Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The only thing I want to know is...

...how would that apply to something like Unleash the Hounds or Swarm of Locusts? :stare:

Also, this thing is going to be sickening when combo'ed with Headmaster Kel'Thuzad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
The spells wouldn't be the thing doing damage at that point, so it would do nothing

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Torrannor posted:

Okay, wow. I never thought about applying effects to spells, this is very cool. This is the only keyword that can be added onto spells, right? Taunt, rush, etc. obviously won't work. This is good with Rapid Fire.

The closest keywords to poisonous mechanically are lifesteal and overkill (lol), which can appears on minions, spells, and weapons. I guess the reason we haven't seen a spell that has poisonous (as opposed to granting it) is it's kind of superfluous compared to just saying "destroy a minion".

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

gandlethorpe posted:

The closest keywords to poisonous mechanically are lifesteal and overkill (lol), which can appears on minions, spells, and weapons. I guess the reason we haven't seen a spell that has poisonous (as opposed to granting it) is it's kind of superfluous compared to just saying "destroy a minion".

Destroy a minion eats through DS too though

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

gandlethorpe posted:

First hunter-only reveal! And it was worth staying up late!

so that's a board clear with Explosive Trap then?

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Julio Cruz posted:

I mean.. if your opponent is stupid enough to leave Slate in play and attack your face, yeah

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Julio Cruz posted:

If you are dumb enough not to kill the legendary first

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
that's what Misdirection is for

canqued
Jan 18, 2020

gandlethorpe posted:

Why not with infinite bolts using a card no one's thought of since it was revealed?

I crafted two of these to make a spell-heavy Druid list using Crystalsong Portal and a spell-heavy Hunter list using Master's Call.

Wasn't great.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

But nevermind that bull, Exodia Mage is back (oh probably also Malygos Rogue)!

YOU CAN COUNT ON ME, I'M CERTIFIED!

Suddenly I'm glad Glide is a card :v:

Edit: Flavour-wise, I like how Elekks in HS are 3 mana 3/4's that interact with your deck. Just think it's neat. Also Educated Elekk has a little bell on its collar :3:

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jul 28, 2020

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

It's like they were "remember Descend of Dragons and how that played out? Let's do this again!"

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Torrannor posted:

Okay, wow. I never thought about applying effects to spells, this is very cool. This is the only keyword that can be added onto spells, right? Taunt, rush, etc. obviously won't work. This is good with Rapid Fire.

Lifesteal could potentially be added.
Echo as well (though that's out of print now).

Blooming Brilliant posted:

YOU CAN COUNT ON ME, I'M CERTIFIED!

Sonya Shadowdancer as a spell sounds terrifying.

Think this could also help make Mill Rogue a lot more consistent once you've got the oracles in hand, you can refill them a lot easier.

Deathrattle rogue too.

More cheap flamewakers.

The terrifying list goes on.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I want to like Potion of Illusion, but I'm struggling to think of any good combo application for the card. In fact, they clearly tuned it to not work with existing rogue/mage combos. It's basically just gonna be a value generator like Barista, which is fine (off of ethereal lackey cuz I don't think I'm actually playing this in a deck)

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
This set is probably the hardest to evaluate. So many cards seem incredibly strong, but everything has a gimmick or is reliant on some combo, so I am not sure how that is going to translate in practice. It is unfortunate Aggro DH will likely be incredibly oppressive right out of the gate, because there is so much stuff worth experimenting with.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Oh Potion of illusion only affects units on board. Best case right now is probably Kronx or Togwaggle.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Firebert posted:

I want to like Potion of Illusion, but I'm struggling to think of any good combo application for the card. In fact, they clearly tuned it to not work with existing rogue/mage combos. It's basically just gonna be a value generator like Barista, which is fine (off of ethereal lackey cuz I don't think I'm actually playing this in a deck)

There is an Exodia combo with it, albeit it's probably too convoluted to work.

x2 Sorcerer's Apprentice -> Potion of Illusion -> x2 1 mana Sorcerer's Apprentice -> Potion of Illusion for x4 1 mana Sorcerer's Apprentice in hand for 8 mana.

Next turn, x4 1 mana Sorcerer's Apprentice -> Coin from Licensed Adventurer (which can also be thrown in at some point during the previous turn if at 10 mana) -> Big Tony = Free Fireballs.

