Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

All senators should be required to regularly receive fellatio from a man so that they can't be blackmailed for being a closeted homosexual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

That man should be me.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Like that would be enough.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

bird with big dick posted:

Senators should each be paid 10 million dollars a year so that they're immune to bribery and special interest groups.

if there is one thing history has taught us, is that politicians fall prey to bribery due to need and poverty, and not all consuming greed

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

zer0spunk posted:

i mean, can we try it one time? let's see what happens if we have representatives on the other side of the wealth disparity. the disconnect between constituent reality and elected official reality is on some "how much could a banana cost, $10 bucks?" poo poo and we're looking at it right now with the ongoing stimulus debates

The right constantly demeans AOC as "just some bartender" for daring to get into politics. That's the mindset - if you're not already part of a political family or super rich, you don't deserve to be in politics.

Plus as others mentioned - the time commitment means most normal people can't do it. I looked in to running for my local city council and I couldn't possibly keep up with time demands for stuff like fundraisers and campaigning.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

bird with big dick posted:

Senators should each be paid 10 million dollars a year so that they're immune to bribery and special interest groups.

This only works if the penalty for the slightest hint of corruption is a public execution.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Schadenboner posted:

People who go into politics are generally rather rich already. That's literally where democracy* comes from: you get a bunch of non-aristos with enough money to have free time at which point they start demanding political power.

*: :airquote:

there are exceptions to that rule for sure, off the top of my head obama and bill clinton are probably the highest-profile ones i can think of immediately. but yeah, working-class backgrounds are vastly underrepresented in politics...the virus is only highlighting that disconnect right now

nixon too, forgot he grew up dirt poor

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jul 28, 2020

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Z the IVth posted:

This only works if the penalty for the slightest hint of corruption is a public execution.

Take it a step beyond that. That's enough money they should never be legally able to accept a cent from another source.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

See this is why I've long advocated that anyone who holds national public office, at the end of their term, be publicly executed no matter how good a job they did. That'll weed out the self-interested from running pretty quick

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
i guess my whole point of this derail

someone making 193 thousand a year purposefully delaying assistance to 40 million people, a good chunk of which are in industries that aren't reopened anyway and can't work thanks to government mismanagement in the first place.....over $28,800 a year before taxes..gets to me more then it should. like eye twitch style.

28k is some kingly sum? i'm pretty sure you're eligible for every single assistance program if that's what you make. on what planet are people who are taking massive yearly paycuts to stay safe right now living it up on 28k???? :wtc:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cacafuego posted:

Also, just because they have recesses in Washington, doesn't mean that they're not working.

every free moment a politician has is spent telemarketing to rich people for campaign contributions

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

zer0spunk posted:

someone making 193 thousand a year purposefully delaying assistance to 40 million people, a good chunk of which are in industries that aren't reopened anyway and can't work thanks to government mismanagement in the first place.....over $28,800 a year before taxes..gets to me more then it should. like eye twitch style.

Mitch McConnell isn't going to find Buddha dancing in his desk drawer and decide to give peace a chance if he's making 63k. The problem is the :gop: is a literal death cult.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 28, 2020

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Michael, based on your recent purchases of worksite supplies, you may be interested in an Amazon Business account.
Create a free Amazon Business account and access exclusive business features.

Cool email I just got. I guess I have crack pinged as they say. Got dudes working here the last few days and everyday more poo poo comes and they probably think I am insane!
Anyway, does this business account sound like a good idea?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Schadenboner posted:

Mitch McConnell isn't going to find Buddha dancing in his desk drawer and decide to give peace a chance if he's making 63k. The problem is the :gop: is a literal death cult.

the annual poverty level is 12k a year in 48 states, which is nuts to me. now i get why they think everyone is a baller @ 28 a year 🙄. this is just going to make me go into the why the gently caress isn't the national min wage 15 already and how hasn't it changed since 2009 rant

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Manager Hoyden posted:

I wonder what is happening to private insurance companies these days, and what will happen in the coming months. There have been almost 300k covid hospitalizations and a lot more to come. Plus all this new info that people who have caught the plague might need expensive treatment indefinitely.

My guess is the federal government goes ahead and socializes the losses (for companies, not individuals of course) with no changes to our underlying system.

