Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

...when did the thread title become nonsensical?

Like two years ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

orange juche posted:

I don't know what you're talking about, this is the gaming food megathread.

Eat your cheetos with chopsticks so you don't get oily orange residue on your controller.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mymla posted:

This is honestly almost as big a problem with the game as the ending. Someone decided that it was Important to cater to call of duty players who've never played an RPG before, so dialogue was designed to not matter.
And the story was written to awkwardly force DEFEND EARTH in there as the main goal.

I was referring to Mass Effect 1. ME1 tries to maintain the illusion of giving you more than a binary choice but in reality giving you various dialogue options that all play the same audio track just means that you have to press buttons to play auto dialogue instead of it just playing without input like in Mass Effect 3. Its an illusion of choice where none really exists. The third option in ME1 or 2 doesn't benefit anyone or lead to a unique outcome; most of the time it merely cuts a conversation short and you lose out on earning paragon or renegade points.

Mass Effect 3 simply dropped the facade and made it clear there only ever were two options, and often only one. It gets a lot of backlash for this because the first two games pushed YOUR CHOICES MATTER super hard so dropping the act appeared to be more of a betrayal than it actually was.

The GMT video I posted on the last page goes into detail about how Mass Effect falls somewhere in the middle between truly blank player characters ala Fallout New Vegas and fully defined player characters like Geralt in Witcher. The games always positioned Shepard as the Hero, but the huge divide between a paragon hero and a renegade hero means that the ability to choose either option can make your Shepard come off as a bipolar sociopath. I cant help but feel that if they had pushed Shepard into a slightly more defined character (closer to Jensen in Deus Ex HR) and narrowed the choices you could make to reflect how THAT Shepard would react, you wouldn't end up with a shepard who pets kittens one minute and then sets them on fire the next.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Moola posted:

play 3, and enjoy citadel, the True Ending

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Actually I've never tried that. Can you save the Citadel DLC for after the main campaign?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Arcsquad12 posted:

Actually I've never tried that. Can you save the Citadel DLC for after the main campaign?

No, given how the game wraps up. When people say it’s the real ending they mean in the way it actually gives you a sense of if not closure, then completion. It brings back a bunch of things to tie up loose ends and let you spend a little time with characters that 3 didn’t really bring back in the main game.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The issue with Citadel is that since it, you know, takes place on the citadel, the last chance you have to do it is before you go to the Illusive Man's base, as after that point citadel's in earth orbit.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Kurieg posted:

The issue with Citadel is that since it, you know, takes place on the citadel, the last chance you have to do it is before you go to the Illusive Man's base, as after that point citadel's in earth orbit.

Which is extra hilarious since that DLC was released way after the game...

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

I suspect Citadel (and Leviathan) may not have been in the original plan for DLC

but loading a completed save game should bring you back to the Normandy just before the point of no return so you can finish up sidequests. there's also a mod that edits dialogue in Citadel so you can play it as a proper post-war epilogue sequence

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I really dislike the way the Council is presented in the later games. They're dicks in ME1 but they have a point about humans being expansionist pricks. But the later games boil them down to aloof idiots convinced they're correct. It makes me wonder if the first game's morally grey Council was intentional or not. The game definitely wants to push the "humans are being kept down!" angle and it only gets amplified in 2 and 3 with humans suddenly being the most important people ever. Just makes me wonder.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

i mean, it comes off as disingenuous when it's gradually revealed that species like the volus perform functions of immense import for the galactic community but because of their more passive, diplomatic approach they never rise above 'client species'

meanwhile all the de facto council races are locked in inner struggles of self-interest and position jockeying, preferring to advantage themselves at the expense of everyone else when it comes up, and that they'll only begrudgingly accept a new member if that prospect both strong-arms themselves politically and can supply special weapons and exceptional soldiers for the council's secret police force

