Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

A bit of education for cyclists along the lines of the driver theory test would be valuable(for example, I had no idea that it is in fact illegal to cycle while drunk, whereas I thought that a bike is a brilliant way to get to and from the pub and have wobbled across Stourbridge Common in the dark on many an occasion) but making it mandatory would just make a lot of casual cyclists stop entirely.

[edit] Ah, a snipe. Here is a cat.

floofyscorp fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jul 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/leftiestats/status/1288104238036348934?s=21

:stare:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

I mean it's hard to make a case for Labour/Dodds when they've basically agreed with everything Sunak has said and done

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Actually there's probably a capitalism analogy there. Depending on the circumstances of your birth either it's uphill both ways or just gliding 5 minutes down a very steep road.
Going to patent my new 'static guillotine' which is a sharpened guy rope between two lampposts.

OwlFancier posted:

Pedestrians get pikes, cyclists tape ERA blocks to themselves, motorists are open season for snipers.
If pedestrians get pikes (good against cavalry) then surely cyclists should get sabres (good against infantry)?

Or are we doing a paper/rock/scissors thing where cars are artillery so cyclists get lances to bear against cars, and cars get grapeshot?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
sunak is giving out dining vouchers and no ones had to pay for it yet tbf

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Going to patent my new 'static guillotine' which is a sharpened guy rope between two lampposts.

did you watch cormac mccarthy's the counsellor? and read the viz 'parkie' cartoon before that?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

If pedestrians get pikes (good against cavalry) then surely cyclists should get sabres (good against infantry)?

Or are we doing a paper/rock/scissors thing where cars are artillery so cyclists get lances to bear against cars, and cars get grapeshot?

I was trying to go for "ways to kill everyone who is a threat to you"

So cars are already hilariously lethal to everyone including other car users so we just introduced randomized motor vehicle disincentivization, cyclists are lethal to anyone who hits them or if they hit each other at speed, and pedestrians are lethal to everyone more than 16 feet away from them and become more lethal the more of them you get close to each other.

Unfortunately I haven't figured out how to make this work with social distancing :v:

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jul 28, 2020

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

floofyscorp posted:

A bit of education for cyclists along the lines of the driver theory test would be valuable

I grew up in Cambridge and we all did the Cycling Proficiency Test in my school. (I passed, but was rebuked for trying to go fast.)

I think the test still exists but has been given a stupid rename as Bikeability, so no one knows what it is.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Sunak puts the guardian crew in a tricky spot cause he's essentially a similar figure to Starmer, except frankly he looks more competent and photogenic.
I think they'd be perfectly happy with Sunak leading labour lol

e: and actually thinking about it, at least Sunak gets to keep his dignity while doing evil. Starmers job was legit to put his reputation on the line to defend government lies for years, and being forced to apologise every time.
His total lack of self-respect or personal morality is what made the spooks put him where he is

Bumfluff
Jun 19, 2008

Bumfluff!
It's me, Mabel!
I'm looking at you through the av!
Right here!
This is my voice!
I'm talking to you from inside!

I've been lurking here for awhile, lot of knowledgeable folks in the thread, wondering if anyone can advise me about something that happened yesterday.

My partner was parked up in a clearly marked space on the side of a road, parallel with the direction of traffic if that makes sense, while I was down the road at a garage collecting my car after an MOT+service. Rather than drop me off then go home she waited to make sure everything was alright.

While she was parked, a car drove passed close enough that they hit the wing mirror. They didn't stop, we don't know if they noticed or not. My partner was a bit shook up, more so as our one month old was sitting behind her, so wasn't able to get the reg or anything.

We don't really want to lose our no claims on something that wasn't our fault. Local Renault dealership has inspected damage and it's going to cost £400+ for just the parts, which we don't really have right now.

I've contacted local businesses inquiring about CCTV that would look at the spot where it happened, but no luck. Don't know where to go from here.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Guavanaut posted:

Cycling on clearly marked cycle paths is fine. Cycling on the pavement is bad. Clearly marked cycle paths that are not wide enough and are on the pavement level are also bad, but it's not cyclists who are doing that.

Technically it's illegal to cycle on the pavement in the UK and you can be in for up to a £500 fine. However I have literally never seen it enforced.

Personally I get massive frustrated by pedestrians blithely wandering down the cycle lanes, no end of times I almost took out someone who swerved into the lane while I was cycling around Manchester. But then you also get poo poo like this ...