In most cases, employer backed insurance has switched from a high premium/low deductible plan to high deductible/HSA program. If I went to the hospital today I wouldn't get insurance to pay for anything until I spent $2500, and then everything after that is only 80% coinsurance, not even fully covered by my plan.

This is the ONLY plan available to me through the company. It literally relies on me paying a premium AND putting my own money into an account to cover the deductible. I would almost have to get COVID to get my insurance to pay anything as I've never hit a deductible here or with my previous company where it was slightly lower. These plans are the standard for a lot of large companies to offer because they have a smaller premium to cover on their side and so less overhead. Insurance companies love them because they are insulated from having to pay for most things that may come up. I think insurance companies aren't going to be fine. Q2 earnings are starting to roll out, so we'll know more soon.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

zer0spunk posted:

mitch making 193k mad about people getting 30k on unemployment, cool cool cool

zer0spunk posted:

28k is some kingly sum? i'm pretty sure you're eligible for every single assistance program if that's what you make. on what planet are people who are taking massive yearly paycuts to stay safe right now living it up on 28k???? :wtc:

Mitch McConnell's wife is the scion of a Chinese shipping magnate. McConnell's fortunes are intrinsically tied to the national interests of China. McConnell's wife, Elaine Chao, is currently the United States Secretary of Transportation and was also Secretary of Labor under President George W. Bush. The combined net worth of McConnell and Chao is around $35 million. There are numerous and repeated public examples of each of them using their positions in ways that financially benefit themselves or the Chao family business. So his $193,000/yr from his senate salary doesn't really matter to him.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Lazyfire posted:

In most cases, employer backed insurance has switched from a high premium/low deductible plan to high deductible/HSA program. If I went to the hospital today I wouldn't get insurance to pay for anything until I spent $2500, and then everything after that is only 80% coinsurance, not even fully covered by my plan.

This is the ONLY plan available to me through the company. It literally relies on me paying a premium AND putting my own money into an account to cover the deductible. I would almost have to get COVID to get my insurance to pay anything as I've never hit a deductible here or with my previous company where it was slightly lower. These plans are the standard for a lot of large companies to offer because they have a smaller premium to cover on their side and so less overhead. Insurance companies love them because they are insulated from having to pay for most things that may come up. I think insurance companies aren't going to be fine. Q2 earnings are starting to roll out, so we'll know more soon.

Insurance companies are the scum of the Earth. Possibly the business I hate the most. That and the prison system.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

They don't think that - that's a speaking point they use for their idiot base. You're giving them more credit than they deserve. I'd say they haven't even thought about it, or care.

GOP doesn't want federal money to US citizens because that strengthens the federal government (which they don't want) and it spends federal money (which they also don't want) on non-rich people (which they really don't want), which will drain federal money and it needs to be raised somehow. This would require people to pay more taxes (political suicide for whoever suggests this), the wealthy to pay more taxes (which they obviously don't want), or corporations to pay more taxes - which is what they've been working for years to be decreased. Above all, they don't want corporations to pay more taxes.

That's all it is. They don't consider the people at all. It's all about not having to raise taxes somehow, especially on themselves or corporations where they get their money.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
:gop::thermidor:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Michael Corleone posted:

Michael, based on your recent purchases of worksite supplies, you may be interested in an Amazon Business account.

Cool email I just got. I guess I have crack pinged as they say. Got dudes working here the last few days and everyday more poo poo comes and they probably think I am insane!

Take a break from buying so many supplies until you get through at least a quarter to a half of them.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Michael Corleone posted:

Yeah dude you need to take a xanax and settle down.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Found out today that I was exposed a little less than two weeks ago. Super stoked! No symptoms at this time which I guess means I can't be tested yet.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Mozi posted:

Lasting heart damage could be COVID-19's legacy for some non-hospitalized survivors

so 78 out of 100 young people and 24 of 39 old people had heart damage. very encouraging, i can't wait to catch this disease

Jesus Christ

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jul 28, 2020

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

My wife is still struggling with heart & lung damage from COVID after 4 months, and my biggest fear is that in five years her heart just stops working. Nobody knows anything about this virus. :( It could be as bad as AIDS and we don't know.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

smoobles posted:

My wife is still struggling with heart & lung damage from COVID after 4 months, and my biggest fear is that in five years her heart just stops working. Nobody knows anything about this virus. :( It could be as bad as AIDS and we don't know.

