Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
As y'all can see I can go many weeks/months without a visit. I tend to avoid the thread unless I'm ready to make/update issues as I go through posts. Given that, it's totally ok to PM me or poke me somewhere when big poo poo breaks, like "all the forums are gone", because I'm totally happy to help fix it. And someone did PM me (thank you!), so I guess the system works? :)

Also, finally making a "copy post as markdown" Safari extension is the best thing I've ever done, makes things go much quicker.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Cool I fixed it on my end - the testing will fall to those with iphones.

A belated thank you!

Midjack posted:

Bug report: in smilie history, the first time I tap the smilie to insert into a post it’s the right one. Subsequent taps insert previous ones in the history, backing up one step every tap.

Really gotta do something with the smilies. Meantime I'll add this to the list!

Subjunctive posted:

A twofer:

When previewing an edit in YOSPOS, but not when previewing a reply in YOSPOS or an edit in the grey forums, I see a cute little keyboard icon next to my username that doesn’t appear in posts.

If you submit an empty post to preview, you get an error message that looks like it’s from PM handling, and after dismissing it the spinner just spins. Cancelling works, happily.

Thanks for these!

sourdough posted:

Apologies if it’s been mentioned (it probably has), I didn’t read back in the thread. But with dark mode on both iOS and the app, I get a split second flash of white when opening the app if it’s starting fresh (ie, I swiped it away in the app switcher or it got flushed naturally). Is there any way to prevent that?

There is, good call! Added to the list.

Midjack posted:

When reporting a post the text in the report reason for doesn’t line wrap, it just extends one long line.

Might finally be time to finish baking the feature I crowbarred into the app in 5 minutes a few years ago to please App Review! :)

Woofer posted:

I have found that the Parent Forum/Previous Posts/Scroll To End banner is inconsistent when trying to get it to appear and I just want to make sure I’m using the app correctly. What are the conditions for it to appear/disappear other than scrolling?

I was wondering if in the future an option to make that banner always show could be added.

E: iOS 13.4 for my phone if it makes a difference, but this has been a thing for a while

I keep messing with it, but the most recent behaviour doesn't work great in a couple scenarios. It's weird when you're already at the top of the page. And there's another one I can't remember.

In general, it should appear when you scroll up (i.e. pull content down) and release; the momentum will pull the bar down with the content.

If you notice it doesn't work as you expect in certain situations, lemme know. (General "it's weird" is completely fair feedback too, of course.)

Rinkles posted:

Do post previews not load for others sometimes? This is an issue I've had for ages but assumed it might have been the fault of having an old phone, but I'm still getting it with the new SE. Changing pages in the thread sometimes fixes this.

I get this too on a not-old non-phone, so I don't think it's just you. I haven't pinned down what's going on. At one point I thought it was some networking issue, but I find mashing Post usually works just fine, so it's just the preview I think.

quote:

Do quotes only show up that way on the big cool phones? This is what I see

Or is it a theme?

Warbird posted:

It would be nice to have a disable signatures option for the app.

I'll +1 it on the list!

nine-gear crow posted:

Don't know if this has been highlighted yet, but if not, I've noticed an issue with YouTube embeds lately on the iOS app in the last couple of versions. The embedding is super aggressive all of the sudden to the point where it's turning properly [url] tagged YouTube links into full on videos in line. It's a bit of an issue from a readability standpoint because people will often use the [ url=youtube video]text text text[/url ] tags as part of their posts, so the text that would be there otherwise is now replaced with an outright video embed. I don't know if there's anything that can be done about that or if you're looking into it already, but I figure it's worth at least highlighting.

We did recently (as of your post, not this late reply) make the embedding more aggressive, but that's a fair point that people sometimes intentionally link instead of embed. I could see adding a couple more options than just on/off.

