Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Honestly I never saw them cause they didn't come up in high school literature class. Also they didn't have guns in them, as far as I know. Or a scene where two of the characters bang and the teacher goes "OKAY, OKAY, SETTLE DOWN."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Hmm, tough snipe to deal with. Thankfully this is an opportunity for me to pad my posting stats by going "drat, what a snipe".

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

klapman posted:

"drat, what a snipe".

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

:b:amn :b:hat :b: :b:nipe

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

drat, what a snipe.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

klapman posted:

Honestly I never saw them cause they didn't come up in high school literature class. Also they didn't have guns in them, as far as I know. Or a scene where two of the characters bang and the teacher goes "OKAY, OKAY, SETTLE DOWN."
lol, the latter type of scene got taken out of 10 things...

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Kaoru Tsukishima retired from Holostars :( One of the male vtubers that I really enjoyed watching.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Zeether posted:

They have Initial D manhole covers in Gunma now

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Wark Say posted:

I miss Symphogear. :(

I waited so long to get into that show. Then I binged the poo poo out of it and now that Im done Im sad theres no more.

e: Chris is easily one of my favourite anime characters.

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jul 28, 2020

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

The Colonel posted:

what kinda clarification is noting that gonzo animated it, gonzo's got a lot of duds but they've also been involved with lots of solid stuff

Gonzo’s hit to miss ratio is way more miss, and it gets way way worse when you take out adaptations. Especially when their adaptations are taken out of the picture there’s almost nothing I’d say gets past the range of “good” even the stuff I have a soft spot for like Solty Rei or Speed Grapher. Maybe Last Exile.

So maybe I should have clarified that it’s a Gonzo original where their track record is definitely awful.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I might watch Symphogear one day because I played that fighting game demo Feyntan made and just going off Hibiki's moves alone it seemed really loving cool

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Its a bit slow to start but once it gets rolling its a blast to watch. Then its over and you end up with a heavy metal soundtrack sized hole in your heart that nothing else can fill.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I don't know if I'd call it slow to start, more that just the tone shifts. The first two seasons are still neck and neck for my favorite, much like Chris and Maria for best symphogear.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

scary ghost dog posted:

nichijou is different.....its not literally about animation. like try to imagine reading a carole & tuesday manga. its just pointless. then again, act-age is pretty good........not sure how they pulled that one off. great writing i suppose

one of the best comics running right now is a music comic that makes do in a visual medium

its super cool

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

they find ways to show the impact of somebody being absolutely bomb at an instrument, including visually the music physically exploding and interacting with the environment, its a very emotional comic

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Zeether posted:

Romeo X Juliet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsNBacqjfV0

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Catching Food Wars on Netflix and I'm curious about the techniques mentioned on the show as to whether I can apply that to real cooking such as making a grid pattern on a steak and then filling it with diced onions to make the meat softer,etc.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Adding wine at just the right cooking time will not, in fact, cause your pants to fly off while stars and rainbows circle around your head.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

https://twitter.com/OutofVTubers/status/1252764491214807042?s=20

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Catching up with Dumbbell anime and I like how the teacher has this worn-down sleepy look all the time.

NICE MACHO

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Wark Say posted:

Been thinking about rewatching Yona.

Just read Yona instead, until we finally get a new Yona season to cover the Water Tribe arc.

For a second I remembered it'd been a long time since the last chapter and feared the scans had gone on hiatus again, but no, it's just been 29 days and it's a monthly manga anyway.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The Colonel posted:

what kinda clarification is noting that gonzo animated it, gonzo's got a lot of duds but they've also been involved with lots of solid stuff

They haven't made any more duds than any other animation company really. The Gonzo meme must die

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Every single time a Haato video is on my Youtube feed it's her cooking stuff and one of them ended with her singing a parody of the can can

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

They haven't made any more duds than any other animation company really. The Gonzo meme must die
looking at the studio that made gankutsuou and welcome to the nhk: these guys suck because a youtuber told me the phantasy star online anime was bad

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

really oughta get around to finishing symphogear, wasn't too hot on the third season but apparently the last two are better

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Gonzo made Blue Submarine no. 6 and I will never not like that because of the music and the janky 2000s CGI

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

they were referring to gonzo original IP, not adaptations

i'm not gonna sift through a bunch of shows i heard about once more than a decade ago and never again for a quality assessment, but yeah saying anything against their adaptations would be stupid

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

though the currently active kaleido star stream has had very little good to say about it so that's one off the list

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

they find ways to show the impact of somebody being absolutely bomb at an instrument, including visually the music physically exploding and interacting with the environment, its a very emotional comic

what is this, it looks awesome

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

scary ghost dog posted:

what is this, it looks awesome

https://mangadex.org/title/10873/shiori-experience

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

Kaoru Tsukishima retired from Holostars :( One of the male vtubers that I really enjoyed watching.
that's hosed up, unless it's because kaoru is being promoted to hololive

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a cartoon duck posted:

really oughta get around to finishing symphogear, wasn't too hot on the third season but apparently the last two are better
season 3 is def. the weakest. season 4 has really good antagonists and an actually fairly strong throughline though its doesnt manage its cast that well, season 5 is all over the map but as a finale it works.

ultimately i think s1 and 2 are the strongest seasons because 6 protagonists is too many to juggle such that everyone gets screentime in 13 episode seasons, and their attempts to dos o mostly lead to a lot of filler. but it is what it is, and s4 and s5 are still good.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
gonzo=strikewitchesS1sakiS1=GOAT

they are gods walking, as evidenced by their inability to die even if you killed them

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

:thanks:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

dogsicle posted:

they were referring to gonzo original IP, not adaptations

i'm not gonna sift through a bunch of shows i heard about once more than a decade ago and never again for a quality assessment, but yeah saying anything against their adaptations would be stupid

The original post in question didn't mention anything about original ip?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

The original post in question didn't mention anything about original ip?

yeah, it was a follow-up

The Black Stones posted:

Gonzo’s hit to miss ratio is way more miss, and it gets way way worse when you take out adaptations. Especially when their adaptations are taken out of the picture there’s almost nothing I’d say gets past the range of “good” even the stuff I have a soft spot for like Solty Rei or Speed Grapher. Maybe Last Exile.

So maybe I should have clarified that it’s a Gonzo original where their track record is definitely awful.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

dogsicle posted:

yeah, it was a follow-up

Ohhh I totally missed that, my bad

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

homeless snail posted:

that's hosed up, unless it's because kaoru is being promoted to hololive

Apparently it was because they couldn't manage school/work/streaming, timewise.

Zeether posted:

Every single time a Haato video is on my Youtube feed it's her cooking stuff and one of them ended with her singing a parody of the can can

Just be glad it wasn't anything from her super cursed foot stream

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Original works make up only a fraction of gonzos output so that's moving the goalposts a bit isn't it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I guess I just want people to tell me why an anime is bad without using the studio as shorthand.