Stay strong. Labs all over the world are working on solutions. Even AIDS can be managed nowadays so keep hope.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Yeah dude you need to take a xanax and settle down.

He sounds like he's trying to buy a sense of security with mountains of supplies and will be on the verge of a breakdown if he just stops.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
I now know TWO texan Careflite EMTs who have covid symptoms yet have been ordered to go to work, because under american rules you're only a covid case if the test comes back positive, which, at a false negative rate of 20% - 60% ... lol. :black101:

This is literally worse than how china handled it.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Mithaldu posted:

I now know TWO texan Careflite EMTs who have covid symptoms yet have been ordered to go to work, because under american rules you're only a covid case if the test comes back positive, which, at a false negative rate of 20% - 60% ... lol. :black101:

This is literally worse than how china handled it.

Which test kits have a false negative rate that low?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

There Bias Two posted:

Which test kits have a false negative rate that low?

https://globalnews.ca/news/7045805/coronavirus-test-false-negative-study/

Btw, very specifically gently caress Careflite.

They are literally murderers. (I mean, have been before, i know many anecdotes, but this poo poo takes the cake.)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/WLWT/status/1288184222256189441?s=20

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Roni needs to leave my cats alone

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
https://covid19risk.biosci.gatech.edu/

According to this risk assessment tool, I have virtually a 100% chance of being exposed to virus carriers at work every day. Cool, good, and perfectly fine.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Holy poo poo, why am I just now hearing about this :stare:

Trump’s New Favorite COVID Doctor Believes in Alien DNA, Demon Sperm, and Hydroxychloroquine

quote:

Immanuel, a pediatrician and a religious minister, has a history of making bizarre claims about medical topics and other issues. She has often claimed that gynecological problems like cysts and endometriosis are in fact caused by people having sex in their dreams with demons and witches.

She alleges alien DNA is currently used in medical treatments, and that scientists are cooking up a vaccine to prevent people from being religious. And, despite appearing in Washington, D.C. to lobby Congress on Monday, she has said that the government is run in part not by humans but by “reptilians” and other aliens.

quote:

In her speech, Immanuel alleges that she has successfully treated hundreds of patients with hydroxychloroquine, a controversial treatment Trump has promoted and says he has taken himself. Studies have failed to find proof that the drug has any benefit in treating COVID-19, and the Food and Drug Administration in June revoked its emergency authorization to use it to treat the deadly virus, saying it hadn’t demonstrated any effect on patients’ mortality prospects.

“Nobody needs to get sick,” Immanuel said. “This virus has a cure.”

Immanuel said in her speech that the supposed potency of hydroxychloroquine as a treatment means that protective face masks aren’t necessary, claiming that she and her staff had avoided contracting COVID-19 despite wearing medical masks instead of the more secure N95 masks.

“Hello, you don’t need a mask. There is a cure,” Immanuel said.

quote:

“Hydroxychloroquine” trended on Twitter, as Immanuel’s video was embraced by the Trumps, conservative student group Turning Point USA, and pro-Trump personalities like Diamond & Silk. But both Facebook and Twitter eventually deleted videos of Immanuel’s speech from their sites, citing rules against COVID-19 disinformation. The deletions set off yet another round of complaints by conservatives of bias at the social-media platforms.

Immanuel responded in her own way, declaring that Jesus Christ would destroy Facebook’s servers if her videos weren’t restored to the platform.

quote:

In sermons posted on YouTube and articles on her website, Immanuel claims that medical issues like endometriosis, cysts, infertility, and impotence are caused by sex with “spirit husbands” and “spirit wives”—a phenomenon Immanuel describes essentially as witches and demons having sex with people in a dreamworld.

“They are responsible for serious gynecological problems,” Immanuel said. “We call them all kinds of names—endometriosis, we call them molar pregnancies, we call them fibroids, we call them cysts, but most of them are evil deposits from the spirit husband,” Immanuel said of the medical issues in a 2013 sermon. “They are responsible for miscarriages, impotence—men that can’t get it up.”

quote:

In her sermon, Immanuel offers a sort of demonology of “nephilim,” the biblical characters she claims exist as demonic spirits and lust after dream sex with humans, causing all matter of real health problems and financial ruin. Immanuel claims real-life ailments such as fibroid tumors and cysts stem from the demonic sperm after demon dream sex, an activity she claims affects “many women.”