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I just find it hard to be sympathetic to Udina or even Anderson in ME1 when the whole Citadel sequence railroads the two and Shepard into being raging "humanity first" fanatics with auto dialogue.
The potential is present in the first game for a more buanced look at both sides of the Council versus Humans debate but it gets rendered down into "humans best, Council idiots" really fast.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

hard counter posted:

i mean, it comes off as disingenuous when it's gradually revealed that species like the volus perform functions of immense import for the galactic community but because of their more passive, diplomatic approach they never rise above 'client species'

meanwhile all the de facto council races are locked in inner struggles of self-interest and position jockeying, preferring to advantage themselves at the expense of everyone else when it comes up, and that they'll only begrudgingly accept a new member if that prospect both strong-arms themselves politically and can supply special weapons and exceptional soldiers for the council's secret police force

Ironically, despite being the most anti-human of the bunch, the turians were the most helpful in ME3. The councilor was still amusingly dickish, but he immediately offered support if you'd just buy them the breathing room to give it to you, unlike the other two.

...But then, it kind of makes sense. The turians, as the only race to earn a council spot rather than getting it as a default, believed in the system. You have enough military and political power to contribute, you get to sit at the grownup table. If you don't, you find someone to watch your back until you can rise up. It worked for them, after all.

The asari and salarians, meanwhile, knew the real nature of the game. Where the turians saw their position as an honest day's pay for an honest day's work, they saw things as keeping the most powerful military in the galaxy from just burning the whole system down. For them, the council is cynical realpolitik, where you take all the power you can get before someone else takes it from you. It's about advantages, not obligations, and where the turians saw a duty and their finest hour, the other two saw a need to cover their own asses.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Which is extra hilarious since that DLC was released way after the game...

It's a farewell letter to the series by a team of developers that loved the games, and it shows.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Lt. Danger posted:

there's also a mod that edits dialogue in Citadel so you can play it as a proper post-war epilogue sequence

This is the best read for Citadel. It's 6 months after the end of the war, and things are returning back to normal.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Arcsquad12 posted:

I really dislike the way the Council is presented in the later games. They're dicks in ME1 but they have a point about humans being expansionist pricks. But the later games boil them down to aloof idiots convinced they're correct. It makes me wonder if the first game's morally grey Council was intentional or not. The game definitely wants to push the "humans are being kept down!" angle and it only gets amplified in 2 and 3 with humans suddenly being the most important people ever. Just makes me wonder.
The entire Citadel civilization is unknowingly being manipulated, and what they've been manipulated into is capitalist ethno-states. Their governments are all bad because that's bad. Earth just isn't trapped in that perspective yet because we're newcomers. It would actually be a bad choice on the part of the designers to have the Council be wise and forward-thinking, because their whole model of government is just awful from first premises.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

The_Doctor posted:

This is the best read for Citadel. It's 6 months after the end of the war, and things are returning back to normal.

reading it as still going on during the war is extremely funny, because it starts off with Anderson -- who is leading a resistance against a race of genocidal robot gods on a devastated Earth -- taking time out of his schedule to call you and go "hey man you seem stressed, here's my sweet bachelor pad"

how did he even afford that apartment btw, if it was in NYC it'd be hilariously expensive and space is probably also at a premium on the Citadel

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Pattonesque posted:

reading it as still going on during the war is extremely funny, because it starts off with Anderson -- who is leading a resistance against a race of genocidal robot gods on a devastated Earth -- taking time out of his schedule to call you and go "hey man you seem stressed, here's my sweet bachelor pad"

how did he even afford that apartment btw, if it was in NYC it'd be hilariously expensive and space is probably also at a premium on the Citadel

He was either the human counsel member or the adjutant to the human counsel member. He probably had enough of a stipend to afford it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kurieg posted:

He was either the human counsel member or the adjutant to the human counsel member. He probably had enough of a stipend to afford it.

Also he was a captain and then admiral involved with the construction of a new ship class...

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Kurieg posted:

hobbesmaster posted:

Also he was a captain and then admiral involved with the construction of a new ship class...

