Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Len posted:

The owner of the daycare my fiancee works at drives an Escalade and her husband has some fancy sports care, she thinks it's a Ferrari of some kind?

She just now makes over $10/hr and has been there almost two years

It's a 5 star step up to quality day care center so they get money from the state and could absolutely afford more but that would stop number going up

Yup my kids preschool is a non profit attached to a university and it's like $30/day/child cheaper than all the for-profit ones around us.

Even so it's like $160/week with government funding or $270/week before they're 3 years old and become eligible for govt funding.

So absolutely it could be cheaper, but the problem (at least in NZ) is the lack of govt funding as much or more than it is the owners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

If you qualify for ODJFS support I think it's like $30 no matter what daycare you go to which is rad and we've known families that pulled their kids from lovely centers to put them in big fancy ones and I don't blame them. If it's going to cost you the same I would send my kid somewhere that has funding and budgets ya know?

The problem is just like everything else in America I'm pretty sure if you work minimum wage at 40 hours a week you don't qualify but only just barely

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Mechafunkzilla posted:

No loving way that's real

what you Americans don't understand is that your liberalism is like little baby. we got real liberalism up in Canada.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Len posted:

The owner of the daycare my fiancee works at drives an Escalade and her husband has some fancy sports care, she thinks it's a Ferrari of some kind?

She just now makes over $10/hr and has been there almost two years

It's a 5 star step up to quality day care center so they get money from the state and could absolutely afford more but that would stop number going up

I can't help but have an opinion that state regulations have had a huge hand in making childcare unaffordable for many. I understand people want a safe environment for their children. But some of the rules and regulations pushed on daycares in some states makes it impossible to operate without charging a shitload.

I have seen this side of it, as my mother worked at, and then owned and operated a daycare for 30 years. All of my childhood. For that entire time she had a spotless record, parents where happy, children where happy.

She charged the least she could get by with, less than $100 per week. Just barely made enough to keep the place afloat and pay a worker or two. She wanted to be affordable as possible for people because there was very little affordable childcare in town.

Then the state started pushing the "Paths to Quality" program which was going to basically force every daycare to become a full on preschool among other things (if you wanted more than a 1 star rating) The basic "home daycare" category was heavily frowned upon and could only ever qualify for a "1-star". What they were now pushing to maintain daycare licenses would have doubled if not tripled her expenses meaning prices would have needed to rise along with it.

Due primarily to that, and secondarily, health issues, she closed the daycare and got out of the business entirely. She tried to pass it off to her two workers, but neither of them wanted the responsibility under the new "Paths To Quality" rules. More than half of the home daycares in the city closed that year (or at least started operating without a license) primarily due to the new program.

All that was really left was the large daycare centers that charged $200+ a week for a single child and so it remains to this day.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

stevewm posted:

States making daycare more expensive

To what end? To stop low-income people having kids? Or to rake in more off people who do?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

nexus6 posted:

To what end? To stop low-income people having kids? Or to rake in more off people who do?

Regulatory capture from large, for-profit daycare centers to advantage themselves in the marketplace. Same crap we've seen in the industrial food industry in years past and now in social media: https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2020/03/earn-it-bill-governments-not-so-secret-plan-scan-every-message-online

It's inevitable that these regs are branded as protective but are written to advantage incumbent, highly profitable businesses and protect them from competition from smaller organizations and businesses that can't meet regulatory hurdles.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

Regulatory capture from large, for-profit daycare centers to advantage themselves in the marketplace. Same crap we've seen in the industrial food industry in years past and now in social media: https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2020/03/earn-it-bill-governments-not-so-secret-plan-scan-every-message-online

It's inevitable that these regs are branded as protective but are written to advantage incumbent, highly profitable businesses and protect them from competition from smaller organizations and businesses that can't meet regulatory hurdles.

If definitely seemed like it. The way the "Paths To Quality" qualifiers were written, large daycare centers where already 4-5 star rated from the get go. Your basic home daycare licensee could never get more than 2 stars, and that was only if they followed a list of ridiculous new rules and regulations. Otherwise it was 1-star.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

nexus6 posted:

Who knows. All it did was make childcare more expensive in the name of "safety". When the rules for daycare licenses were already pretty strict to begin with

In my state, daycares get no subsidies. At least they didn't at the time my mother operated hers. There are some grant programs available, but they require certain "Paths To Quality" milestones to be met. Thus automatically locking out anyone but large daycare centers.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

stevewm posted:

Who knows. All it did was make childcare more expensive in the name of "safety". When the rules for daycare licenses were already pretty strict to begin with

In my state, daycares get no subsidies. At least they didn't at the time my mother operated hers. There are some grant programs available, but they require certain "Paths To Quality" milestones to be met. Thus automatically locking out anyone but large daycare centers.

