Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

fknlo posted:

The ones below the body line are still the most visible by far. How much better can I get that? I feel like I went to town with UC to get that result.

Bear in mind that there is a finite layer of clear coat that you have to play with. Once you go through it'll look worse than that, so maybe it's good enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

honda whisperer posted:

Yeah.

I spent a couple years doing bucket washes at the diy car wash. It was ok and sucked at the same time. My only advice from the experience is don't sweat the small stuff and if you have a friend with a hose, use that a couple times a year for the through wash/clay/wax.

Was honestly the first time cleaning a car was fun for me. Feels like being nice to it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

fknlo posted:

The final result is slightly better than that

The ones below the body line are still the most visible by far. How much better can I get that? I feel like I went to town with UC to get that result.

Looks good, must feel rewarding. I'd stop at that point. You're chasing perfection that can result in going through the clear like MrOnBicycle pointed out.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrOnBicycle posted:

Bear in mind that there is a finite layer of clear coat that you have to play with. Once you go through it'll look worse than that, so maybe it's good enough.

Yeah, and I have no idea where the limit is in that regard. I'll try and get some pics that show the scratches better. They're definitely still there and noticeable, but it's obviously significantly better than before.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

fknlo posted:

Yeah, and I have no idea where the limit is in that regard. I'll try and get some pics that show the scratches better. They're definitely still there and noticeable, but it's obviously significantly better than before.

If it were me, I would go a bit more aggressive. But I am pretty cavalier with stuff. Stiffer pad and something like Meguiars M105. That will dull the area a bit and you will have to then use UC to start polishing it back up, but it'll take care of any scratches. Be careful though, at that level of product, you can do damage.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I got some better pics of the remaining scratches. You can definitely feel them. Thankfully they aren't super noticeable.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Ultimate Compound is pretty gentle, I think you can go deeper there. It is hard to be sure with a photo, but it looks like the scratches don't go completely through the clear. If they do, obviously don't try to go that deep to fix it.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
Thanks for the tip on the leatherique from last week. This stuff is legit. I'm doing second application now since these poor seats have been neglected so long and they're still pretty plasticky feeling. Hoping I can regain some more supple while in the garage massaging these nooks and crannies so lovingly.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Cool any before/after pics?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
For newer cars, I've been very impressed with colorlock products. I got the new car package for my car and I'm also using it on my cheap fake leather shoes (lol) with good results.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

smooth jazz posted:

Cool any before/after pics?

They are sadly not very dramatic visuals.

Before

After

I'm going to need to wait a while before any more applications since the last application didn't soak in as well. Oops. What's really holding back progress are these tears and some grime.

Next step is to see if I can blend in some leather paint into those tears. But the color match is a touch off (probably from 11 years of age) so it may backfire.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Colorlock has paint matched repair kits unless you already bought some.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I’ll also recommend a steam cleaner, especially for the stained stitching. The seats on my beater Merc looked worse than that when I got it, tons of grease and funk built up, and the steamer took it off like magic.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
Oooh that's a good idea. Especially for the stained seatbelt spots too, I bet.

So the second leatherique coat took 3 days to soak in/evaporate. Oops. I only discovered this when sitting in it after two days and sliding around on leftover oil. Gross. Directions advise you to park in the sun after application and yeah, should follow the directions.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Any advice from folks with correcting experience on how to stop chasing perfection?

I’ve been testing a bunch of different combos of machines, pads, and liquids on my car. Some work “ok”, but I still see what looks like water spots. I can’t feel them with my finger, so I don’t think I’m getting to them. Any ideas when to accept it and move on?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Build a water purifying set up if you’re that ocd about it

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Dumb question but you do tip commercial auto detailers who own their own business? I'm giving up on having the time to polish my wife's car, so I think I'm just going to pay a local moblie detailer to do a full correction on it.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I'm looking for a product recommendation/alternative. Last year I snagged a gallon of MEGUIAR'S D10801 Super Degreaser - 1 Gallon for $20. It's been a great degreaser and I recently ran out. When I saw the retail price I had to stop and ask is it really better than simple green or an alternative?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

the spyder posted:

I'm looking for a product recommendation/alternative. Last year I snagged a gallon of MEGUIAR'S D10801 Super Degreaser - 1 Gallon for $20. It's been a great degreaser and I recently ran out. When I saw the retail price I had to stop and ask is it really better than simple green or an alternative?

