

I figured out what this code means, by the way. If you divide it by two, you get 19040416, which is the same as the helmet code but reversed. So another reference to Delta's probable arrival date via the transporter - April 16th, 1904.

We choose...to proceed with the story, I guess.

Music: Initiation (Preamble)

Ah! It opened!

Now all we have to do is insert the plug here.

Oh, right, this again.

If we input the right numbers here...

...What?

W-Wait.

Um...

Do you even know what should go there?

Helmet-head nods.

The numbers... The numbers are, um...

More heartbeats. Are they really going to make us put this code in again?

Ugh, guess so.

Music: CQD Ward BGM 3

This decision is kind of dumb. The only way we could have gotten the previous code was to enter the helmet code in that fragment in the first place. Whatever, let's see what happens if we forgot it or something.

Music: CQD Ward BGM 2

Wait. What were they again?

Kind of.

At this point I assume we'd go back to Team Select, if we cheated on the first code and never saw the helmet code scene in the Quantum Computer Dome fragment.

Instead we get the flashback to when we learned the code again.

Wh-What are you saying...

Be sure you remember that number. A time will come when it will be handy.

Re-routed back to the decision screen again.

We want the top set of numbers this time.

Music: Aftermath (Decontamination Room)

Eric watches Sean's head roll by.

You're... You're...

Eric screams, freaking out a fair bit here. Which is fair, really. We fade to black to give Eric time to recover...

Music: Clarification 2nd Mix

How can I?!

For real, could you maybe do something about it...?

That's a good point. We just learned that Mira is Zero's accomplice, at least to some extent. So did she already know about Sean?

Well, I...

I thought my heart was in my throat...

Or a throat, for that matter. Did you see the dude's neck?

Did you say when you "first" found out?

It's not clear how much Mira knows about the morphogenetic field shenanigans going on here, either.

In the past...in another history...

When I saw what I looked like earlier...

Another rapid-sequence flash incoming...

That looks like at least one shot from every Q-Team fragment, just like with C-Team.
  • Q-Team's execution, featuring Sean
  • Decontamination Room, examining the button
  • Decontamination Room, acid shower
  • Biolab fragment, Mira stabbing Eric after we injected ourselves with Radical-6
  • Biolab fragment, talking to the "old man" after not injecting ourselves with Radical-6
  • Pod Room fragment, discovering the strangled Mira
  • Pod Room fragment, facing down Eric's shotgun
  • Pod Room fragment, finding the yellow door and the hint at the bottom of it
  • Study fragment, the triangle face-off (I still think Eric is actually aiming at Delta, here)
  • Study fragment, after shooting Eric and learning Mira's back story
  • Quantum Computer Dome fragment, learning Sean's story
  • Transporter Room fragment, after Eric shoots Carlos
  • Transporter Room fragmetn, after Delta is revealed
Q-Team has two fewer puzzle rooms than the other teams. Two fewer fragments overall than C-Team, too.

Music: Quantum Computer Dome (Q)

Anyway, we've still got a job to do here.

That is where I think, perceive, and send command signals to this body.

I'm not sure I've ever been talked down to that hard before. I guess Eric does need it broken down pretty thoroughly, though.

Did you know? A quantum state is one where all possibilities overlap and co-exist. This Quantum Computer then, is able to use this state and run, say, simulations A, B, and C simultaneously.

Basically, my brain is in an infinite number of worlds and possibilities. So I can use that framework and...

There's a theory... Human consciousness may be a result of quantum effects in the brain. It's called "Quantum Mind"... It's more or less suggesting a human brain is a form of quantum computer.

Sean nods.

I guess I should explain everything then...

Fade to black...

Sean entered the code off-screen for us this time.

His head makes a heavy clunk each time it falls off and hits the floor. Why doesn't he catch it or something? Is it just that durable that it doesn't matter?

We mercifully look away while the cables snake out of Sean's neck and into the console.

What did you just do...

Eric is properly horrified-sounding here.

Ah, just a little something.

Some serious techno-magic going on here I guess.

Interference causing a camera to go out, maybe?

Oh, it happened here, too.

Maybe all the cameras in the room are going down. Come to think of it, where is our fourth team member right now?

And they're offline entirely. I forgot one of the biggest hints for Delta. The whole fade to static motif after each team is knocked out at the end of a fragment is a sign that you're watching them through cameras.

Music: Solitary Snail

We're stuck at a black screen for several seconds, then we return to the Lounge.

Nothing changed, huh...

That we can see. But it looks like the message changed?

Yes. I started up the system earlier.

It says, [Force Quit program on standby. To initiate, two key items must be set.] What does that even mean...

The key items are...

A mother's mementos...?