Willing to bet that somewhere when this thinking began, some politicians wife or kid ran a daycare center and this was a way to get them on the grift and get paid etc etc

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

stevewm posted:

like what

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I'm sure there is a certain amount of grift and general poo poo in the system, especially in the USA, but my experience here in Denmark is that 1-3 year daycare is way more than just a place to put your kids while you work. The staff (who we've been extremely lucky with) are doing a lot of professional pedagogy that I never even imagined, and it has really helped my son in a bunch more ways than some non-educated home daycare could realistically manage.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

BonHair posted:

I'm sure there is a certain amount of grift and general poo poo in the system, especially in the USA, but my experience here in Denmark is that 1-3 year daycare is way more than just a place to put your kids while you work. The staff (who we've been extremely lucky with) are doing a lot of professional pedagogy that I never even imagined, and it has really helped my son in a bunch more ways than some non-educated home daycare could realistically manage.

this has also been my experience in california. they give us a daily rundown of what activities and materials they run the kids through, it's a far cry from just sitting them in front of a tv or having them run around a playground. and we're currently at a quite small daycare, less than 20 kids altogether, that isn't anything fancy or like a montessori program or anything like that

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Off the top of my head that I can remember... The higher star levels required things like strict adherence to a state approved meal plan, for which they helpfully suggested which food service supplier you should order from. Age segregation in dedicated rooms (which center licensees already had to do). Teaching with a preschool or 1st grade certified teacher on staff. Installation of sprinkler systems (which zero home daycares are going to do!... its a HOME daycare license!) Installation of fire escapes for upper floors (even if not used for daycare purposes) Participation in the state childcare waiting list program (which had an administrative fee).

This all sounds great to parents... but realize a home daycare license was/is limited to at most 12 children (14-16 depending on certain age brackets, school status, etc..) with 3 workers. So your typical home daycare is not making much. Many of these things would push the average home daycare expense beyond profitability.

In addition, the star ratings where presented by the state like you would grade a hotel. A simple home daycare that has maintained a spotless safety and inspection record for decades would still be presented as a "1 star" by the state's website with near zero chance of obtaining anything better. Seeing "1-star" kinda has a negative connotation for most people. The entire system was clearly designed to favor large daycare centers.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Am I getting whooshed? 200 $ a week for child care is absurdly cheap, mindboggling cheap. Like $800 a month is half of the cheapest daycares around here (seattle area)

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/solefed/status/1287814659995828224

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

EmbryoSteve posted:

Am I getting whooshed? 200 $ a week for child care is absurdly cheap, mindboggling cheap. Like $800 a month is half of the cheapest daycares around here (seattle area)

yeah we were paying about $1600 per kid per month in the bay area. just middle of the road stuff too. infant care was more of course

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

EmbryoSteve posted:

lol here in dc it's 500+ per week lmao at ever having children

stevewm
May 10, 2005

EmbryoSteve posted:

Around here (southern Indiana) that is around what a typical center charges. Home daycares are typically cheaper.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

what the *gently caress*

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Finally, the meat shoes we’ve been searching for.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpZL90C7s8w

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Woof Blitzer posted:

Finally, the meat shoes we’ve been searching for.

Hulk Hogan gonna take down the Colonel like he killed Gawker

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
And you people said there was no ethical consumption under captialism.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

There's an exception that proves every rule.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

EmbryoSteve posted:

yea thats about what we pay (thats only for 4 days a week). we have 2 kids but i'm over the loving moon now that the my son is going into public school kindergarten this fall and our daycare bill is cut in half.

we've actually made out like bandits in all of this. daycare is cancelled, my wife and i are both working from home so she's not paying for septa/gas to travel into the city 5 days a week and the bank let us defer our mortgage so we've got thousands of extra dollars a month to dump into our credit cards and fixing up poo poo around the house.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Being in the daycare industry my entire childhood, teenage years and early adult years did one thing for me. It cemented my stance to NEVER have children!