It's a combo that I'd be more worried about if Ice Block was still a thing.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

This is dumb. Elekks didn't even arrive until after scholo turned to the scourge :colbert:

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Wait, with Argent Braggart lets say I'm playing Paladin and have a full HP Turyalon or Batterhead, and the enemy has a Deathwing with 2 HP, does that turn into a 12/12 then? If that's how it works that's loving bonkers for a 2 Drop

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Wait, with Argent Braggart lets say I'm playing Paladin and have a full HP Turyalon or Batterhead, and the enemy has a Deathwing with 2 HP, does that turn into a 12/12 then? If that's how it works that's loving bonkers for a 2 Drop

yeah I assume it's like that

that'll be extremely rare though and it's vulnerable to silence (especially the new Mage silence/rush minion)

I think if it does see play it'll be as a 2-mana Faceless Manipulator-ish card in a Big/Control Paladin, which very well may not be a thing anyway

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

yeah I assume it's like that

that'll be extremely rare though and it's vulnerable to silence (especially the new Mage silence/rush minion)

I think if it does see play it'll be as a 2-mana Faceless Manipulator-ish card in a Big/Control Paladin, which very well may not be a thing anyway

I mean, DH silencing a 2 Drop as opposed to like, Tirion or some poo poo is something I would consider a win.
Also The fact that you can play this alongside Turyalon and gain a 12 HP minion with probably high attack can make for some crazy rear end swing plays.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

You could play it along a libram for two 8/8s (or more)

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

uh.... insane?

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
It's... mostly cheaper Frostbolt, but that combo requirement could be a real bummer sometime. Really nice discover target though.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

What I'm personally looking forward to trying is some kind of ridiculous spell cyclone PRIEST now - between the amount of 'copy a minion' spells available, cost reduction with radiant, infinite generation with Lyra and Veilweaver, value with Elekk and Test Subject, etc... there's potentially something truly stupidly comical there. I mean, you obviously want to have a Yogg and some seances too.

Olpainless fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 28, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Olpainless posted:

It's... mostly cheaper Frostbolt, but that combo requirement could be a real bummer sometime. Really nice discover target though.
Combo requirements on 1 mana spells might as well not exist... when do you need to deal 3 damage to a unit turn 1 on the play?

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

It's also available to rogue, which I am not looking forward to experiencing.
Mage is whatever but that's a very, very efficient removal spell for rogue.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Nah. I think my bold claim of the set is that this card won't see much play.

A) it can't go face
B) both Mage and Rogue have plenty of single-target removal
C) the combo limitation isn't trivial

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDawd3eWQAE

Priest/Paladin Legendary with Spellburst: cast a random spell from your deck and target this minion if possible

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Fun concept. Would be much stronger non-legendary because it basically wants you to build around only expensive spells then get a cheap spell into your hand via minion-based card generation.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

It has a surprising amount of burst potential for Paladin. Coin it turn 3, then turn 4 BoK into another spellbursted BoK. Nifty.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Devo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDawd3eWQAE

Priest/Paladin Legendary with Spellburst: cast a random spell from your deck and target this minion if possible

Seems to be more of a Paladin minion. Priest runs far too many things that would work against you.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

TyrantWD posted:

Seems to be more of a Paladin minion. Priest runs far too many things that would work against you.

Theoretical Zoo Priest likes this card if Theoretical Zoo Priest gets any kind of card draw

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
the Spellburst effect happens after the spell has been cast and resolved, right? so any minion copying spell is going to get you 2 Aluras and then the Spellbursts on both go off?

e: or maybe the Spellburst on the second one doesn't proc because it wasn't on the board when the first spell was cast, but it should still be there for the next spell

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 28, 2020

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

Love that most of the paladin / priest split cards are really just paladin cards, but without taking up space in the set for paladin.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I didn't realize that the Elekk works for enemy spells as well. It's still a meme, but a good one. Maybe for fatigue decks after Elysiana rotates.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Devo posted:

Theoretical Zoo Priest likes this card if Theoretical Zoo Priest gets any kind of card draw

Blizzard kind of forgot about Priest needing card draw. They will probably get another basic set rework once Galakrond rotates out next year.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

TyrantWD posted:

Blizzard kind of forgot about Priest needing card draw. They will probably get another basic set rework once Galakrond rotates out next year.

I think Blizzard expects Priest’s strong Card Generation to make up for Draw, but that also means any chance of playing a non long game deck for Priest goes out the loving window.

Cant really rely on Generation to help a zoo deck close the game out really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
OP with Shadow Word: Pain