101 posted:

The new Twitch embeds just show up as blank space for me in Awful

I'll have to take a look. Guessing it won't take much? I hope? Embeds are always easy and work perfectly consistently!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3879285&perpage=40&pagenumber=364

Tweet embedding is fucky at the moment, especially when it comes to stuff surrounded by :nws:

This was forever ago and that's my fault. Looking through that page of that thread, it looks like there's a tweet that got embedded despite being near :nws:, so I'll +1 that on the list. I didn't notice any other weirdness there, so lemme know if I missed something!

drowningidiot posted:

Is it possible to get the URL from an embedded imgur video? I swear I used to be able to but can’t quite remember how. None of buttons on the player will do it and I’ve tried hard press and hold and that doesn’t bring up anything either.

It might not be possible at the moment (other than by quoting the post). I'll take a look!

The forums were updated so that following a leper’s colony link doesn’t effect your bookmarks, any idea if this is coming to the app? Tested it today and it’s still working the old way.

Would be a good addition! On the list it goes.

Phone posted:

The app is no longer displaying quotes appropriately? Like the actual “ “ marks. Any idea of what’s goi g on?

Grundulum posted:

Pretty sure I saw someone mention it on one of the previous pages, but Awful App seems to eat punctuation randomly. Quotation marks and em dashes will appear in my post’s text, and in the preview screen, but then disappear at time of posting. When other users quote my post, the punctuation is missing from the quote, so I guess it somehow never made it to the forums? Edit: but other times it appears to work normally. I am very confused.

It's not y'all's fault, but I'm not sure what Awful's doing wrong. Though I did have a lil brainwave when thinking about it again just now… anyway, I'll +2 it on the list.

Warbird posted:

Minor bug:
The emoji selector dohickey shows the honk emoji as the superior “Skeeter from Doug” original version rather than the current inferior “goose game goose” version.

:honk:

Added to the list!

shortspecialbus posted:

I know this is a stupid request and I don't know if it's even possible and it seems dumb for probably "just me" but is there any way a setting could be added to Awful to disable the "tap the top of the screen to jump to the top of the thread"? I can't think of a situation I've ever wanted to do that anyways in Awful. Pretty please, if it's even possible?

It's definitely possible to implement, and I'd use the setting too for my similarly-malfunctioning device. Ideally I'd like to make it so tapping the status bar again jumps you back to where you were. But I'll +1 it on the list!

shortspecialbus posted:

I've used other stuff that shares to Imgur and I've always just logged into imgur with my own credentials. Can that not be done here?

It can, I just hate the available Imgur API libraries and haven't gotten around to augmenting the code Awful uses.

Rinkles posted:

If SA's not quite dead, I'd like to suggest a minor feature for Awful. Would it be a lot of work, and something others don't mind, to make pressing the bookmarks button when already viewing bookmarks scroll the page to the top? Just a way to make refreshing the tab more convenient.

Sounds easy enough! On the list we go.

carry on then posted:

It’s toggleable in setttings if you don’t use the feature and the prompts are annoying. We might have to start defaulting to Off because complaints will be coming once iOS 14 releases.

Diabolik900 posted:

I think 14 also added an API that will actually let you check if the clipboard contents match some pattern before reading it, so theoretically Awful could ask iOS if it’s an SA url and then only actually read it if that check comes back true.

There is some API to ask whether there's something URL-like on the pasteboard, but as of beta 3 it doesn't seem to allow for more specific pattern matching (e.g. by hostname), so I think default off is the way to go.

dexter6 posted:

I submitted a couple bug reports of the app crashing when I tap to play an embedded video.

It is happening on iOS 14 Public Beta with the Current and Beta Awful app.

Thanks!

carry on then posted:

I'm seeing some promising results with just getting an NSAttributedString from the HTML, but gifs don't play. Could be a decent first pass for now if we want to completely redo it later.

This is awesome, thanks for doing this! I forgot to put it in the release notes, sorry about that.

I think the ideal future setup is dumping each item's HTML into one big web view, just like how we do posts, but that's way more work :)

Charles posted:

I still don't know iOS as well as Android -- when you uninstall does it clear and cache and cookies and stuff? Does it back up those to the cloud and copy them back over when you reinstall?

