Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
https://twitter.com/simonshen_glos/status/1287953341683658752

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Mozi posted:

more of a molotov apertif

edit: good news everyone

Lasting heart damage could be COVID-19's legacy for some non-hospitalized survivors

so 78 out of 100 young people and 24 of 39 old people had heart damage. very encouraging, i can't wait to catch this disease

It's important to note that this study doesn't include asymptomatic individuals according to it. We shouldn't draw any conclusions about the damage to unaffected carriers from this, although it's extremely worrying for even mild cases.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
https://twitter.com/HongKongHermit/status/1288094556781600769
https://twitter.com/HongKongHermit/status/1288095836811874307

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Warmachine posted:

PTSD isn't just for soldiers. People in abusive relationships suffer from it all the time. Arguably the money habits of folks who survived the Great Depression could be classified as PTSD (compulsive saving habits informed by a mistrust of institutions brought about by the trauma of living through a time). There are certainly more vulnerable members of society who are already suffering having lived for five months not knowing if the random person they saw that day was carrying invisible death or not.

I've been working on my consciousness the past 2 years and I have no doubt that we all have hundreds or thousands of PTSD incidents stuck inside us, but most of them are at a much lower level than a soldier or a sexual assault survivor. Trauma can be being rejected by a girl, being made fun of, even watching a scary movie. On a scale of 1 to 100 having your leg blown off in war might be a 100/100 whereas being rejected by a girl might be a 4/100 but these incidents all add up over time and shape the way we behave. I'm sure anti mask people probably in their history had some serious issues with people exerting control over them in a manner that was damaging to their psyche. It is possible to address and release trauma though, even the little stuff which is what I've been doing lately.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Gologle posted:

EDIT: OK, to be fair, obviously not all 330 million people are going to get it, in fact, if possible the percentage of the population that will contract it will be far, far less. But even taking the 70-80% of the population number posted earlier, that still means over 240 million may get it, and of those, over 7 million will die, using your figure. And that's just death. Of the ones who do survive and recover, how many will have had severe symptoms necessitating hospitalization and ventilation? I think a previous number said 20% of those infected?

The actual death rate is probably closer to 1% when you factor in all the people who got it and never got tested. But still it's a big number...

CarlosTheDwarf fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jul 28, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It’s becoming more and more clear that even if you get a ‘mild’ case you may not come out of it the same, which is why the government pushing people back to work is criminal IMO

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

I'm surprised China beat Trump to this one.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

The actual death rate is probably closer to 1% when you factor in all the people who got it and never got tested. But still it's a big number...

we dont know the actual death rate because no one has done a study on the long term consequences! just because you dont die from asphyxiation doesn't mean that maybe roni sufferers die of heart failure 2-3 years later at a 80% rate or something.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s becoming more and more clear that even if you get a ‘mild’ case you may not come out of it the same, which is why the government pushing people back to work is criminal IMO

considering "back to work" policies disproportionately effects black people i would also call it genocidal

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
pretty much everything coming out about decreased lung and heart function means if you don't have health insurance now, you sure as poo poo won't get it 5-10 years from now when they see you were positive for covid 19

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Yeah.

The USA.

edit: meaning that different states, counties, cities all have different orders. Some counties ban masks while defiant cities enact them. The US is even more crazy than Hong Kong.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 28, 2020

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

day 5 update: me, trying to respond rationally to my growing anxiety-depression spiral: "now now, just take a deep breath-gently caress"

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

I've been working on my consciousness the past 2 years and I have no doubt that we all have hundreds or thousands of PTSD incidents stuck inside us, but most of them are at a much lower level than a soldier or a sexual assault survivor. Trauma can be being rejected by a girl, being made fun of, even watching a scary movie. On a scale of 1 to 100 having your leg blown off in war might be a 100/100 whereas being rejected by a girl might be a 4/100 but these incidents all add up over time and shape the way we behave. I'm sure anti mask people probably in their history had some serious issues with people exerting control over them in a manner that was damaging to their psyche. It is possible to address and release trauma though, even the little stuff which is what I've been doing lately.