“They turn into a woman and then they sleep with the man and collect his sperm,” Immanuel said in her sermon. “Then they turn into the man and they sleep with a man and deposit the sperm and reproduce more of themselves.”

According to Immanuel, people can tell if they have taken a demonic spirit husband or spirit wife if they have a sex dream about someone they know or a celebrity, wake up aroused, stop getting along with their real-world spouse, lose money, or generally experience any hardship.

Alternately, they could just be having dream-sex with a human witch instead of a demon, she posits.

“There are those that are called astral sex,” Immanuel said in the sermon. “That means this person is not really a demon being or a nephilim. It’s just a human being that’s a witch, and they astral project and sleep with people.”

quote:

In her 2015 sermon on the Illuminati’s supposed agenda to bring down the United States, Immanuel argues that a wide variety of toys, books, and TV shows, from Pokémon—which she declares “Eastern demons”—to Harry Potter and the Disney Channel shows Wizards of Waverly Place and That’s So Raven were all part of a scheme to introduce children to spirits and witches. Immanuel warned that the Disney Channel show Hannah Montana was a gateway to evil, because its character had an “alter ego.” She has claimed that schools teach children to meditate so they can “meet with demons.”

In the sermon, Immanuel preserved special vitriol for the Magic 8-Ball, a toy that can be shaken up to “reveal” any answer. Immanuel claims the otherwise innocuous Magic 8-Ball was in fact a scheme to get children used to witchcraft.

“The 8-Ball was a psychic,” she said.

quote:

Immanuel has also used her pulpit to preach hatred of LGBT people. Shortly before the Supreme Court legalized gay marriage, Immanuel warned her flock that gay marriage meant that “very soon people are going to be seeking to marry children” and accused gay Americans of practicing “homosexual terrorism.” In the same sermon, she praised a father’s decision to not love his transgender son after a gender transition.

“You know the crazy part?” Immanuel said. “The little girl demands he must love her anyway. Really? You will not get it from me, I’d be like ‘Little girl, when you come back to be a little girl again, but you talk—for now, I’m gone.’”

The whole article is a loving roller coaster.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Hazo posted:

Holy poo poo, why am I just now hearing about this :stare:

Trump’s New Favorite COVID Doctor Believes in Alien DNA, Demon Sperm, and Hydroxychloroquine

The whole article is a loving roller coaster.

this should be shocking, but i mean, trump

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

How the gently caress does this moron have a medical lic-

oh right, America.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/adammintzer/status/1288105709255700480

https://twitter.com/AndyShain/status/1286740935469129730

:tif:

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

quote:

The first study, published Monday in the Journal of the American Medical Association Cardiology, looked at the cardiac MRIs of 100 relatively young patients who had recovered from COVID-19 and compared them to MRIs of 100 similar people who had not contracted the disease. Two-thirds of the patients recovered at home.

now this is a sentence right here. so what im getting from this is that even if we return to normal (lol) in the states, for the next ten years people are just going to be dropping like flies all over the place from heart failure. kinda spooky! I guess its a good time to open a heart transplant business. if you have any hearts that you would like to donate please pm me

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

:lol:1 - AccelerateED

:lol:2 - SC has an “elite” anything school, let alone one that is elite in math. I mean, this is the state who’s state university students proudly wear merchandise that says COCKS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Hey, good news: despite the company's profit for Q2 dropping 98% from Q2 2019, neither my wife or I are getting laid off! This totally counts as a bright spot, don't take it away from me. I am currently drinking in celebration instead of depression because of this.

Haha, so many people are going to die.

We have friends who were told that they could either start sending their kids back to daycare or lose their spaces going forward as soon as our state opened childcare back up. They ultimately decided they couldn't afford to lose the daycare slots because our state had sufficiently low COVID spread that they decided in-person school would be a thing this fall and both of them work in education. Recently we've been seeing an uptick in cases to the point where we're nearing another outbreak but the governor is not going to go back on schools opening, so toddlers will be in daycare and the parents around middle schoolers and adults all day long and everyone hoping they don't get sick. This loving hellcountry, man.