Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Super Calo isn't at the very top of my list of "wrestlers I'm shocked are still alive" but he's very close

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DJExile posted:

Super Calo isn't at the very top of my list of "wrestlers I'm shocked are still alive" but he's very close

he's probably still working

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Randaconda posted:

he's probably still working

last I can see, Cagematch last lists him in a tag match in Lucha Libre Tijuanese in June 2018, huh how about that

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Given the AEW news tonight I was reminded of Starrcade 91 and lethal lottery and I can't remember, were the teams gimmicked ahead of time? I imagine it'd be pretty easy to just whip a card out and announce whatever name you wanted and while that makes the most sense, there's a part of me that believes WCW is insane enough to just pair people at random and make matches on the fly.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

it was in fact worked out ahead of time.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

They were pretty obviously gimmicked. Like the whole point was to have partners on opposite teams and enemies forced to team together. WCW wasn't remotely subtle about it.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

I figured as much. I just wanted to believe WCW was dumb enough to try and book a live ppv on the fly

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Akileese posted:

I figured as much. I just wanted to believe WCW was dumb enough to try and book a live ppv on the fly

Bischoff was dumb enough though to book a live Nitro on the fly depending on how bad his ratings brainworms were that week

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I distinctly remember one of WCW's "random" lottery gimmicks having a bit that went like this:

Person drawing names: "Ah now, let's see who's next..."
(camera cuts to PN News for some reason)
Person drawing names: "It's PN News!!"

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

overmind2000 posted:

Bischoff was dumb enough though to book a live Nitro on the fly depending on how bad his ratings brainworms were that week
I doubt this to this day. Sure, it happened, probably, but more often, I bet Bischoff was lazy enough, once the people who booked the show for him quit, he just showed up and said poo poo and then later acted like it was a plan.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Is PN News supposed to kinda sound like penis?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Akileese posted:

I do recall Death of WCW saying that one Lethal Lottery was so weirdly booked you might well think it was random.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

oldpainless posted:

No, it’s meant to sound like “Pianos”

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

oldpainless posted:

it's supposed to be like PM Dawn

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
set adrift on memory bliss of Neu

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://streamable.com/zvi14

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Smoking Crow posted:

it's supposed to be like PM Dawn
Thank you for finally explaining this.

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

TIL the Hardy Boyz theme is apparently pubic domain/stock music.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
So are Booker T's WWE theme and a few others. Occasionally one of them will pop up in a reality show or documentary and it's really distracting.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Bookers is used in a kids in the hall sketch and it always pops me

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Suplex Liberace posted:

Bookers is used in a kids in the hall sketch and it always pops me

Never before more than I had to be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-CtKIo7olM

I was always confused by the spinning sparkletime swastika

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Seeing Booker's theme show up like it was a public access song always confused me because it is also a Kraftwerk sample and I cannot imagine that's legal

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I remember Eddy Guerrero's first WCW theme popping up in a Kids in the Hall sketch as well.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

you can freely sample what was sampled of kraftwerk. it's just the whispering part. there is similar instrument sound usage but no other sampling and it's not really a similar tune or anything. i remember a lot of 80s and 90s electronic music would just lift audio from films all the time for some reason

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
The dvd of 90s sketch masterpiece The State has the hardy boys and hardcore Holly’s themes.

They had to dub over all the original songs for the dvd release.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Cavauro posted:

you can freely sample what was sampled of kraftwerk. it's just the whispering part. there is similar instrument sound usage but no other sampling and it's not really a similar tune or anything. i remember a lot of 80s and 90s electronic music would just lift audio from films all the time for some reason

this conversation led me down a weird rabbit hole

I felt like that couldn't be true because I knew the song was like multiple Kraftwerk samples repeated over each other, and researching it turned up not only that it also samples its motorboat tongue-waggling sound from a song named "Sweet Pussy Pauline" that's basically a dance-house monologue about oral sex, the song as a whole is from a weird French production music album called Rap Noise that's all themed around hip hop-reminiscent ambient music and features titles like "Blue Carpet" and "Corned Beef"

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

sorry for lying.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Watching through the 1997 WCW Nitros. I expect Bischoff to get on his knees and start blowing Hogan soon. Strong erotic vibe going on there.

Also: skip the first hour because Larry Zybisco is boring, to get right to The Brain.

excellent bird guy fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 2, 2020

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

excellent bird guy posted:

Watching through the 1997 WCW Nitros. I expect Bischoff to get on his knees and start blowing Hogan soon. Strong erotic vibe going on there.
lmao

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
WWE choosing to use Luger's WCW theme for their 900-line promos after he jumped was always weird to me as a kid

Maybe that was Vince's petty idea of revenge?

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
The dream is over.

Scott Steiner's Shoneys has closed due to Covid.

https://facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3814169788611715&id=1237495322945854&sfnsn=mo

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Off topic because WWE, I remember hearing the Hardy Boys theme song used for a bunch of other commercials, and some classic rock stations

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

Once you add it's 75% chance of failing if it was to go 1 on 1 and add 66 2/3%s, it had a 141 2/3 chance of failing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

he always seemed genuinely happy to be running a shoneys. rip.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The song "Taps" but all the notes are "HUH"

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
When I was a kid, I let my friend put me in a Figure Four. It hurts, rubs your shin bones together really hard.
I was in a fantasy wrestling league in 1997. I was Lenny Lane. All the good wrestlers were taken.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

CarlCX posted:

this conversation led me down a weird rabbit hole

I felt like that couldn't be true because I knew the song was like multiple Kraftwerk samples repeated over each other, and researching it turned up not only that it also samples its motorboat tongue-waggling sound from a song named "Sweet Pussy Pauline" that's basically a dance-house monologue about oral sex, the song as a whole is from a weird French production music album called Rap Noise that's all themed around hip hop-reminiscent ambient music and features titles like "Blue Carpet" and "Corned Beef"
It's actually shockingly sample-heavy: https://www.whosampled.com/Rene-De-Wael/Rap-Sheet-(Booker-T-Theme)/

Not only does it have the breathing sounds from Kraftwerk's "Sex Object" and the tongue-waggling from Hateful Head Helen's "Sweet Pussy Pauline," but it also lifts a weird electronic bell-ish sound from Kraftwerk's Musique Non Stop and drum loops from the DNA remix of Suzanne Vega's "Tom's Diner." Pretty much everything notable in the recording other than the hook is a sample of a commercially-released song.

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

davidbix posted:

It's actually shockingly sample-heavy: https://www.whosampled.com/Rene-De-Wael/Rap-Sheet-(Booker-T-Theme)/

Not only does it have the breathing sounds from Kraftwerk's "Sex Object" and the tongue-waggling from Hateful Head Helen's "Sweet Pussy Pauline," but it also lifts a weird electronic bell-ish sound from Kraftwerk's Musique Non Stop and drum loops from the DNA remix of Suzanne Vega's "Tom's Diner." Pretty much everything notable in the recording other than the hook is a sample of a commercially-released song.

I'm really curious how the rest of that library album sounds tbh.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I assume it was Jimmy Hart doing the laughing over Booker T's theme?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

DeathChicken posted:

I assume it was Jimmy Hart doing the laughing over Booker T's theme?
i always thought that was a record scratch