Mixed use pavement next to a massively busy road, the only markings in about half a mile are two little signs with a bike on them. Where does the lane end and the pavement begin, meaning that you're technically breaking the law? Nobody has a goddamn clue.

So yeah regulation isn't the answer, it's building actual proper cycle paths. And as mentioned, dilute the lycra clad arseholes who give the whole thing a bad name. I'd suggest starting by getting rid of Strava so you don't have people trying to beat each others times down pedestrianised streets.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Breath Ray posted:

sunak is giving out dining vouchers and no ones had to pay for it yet tbf

Have they actually seen an increase in footfall on the days the voucher applies for? I sure as poo poo haven't felt inclined to go for a Nandos at the beginning of the week just because it's a bit cheaper, especially since I'm working from home so it'd require a special trip out.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

They don't start until Monday.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, nobody's going to have any enthusiasm for Dodds when she's said nothing, done nothing and gives every appearance of holding no firm beliefs in particular. The Labour front bench in general seems to have agreed to vanish from the news as much as humanly possible and I don't know what strategy this could be in aid of, beyond: "Wait for the Tories to become completely discredited, then sneak into power as the default alternative", which I'm very dubious about the effectiveness of.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Bumfluff posted:

I've been lurking here for awhile, lot of knowledgeable folks in the thread, wondering if anyone can advise me about something that happened yesterday.

My partner was parked up in a clearly marked space on the side of a road, parallel with the direction of traffic if that makes sense, while I was down the road at a garage collecting my car after an MOT+service. Rather than drop me off then go home she waited to make sure everything was alright.

While she was parked, a car drove passed close enough that they hit the wing mirror. They didn't stop, we don't know if they noticed or not. My partner was a bit shook up, more so as our one month old was sitting behind her, so wasn't able to get the reg or anything.

We don't really want to lose our no claims on something that wasn't our fault. Local Renault dealership has inspected damage and it's going to cost £400+ for just the parts, which we don't really have right now.

I've contacted local businesses inquiring about CCTV that would look at the spot where it happened, but no luck. Don't know where to go from here.

Unless you get really lucky with CCTV you've no chance - even if there's coverage, it's very unlikely to be good enough to show the impact and the car number plate.

Also even if you're fully comp you're still going to have to pay the excess plus lose NCB/pay extra on renewal. If I were you I'd talk to my local under-the-arches mechanic and ask how much for a second-hand replacement, cash-in-hand - I guarantee you it'll be under a hundred quid including fitting unless there's damage to the actual mount or the mirrors have got multiple bells and whistles built in (which seems doubtful for a Renault). If the housing is still okay but just the glass is smashed you can normally pick that up for like 20 quid and fit it yourself.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Unfortunately I haven't figured out how to make this work with social distancing :v:
Pikes seem like they would naturally encourage social distancing. The tip of a Pattern 1821 light cavalry sabre is also almost exactly 2m from you when held at arm's length, so that's also potentially a good way. It's weak against Russian artillery though, so it might not be so useful with what September has in store for us.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would definitely be finding some way to glue a replacement mirror in there rather than pay 400 bloody quid or insurance poo poo.

Guavanaut posted:

Pikes seem like they would naturally encourage social distancing. The tip of a Pattern 1821 light cavalry sabre is also almost exactly 2m from you when held at arm's length, so that's also potentially a good way. It's weak against Russian artillery though, so it might not be so useful with what September has in store for us.

One nice thing about my new stick is it's slightly more than 2 meters long so I can use it to social distance people into next week if necessary.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, nobody's going to have any enthusiasm for Dodds when she's said nothing, done nothing and gives every appearance of holding no firm beliefs in particular. The Labour front bench in general seems to have agreed to vanish from the news as much as humanly possible and I don't know what strategy this could be in aid of, beyond: "Wait for the Tories to become completely discredited, then sneak into power as the default alternative", which I'm very dubious about the effectiveness of.

they're just trying to avoid any scandals or news while they (presumably, we have seen what assuming labour is doing clever things behind the scene gets you) build networks of support in the media and the moneyed interests that run the country

parties only win in the UK if they get anointed by the media and kier and new new labour are so obsequious they may actually pull establishment support away from cumming and bojo.
especially since any GE is after the vultures feast that is no deal brexit, so there is no longer as much reason for the establishment to back bojo since they'll have already picked the bones clean

it may be labour manage to do this and then still lose due to demoralised support from the base, but they'll combat that by importing the biden thing of "bojo is actually the font of all the nations problems and everyting was fine before him, its morally dispicable to not vote for sir haircut"

also, who the gently caress is dodds?

e: its actually pretty funny, if sad, thinking back to the failure of corbyn's run as attempting to run a democratic campaign in the united kingdom
theres no point in pitching things at voters, they have no power or influence at all

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Pistol_Pete posted:

In the context of my post, it's about raising barriers to cycling that put people off and reduce the overall number of cyclists. Cycling is a unique mode of transport in that you need no licence, qualification, insurance etc to do it: anyone can just hop on a bike and start riding.

