Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

meanwhile in duel links,

\

they may have overtuned some of the skills they give you for this event somewhat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Skeleton Mom posted:

meanwhile in duel links,

\

they may have overtuned some of the skills they give you for this event somewhat

Please explain that to us non Duel Link players because that looks hilarious.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

the event is a "raid duel". basically an opponent with a ridiculous number of lifepoints ranging from tens to hundreds of thousands, that players can work together to chip away at. also you only have 5 turns before the game ends in a draw. as a means of helping you deal with this, they gave blue-eyes and dark magician cards 3x damage, gave egyptian gods 5x damage, and gave you a skill where you can spend points accumulated throughout the duel to give your monsters 5x atk until the end of the turn

so here's the trick - the cap you get for those points allows you to use that skill twice in a row for a 25x multiplier. add this to the 3x blue-eyes multiplier for 75x, and chaos MAX's double piercing for 150x, and numbers start to get out of control

edit: i made my numbers bigger

Skeleton Mom fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 22, 2020

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I fell off Duel Links again and I'm super reluctant to go back because I know my decks are already falling behind, and I don't wanna have to build ANOTHER new thing to get past Platinum.

Mortlock
May 16, 2014

I dont think its too bad at the moment. you probably have most of the cards for the current KOG meta.

The main decks are from the most current box but you can still compete with some success.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Huh, Mask Change is finally in a Structure Deck, I wonder how much it’s cost to-

Masked Heroes (Tier 1) – 30,000 gems + $229

:stonklol:

Edit: Oh, it’s because Stratos is still A) attainable only via selection box, and B) gonna be at 3 until it’s not.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Despite never having watched the show or played the game, I've started watching Yugitubers (great name, btw) during lockdown to pass the time. I've got a neighbor who used to play back in the day and has expressed interest in playing again; if'n I wanted to grab some cards for an evening of Yu-Gi-Oh -ing with the expectation that they wouldn't get touched again, what would be the right thing to buy?

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Some Goon posted:

Despite never having watched the show or played the game, I've started watching Yugitubers (great name, btw) during lockdown to pass the time. I've got a neighbor who used to play back in the day and has expressed interest in playing again; if'n I wanted to grab some cards for an evening of Yu-Gi-Oh -ing with the expectation that they wouldn't get touched again, what would be the right thing to buy?

If possible, one of the video game versions. More cost efficient.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Some Goon posted:

Probably just a couple Structure Decks at your local Target or Wal-Mart

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

CommunityEdition posted:

If possible, one of the video game versions. More cost efficient.

I second this. Drop $40 on Legacy of the Duelist: Link Evolution on the Switch or something and play with a bunch of cards.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Y'all, come on.

Some Goon posted:

If you want physical cards, go for the product almost literally targeted directly towards people like you and your neighbor: Speed Duels. They use a smaller card pool and simpler rules; current "real"/"normal" Yu-Gi-Oh is basically unrecognizable compared to the old game. It also includes a mechanic where you're playing as characters from the anime, which makes it great for kitchen table high camp antics, so your neighbor should enjoy that.

As for what to buy, you've got some options. Additional bonus points, it's very cheap to get into, each of those boxes include three starter decks, so you really only need one ~$15 box for everything you'd need for some casual play. There's also booster packs and all kinds of things, but that's the road to injecting cardboard heroin into your eyes. Just get one or two of the Speed Duels starter deck boxes, either on Amazon or at a local card/comic shop, and you're all good.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jun 19, 2020

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
You two could also play a simulator called Edopro, which is free and has every card (except 1) for free.

Jueg01
Jan 26, 2015
I've been getting into the actual TCG of late because of Duel Links, and played a bit of Link Evolution.

Currently getting into building Marincess, Tenyi, and Shiranui, though I have a bunch of Dream Mirrors and Simorghs as well. Would like to do Trains and Cyber Dragons, as well.

Maybe even Gradius Ships/B.E.S. because Gradius

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Are you looking to make fun casual decks or decks you want to compete when locals start back up? We could help you to not "waste money" if its the latter, and can recommend fun things if the former.

Trains are hella fun, you can splash some infinitracks and machinas(the two good ones, their searcher, their trap) for extra fun.

