Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I bought UT99 on Steam last year, just to atone for my piracy sins back in highschool. It's a remarkably modular game - some fan wrote a new renderer for it that you can just drop in alongside the multiple ones it came with. With that, it's still very playable.

Actual maybe-unpopular game opinion: UT99 was always a more fun LAN FPS than Quake 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Bombing run was the best ut game mode for lan play with your friends.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
bombing run fuckin owns

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

instagib bombing run is a laugh riot at a lan party

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Shield gun bombing run is fun. On the right map it turns into really gibby handball

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

for lan parties i love stalematey games that take long and where progress requires either a stroke of insane luck or great team focus, like empire earth or instagib br

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Shibawanko posted:

for lan parties i love stalematey games that take long and where progress requires either a stroke of insane luck or great team focus, like empire earth or instagib br

:yeah:

Managing to have a breakthrough for a touchdown in a game of bombing run where a split second fuckup can bring it to a screeching halt is kickass.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
UT99 is a far better game for screwing around with weird maps and awesome weapons than Quake 3. Q3 is the better competitive deathmatch game by far but it's nowhere as fun and that's what I care about.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

signalnoise posted:

https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtournament/

They're doing one, or at least they were

Have they updated that recently? Their last blog post was in 2017. I remember playing that years ago and it was fun, I was looking forward to seeing it develop further and get more of a community.

Then Fortnite was released and, well, we can see how Epic Games turned out.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Computer viking posted:

I bought UT99 on Steam last year, just to atone for my piracy sins back in highschool. It's a remarkably modular game - some fan wrote a new renderer for it that you can just drop in alongside the multiple ones it came with. With that, it's still very playable.

Actual maybe-unpopular game opinion: UT99 was always a more fun LAN FPS than Quake 3.

rune was the best lan game

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Every once and a while I get the thought to make a thread in the retro games forum about getting a weekly UT99 server going for goon-matches but I'm not sure what the interest would be.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Saints Row 3 and 4 are boring unfunny games.

Saints Row 2 is the better game thanks in the most part to the city having varied areas and neighbourhoods.

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob

HardDiskD posted:

Saints Row 3 and 4 are boring unfunny games.

Saints Row 2 is the better game thanks in the most part to the city having varied areas and neighbourhoods.

:hmmyes:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I thought that Saints Row 1 and 2 were charming little indie titles or something because I saw no mention of them, even on the internet, till Saints Row 3 came out which was great because it led to me buying Saints Row 3 which was hilarious and fun at the time. Much like other 2011 GOTY contender Skyrim I will never go back and play it again.

Saints Row 4 is one of the laziest and most off putting games I ever paid full price for.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I skipped SR3 and found SR4 to be a perfectly acceptable, fun superhero game a la Crackdown or Prototype :shrug:

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Saints row 4 was just awful. None of the powers felt good at all, especially compared to something like Infamous.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

saints row IV is an absolute blast and i absolutely cannot fathom how someone would look at it and walk away thinking "this is super lazy"

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Excelzior posted:

I skipped SR3 and found SR4 to be a perfectly acceptable, fun superhero game a la Crackdown or Prototype :shrug:

whelp Excelzior thats probably most of the reason you didn't have a problem with it, the game was basically reskinned Saints Row 3 plus superpowers minus the ability to run well on a 360

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i am genuinely not trying to be snarky when i ask "does anything truly run well on a 360"

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

JollyBoyJohn posted:

whelp Excelzior thats probably most of the reason you didn't have a problem with it, the game was basically reskinned Saints Row 3 plus superpowers minus the ability to run well on a 360

The movement powers were also taken directly from Prototype but the map design was just the SR3 one, and they didn’t really gel together. The areas where there weren’t any skyscrapers to navigate with/over/around just felt really samey.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

food court bailiff posted:

i am genuinely not trying to be snarky when i ask "does anything truly run well on a 360"

I get what you are saying fcb - plenty ran poorly on the 360 - even flaghship games like Gears or Halo had stuttering, texture pop-in etc etc etc but Saints Row 4 always struck me as running particularly poorly.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The movement powers were also taken directly from Prototype but the map design was just the SR3 one, and they didn’t really gel together. The areas where there weren’t any skyscrapers to navigate with/over/around just felt really samey.

