Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
I run into that far more often on pc. Especially on games like Killing Floor 2 which is practically reich bait. Run into people with straight up Nazi flags and Lightning bolts in their steam tags.

Meanwhile Xbox is usually a lot more tame. Even on ESO on Xbox people tend to just not be as just outright jerk off crazy in voice chat. Again, all anecdotal. Could just be my experrence. I also dont spend a ton of time IN voice chat with randoms. When i have its certainly been tamer games like Elder Scrolls, or playing Sea of Thieves. I keep chat muted in stuff like Battlefront 2 or Halo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What is the political leanings of Ouya gamers?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
oh ok that explains it I have a digital copy and a non pro

I'm gonna buy XL and no one can stop me

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Howard Schultz for president

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Barred from voting

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!

I said come in! posted:

Eating the chads on the ballot.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

If we’re doing this I’m going to put it out there.. stadia = libertarians

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I said come in! posted:

Anarchists

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!

ethanol posted:

If we’re doing this I’m going to put it out there.. stadia = libertarians

Port Desert Bus to Stadia you cowards. I wanna see a data cap cry.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I hope xbox can put people who dont lie and obfuscate in charge one day i find their messaging really tiresome to understand and its like a psyop to confuse customers who havent realized that nothing they've said since phil took over in 2015 with the way rotr was "exclusive" can be trusted.
I want to know that when i watch their marketing i dont have to second guess everything.
I felt like shawn layden at sony was the same way and seeing him gone and sucking sour grapes about it in the press owns. Reggie being out at nintendo also owns despite him being a pretty fun figurehead cause NoA exists just to lie to american nintendo fans about mother 3 maybe coming one day etc.
I feel like when creepy rear end mark cerny talks to me he tells me more or less the truth and thats rare in games fandom.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
What are you second guessing?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Just look at any aaron greenburg tweet.

The most recent example is:

Xbox is all about cross gen!
(But most of the games we are making after halo are not crossgen and years away/still in preproduction)

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I could see the tipping point for when Microsoft stops making its games still for Xbox One being when xCloud is all upgraded to Series S or X boxes, so all new/Gamepass games can technically still be played from an Xbox One via streaming.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
How did I miss the Crossfire X beta? I didn't even hear about this game until last week's Xbox event but it seems like my cup of tea.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I really want to get Skater XL tonight/tomorrow but goddamn do I NOT WANT to learn a new control system that isn't Skate :(

I might just wait and see how the animations look in people's launch vids. I really like their focus on recreating real spots but the animations are my last hang up based on the pre-release footage.

I think between the really nice looking replay capture system and all the real spots in the game I might have to plunk down the money. It's gonna be a long rear end wait for skate 4.

i've been waiting for 1.0 to launch on steam even though the physical game is in stores here already. Its good, its not that different to skate tbh, i hope they add a manual revert or something in the final release. Its no Skate 3 but I wanted something I could play on my computer. The control system isn't really that different, if anything its slightly less detailed than skate in the beta at least so you probably wouldn't have to unlearn any habits for skate 4

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

if you all want to play a good skating game, just wait for tony hawk's pro skater, k?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Back in the day there was no video export for skate 1&2 so some goon created a site that could somehow capture and save them online. I was one of the first people to upload there so I put up some ridiculous Tony Hawk esque line with a billion flip-in flip-out grinds down a giant Hubba staircase as like a high score type thing. But the video culture around it quickly evolved to being more realism and skate-vid recreation based so every comment on it was like "FUCKKIN GO BACK TO THPS YOU FUKKIN LOSER" even though like the latter kind of video is way more my thing too lol

I've actually been piling up semi-realistic skate 3 clips during quarantine to put together a vid someday

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Goonskate was awesome site. Only thing I regret is not having any backups for the footage I uploaded there. All gone now. :sigh:

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

hambeet posted:

if you all want to play a good skating game, just wait for tony hawk's pro skater, k?

*comes right at you and then stops just short, straining, as if I am being physically held back*

LET ME DO IT LET ME loving END HIM

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

adhuin posted:

Goonskate was awesome site. Only thing I regret is not having any backups for the footage I uploaded there. All gone now. :sigh:

..like wallet chains rusting in the rain...

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

also just realised sessions console release is xbox exclusive :smug: suck on THAT playstation

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

*comes right at you and then stops just short, straining, as if I am being physically held back*

LET ME DO IT LET ME loving END HIM

let's play a realistic skating game. *spends more time getting back on the board than actually skating*

gee that was fun.