You play Tenyis so you know how good they are. Imo they're worth pursuing, and can probably do well at locals and beyond. I run Mare Mare in mine, you can make a 5 headed link dragon turn 1 if you want.

Jueg01
Jan 26, 2015
I'm looking for a bit of both. I haven't been able to play a single game yet since all the stores nearby have effectively shutdown tournament play.

Tenyis I have a "playable" deck built, but I still need to get some of the key cards, so I'm considering ordering individual cards. Same thing with Marincesses.

Shiranuis would be a deck I'd like to make for myself, since I have fun playing them in Duel Links and the TCG has a bunch of cards I could experiment with.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I hope you enjoyed Sevens because it's going on hiatus again, returning August 8th for episode 10.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Blaze Dragon posted:

I hope you enjoyed Sevens because it's going on hiatus again, returning August 8th for episode 10.

These past few episodes have me extremely wary about the show, a hiatus is probably going to make it worse.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
hello yugioh friends, I bought a shoebox full of cards at a yard sale and thought it had a few yugioh cards and some magic cards but it was entirely yugioh cards aside from some magic pamphlets and an island. what would be the best resource to find if anything is worth a drat, most of it is in surprisingly decent condition. I recognize a bunch of it from when I watched the show ages ago, blue eyes white dragon, celtic guardian, all that stuff. Is there anything on the cards themselves to indicate rarity of older cards? I know nothing of YGO beyond the show and yugioh abridged, really.

box as it was:

a bunch of the guys I recognize from the show:

one of each of all the cards that have foil artwork:

japanese cards that were in there:

anything worth a drat? there's a few-inch-thick stack of cards with chrome names, dunno if that's like, the equivalent of an MTG foil or what, and like a thousand other cards that aren't shiny in any way. should I separate one of each card out and take a picture of the lot of it and post it here?

LeisureSuit Canary
Dec 27, 2012

Silver lettering means it's a rare. Foil art is a super rare. Foil art and lettering is either an ultra, ultimate, or secret rare depending on the foiling effect.

A bunch of those are old starter deck cards. Like the Dark Magicians are from starter deck Yugi. Card ID starts with SDY for starter deck Yugi.

You might have some value in the commons. Rarely the value will jump up when they suddenly find a use but I'm not up to date on the game so no idea if anything old is used right now. eBay/tcgplayer tends to work for pricing.

Your foils don't appear to be anything crazy but a card reprint will have different pricing depending on the set it was printed in. You can use the cards ID number to make sure you've got the right printing. It's a set number like SDY followed by a number for the card's place in the set.

You could try posting your pictures that might be easier than searching but that'd depend on someone here having a good idea of value.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

firrup posted:

Silver lettering means it's a rare. Foil art is a super rare. Foil art and lettering is either an ultra, ultimate, or secret rare depending on the foiling effect.

A bunch of those are old starter deck cards. Like the Dark Magicians are from starter deck Yugi. Card ID starts with SDY for starter deck Yugi.

You might have some value in the commons. Rarely the value will jump up when they suddenly find a use but I'm not up to date on the game so no idea if anything old is used right now. eBay/tcgplayer tends to work for pricing.

Your foils don't appear to be anything crazy but a card reprint will have different pricing depending on the set it was printed in. You can use the cards ID number to make sure you've got the right printing. It's a set number like SDY followed by a number for the card's place in the set.

You could try posting your pictures that might be easier than searching but that'd depend on someone here having a good idea of value.
thanks for the effortpost. yeah, I'm going through a bunch of boxes of cards I got at a yard sale, mostly magic, and this was one of them. I'll see if I can get some pictures taken eventually but if there's nothing super noteworthy I might just toss it up as a big lot, I figured something like BEWD would be the serra angel or shivan dragon where it might be iconic and might have been good once, but has long since been surpassed and everyone has one anyways so it's not worth much.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Captain Invictus posted:

thanks for the effortpost. yeah, I'm going through a bunch of boxes of cards I got at a yard sale, mostly magic, and this was one of them. I'll see if I can get some pictures taken eventually but if there's nothing super noteworthy I might just toss it up as a big lot, I figured something like BEWD would be the serra angel or shivan dragon where it might be iconic and might have been good once, but has long since been surpassed and everyone has one anyways so it's not worth much.