I highly doubt that. Chances are they're just assholes who, in fact, have zero trauma and aren't used to being told what to do.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I wonder what is happening to private insurance companies these days, and what will happen in the coming months. There have been almost 300k covid hospitalizations and a lot more to come. Plus all this new info that people who have caught the plague might need expensive treatment indefinitely.

My guess is the federal government goes ahead and socializes the losses (for companies, not individuals of course) with no changes to our underlying system.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

You know that was $25 a week right? During the recession nearly everyone with a valid claim got an extra 25 a week and an extension of 13 more weeks to collect after their claim was exhausted. (UI claims are open for a year but don’t have 52 weeks of payments) It was called the EUC (some states also triggered into EB which was a few more weeks depending on the unemployment rate) There are 3 different things happened in UI now. The extra 600 called FPUC, the extension that lets people keep collecting their normal weekly without the 600 until the end of this year called PEUC, and the PUA which for self employed people and gig workers that wouldn’t have a valid claim because they don’t have UI earnings to use to calculate a benefit amount.

So when he says that they will pay “8 times what the Democrats did” he means $200.00 a week. Plus whatever their normal weekly amount would be, until 2021.

The article I quoted from cnn had him say "the great depression"

they fixed it but didn't actually mention any edits, i just copy-pasted from the original version of this pre-fix..tbf though this was the first time i've seen it referred to as the "great recession", must have missed that moniker..we just called it the recession between looking for jobs in 2008 :shrug:

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-pandemic-07-27-20-intl/h_35986c3b2c605567421b64bc7850b01a

e: they also extended UI/PUA to 59 weeks but I'm not sure if thats a state by state thing

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 28, 2020

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Manager Hoyden posted:

I wonder what is happening to private insurance companies these days, and what will happen in the coming months. There have been almost 300k covid hospitalizations and a lot more to come. Plus all this new info that people who have caught the plague might need expensive treatment indefinitely.

My guess is the federal government goes ahead and socializes the losses (for companies, not individuals of course) with no changes to our underlying system.

My guess is that they're living the high life. Well, more so than usual.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I did learn senators make on average 175k a year today. I don't know why I thought it would be way lower

Youth Decay posted:

day 5 update: me, trying to respond rationally to my growing anxiety-depression spiral: "now now, just take a deep breath-gently caress"

did you get tested?

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Manager Hoyden posted:

I wonder what is happening to private insurance companies these days, and what will happen in the coming months.
they made record breaking profits since people were paying premiums and not going to doc appointments, elective surgeries, or even the ER due to quarantine or being to scare to go. seen several stories where companies are denying claims to cover covid-related hospitalizations and no one is going to ever hold them accountable or attempt to reform health coverage in this country. they are going to do just fine while the average person suffers.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

zer0spunk posted:

I did learn senators make on average 175k a year today

It’s not [just] an average, their salary is literally $174,000/year

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I highly doubt that. Chances are they're just assholes who, in fact, have zero trauma and aren't used to being told what to do.

Yep anti-mask people appeared on this Earth as fully-formed natural entitled assholes who made it all the way into adulthood never having had any trauma because America is a nice place and always nice things happen.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

ketchup vs catsup posted:

It’s not [just] an average, their salary is literally $174,000/year

the "most" threw me off in this

quote:

The compensation for most Senators, Representatives, Delegates, and the Resident Commissioner from Puerto Rico is $174,000.