Quite apart from the legal and financial barriers these things put up, it reinforces the unhelpful belief that cycling is a dangerous activity that requires special protective clothing to participate in and is best left to fit, aggressive men in lycra, rather than a safe and simple way to travel around that's open to everyone.

Okay. That makes sense and I understand it.

I don't in any way agree with it on since it sounds like an idea that works in city life and as someone who lives in the countryside and drives around the country for work, I suspect that I will never be a targeted person for cycling.

But thank you for explaining it to me.

Failed Imagineer posted:

What does this mean? Is it a sex thing?

It meant I said helmet when I meant to say bike. My bad.
But when I was typing my post I did use the word helmet so many times it sounded like a sex thing in my head.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Communist Thoughts posted:

they're just trying to avoid any scandals or news while they (presumably, we have seen what assuming labour is doing clever things behind the scene gets you) build networks of support in the media and the moneyed interests that run the country

parties only win in the UK if they get anointed by the media and kier and new new labour are so obsequious they may actually pull establishment support away from cumming and bojo.
especially since any GE is after the vultures feast that is no deal brexit, so there is no longer as much reason for the establishment to back bojo since they'll have already picked the bones clean

it may be labour manage to do this and then still lose due to demoralised support from the base, but they'll combat that by importing the biden thing of "bojo is actually the font of all the nations problems and everyting was fine before him, its morally dispicable to not vote for sir haircut"

also, who the gently caress is dodds?

Yeah, their priority right now is to keep their heads down and kneecap the left then swoop in looking sensible and grown-up when the country falls to bits after NDB - the fact that even without covid doing its thing this policy will end up killing tens of thousands of people and leave millions far worse off doesn't even factor into the equation because all they care about it power for its own sake.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

If anything the various anecdotes people have posted just go to show that there are oblivious and/or selfish people on all forms of transport. I personally have a mountain bike and will visit trail centres on my days off so I can get off road trail riding done without having to worry about cars or pedestrians.

Despite this whenever there is any kind of event on that has spectators, pedestrians will decide the mountain bike trail is a lovely place to stand and chat and get all annoyed when trail users ask them to get out the way. There is plenty of standing room on massive grass verges a couple of feet away and plenty of signage to say they shouldn’t be on the trail. In that same vein I saw some potentially nasty near misses at Hadleigh Park a few weeks ago when a family decided that a steep rock descent was a great play area for their kids just as a couple of bikes were coming down it.

Segregated infrastructure is obviously the best way forward but there would need to be some regulations to go with it (I.e. keep left, let faster riders overtake you, don’t run a red light etc), and mostly importantly they would need to be enforced.

Don’t even get me started on people who ride in the dark with no lights or reflectors.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah, their priority right now is to keep their heads down and kneecap the left then swoop in looking sensible and grown-up when the country falls to bits after NDB - the fact that even without covid doing its thing this policy will end up killing tens of thousands of people and leave millions far worse off doesn't even factor into the equation because all they care about it power for its own sake.

yeah, though to be fair to them its not like they can stop NDB anyway. NDB or endless delay was always the most likely outcome cause all the other outcomes involve the government taking positive action, which they don't really do, might not even be capable of it.

also to again for some reason be fair to them, it makes sense for them to kneecap us, they won. its what we shoulda done to them.
one dinner with a powerful person is worth more than outreach to a million voters, having lefties around trying to futilely pitch nice things to brits just scares those people off

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They didn't win, they aren't even fighting the same battle we are, they're not trying to win, they're out for themselves, we're the only ones trying to actually fight.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
The biggest difference to me as a german expat is honestly how little fucks the average brit seems to give about the rules. Germans will wait at the red light, because we are taught from a young age that the rules are there for a reason, and personal convenience is not an excuse to disregard them. Cyclists, pedestrians, cars - the light is red, you do not go. In the UK, I have to assume anyone will disregard signs, lights, and possibly railings at any given time.
I also note that the UK has a lot of iron shutters before shop glass windows, whereas Germany... doesn't. Same for railings - German streets are largely open, because You Only Cross At Ze Green Light. It's like the UK is built on the assumption that people will ignore the rules, and then it's a Broken Window and people go "well, might as well".