The problem with cards like Blue Eyes isn't that they're bad (for the record, later support made BEWD an actually pretty decent card), it's that they're really easy to get. So the only way you're going to have a version of BEWD that's worth anything is if you can get a really rare variant of it.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

from what i can tell from a cursory glance, the secret rare MRL unlimited copy of blue-eyes toon dragon might be worth a few bucks if it's in good condition. like in the $20 to $40 range. gaia the dragon champion, serpent night dragon and thousand dragon also might be worth something depending on where they're from & if they're 1st edition. i wouldn't expect anything stored in a shoebox for 10+ years to be in great condition, but it is hard to tell from the photos. the cards i mentioned don't actually see play and only have value as collector's items, so people buying them might be more picky about the condition they're in

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Skeleton Mom posted:

from what i can tell from a cursory glance, the secret rare MRL unlimited copy of blue-eyes toon dragon might be worth a few bucks if it's in good condition. like in the $20 to $40 range. gaia the dragon champion, serpent night dragon and thousand dragon also might be worth something depending on where they're from & if they're 1st edition. i wouldn't expect anything stored in a shoebox for 10+ years to be in great condition, but it is hard to tell from the photos. the cards i mentioned don't actually see play and only have value as collector's items, so people buying them might be more picky about the condition they're in
yeah, if that's the case I might pick out a few to sell individually and then just bulk the rest, do a quick skim through the lot of it to find any really jacked up cards to set aside/toss. Honestly yeah, being in a shoebox especially as the photo showed isn't doing them any favors condition-wise, but they're in surprisingly good shape considering that's where they've been sitting.

King of Solomon posted:

The problem with cards like Blue Eyes isn't that they're bad (for the record, later support made BEWD an actually pretty decent card), it's that they're really easy to get. So the only way you're going to have a version of BEWD that's worth anything is if you can get a really rare variant of it.
so kind of the current thing in MTG where the non-foil, non-borderless art versions of cards are mostly dirt cheap even for good rares(with a few exceptions), while the FULL ART FOIL $$$$ versions are big bucks comparatively.

like how the full art foil of this card is seven times more expensive than the normal foil version despite being identical gameplaywise:

alright, thanks everyone for your help! I'll do a bit more research on my own, but I think this'll likely be a bulk lot just to offload it. Or my nephew might be interested in them, I'll have to check.

Jueg01
Jan 26, 2015

Captain Invictus posted:

one of each of all the cards that have foil artwork:

Gaia the Dragon Champion is the focus of the newest set that's releasing literally this week, with an archetype-specific fusion spell that doubles its ATK and gives it a second attack.

In short, it might go up a bit in price, but the glare on it is blocking the set ID and art, which is what would really determine its worth.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

like how the full art foil of this card is seven times more expensive than the normal foil version despite being identical gameplaywise:
Congratulations, you have just described literally the entire Yugioh secondary market.

Hell, at least the Magic cards have different art. Yu-Gi-Oh players have a term specifically meaning replacing every possible card in your deck with the rarest kind of shiny version you can get each of those cards in: blinging. The best kind of foiling and color of letters at the top is different per card, by the way. It's not like you're getting some unified aesthetic here. It's just gluttony.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jul 28, 2020

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I want the next series of yugioh to be all about ritual summoning and maybe introduce more interesting ritual cards instead of just fancy tributes.

"In order to summon a monster with this card, select a vowel a, e, i, o, or u. As long as the monster you ritual summoned with this card is on the field, you may no longer play cards or activate the effects of cards with that vowel in their name"

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Congratulations, you have just described literally the entire Yugioh secondary market.

Hell, at least the Magic cards have different art. Yu-Gi-Oh players have a term specifically meaning replacing every possible card in your deck with the rarest kind of shiny version you can get each of those cards in: blinging. The best kind of foiling and color of letters at the top is different per card, by the way. It's not like you're getting some unified aesthetic here. It's just gluttony.
Magic does this too, even has the same term and everything lol

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Barudak posted:

I want the next series of yugioh to be all about ritual summoning and maybe introduce more interesting ritual cards instead of just fancy tributes.