I know this particular crisis is averted, but for the record: everything's gone when you uninstall. In fact, everything's deleted when you log out, even if you don't uninstall.

Charles posted:

/

Tl:Dr (not sure if they used the app or browser) two hyphens got converted into a unicode Em dash in the youtube URL. Is that something the app can check for? Might be an edge case of course. How were the curly quotes solved for quotes a few years ago?

Thanks for passing this along! Never would've thought to test this case :) I'll add it to the list. I'm a bit suspicious that the old curly quotes "fix" might be causing problems elsewhere, but using the same mechanism to paste YouTube bits probably won't cause any extra problems!

Regy Rusty posted:

Lmao incredible

I think my exact words were "aw gently caress's sake".

carry on then posted:

Nobody else comes close to your ability to fix this app up. Thanks!

Always helps to be the one who broke it in the first place!

Lisztless posted:

I went back a few pages and didn’t see this posted. I keep getting phantom notifications for a PM that doesn’t exist. Here’s the preview and body:
When I delete it, it does delete it and removes the red notification, and says:

It’s mostly annoying as, once I delete it, it will then reoccur within hours or minutes, and I can’t figure out what might be triggering it.

Not sure what's up here, but I'll put it on the list!

Charles posted:

Is the count from the JSON the same as the forum index? Often it says (0 Unread Messages, 1 New Messages) forever on me. Maybe it's grabbing the number on the left instead of the right?

Edit: I mean the other way around.

It's a good guess, but the count shown in Awful comes from the number of known unread private messages (e.g. from scraping `private.php`). Lots of ways for that to go wrong though, and the forum index count clearly isn't any better a source :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Thank you.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Does this sound right? Any scenarios I missed?

Set noseen=0 (updates "last read" marker):
* Handoff to device without Awful.app (opens in Safari).
* Tap “Go to Awful’s Thread” in Settings (goes to next unread post).
* Load another page while reading a thread.

Set noseen=1 (leave "last read" marker alone):
* Tap a link in a post that goes to another post or another thread.
* Tap an entry in Leper’s Colony or rap sheet.
* Share the URL for a post.

Observe noseen query parameter:
* For Forums URLs found on the clipboard.
* For awful: URLs.

I don't know of anywhere that treats noseen=0 different from the absence of a noseen parameter, so we could decide to leave it out when we want the default value? Figured I'd put it in everywhere at least to start.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That sounds great! That's way more than what I was expecting, haha.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Holy poo poo, great job on the LC images! Thank you!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

If anyone has a device running iOS 12 and wants to help me test something, please grab the latest TestFlight beta (details are in the release notes). If this is you but you're not on the beta, please see the link in the OP. Thanks!

Charles posted:

That sounds great! That's way more than what I was expecting, haha.

Awesome. It was, oddly enough, easier to be thorough than it would've been to special-case the leper's colony.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

pokeyman posted:

If anyone has a device running iOS 12 and wants to help me test something, please grab the latest TestFlight beta (details are in the release notes). If this is you but you're not on the beta, please see the link in the OP. Thanks!

Awesome. It was, oddly enough, easier to be thorough than it would've been to special-case the leper's colony.

I’m running iOS 12.4.7

I downloaded TestFlight and see Awful there. Will installing the beta replace Awful 4.4 and if so is it a big deal to go back to the release version?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Keith Atherton posted:

I’m running iOS 12.4.7

I downloaded TestFlight and see Awful there. Will installing the beta replace Awful 4.4 and if so is it a big deal to go back to the release version?

The beta replaces the App Store version you currently have installed, yeah. Session and such will still be there, don't even need to log in again. It's very easy to downgrade if needed, just go to the App Store and "update" Awful to get 4.4 back.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

pokeyman posted:

The beta replaces the App Store version you currently have installed, yeah. Session and such will still be there, don't even need to log in again. It's very easy to downgrade if needed, just go to the App Store and "update" Awful to get 4.4 back.