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
In spain public school is offered for kids three years and older and it runs all day (9-5). Day care for younger kids is heavily subsidised.

I can't remember exact numbers but our daycare costs were about €140/month and for some reason the govt. reimbursed us about €50 of it.

But yeah uh the american system sounds good too ...

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

other people posted:

In spain public school is offered for kids three years and older and it runs all day (9-5). Day care for younger kids is heavily subsidised.

I can't remember exact numbers but our daycare costs were about €140/month and for some reason the govt. reimbursed us about €50 of it.

But yeah uh the american system sounds good too ...

It can be. The US is huge and there's a lot of different things going on in different areas. My school system starts kids at 3 and by the time they're 5 (and entering kindergarten) they're already reading/writing/doing math which is way better than what I was doing at 5.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

It can be. The US is huge and there's a lot of different things going on in different areas. My school system starts kids at 3 and by the time they're 5 (and entering kindergarten) they're already reading/writing/doing math which is way better than what I was doing at 5.

Uh what were you doing at 5.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Awesome, we got our son to do math when he was 4 years old in a way that would have no impact on his results later in life and probably be a net negative on his overall life experience, and it only cost us ten million dollars.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah research is showing all that Baby Einsteins stuff is.... not good

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

The Bloop posted:

Yeah research is showing all that Baby Einsteins stuff is.... not good

That whole thing seemed scammy from the first minute.

Link?

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
Everyone thinks regulation in their industry is government incompetence, it leads down the chud path of thinking TRUMP CUTS RED TAPE is good politics. I completely believe that there are a lot of regulations that end up favoring big businesses with lobbyists over mom and pop shops, but those regulations seem totally reasonable and something I might prefer for my kid in his daycare.

Actually, I’d totally take a home daycare for cheaper, but all the ones around us were booked for years. Here in the Boston area, home daycare is about 250 a week, and the big centers range from 400 all the way up to 1000 a week. luckily my wife’s job subsidizes ours, we pay about 300 a week. I have no loving clue who is paying 1000 a week but hell, people do and there are still waiting lists.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Elman posted:

Uh what were you doing at 5.

Just starting kindergarten.

That was my first experience in going to school. The system I live in now, kids have already been going to school for two years by the time they enter kindergarten.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

skooma512 posted:

That whole thing seemed scammy from the first minute.

Link?

Here's an article saying it does jack poo poo

Sci-hub link for cool pirates https://sci-hub.se/https://doi.org/10.1177/0956797610384145

The abstract undersells it. The babies who watch the garbage baby media without parental involvement and teaching do slightly worse at learning words than the control group. While the babies who get teaching from their parents while watching do slightly better than control, they do way way way way worse than kids who just straight spend time learning from their parents.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

spacetoaster posted:

Just starting kindergarten.

That was my first experience in going to school. The system I live in now, kids have already been going to school for two years by the time they enter kindergarten.

That's areally, really lovely system that fucks up their development for the sake of "impressing" the dumbass parents, hth.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think Baby Einstein stuff is crappy too, but let's not overlook "N=18, split across 4 groups" in that study.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

BonHair posted:

The center I worked at was a non-profit church ran place. They used the playground fund to recarpet the sanctuary and had the day care and church money all in the same account. The church got a fancy new sign for out front and we had to let three people go because there was no money.

Then they put a new director in charge and she was told "you get a bonus if you get more kids in here" and just accepted anyone who put in an application so there were times we had an illegal ratio of infants to adults and some kids shared cribs which was not okay.

The ceiling leaked so all winter long there was a portable baby gate looped around a bucket in the middle of the infant room. The official stance was "the type of roof we have leaks and there's nothing we can do about it"

The director once forgot to tell a parent her kid ate poop on Wednesday at pick up, kid got pink eye over the weekend, and they found out Monday from me that he at poop the last day he was there.

I eventually called the state and reported us because I couldn't take it anymore. The state came in decided every complaint was accurate and justified. The treasurer of the church threatened lawsuits on whoever did it, the director cleaned out her desk one night, then the treasurer left when she found out how much the next director was going to get paid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

steinrokkan posted:

That's areally, really lovely system that fucks up their development for the sake of "impressing" the dumbass parents, hth.

It's socialized daycare.