Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

you got bee trained

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
i feel like making the distinction still doesn't quite reach the implication that 'gonzo original' -> 'bad', because it's not like the creative output there was from in-house talent with a distinct style. for example, kaleido star is a satojun show. gravion is an obari show. fans of those directors point to those shows

Space Flower fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 28, 2020

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

Just be glad it wasn't anything from her super cursed foot stream
Oh lord do I even want to know

Talking about vtubers I watched Ayunda Risu's spicy noodle stream live, Aisha going "EAT ME INSTEAD BABY" and Moona asking for leftovers had me rolling

Also y'all need to watch more Pikamee

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

homeless snail posted:

that's hosed up, unless it's because kaoru is being promoted to hololive

Apparently he cut his contract short for personal reasons, and the split was amicable at least. Still sucks.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

homeless snail posted:

you got bee trained

bee train ftw. love a show that feels like it's trying to be cowboy bebop with lesbians but it doesn't have the resources to go for the same flashy presentation or tight pacing so every shot is people staring at each other for five seconds longer than they need to, every gun fight is the main character awkwardly standing behind a wall and firing pot shots and sometimes a lady who tried to be a stealth master and sneak through air vents but failed because her rear end is too big chimes in to say "THERE ONCE WERE PEOPLE CALLED WITCHES. THE WITCHES HAD MYSTERIOUS POWERS. NOW NADIE AND ELLIS WILL LEARN OF THEIR CONNECTION... TO THE WITCHES"

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I thought "Cowboy Bebop with lesbians" was Michiko and Hatchin

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

The Colonel posted:

bee train ftw. love a show that feels like it's trying to be cowboy bebop with lesbians but it doesn't have the resources to go for the same flashy presentation or tight pacing so every shot is people staring at each other for five seconds longer than they need to, every gun fight is the main character awkwardly standing behind a wall and firing pot shots and sometimes a lady who tried to be a stealth master and sneak through air vents but failed because her rear end is too big chimes in to say "THERE ONCE WERE PEOPLE CALLED WITCHES. THE WITCHES HAD MYSTERIOUS POWERS. NOW NADIE AND ELLIS WILL LEARN OF THEIR CONNECTION... TO THE WITCHES"

(thinks of the one bee train anime i watched) that sounds like the pacing of .hack//sign and it did have lesbians

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

thanks wikipedia

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wasn't Bee Train the same studio that did the "Girls with Guns" shows and the Ryohgo Narita shows before the Durarara fellas split to their own studio? I think those are pretty cool.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
imo they should put that line about yuri fandom in kajiura's wikipedia 1st paragraph as well

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

speculatively ambiguous

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
*mid-season climax is ellis and nadie discovering the dark secrets of the past, reuniting and hugging each other tightly and thinking about how their relationship has grown since they first met as nadie decides she will protect ellis forever even if it costs her her life*

This is the power of speculatively ambiguous relationships.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Wark Say posted:

Wasn't Bee Train the same studio that did the "Girls with Guns" shows and the Ryohgo Narita shows before the Durarara fellas split to their own studio? I think those are pretty cool.

yeah Bee-Train did Noir, Madlax and El Cazador which range from interesting to very good (sometimes in the same show even). When I rewatched El Cazador recently I felt that a modern Bee Train show would actually be pretty neat till I realized that Princess Principal is very much that

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

there's only like 5 or 6 studios that have a strong enough house style that you can meaningfully judge them as a unit and gonzo is not one of them

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
that said, gonzo did have various problems with money and talent retention and its hard to shake the impression they left on people who knew of them as the studio that went bankrupt from their 00s projects

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Tales of Woe posted:

there's only like 5 or 6 studios that have a strong enough house style that you can meaningfully judge them as a unit and gonzo is not one of them

Now name them.

KyoAni, Ghibli, Shaft, Sunrise, Toei, IG?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Bones, Madhouse, Manglobe, Trigger (and Gainax before them).