"In order to summon a monster with this card, select a vowel a, e, i, o, or u. As long as the monster you ritual summoned with this card is on the field, you may no longer play cards or activate the effects of cards with that vowel in their name"

While not quite as ridiculous, one of the new Ritual Spells we got cares specifically about the ATK of the monsters you tribute, not the levels, so that's a change. Its archetype works for it too, since it's made out of a bunch of 2000 ATK monsters and its Ritual boss has 4000 ATK and specifically wants two tributes to get it on the field to activate its effect.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I've not played the game in a while, so maybe the new ones are better. I just want them to get more wild so they feel like a really unique Ritual thing (and can dance around the whole you need the ritual card+materials issue) that you and your opponent play around so its an engaging mechanic for both sides. .

"You may only use the ritual card if you have a face up normal monster with originally 500 or less attack points, and the monster you summon with this card cannot be destroyed by card effects or battle. If you control no face up monsters with originally less than 500 attack points, banish the monster summoned with this ritual cards".

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Barudak posted:

I've not played the game in a while, so maybe the new ones are better. I just want them to get more wild so they feel like a really unique Ritual thing (and can dance around the whole you need the ritual card+materials issue) that you and your opponent play around so its an engaging mechanic for both sides. .

"You may only use the ritual card if you have a face up normal monster with originally 500 or less attack points, and the monster you summon with this card cannot be destroyed by card effects or battle. If you control no face up monsters with originally less than 500 attack points, banish the monster summoned with this ritual cards".

Megaliths are a highly slept on ritual archetype that ritual summons using monsters instead of spells, is capable of ritual summoming from deck, and can ritual summon during the opponent's turn. It's a wild deck.

Jueg01
Jan 26, 2015

King of Solomon posted:

Megaliths are a highly slept on ritual archetype that ritual summons using monsters instead of spells, is capable of ritual summoming from deck, and can ritual summon during the opponent's turn. It's a wild deck.

I just recently made a Megalith deck, and one of the amazing things about them is that they can ritual summon other ritual monsters without needing their appropriate spell. Just toss in whatever you want to splash in, a few Djinns, and there you go.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I picked up the Switch Legacy of the Duelist on a whim, I've never played yugioh so I'm learning as I go and have just been using story decks. How the hell are you supposed to deal with the AI dropping a 2k+ monster on turn 1?

Also the Discord link in the op is dead

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Len posted:

I picked up the Switch Legacy of the Duelist on a whim, I've never played yugioh so I'm learning as I go and have just been using story decks. How the hell are you supposed to deal with the AI dropping a 2k+ monster on turn 1?

You believe in the heart of the cards. Also which duel is it that is dropping the 2k+ monster?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Lord_Magmar posted:

You believe in the heart of the cards. Also which duel is it that is dropping the 2k+ monster?

Bandit Keith kept dropping multiple of his gun dinosaurs and i wasn't able to deal with it. And then yeah heart of the cards got me through

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Len posted:

The AI is a cheap bastard in that game(though as far as I can tell it doesn't actually cheat and it is still pretty dumb), so a lot of the time it comes down to two things; A) figuring out the gimmicks of both your deck and theirs, and B) hope the RNG gives you good cards and your opponent bad ones

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Yeah, it’s pretty painfully obvious when you go up against a Salamangreat deck, the AI locks up for the better part of a minute before going way overboard on link summons, gets out a pair of Heatleo, then sacs them for a wolf and ends turn

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

holy poo poo i don't have to have the monsters on the field to play polymerization?! literal game changer.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Len posted:

holy poo poo i don't have to have the monsters on the field to play polymerization?! literal game changer.

Wait until you see some of the more modern fusion cards

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Len posted:

Bandit Keith kept dropping multiple of his gun dinosaurs and i wasn't able to deal with it. And then yeah heart of the cards got me through

Oh, you convince Pegasus to have Bandit Keith to shoot himself with his own hand in that case, because Bandit Keith is a real scumbag cheater.

I'm pretty sure the actual answer is that you're Joey and so your deck is just unfortunate trash unless you luck into one of his actual combos.

An actual funny thing in the game is the Yugi vs Kaiba duel early on is coded to give you Exodia if you hold out a few turns, but is not coded to do so for the AI Yugi in reverse mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Apparently, the update for Legacy of the Duelist is garbage on Switch as the AI takes forever to make a turn...and it outright just pauses in VRAINS levels.

This doesn't seem to happen on PC/PS4/Xbox? Can anyone confirm because I don't want to re-buy the game and it's got the same issues..