Does that mean they're hidden around here somewhere?

I don't think we have the time.

Looks like it's time to pass the baton to D-Team!

drat, guess our time's up...

Bodies fall.

Fade to static...

Two down, one to go!

D-Team will be up next. I don't have anything handy written down for this one, but we already know what we're looking for. What are the mother's mementos?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I half expected Mira and Eric to murder Sean when you messed up the helmet password.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I half expected Mira and Eric to murder Sean when you messed up the helmet password.

Eric doesn't have a shotgun yet.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The mementos are the brooch and whatever Diana gave Delta. Are we gonna mug Delta and Phi?

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

The mementos are the brooch and whatever Diana gave Delta. Are we gonna mug Delta and Phi?

Well, given that Phi and Diana are alive on this path then Phi will still have her brooch and Diana will still have the blue bird music box (the item gifted to Delta).

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

When I first played this part, I had already used the code to unlock Sean's helmet in the last timeline, so I thought that it was safe to erase it.

That was annoying.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Onmi posted:

Yet.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Onmi posted:

It occurs to me that once he's out, Eric theoretically has a countably infinite number of shotguns. :unsmigghh:

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
The mementos are the silver brooch and the blue bird.

If the pattern of the 'viewpoint' character for each team remembering every other history holds true for Diana, that's going to be interesting.

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
Obviously its Gab and the Glasses.

(Really though its the Brooch and the Blue Bird Music Box.)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

OddHaberdasher posted:

The mementos are the silver brooch and the blue bird.

If the pattern of the 'viewpoint' character for each team remembering every other history holds true for Diana, that's going to be interesting.

"I have a man! And a daughter! And a son! ...oh god, I didn't raise him right at all."

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
mira being annoyed at eric for not accepting this small child is a robot after A WHOLE HOUR is just
one of the funniest things in the game to me

"get the gently caress over it nerd"

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Oh god DIana is going to realize Sigma's her husband, Phi's her daughter, and the mastermind is her son, right?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Eeepies posted:

Oh god DIana is going to realize Sigma's her husband, Phi's her daughter, and the mastermind is her son, right?

She's also gonna remember watching her children starve to death

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Not if she starves to death first :smug:

Discomusic
Aug 8, 2016

DKII posted:

That's a good point. We just learned that Mira is Zero's accomplice, at least to some extent. So did she already know about Sean?

It may just be the fact that she's emotionless.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Also notice that, once again, we get no bracelets in the fainting shot. You can kiiiinda squint and see Eric's, but it's not super clear.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I like to assume Sigma found a way to painlessly kill them all do that wouldn't happen. Maybe he blew up the transporter.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

Truthkeeper posted:

I like to assume Sigma found a way to painlessly kill them all do that wouldn't happen. Maybe he blew up the transporter.

They also found the "Do Not Press This Button" button in one of the timelines, so they can always do that.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

dotchan posted:

They also found the "Do Not Press This Button" button in one of the timelines, so they can always do that.

Remember that the entire point of that particular timeline is to ensure Delta's birth. Thus he disabled all ways for his parents to easily kill themselves. He disarmed the huge bomb so presumably he disarmed the button too.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
D-Team: Family

Q-Team: All connected through Mira. Eric is dating her, and she's helping Delta, who Sean is the assistant to

C-Team: 2 childhood friends in love and Carlos. What's his connection to them?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

D-Team: Family

Q-Team: All connected through Mira. Eric is dating her, and she's helping Delta, who Sean is the assistant to

It's like someone said earlier, Delta must really hate Eric. He put him on the team where his teammates are all either working for Zero or are Zero himself. :allears:

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Eric shotgunning everyone is actually the only reasonable action anyone takes.

rko
Jul 12, 2017

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Perhaps Delta just saw the canon ship sailing ahead in the future? I mean who knows how things pan out after this, what polycule couldn’t be improved by a hot American firefighter who just cares about keeping promises and helping his sister?

It’s clear from the last C-Team fragment that there’s chemistry!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
D-Team is Biology.

C-Team is Chemistry.

Q-Team is... Physics?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

rko posted:

Perhaps Delta just saw the canon ship sailing ahead in the future? I mean who knows how things pan out after this, what polycule couldn’t be improved by a hot American firefighter who just cares about keeping promises and helping his sister?

It’s clear from the last C-Team fragment that there’s chemistry!

So all this is just a setup so Delta can watch a live three-way with a hot fireman?

...I'll allow it.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

ApplesandOranges posted:

D-Team is Biology.

C-Team is Chemistry.

Q-Team is... Physics?