Ok I installed the beta

Platinum icon and the ... at the bottom right of posts are there. However now embedded Tweets are text only:

Don’t know if it’s on Twitter’s end but I was seeing them properly right before I installed the beta 20 minutes ago. Images and YouTube embeds work as usual

Cat Hassler fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 25, 2020

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Oh I'm seeing that too for tweets, lemme check that. Glad everything else works, thank you for testing!

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

pokeyman posted:

Oh I'm seeing that too for tweets, lemme check that. Glad everything else works, thank you for testing!

Least I can do! Thanks for all your work

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

rip bundled widgets.js

Best part is I dunno whether this will generally improve or worsen tweet embeds.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3809308

This thread seems to be able to cause the app to crash. If I've read it already and then click it again it shows up blank. If I click "Previous posts" it crashes. There's something weird going on with it -- the "killed by" is showing different people when I click refresh, so I'm going to ask in the tech thread too.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Charles posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3809308

This thread seems to be able to cause the app to crash. If I've read it already and then click it again it shows up blank. If I click "Previous posts" it crashes. There's something weird going on with it -- the "killed by" is showing different people when I click refresh, so I'm going to ask in the tech thread too.

Same... but it works if I follow your link. If I navigate from QCS, no dice.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3809308&perpage=40 is the URL for the dead version on my phone. Maybe the perpage is badly interacting with the deleted posts?

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 25, 2020

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Same... but it works if I follow your link. If I navigate from QCS, no dice.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3809308&perpage=40 is the URL for the dead version on my phone. Maybe the perpage is badly interacting with the deleted posts?

edit: I didn't read carefully

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I went to see if I could replicate the broken version by going to it from my bookmarks, but it straight up doesn’t appear in my bookmarks. So
-links work and it displays normally that way
-clicking it from QCS crashes the app if you hit “previous posters” on the blanked page
-it doesn’t show up in bookmarks.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

I went to see if I could replicate the broken version by going to it from my bookmarks, but it straight up doesn’t appear in my bookmarks. So
-links work and it displays normally that way
-clicking it from QCS crashes the app if you hit “previous posters” on the blanked page
-it doesn’t show up in bookmarks.

It shows up in my bookmarks around July 4

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

It was the URL fragment (the #pti3 bit). It's supposed to tell the browser to scroll to the first unread post, so Awful used it to determine how many posts to hide. But the fragment seems to take deleted replies into account, so Awful would hide the first two posts (aka the entire thread) and then crash when it tried to show the second post (because there's only one in the thread).

Anyway, will be fixed in a future version (probably not 4.5 as that's Waiting for Review)!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It's obviously an edge case as they don't usually delete replies but yeah.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

pokeyman posted:

It was the URL fragment (the #pti3 bit). It's supposed to tell the browser to scroll to the first unread post, so Awful used it to determine how many posts to hide. But the fragment seems to take deleted replies into account, so Awful would hide the first two posts (aka the entire thread) and then crash when it tried to show the second post (because there's only one in the thread).

Anyway, will be fixed in a future version (probably not 4.5 as that's Waiting for Review)!

I was hoping it was a deliberate feature to prevent a user from ever having to go to QCS but I guess that works too.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

pokeyman posted:

rip bundled widgets.js

Best part is I dunno whether this will generally improve or worsen tweet embeds.

Is this why tweet embeds look totally different?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Brain Curry posted:

Is this why tweet embeds look totally different?

Yep, we hadn't updated the embed code in awhile. Now we're always on the latest version, for better or worse.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
A weird just started happened after downloading the latest version of the app (Awful 4.6 according to the settings page): When I click on a thread that has new posts, it’s opening at the top of the page where I left off, rather than right at the new posts.

For what it’s worth, it’s occurring both from the forum view and bookmarks page. I’ve gone through about 15-20 threads and it’s happened for all of them. Current iOS 13.6, iPhone 8.

EDIT: And after making this post, it also went back to the top of the page.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I get that every so often.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I did change some logic around there so I'm sure I broke something, but I'm not sure what. Do either of you have "Mark posts on pages I've already seen in a different color" set to "no" in User Control Panel -> Edit Options?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

pokeyman posted:

I did change some logic around there so I'm sure I broke something, but I'm not sure what. Do either of you have "Mark posts on pages I've already seen in a different color" set to "no" in User Control Panel -> Edit Options?