The snippet from that senate doc didn't have the followup sentence

quote:

The only exceptions include the Speaker of the House (salary of $223,500) and the President pro tempore of the Senate and the majority and minority leaders in the House and Senate (salary of
$193,400).1

the exception being more not less :negative:

mitch making 193k mad about people getting 30k on unemployment, cool cool cool

100 current senators x 175k = 17.5 million from the treasury department..how is this not a contentious point of debate this year considering they take all these periods off from being in session

quote:

Feb 17 - Feb 21 State Work Period Presidents' Day - Feb 17
Mar 16 - Mar 20 State Work Period
Apr 6 - Apr 17 State Work Period
May 25 - May 29 State Work Period Memorial Day - May 25
Jul 3 - Jul 17 State Work Period Independence Day - Jul 4
Aug 10 - Sep 7 State Work Period Labor Day - Sep 7
Sep 28 - Sep 29 State Work Period
Oct 12 - Nov 6 State Work Period Columbus Day - Oct 12
Nov 11 Veterans Day
Nov 23 - Nov 27 State Work Period Thanksgiving - Nov 26
Dec 21 - Dec 31 State Work Period

quote:

Members of Congress work fewer than half of the days in any given year, but those account for only "legislative days," defined as an official meeting of the legislative body to do the people's business. The House works about two days a week and the Senate works a little more than that, according to federal records.1

You've probably heard the phrase "do-nothing Congress" at least once in your life, and it's often a jab at the inability of lawmakers to reach common ground and pass important spending bills. Sometimes it's a reference to how little Congress appears to work, especially in light of the $174,000 base salary for its members—more than three times the amount of money the median U.S. household earns.

Here's an explanation of how many days Congress works every year.

Number of Days Congress Works in Session a Year
The House of Representatives has averaged 146.7 "legislative days" a year since 2001, according to records kept.2 That's about one day of work every two and a half days. The Senate, on the other hand, was in session an average of 165 days a year over the same time period.3

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 28, 2020

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

zer0spunk posted:

I did learn senators make on average 175k a year today. I don't know why I thought it would be way lower

did you get tested?

I don't have a car or friends and I ain't about to be a rideshare plague vector so I got the Labcorp in-home test kit that's supposed to arrive this morning. When they get the sample back it'll supposedly be 2-3 days before I get results which is probably as good or better than any of the places in the city.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Hell yeah! First day back to school is going great. We have a corporation "road map" for covid procedures that includes that to be considered having contact and being sent home for covid, you have to be within 6 feet of the infected person for 15 minutes with no mask. loving lol. However, there's no real guidance on sanitizing desks between classes and a few other things they neglected to compile any direction on so we came up with that during our hour long staff meeting this morning. Sounds great.

About 2/3 of the students are coming back on Thursday. Those whose parents haven't been fingerblasting their keyboards all summer and screaming messages on the school and town Facebook groups about "scoolz must watch are babbies its are rites as americns" are keeping their kids at home and I sincerely thank them for being reasonable.

Also, there's no soap in the restrooms currently.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

johnny dappertweed posted:

Yep anti-mask people appeared on this Earth as fully-formed natural entitled assholes who made it all the way into adulthood never having had any trauma because America is a nice place and always nice things happen.

trauma doesnt make you entitled. people that are melting down because of masks are the opposite of traumatized, they have spent their entire life insulated from any discomfort

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

How on earth did you get that out of what I said?

I'm saying these a lot people were handed everything in life and now that they have to do something that they don't want to do they resist. Notice that they're all white middle aged people who are freaking out?

wtf are you talking about?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Society, top-to-bottom, is just people acting out their traumas and psychopathologies.

In a better world than our own we would keep this fact in our minds both in our dealings with others and in our policy-making.

This is not a better world than our own, though?

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007

Rutibex posted:

trauma doesnt make you entitled.

I dunno, ~2% of the population suffers from NPD and none of those people I've met have had lovely lives.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I'm saying these a lot people were handed everything in life and now that they have to do something that they don't want to do they resist. Notice that they're all white middle aged people who are freaking out?

Anti-mask people are melting down because they're scared and stupid and regularly read and watch propaganda.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Anti-mask people are melting down because they're scared and stupid and regularly read and watch propaganda.