Quantum physics, no less! :science:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

mycelia posted:

Quantum physics, no less! :science:

Q-team Physics

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
The quite quirky quadruple of questers question their quandary, quietly quoting quantum quips to quantify their quibbles.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Nidoking posted:

The quite quirky quadruple of questers question their quandary, quietly quoting quantum quips to quantify their quibbles.

Life is simply unfair. Don't you think?

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 81: Force Quit: D

We know what the deal here is by now, let's jump in.

Music: Placidity 2nd Mix

This animation also looks familiar. It's not the same as when they're about to be acidified in the Decontamination Room, though.

Once again, computer lady chimes in right away.

First Phi line in about...22 updates? Wow, it's been awhile. That's a quarter of the game with Phi on the sidelines.

00:03...?!

Our memories end after we voted at 13:30.

Hey look! The box...!

Box?

The Force Quit Box!

Oh looks, it's open again. Or still.

Music: Consternation 2nd Mix

Why is it open...

No idea...

There's text displayed on the monitor.

[Force Quit program on standby. To initiate, two key items must be set.] How about that...

[Each is a mother's memento]...?

Diana, does any of that ring a bell for you...?

Diana cries out and falls.

Hey, what's wrong?!

My head... My head...

Brief morphogentic flash of white as Diana is struck with memories. Horrible, horrible memories.

Did you remember something?!

But if that's true... Then the key items we need to insert are...

Heartbeats. Those shapes in the lower corners do look somewhat familiar...

Music: Tough Decision (Make Your Choice)

Do we know the answers here? Well let's see what happens if we don't, anyway.

Music: Clarification 2nd Mix

Huh. I wonder why I...?

We get dumped back to Team Select as usual. Trying again requires re-entering the fragment.

...Unless we've seen the Twins End, of course. Then we get a flashback showing us the mementos in question.

First for Phi...

Then for Delta...

With one final hint...

We're forced back into the decision screen.

Got several variations on these, but here are the correct answers. I much prefer this lock (and the yellow door one) to the ones that are just "Zero told us a code somewhere, and we put it in here". It's a little open-ended but the fixed text width helps get the answers into the right form.

We jump right into the flashback sequence here. Like the other teams' versions, we have a little bit of everything.
  • D-Team being executed, featuring Diana
  • Decontamination Room, staring at the button
  • Decontamination Room, taking an acid shower
  • Healing Room, also staring at the button
  • Healing Room, Sigma killed by Mira
  • Manufacturing, arming the bomb
  • Trash Disposal Room, Sigma locked in place with the gun at his head
  • Trash Disposal Room, suffering from poison after shooting a blank round
  • Trash Disposal Room, flashback to Dcom after Phi is burnt up
  • Locker Room, finding the six bodies in the Pod Room after opening the yellow door
  • Transporter Room, depressed left-behind Diana turning to alcohol
  • Transporter Room, stranded Sigma and Diana hooking up
  • Transporter Room, the birth of the twins
D-Team gets the same five puzzle rooms as C-Team, but two fewer overall fragments. Mostly due to C-Team needing extra fragments for all that SHIFTing around they've been doing...

Music: Blue Bird Lamentation 2nd Mix

Missing Lip Animations: 68

Hold on this shot for several seconds...

Suddenly--

Sigma and Phi seem to receive some morphogenetic insight...

Diana, you're...

We haven't actually gotten confirmation that this Phi is the grown-up version of the baby we made in the Transporter Room, but that seems like a pretty clear sign.

Sigma walks over to join his family.

This is enough for now...

Diana continue to cry tears of...well, probably a complicated mix of emotions, actually.

Yeah, that's actually it for that fragment. The shortest of the three, by far. And nothing strange going on, either. We didn't even actually put the mementos into the box. A side effect of D-Team being chronologically last, I'm sure.

However, by completing all three Force Quit fragments, we've now unlocked the last fragment.

This final fragment is actually shared by all three teams. Everything is now unlocked. So next time we'll get to see...the Final Decision.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

That scene gets me every time.

And for entries into the FQB, the scene where she leaves them the items specifically calls them a brooch and music box to make sure you know what words the game's looking for.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I think I remember not being interested in D-Team when I first played this game due to their team feeling the most safe and having the least conflict. Even before the reveal that Diana was Phi's mother, I already figured that there would be little conflict or interest there given we already knew that Diana was the basis for Luna and lived on the Moon with him for some time before VLR began properly.

Looking back on this game, though, it's really nice to have wholesome moments like these that make you care about the characters to balance out everyone else being awful. Even if Phi is gone for way too long for my liking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Eeepies posted:

You’re correct but it’s also only barely in the top 5 most awkward things someone morphogenetically remembered here. I have on opinion on what #1 is, but... for now I’ll just let it sit.