That isn't to say the german approach is superior, but it is a lot more predictable and makes me feel marginally less like everyone's only out for themselves. But it's not like we e.g. don't have anti-mask protestors or other such morons.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

stev posted:

Have they actually seen an increase in footfall on the days the voucher applies for? I sure as poo poo haven't felt inclined to go for a Nandos at the beginning of the week just because it's a bit cheaper, especially since I'm working from home so it'd require a special trip out.

https://twitter.com/HawksmoorLondon/status/1288032311095767041
5000 people in 6 hours reserving tables for £10 steak & chips. Which is an absolute steal for the quality. gently caress knows/cares about Nandos.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

They didn't win, they aren't even fighting the same battle we are, they're not trying to win, they're out for themselves, we're the only ones trying to actually fight.

this is a nice idea but it isnt true, they are fighting with us for control of the labour party and won back the leadership and front bench and just purged the only left winger in there with full adulation of the media

its fine to admit when you got owned, its not permanent
they won a battle on a specific front, the war continues as it will forever

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Can we just take a step back and appreciate how absolutely wild it is that accelerationism is now the official strategy of Britain's main opposition party?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Communist Thoughts posted:

this is a nice idea but it isnt true, they are fighting with us for control of the labour party and won back the leadership and front bench and just purged the only left winger in there with full adulation of the media

its fine to admit when you got owned, its not permanent
they won a battle on a specific front, the war continues as it will forever

But the left is fighting everything else, you don't claim that trench foot won the first world war because it successfully took a lot of feet.

They aren't fighting even a fraction of the poo poo we are, I object to phrasing that implies otherwise. They are parasites.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Go out and eat but also stop eating high fat food and also don't spread the disease but also don't stay home not spending the money from the job you just lost.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

RockyB posted:

So yeah regulation isn't the answer, it's building actual proper cycle paths. And as mentioned, dilute the lycra clad arseholes who give the whole thing a bad name. I'd suggest starting by getting rid of Strava so you don't have people trying to beat each others times down pedestrianised streets.

Strava is pretty hilarious since it seems to be all about these segments, which are user contributed, and basically all of them have traffic lights along them

So, if you go cycling at like 2 am, then... you'll still have to run a bunch of red lights to get the loving high score or whatever

Also, apparently some people forget the Strava tracker app on when they're in a taxi or whatever so some segments also have these 60 miles an hour record times. Or maybe that's bad GPS I dunno. Or both

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Over the last 10 years I've lived in Boulder, Colorado. Hamburg, Germany. Alicante, Spain & Eindhoven in the Netherlands. I've commuted via bike in all of them and my fluency in each language has been kicked off by being able to communicate with bike repairmen and realising I don't even know what the bike parts were called in English (walking into a bike shop in Germany with a pedal in one hand, a wheel in the other and no skin on your knees does make for a great conversation starter and they gave me a beer!)

Cycling at 5000 feet in CO was amazing, beautiful and terrifying because the hills just go onnnn and when you're half way down one after 20 minutes you realise you're never getting back up them. The first time I got on a bike out there I couldn't get out of the damned industrial estate my office was on as it was so bloody big and all uphill. Coming back to sea level I felt like superman for 6 months. Can recommend. Every road had cycle paths and I saw one other cyclist in 9 months over there who was so happy to see another one he stopped to say hi. He turned out to be a tourist from Spain.

In Hamburg everyone wore helmets and there were cycle paths almost everywhere. It got so cold one winter my gear cable snapped which was fun. Generally the best cycling experience overall. Cheap repairs, motorists that understand that cyclists exist and pedestrians that look. I only came off my bike twice, once on a super icy road and the other where someone had dug a hole in the cycle path round a blind bend so I ended up veering into a hedge. Both times motorists stopped and ran to see if i was OK.

Spain was the polar opposite. Alicante actually has a lot of cycle paths, however they line them with trees so they're often the only shaded bit of the pavement... so pedestrians like to stroll down them or walk their dogs with the leads across them. As I was leaving e-scooters were becoming a massive thing across Spain and people were absolute hazards on them going way too fast with no ability to stop I had numerous people crash into me or altercations with parents letting their toddlers run around in the cycle lanes. Cycling in 40 degree heat was a great way to lose weight though.