I can't argue that.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Somebody tell these Governors that the first one to lock down their state could be back as the early '24 favorite. Looking at you Mikey Boy.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

zer0spunk posted:

the "most" threw me off in this

The snippet from that senate doc didn't have the followup sentence

the exception being more not less :negative:

mitch making 193k mad about people getting 30k on unemployment, cool cool cool

Honestly, that's far more than I'll ever make, but it's in the same ballpark as like your typical doctor or dentist. I know (specialized) construction workers who make nearly that much. Besides the Speaker of the House, they'd all have to more than double their salary to even qualify as part of the "1%". Anyway, I'm not saying they're underpaid or anything like that - it's more the opposite. Their salary is just a drop in the bucket compared to special favors and shady money flowing through Washington. Most politicians leave office wealthy beyond what most of us would ever dream of. And it's not because they served a term or two making low-ish 6 figures.

JoshGuitar fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 28, 2020

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
They should all be paid the median income of the US.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

JoshGuitar posted:

Honestly, that's far more than I'll ever make, but it's in the same ballpark as like your typical doctor or dentist. I know (specialized) construction workers who make nearly that much. Besides the Speaker of the House, they'd all have to more than double their salary to even qualify as part of the "1%". Anyway, I'm not saying they're underpaid or anything like that - it's more the opposite. Their salary is just a drop in the bucket compared to special favors and shady money flowing through Washington. Most politicians leave office wealthy beyond what most of us would ever dream of. And it's not because they served a term or two making low-ish 6 figures.

Maybe this was common knowledge and I was ill-informed :shrug:

175k and they put in 165 days a year. Something about having a rep that makes 3 times what the average american household makes rubs me the wrong way completely.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

JoshGuitar posted:

the salary is just a token. senators get the real $$$ afterwards when they get hired for their political connections to be consultants or lobbyists or whatever

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
All that's going to do is select even further for people who're already :homebrew:. Not that there's a shortage of that or anything but this is some term limits-tier thinking.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Schadenboner posted:

All that's going to do is select even further for people who're already :homebrew:. Not that there's a shortage of that or anything but this is some term limits-tier thinking.

put in the context that these are the same people calling the public self-entitled and lazy for not wanting to go back to work in a pandemic...gently caress all of them

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
The solution to having lovely lawmakers is to get better ones, paying them less is orthogonal.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Schadenboner posted:

The solution to having lovely lawmakers is to get better ones, paying them less is orthogonal.

its also the solution to lawmakers being overpaid, as they set their own salary :v:

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Schadenboner posted:

i mean, can we try it one time? let's see what happens if we have representatives on the other side of the wealth disparity. the disconnect between constituent reality and elected official reality is on some "how much could a banana cost, $10 bucks?" poo poo and we're looking at it right now with the ongoing stimulus debates

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

zer0spunk posted:

i mean, can we try it one time? let's see what happens if we have representatives on the other side of the wealth disparity. the disconnect between constituent reality and elected official reality is on some "how much could a banana cost, $10 bucks?" poo poo and we're looking at it right now with the ongoing stimulus debates

People who go into politics are generally rather rich already. That's literally where democracy* comes from: you get a bunch of non-aristos with enough money to have free time at which point they start demanding political power.

*: :airquote:

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Well, I'm not going to debate whether it's good or not (it's not), but the thought of paying congress that much was that they would be normal people (:lol:) that weren't rich (:lmao:) that would need to be paid an amount that would allow them to live in one of the most expensive cities in the US (Washington DC) while also maintaining their residence in whatever gated community to keep out the undesireables blue collar town they live in. The salaries are all the same, so the congressperson from east bumfuck, IA makes the same as the fancy congressperson from NYC, NY.

Also, just because they have recesses in Washington, doesn't mean that they're not working. My congresswoman regularly holds multiple days of long town halls when she's here. They have office hours, etc. I'm 100% positive some are better than others and that a ton of them slack off and don't do meaningful work, but to look at the legislative schedule and say "those are the only days they work" is silly. Also, they have to campaign for whatever next step they want to take and take money from lobbyists - you can't do that on the clock :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Senators should each be paid 10 million dollars a year so that they're immune to bribery and special interest groups.