Man Prototype, I have not thought about that game in years. Possibly the most 6/10 game of all time

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

piratepilates posted:

Yeah, now they're just doing as much for PC gaming as steam did in like 2003, but weirdos who are scared of China conspiracies refuse to use epic game store.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Also saints row 3 is the best open-world GTA style game ever made

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I don't know if it's unpopular but I don't want Steam to be usurped or a part of platform battles. They continue to not disappoint me, the platform is very stable and easy to use, and all my poo poo is already there.

I also really enjoy Apple products, why do you ask?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Man Prototype, I have not thought about that game in years. Possibly the most 6/10 game of all time

The sequel did a lot to fix the flaws of the first one, especially the “infinite offscreen rocket stunlocking”. If you haven’t played 2 it’s worth checking out when it goes on sale. It’s a bit simplified in some respects but I really like it.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Saints Row 3 is loving excellent and has probably the best map in the "kill people in a city and do goofy missions" genre by far. While SR4 is really dull, derivative, and I have no clue why it wasn't an expansion pack for its far superior predecessor.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

jokes posted:

I don't know if it's unpopular but I don't want Steam to be usurped or a part of platform battles. They continue to not disappoint me, the platform is very stable and easy to use, and all my poo poo is already there.

I also really enjoy Apple products, why do you ask?

The steam sale this year was the best one in like 5 years, because they finally had some compitition to get them off their rear end.

Steam literally saved pc gaming back in the day, and then stagnated to a disgraceful level.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Saints Row 3 remastered is good fun

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Fashionable Jorts posted:

The steam sale this year was the best one in like 5 years, because they finally had some compitition to get them off their rear end.

Steam literally saved pc gaming back in the day, and then stagnated to a disgraceful level.

The allure of pumping out low-effort TF2 hats and CSGO hats for easy money is tempting.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I am a fan of saints row 4, and it's a small fan club I know.
I also know that we are made up exclusively of people who have not played 3 :v:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Sr4 is decent but I would like to have seen the original sr4 design before they had their budget cut and had to resort to reusing much of 3 to put something releasable out

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I enjoyed playing SR4 as Nolan North.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

peter gabriel posted:

I am a fan of saints row 4, and it's a small fan club I know.
I also know that we are made up exclusively of people who have not played 3 :v:

Saints row 4 is a blast, but definitely feels like it was rushed. By no means is it a Bad game, its just a 7/10 when SR 3 is 10/10 and SR 2 is 9/10.

Gat out of Hell sucked though.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

piratepilates posted:

Have they updated that recently? Their last blog post was in 2017. I remember playing that years ago and it was fun, I was looking forward to seeing it develop further and get more of a community.

Unreal Tournament was canned a while ago. There will be no more updates.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

food court bailiff posted:

saints row IV is an absolute blast and i absolutely cannot fathom how someone would look at it and walk away thinking "this is super lazy"

Yeah, it was a blast. I found 3 fairly dull and draggy by comparison but I only played a bit of it.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Saints Row 3 loving owns

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Good soup! posted:

Saints Row 3 loving owns

I think if you play 3 and 4 you're going to like the first one you play more than the second

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I only ever played SR4 so that seems to track.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Barudak posted:

Resident Evil 2 Remake also has a paid $2 (Maybe 1 dollar sometimes) dlc to get the bonus stuff you get for S ranking the game.

I think the worst all time is SEGA adding a paid "extra blood" DLC to all of their Warhammer titles that does nothing but add more of the same blood texture effects/sprites, and usually looks like total poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

that kinda makes sense because it lets them market total war games with a Teen rating and then have a M rated dlc that adds blood/dismemberment

it does look really stupid though, they really overdo the blood decals in total warhammer and all the troops look the same once fighting starts because they're covered in blood. It also supposedly really hurts performance in big fights.