Eindhoven being in the nation of bikes you'd think would be good but well, aside from the absolute lunatics reading their phones on scooters with no helmets, having cycled for 5 years at this point and having my life saved by a helmet at least once, no I'm not cycling without one.
Unfortunately being mistaken for a tourist or 'weekend cycler' turned out to be quite hazardous. Everyone be it old lady or otherwise takes it as a personal challenge to cut you off, overtake you and generally be a dick to you and I was knocked into the road more than once. Anything not attached to my bike permanently was nicked if I ever left it outside and cycle repair was extortionately expensive. I did enjoy cycling across the country and the best experience I had was cycling down to Belgium (says something that the best part of the cycling there was that I could use it to leave)

Now I'm in Sheffield and there are maybe... two? bike lanes. There are also some pavements that are red that have cycles painted on them so I think I can use them? I was certainly getting a good workout before Covid. My casual biking 20 minutes to work Europe is put to shame by colleagues who regularly cycle 2+ hours every day to get to work. Everyone here just seems far more serious. It's a lifestyle rather than just 'how you get to work cheaply'.

I dunno why I wrote all this but I do love cycling and hope as a nation we can get more folks doing it. It's bloody fun. It's also the only way we're going to be able to outrun the mutated wildlife in 2030...

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Goldskull posted:

https://twitter.com/HawksmoorLondon/status/1288032311095767041
5000 people in 6 hours reserving tables for £10 steak & chips. Which is an absolute steal for the quality. gently caress knows/cares about Nandos.

hahahahaha i'll never get to come out of my house again thanks fuckers

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
vote for corbyn as MP of the year to rile people up lol. i think the site is currently getting hammered

https://twitter.com/UKPatchwork/status/1287782219512250369?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So the vouchers don't apply to like, a takeaway chippy I'm guessing.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Lunar Suite posted:

The biggest difference to me as a german expat is honestly how little fucks the average brit seems to give about the rules. Germans will wait at the red light, because we are taught from a young age that the rules are there for a reason, and personal convenience is not an excuse to disregard them. Cyclists, pedestrians, cars - the light is red, you do not go. In the UK, I have to assume anyone will disregard signs, lights, and possibly railings at any given time.
I also note that the UK has a lot of iron shutters before shop glass windows, whereas Germany... doesn't. Same for railings - German streets are largely open, because You Only Cross At Ze Green Light. It's like the UK is built on the assumption that people will ignore the rules, and then it's a Broken Window and people go "well, might as well".

That isn't to say the german approach is superior, but it is a lot more predictable and makes me feel marginally less like everyone's only out for themselves. But it's not like we e.g. don't have anti-mask protestors or other such morons.

People flaunt the rules because there are no consequences. Consequences doesn't have to mean a copper writing you a ticket, being smeared across the asphalt works just as well.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

OwlFancier posted:

AIUI they are for eat in only.

Because we absolutely have to drive lots of people out to take their loving masks off in enclosed public spaces.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

OwlFancier posted:

Eat in only, otherwise people will just take the food to eat in their own homes during a pandemic and that would be stupid.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Welp guess I'm not using it then lol.

Like I might even consider eating in at one of my favourite little chippies if it was quiet but all this is gonna do is ensure they're rammed, so no I think I will eat my chips in the car and not die tyvm.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lunar Suite posted:

I also note that the UK has a lot of iron shutters before shop glass windows, whereas Germany... doesn't.

Every part of Germany that I've been in doesn't just have shutters on many of the shop windows, it has them on most of the homes too. Is this something specific to the western regions, maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

Don't joke about that! In a former life, one of my jobs was sort of managing a large vacant site (in Jezza's constituency no less).

My employers (a national organisation) always gave contracts to the lowest bidders regardless of ability to do the job. The site was a security nightmare with many buildings, grounds etc on it and I wanted a really good security firm to manage it. But sadly their tender price was over twice that of the winning tender which was presented by essentially a poo poo show and sadly, I was at that level in the organisation which was all responsibility and no say.

After loads of other issues with the site security (including one of the security guards climbing to the roof of a multi-storey block on the site and threatening to jump off because his wife had left him or some such), one of the problems was kids riding the grounds on bikes after dark. So one or more security guards fitted up garotte wires between various trees and sets of railings at approx kid-neck-height at various points around the grounds. VERY fortunately, someone else reported these to us before anyone got hurt/killed.

At that point, my employers finally agreed that we did indeed need a decent and expensive security firm on the job, and there were no more problems.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 28, 2020