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
studios can often have style retention from stuff handled in-house like their composition and effects. ufotable is the obvious one here but silver link has quite the team as well

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

kyoani, shaft, trigger, doga kobo, pa works are the ones i was thinking of but there's probably a couple others that fit that i just haven't seen multiple shows by.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Didn't Silver Link get Shin Oonuma as a chief director and he's sorta acted like a Shinbo-esque figure for 'em during the last decade?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

to some degree i'm sure consumption matters. its def muddied by the shaft exodus now, but davidpro i feel has fairly recognizable style when it comes to their effects animation. similarly you can see through-lines on toei stuff due to shared staff or animation/production techniques that spread to other shows.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yeah you can definitely identify some studios from the compositing if you've watched a ton of anime but i was talking more about at the directing level.

like i don't know that i could identify something as a silver link show based on the directing unless it's by the non non biyori/tanaka-kun guy. whereas trigger or shaft is instantly obvious regardless of which of their directors is on it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

oh wait nobody said gohands lmao

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It still boggles the mind that those shows look that way on purpose.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yes, good example, i will gladly judge gohands as a unit

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Wark Say posted:

Didn't Silver Link get Shin Oonuma as a chief director and he's sorta acted like a Shinbo-esque figure for 'em during the last decade?

yep yep though you don't quite see him credited on Everything now, he's definitely been that overseer/mentor type and was the driving force on the studio's formative years, and now they have an otaku-heavy image the way Shaft also earned.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Even Triggers output is all over the place

LWA and Gridman, but also Kiznaiver and Franxx

and then stuff like Ninja Slayer and Inferno Cop as well

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

they have as varied quality and variety of their output as mari okada

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tbf franxx was muddied as a studio co-production with a director who didn't really have a clear idea of what he was trying to write in the first place

kiznaiver sticks out worse cause i think it might be one of the weakest shows mari okada's ever written to the point i have no idea how it turned out as badly as it did

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i thought franxx had really awful art direction as well

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oh boy I wonder what Trigger's next show is going to be after they debuted with a super stylish show from one of the most distinctive directors in the industry

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
as a show on its own inou battle is just ok but few things are more interesting to me than seeing how a studio's creative identity shapes an random LN adaptation. klk is not one of those things.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

even with the studios you can pin consistent styles to, it's still just down to maintaining and focusing on in-house staff leading or maintaining relationships with particular creatives or support studios, so I'd still say factoring in the specific names and roles on a given project is important. with trigger what you can expect from a yoshinari-directed show is pretty different from one led by imaishi, to say nothing of an LN adaptation with neither involved, though there will be overlap due to ED assignments.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Feels basic but I cop w no shame to the fact the only non-short Trigger stuff I've ever vibed w that hard has been Imaishi's

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

coppelion actually looked good, as far as godhands go. like i actually liked that shows aesthetic

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

coppelion actually looked good, as far as godhands go. like i actually liked that shows aesthetic
Was that the "Esper girls do recon stuff on a Shin-Megami-Tensei-esque Japan" show?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wark Say posted:

Was that the "Esper girls do recon stuff on a Shin-Megami-Tensei-esque Japan" show?
it's less smt-esque, more fallout-esque. and its less recon, more search and rescue. otherwise yes

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Motto posted:

even with the studios you can pin consistent styles to, it's still just down to maintaining and focusing on in-house staff leading or maintaining relationships with particular creatives or support studios, so I'd still say factoring in the specific names and roles on a given project is important. with trigger what you can expect from a yoshinari-directed show is pretty different from one led by imaishi, to say nothing of an LN adaptation with neither involved, though there will be overlap due to ED assignments.

otoh a lot of their shows are a jumble of creative energies when it comes to episode direction and storyboarding, like even if x show has yoshinari's larger vision it'll still have an ep that's basically imaishi's, stuff like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

The Colonel posted:

You forgot the music-box theme the watch plays being brought out every 5 seconds or so.