I dunno man naval officers and brass don't even make THAT much money and he hasn't even been a council member for that long. that apartment is like "I make tens of millions of dollars per year minimum" level

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

yeah I feel there was a bit of a misstep with indoctrination being seen as a kind of space-madness, when the implication was more fatalistic ideological blindness: this is how things work, they can't be changed, [(neo)liberal democracy] is the end of history. the Council are indoctrinated and always have been

but Bioware never quite figured out the details and perhaps got a bit distracted by the positive reaction to the Derelict Reaper in ME2, which leaned into the aesthetic without any substance. now indoctrination is, like, hallucinations and mind control or whatever

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pattonesque posted:

I dunno man naval officers and brass don't even make THAT much money and he hasn't even been a council member for that long. that apartment is like "I make tens of millions of dollars per year minimum" level

You're not very familiar with the way contracting works in the current real world I see...

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

he probably goes on a lot of book tours and speaking engagements

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Maybe its actually Udina's pad and thats why he sided with cerberus

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
The ending sucks, the franchise suffers for it.
They need to get a better team of writers and just start over like it never happened.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Lt. Danger posted:

yeah I feel there was a bit of a misstep with indoctrination being seen as a kind of space-madness, when the implication was more fatalistic ideological blindness: this is how things work, they can't be changed, [(neo)liberal democracy] is the end of history. the Council are indoctrinated and always have been

but Bioware never quite figured out the details and perhaps got a bit distracted by the positive reaction to the Derelict Reaper in ME2, which leaned into the aesthetic without any substance. now indoctrination is, like, hallucinations and mind control or whatever

yeah there was a great opportunity there to explore how death/threat of death impacts the thinking of living creatures, especially ones in power. Saren didn't need much direct indoctrination at first because he was (appropriately) terrified and desperately seeking a way out. i liked the first game's stance that overly aggressive indoctrination burned out advanced faculties and left victims a crazed mess.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Lladre posted:

The ending sucks, the franchise suffers for it.
They need to get a better team of writers and just start over like it never happened.

That wouldn't resolve the omnishambles that appears to be the "Bioware Magic" development process.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

You're not very familiar with the way contracting works in the current real world I see...

I mean maybe. that still seems way out of his price range

the weirder part is him using a QEC specifically to give Shepard the apartment while Anderson is sleeping on a pile of corpses

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pattonesque posted:

I mean maybe. that still seems way out of his price range

I'm implying its not his apartment and it technically belongs to whoever the prime contractor on the Normandy was.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A member if the Turian Hierarchy with a penchant for human housewares?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

Yeah, one of the not really secrets of being a Spectre is that it's mostly free rein to act as a privateer and massively enrich yourself.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Ambassador's/attaché's residence, basically EarthGov paid for it.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

I'm implying its not his apartment and it technically belongs to whoever the prime contractor on the Normandy was.

that doesn't feel like it lines up with Anderson's character!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pattonesque posted:

that doesn't feel like it lines up with Anderson's character!

How do you think you get to admiral?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

How do you think you get to admiral?

I mean sure, but they did that in-universe after he helped save the Citadel. he wasn't an admiral in ME.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I should have gone with Electronics over Assault Rifles for my Vanguard.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pattonesque posted:

I mean sure, but they did that in-universe after he helped save the Citadel. he wasn't an admiral in ME.

Yes, he was the captain of the flagship of a new class of ships and a critical international (species?) collaboration. Thats the type of job you get when you're at the top of the promotion list.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

I should have gone with Electronics over Assault Rifles for my Vanguard.

aside: I love the gameplay glow-up the Vanguard got in ME2

from "tanky biotic" to "zoom around the battle like an angry god shotgunning people in the face while constantly on the edge of death"

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Pattonesque posted:

aside: I love the gameplay glow-up the Vanguard got in ME2

from "tanky biotic" to "zoom around the battle like an angry god shotgunning people in the face while constantly on the edge of death"

Playing vanguard in ME3 on multiplayer bronze matches was such a good stress reliever. Once you got your abilities up to the right levels you were effectively invincible (unless you were up against one of those bosses that could one-shot you in melee, then it was someone else's problem).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

Playing vanguard in ME3 on multiplayer bronze matches was such a good stress reliever. Once you got your abilities up to the right levels you were effectively invincible (unless you were up against one of those bosses that could one-shot you in melee, then it was someone else's problem).

Couldn't you prevent that from happening by being on a ramp or something?