I'm having this problem and I have it set to "no."

e: I changed it to "yes" and it seems to work correctly now.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
+1ing all of this. Started to work again when I set it to Yes.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Uselessly posting "same" to the above. Didn't even know that option existed

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Data Graham posted:

Uselessly posting "same" to the above. Didn't even know that option existed

Also same. Switched it to Yes and restarted the app and it seems to be working correctly again.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mine is already set to yes, maybe this is why I only get it rarely (to the point I’ve just gone ‘hm, odd’ rather than felt the need to bring it up).

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

EL BROMANCE posted:

Mine is already set to yes, maybe this is why I only get it rarely (to the point I’ve just gone ‘hm, odd’ rather than felt the need to bring it up).

I don’t think I’d ever seen it occur before, which is why it suddenly happening with every thread was a big surprise.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

+1 for that fixing the problem here. Did the SA default change recently? I didn’t toggle that setting and I’m pretty sure it was highlighting unread posts on desktop before I noticed the problem on Awful.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

What would be the feasibility of implementing webm support to the app? I occasionally see them posted and iirc VLC is one of the few apps on my phone that can process them. I’ve always found that a bit surprising as I’ve understood the format to be fairly popular. Is there something I might be missing as to why it doesn’t appear to have wider support?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Warbird posted:

What would be the feasibility of implementing webm support to the app? I occasionally see them posted and iirc VLC is one of the few apps on my phone that can process them. I’ve always found that a bit surprising as I’ve understood the format to be fairly popular. Is there something I might be missing as to why it doesn’t appear to have wider support?

It uses a codec that Apple has historically been hostile to (VP8/VP9), so there hasn't been support in the Apple ecosystem. iOS 14 will support VP9 in some capacity, which is used for 4K YouTube at least. Safari in the latest beta supports the WebP image format, which is related, but I haven't seen any news about WebM proper, or even VP8 support.

Adding native support to the app would be quite difficult; Mozilla has balked at it for their iOS browser, and they care a lot about WebM, plus they have a lot of deep video stack expertise. Coming up with a smooth helper-app experience would be a bit easier, but still a lot of work. :negative:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

goatsestretchgoals posted:

+1 for that fixing the problem here. Did the SA default change recently? I didn’t toggle that setting and I’m pretty sure it was highlighting unread posts on desktop before I noticed the problem on Awful.

I thought Jeffrey actually turned that on for everybody lately. Maybe it was another setting, or it didn't work right for everyone.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Since the last update, opening a thread from my bookmarks takes me to the top of the page instead of the first unread reply.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

It uses a codec that Apple has historically been hostile to (VP8/VP9), so there hasn't been support in the Apple ecosystem. iOS 14 will support VP9 in some capacity, which is used for 4K YouTube at least. Safari in the latest beta supports the WebP image format, which is related, but I haven't seen any news about WebM proper, or even VP8 support.

Adding native support to the app would be quite difficult; Mozilla has balked at it for their iOS browser, and they care a lot about WebM, plus they have a lot of deep video stack expertise. Coming up with a smooth helper-app experience would be a bit easier, but still a lot of work. :negative:

Ah, well there you go. Thank you for the explanation.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Subjunctive posted:

Safari in the latest beta supports the WebP image format

Christ I'm glad to hear that. People have been imgur'ing WebPs all over the place and have no idea they're broken for people not using Chrome (not that they should have to care).

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Lazyhound posted:

Since the last update, opening a thread from my bookmarks takes me to the top of the page instead of the first unread reply.

Weird you didn't read this page then

Edit because I should try to be helpful

pokeyman posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
Is there a way to make it so tapping on videos attached to tweets play inline instead of opening twitters terrible goddamn website?

Is there a way to get a tweet’s url without all the SA referrer bullshit appended?

Sorry if these have come up before