OR

you could just press X to grind around the entire rim of an in ground pool and have some fun

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah sessions was an e3 2018? Xbox game announcement

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I honestly don't know if I've ever seen a series get it's lunch eaten so hard than Skate -> THPS. Like overnight everyone was like "oh wait this is what a skateboarding game is supposed to be" lmfao

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Nah they're just different takes on a skateboarding game, and there's room for both. That's like comparing Burnout to Gran Turismo and saying one is the way racing games are supposed to be.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I honestly don't know if I've ever seen a series get it's lunch eaten so hard than Skate -> THPS. Like overnight everyone was like "oh wait this is what a skateboarding game is supposed to be" lmfao

you dont understand, games are more fun when hambeet doesnt suck at them

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Please don't post the footage of me sucking rear end at skater xl hambeet

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

you dont understand, games are more fun when hambeet doesnt suck at them

isn't that true of anyone?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Please don't post the footage of me sucking rear end at skater xl hambeet

i didn't record it but i should have

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

yeah THPS is just an arcade skating game, it's not a skating simulator which skate and session probably sit more towards.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

hambeet posted:

isn't that true of anyone?

I dunno like I think games as a way to unwind and relax is fine and legit and no worries bc i play plenty of games like that but there's something to be said about a game that actually makes you want to suck at it so you can improve as well imo like I do with skating sims

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

i guess that's me with online shooters

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

American McGay posted:

Nah they're just different takes on a skateboarding game, and there's room for both. That's like comparing Burnout to Gran Turismo and saying one is the way racing games are supposed to be.

Well I mean if we're talking simulation there is a correct answer to which one is closer to what it's supposed to be. If you hand both games to the ghost of Ayerton Senna he's gonna tell you which one is a racing game.

And I'm not sure what you're saying "nah" to, THPS was on the ropes when Skate came along but Skate proved it wasn't skateboarding as a genre that was unpopular, it was THPS itself. It's not a debate it's just what happened.

I think it's possible that there's room for both (especially if THPS goes back to the 1,2,3 drawing board) but evidence hasn't borne that out just yet.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
idk I've been a fan of skateboarding for like 30 years now and when THPS came out it was great to finally have a skateboarding game, it did an immense favor to the sport (might have even saved it), and it's immensely fun for what it is, but like 30 minutes into the Skate1 demo it was abundantly clear that THAT is what a skateboarding game always should have been. THPS is a skateboarding themed game, Skate is a skateboarding game.

Edit: It's not even like Skate is a hardcore sim game itself, it's VERY arcadey, but the way you interact with the world, the animations and what it's built to reward is just 100% more aligned with what skateboarding actually is. Burnout and GT fundamentally both get MOST of what makes racing fun correct: driving fast, passing other people, skidding around corners, trying to survive turns without oversteer/understeering, great looking cars, etc. One of them skews arcade and one of them skews sim. One of them is much more aligned with driving a real life car, even if it's not exactly the same it's trying to best represent what makes driving an actual car interesting and fun. Skate is doing the same thing.

THPS was always arcadey because they needed that hook to get people to play and they were making a brand new thing that no one had ever tried, so they had to use gaming references that may or may not have been the best representations of actual skateboarding. For example, grinding/sliding in real life skateboarding is not really primarily an exercise in balance it's more about maintaining speed and stance through a maneuver. 90% of the time once you're actually grinding something you're not trying to balance yourself left and right to stay on, you're trying to KEEP the balance you already had on the board through the grind. So to someone who knows skateboarding, even if it's just by sight/videos, it feels more natural to leave out the THPS style L/R balance game for grinds. Even if at first it seemed sort of natural and necessary to the kind of challenge/game that THPS is.

It's sort of possible to play THPS in a way that resembles real skateboarding, but it's not built FOR true representation of the sport (just like Burnout isn't built as a true representation of IRL racing). It's not anyone's fault or whatever, no one had ever actually done it before, no one was actually asking them (or anyone) for a sim skateboarding/extreme sport game, it wasn't even a concept until like that old rear end Thrasher game or Dave Mirra's BMX came along.

Edit: I like skateboarding and skate a lot.

edit2: the more apt comparison here would be if the only racing game we had for 15 years was Twisted Metal and all of a sudden we got Burnout. Like yeah of course Twisted Metal is a driving game, of course it's good, but Burnout is MORE of a driving game and it's a better representation of why people enjoy driving around in fast cars IRL.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 28, 2020

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

it is incredibly awesome that I am reminded of dave mirras freestyle bmx once a week in ths xbox thread bc that game loving ruled

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

American McGay posted:

What are you second guessing?

I have a lot more fear about Microsoft commitment to producing a game than Sony based off of the last few years. Crackdown 3 took forever to be an ok diversion on Game Pass after years of hype and flashy trailers.

I couldn’t even get excited about a new Fable without assurances that it’s a single player RPG. Watch it be Fable Legends Rebranded. Do we know who’s making it?

I’m more hopeful for Avowed. Obsidian is pretty dependable. Microsoft needs to provide money and let them finish/

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fable is from the people who made Forza Horizon, I thought.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

fable but you're attending a ren faire and you need to get enough fans to unlock jousting

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

i'd actually play that tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc