Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

chaosapiant posted:

So I completed Halo CE and am halfway through Halo 2. I like Halo 2 a lot more than the first game, and still loved the first game. I absolutely adore the tone in the series in that it’s just good science fiction funtimes and love the pace and handling of combat. Everything feels smooth and responsive with either a controller or keyboard and mouse.

I also love how 2 has these beautiful sweeping science fiction vistas with cool poo poo going on in the background. Do the games keep up with that cool sense of scale in the background? How’s Halo 3 compare to 2 campaign wise.

Halo 3 maintains this, tho maybe doesn't better it. And ODST has some great moments, but after that its pretty much entirely absent. The 343 sequels have basically nothing memorable in this regard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I think Reach has some really cool setpieces and some nice vistas, it's an interesting change of tone too. I'm kind of dreading playing halo 4 when it comes out now after everything I've heard. I don't want there to be a halo game that sucks.

alf_pogs posted:

I really liked them as obstacles and roadblocks when I was going the par times. they're fun when you can just steam past them

You can do par times on any difficulty right, so you'd always do them on easy? Does it take the total time spent on the level including checkpoint respawns?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

You can do par times on any difficulty right, so you'd always do them on easy? Does it take the total time spent on the level including checkpoint respawns?

Yes and yes. it's pretty fun to put on a podcast and rip a bong and zoom through levels on easy at the speed of sound

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Euphoriaphone posted:

How does the Halo fan base feel about The Flood as enemies? After the Infinite reveal I saw some people on Reddit/Twitter hyping themselves up for a return of The Flood.

I always hated levels where you fight The Flood, and felt every game’s campaign took a nosedive when they were introduced and because the primary enemy for the rest of the game.

I think a lot of the more vocal dislike of the Flood comes from the two most infamous chapters in the franchise, namely The Library and Cortana, both being Flood focused and loving awful. I think what also feeds into it is how back when Halo CE came out, the Covenant stood out as intelligent enemies with detail and nuance (such as Grunts going into a panic when the Elites nearby get killed) with variety that required multiple tactics to deal with them. They had interesting colourful designs and a neat back story and were very memorable.

Then the Flood came along as brown space zombies that bum rush you and require little more tactical thought than "backpedal and keep shooting". So I totally understand why many aren't keen.

However I do think The Flood are great when they're not the only enemies in the chapter, especially when there are 3 or even 4 way conflicts raging between the UNSC, Covenant, Flood and Sentinels. The set pieces in Halo 2 where you have to navigate a battlefield riddled with Flood controlled human/Covenant vehicles going toe to toe with the Sentinel forces was great for example.

For my part I do like The Flood more than I dislike them. Body horror bio-recombinant monsters are always great (see Necromorphs), and when the Flood to get to show off that they're actually quite smart instead of just being waves of zombies they work so much better.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

It's funny how reach turns all the dialogue from
"We have to get to the Prophet Of Ambiguity to activate the Silent Dignity and stop the Ombudsman!"
To
"Copy that whisky tango delta. Foxtrot on my six we are eyes on LZ"

You can tell theyr copying CoD. Imo the guns feel better but this is where halo takes its first nosedive.

Also. Does anyone have a good rundown of 343s lore to hand? It sounds hilarious

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
3 definitely does to it's credit make the flood at least more enjoyable and offer variety in fighting them, Prometheans on the other hand are a mixed bag for me as though I didn't mind Crawlers at all and think they are a decent addition basically filling in the roles of Drones and Flood being mass weak enemies that can traverse a map's terrain fast Knights can suck my rear end.

Knights basically being giant gently caress you walking tanks that can teleport out of danger with little indication, recover and then come back to waste your ammo until you finish the easter egg hunt of finding the fuckers and killing it before it regenerates was just so unfun to fight against. It didn't help they did a occasional instant teleport behind you kid trick that can oneshot you on most higher difficulties or they always had those flying minions whose only role was to chuck grenades back at you or revive slain prometheans.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

alf_pogs posted:

I am still relatively poo poo at multiplayer but enjoy Halo 3s the most I think. any tips or advice for getting better?

For guns like the BR, aim for the body until their shields are down. Headshots don't do bonus damage until then so unless it's a one hit kill (like a sniper rifle) all you're doing is missing more bullets.

Strelok604 posted:

is multiplayer on steam this unpopulated, or is 343 just bad at matchmaking

What game/modes are you trying to play? I never have a problem getting a Halo 3 match in <30 seconds but I haven't tried to play the other games since it came out. Also the Steam version is crossplay with the MS Store so that wouldn't affect it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I forgot what a useless piece of poo poo the Chopper was lol

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

SirDrone posted:

3 definitely does to it's credit make the flood at least more enjoyable and offer variety in fighting them,
the flood pure forms just mean that you always want to have sticky grenades or a sword during the levels where there are a lot of them(mostly cortana). they're so, so tanky vs anything else.
it's very strange how difficult it is to kill them with a shotgun or even gravity hammer when sword just makes them ragdoll instantly

RBA Starblade posted:

what? choppers whip rear end

they do pretty good damage to everything with their guns, they're fast and can run almost anything over, and they don't require multiple people.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jump left, you have now defeated the chopper

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

RBA Starblade posted:

They’re insanely good, if you’re in multi remember the autocannons . You don’t need to constantly charge, just pick people off with the guns.

In legendary/LASO they’re good for skips involving big jumps or climbs.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

RBA Starblade posted:

Jump left, you have now defeated the chopper
the chopper can shoot you and does good damage. it kills someone in slightly over 1.5 seconds and is much, much better at damaging vehicles than a ghost.
it also shoots a bit faster if you mash the trigger instead of holding it down.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Been playing the series on the MCC on pc recently and it makes zero sense to me why you are still fighting against covenant elites. Like ever since Halo 4 I thought it just never made sense especially after halo 3.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

In 4 is was "the covenant here didn't know the war was over", no clue about 5's reasoning, but Infinite's appears to be "these guys all said 'screw the covenant let's go do our own thing' so now they're the Banished and there are elites here". So, multiple contrived excuses to not have to follow up on the cool, interesting, potentially rocky alliance forged between the humans and elites.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Again, Spartan Ops told a better story than 4 because it tells you that the covenant on Meridian are being led by M'Dama who continued the Covenant after the Civil War. Halo 4 just dumps them in you with no explanation.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Elites are fun to fight so we're still fighting them.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Theyre not that fun in 4 and 5 because 4's need for visuals crippled the covenant AI.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Elites are the funnest enemies, and Brutes are not nearly as fun or cool, and I hate their weapons, except the brute plasma rifle for obvious reasons. But they lean on brutes as plot enemies like Tartarus etc. a lot so we keep on fighting them. It sucks a lot. Elites became too... humanized? reasonable?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

wort wort wort

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Brutes are sponges in 2 but their large numbers in 3 and their propensity for grenade barrages make them a fun middle ground between Jackals and Elites.

Fuel Rod Brutes in Reach are bullshit, though.

I think that, just like maps need to accommodate for armour abilities, they should also account for enemy composition. The Brutes are not as much fun as the Elites but they do suit the levels in 3 quite well, whereas I would dread fighting Elites on Halo 3 levels given how nasty they are in open spaces on Reach levels.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jul 27, 2020

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

On LASO the Halo 2 elites with regular ol plasma rifles are by far the deadliest enemies in the series, you've either got to double plasma pistol overcharge them or lure them into drawing their sword (they're all ultras on LASO) which makes them a lot less deadly. Cairo Station is essentially unbeatable if you don't force Johnson into the fight ahead of you by sticky grenading him/hitting him with a sword.

Halo 3 brutes are fun to fight but not very hard except in huge numbers. Reach elites are nearly unkillable but you have more bullshit to throw at them, like invincible teammates or armor abilities, and it's much easier to just bypass them.

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 27, 2020

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Been playing the series on the MCC on pc recently and it makes zero sense to me why you are still fighting against covenant elites. Like ever since Halo 4 I thought it just never made sense especially after halo 3.

it does make sense to me that since the covenant was a massive galactic empire that it'd end up splintering into various break away fiefdoms and factions, along with all sorts of renegade and pirate groups

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

The covenant was defeated by cutting off its head with Truth's death, combined with the civil war and loss of High Charity. There's still the huge average populace of it that probably still believe in it

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I'd give the LASO campaigns a go if it weren't for the iron skull, having to restart the level just kills any desire I have to slog through that. You could never make custom campaign playlists on the xbox version right? Wonder if they'll add that in for pc. Seems like a no brainer but it is 343.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I'd give the LASO campaigns a go if it weren't for the iron skull, having to restart the level just kills any desire I have to slog through that. You could never make custom campaign playlists on the xbox version right? Wonder if they'll add that in for pc. Seems like a no brainer but it is 343.

If you quickly save and quit when you die, then resume the game from the playlist screen, you won't lose any progress (from your last checkpoint).

I don't think anybody does them actually obeying iron.

Or, do them coop.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Is there any way to tone down the weapon effects in Halo 2? I cannot see when I am shooting.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Mazerunner posted:

it does make sense to me that since the covenant was a massive galactic empire that it'd end up splintering into various break away fiefdoms and factions, along with all sorts of renegade and pirate groups

combine this with the deep religious zealotry and i completely buy that there are new factions vying for leadership

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I think bungie really nailed it with the core combo of elites, jackals and grunts, and neither they nor 343 have really come up with anything that's as fun to fight against. In that sense, I really don't mind if they need thinner and thinner justifications for why you're still fighting them, because whatever else they would come up with is gonna be worse. Just add more huge 3 way vehicle setpiece battles and some fancy skyboxes and you've got a nice halo stew that can have a dumb plot if it wants to. Remains to be seen if they're gonna gently caress it up with infinite, but I guess the track record isn't great.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
I wonder if 343 will ever devote the time for there to be an option to play Halo 2 Legendary co-op without it resetting the checkpoint every-time a team-member dies.

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

I must be really messed in the head, but Reach is not only my favorite halo game but I like the multiplayer too. Guess it helps that I wasn't around when it originally launched on the xbox to deal with peak armor lock

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think bungie really nailed it with the core combo of elites, jackals and grunts, and neither they nor 343 have really come up with anything that's as fun to fight against. In that sense, I really don't mind if they need thinner and thinner justifications for why you're still fighting them, because whatever else they would come up with is gonna be worse. Just add more huge 3 way vehicle setpiece battles and some fancy skyboxes and you've got a nice halo stew that can have a dumb plot if it wants to. Remains to be seen if they're gonna gently caress it up with infinite, but I guess the track record isn't great.

I have never enjoyed a single fight with the stupid loving laser robot dog things and so I am sure they will be the primary enemy in infinite, set in a vehicle-less jungle.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Strelok604 posted:

I must be really messed in the head, but Reach is not only my favorite halo game but I like the multiplayer too. Guess it helps that I wasn't around when it originally launched on the xbox to deal with peak armor lock

Nah I agree it's with the first as my favorites in the series. the art style is stronger and the music is unreal.

also the space mission was fun and I wish there was halo starfox.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Halo 4 ended with basically a Starfox stage.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Carnaticum posted:

Halo 4 ended with basically a Starfox stage.

that's right so it does. I always forget the last few levels of H4

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Boy, Danger Canyon is an unending nightmare hell if your pubbies don't realize there's a ramp going straight into your base and two guys with fuel rods and sniper rifles are spawn camping you for fifteen minutes straight

Then in Reach Invasion I armor locked three separate laser shots only to get headshot by an elite midroll. He was streaming :negative:

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

-FUCK...YOU KNOW, THE THING

I'm playing "Reclaimer" in H4 now and just laughing at how humanity's greatest warship can't fire its armaments at a massive stationary object without having a shootyman point a bar code scanner at it.

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

Continuing the Bungie lineage of excellent ship names with the, uh, UNSC "Infinity"

Strelok604 fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jul 29, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean unsc Frigate Grafton is so memorable.

UNSC Say My Name legit owns.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

I mean unsc Frigate Grafton is so memorable.

UNSC Say My Name legit owns.

is there a UNSC You're drat Right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

UNSC If You Can Read This You're Too Close