I have never needed anything other than Simple Green in a fairly-diluted version. However, strong Purple Power has its place, too.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Bape Culture posted:

Build a water purifying set up if you’re that ocd about it

Yeah it’s not from washing, it’s from a week out on the street with sun/sprinklers/rain.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Current opinion on good cheap wax/protection? I've used the Meguiars Ultimate synthetic wax in the past and it seemed fine (I love the whole Ultimate line). Helped detail a friend's car and used NuFinish, which was super easy to apply and remove. I've used Zymol carnuba in the past (made red paint look amazing), and had a brief affair with Zaino (liked the protection but had a "plastic" look to the gloss that wasn't as soft as carnuba).

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

When lazy I use griots spray wax. Works great.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If you like Meguiar's anyway, their hybrid ceramic spray wax is very good.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Turtle Wax Seal and Shine has kept me happy

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

DoubleT2172 posted:

Turtle Wax Seal and Shine has kept me happy

Reviewers love this one as well!

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

God, I've spent like three days dizzily reading through this thread because I just got a relatively new car and want to be better about taking care of it. So many loving suggestions.

I've always been good about washing/waxing but never properly, apparently? I guess I haven't really known any better but I've just used brushes on all my old cars, dried with towels, used spray wax between probably twice-yearly carnauba waxings. No polishing. I thought I was doing a good job lol :eng99:

Anyway, it's a solid black DD truck (both my wife and I drive solid colored cars) and I'm thinking of trying to piece together a good kit to be a bit more serious with keeping our cars clean. Hers is garaged, mine is not.

Any recommendations for a solid kit for unremarkable daily drivers? I'm not likely to be obsessively polishing and buffing but I'd like to take good care of it as best I can between kiddo and work stuff. Adams and Chemical Bros seem to have good kits. Are foam cannons really worth it, or is handwashing with a good wash mitt fine with good products?

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Don't sweat it OP, you're doing better than 90% of the car owning public. We're just all nit picky weirdos that try to min/max everything.

Any major brand of cleaning chemicals are going to be fine, it just boils down to personal preference. Get yourself some microfiber towels (Costco are good but I actually really like the waffle weave ones from the rag company) a couple of buckets and a grit guard. Foam cannons are fun but definitely not required.

The three must haves for me when doing any car are: aerospace 303 protectant, invisible glass glass cleaner and meguiars synthetic sealant 2.0. Good luck!

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Arson Daily posted:

The three must haves for me when doing any car are: aerospace 303 protectant, invisible glass glass cleaner and meguiars synthetic sealant 2.0. Good luck!

Perfect. Thanks for the advice. The 303 is the good poo poo for plastic trim and stuff right? My wife's car cladding has gone a little grey.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

LeeMajors posted:

Perfect. Thanks for the advice. The 303 is the good poo poo for plastic trim and stuff right? My wife's car cladding has gone a little grey.

Yes, it's awesome. For longer lasting results on plastic, try ceramic coatings. They are even more awesome.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

MrOnBicycle posted:

Yes, it's awesome. For longer lasting results on plastic, try ceramic coatings. They are even more awesome.

Ceramic coating on matte body cladding? I've never heard of that--i'll have to look into it.

Picked up a couple of buckets with grit guards, wash mitts, wheel brush, microfiber towels, Invisible Glass and some Meguiars Quik Detailer. I've been using Lucas speedwax between waxing and I've always used tins of Meguiars cleaner wax, so I'm still pretty stocked there.

Where are you guys getting the 303? I didn't see that while I was out--do you usually have to order?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

LeeMajors posted:

Ceramic coating on matte body cladding? I've never heard of that--i'll have to look into it.

I use it on all exterior plastics now. Both as preventative and as a darkening restorer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auZLxbbZ820

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Man where was this stuff when I still had my mk2 golf.
I tried everything back-to-black, peanut oil, shoe dye. It all always turned grey again after about a month.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

OH how is the Griots synthetic clay? I want to get a clay kit but it looks easier to use and doesn’t need to be tossed if you drop it.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I like it a lot and won't go back to regular clay

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

MomJeans420 posted:

I like it a lot and won't go back to regular clay

You've made up my mind.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yeah, it's a great product and i highly recommend it. i'm on my second one...i'm not sure it lasts as many cars as the packaging indicates but i did get a lot of use out of it.

so i'm fixing up a car to sell, its a 2006 altima with a fair number of chips (some of which are rusty) and dings, what is my best option for a colorchip repair? i dont want to spend toooooo much time fixing it, would prefer to get it flipped fast but im hoping theres a process that can repair these fast enough and without too much labor

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

Picked up a couple of buckets with grit guards, wash mitts, wheel brush, microfiber towels, Invisible Glass and some Meguiars Quik Detailer. I've been using Lucas speedwax between waxing and I've always used tins of Meguiars cleaner wax, so I'm still pretty stocked there.

Where are you guys getting the 303? I didn't see that while I was out--do you usually have to order?

I've seen it a couple times in auto stores. Never big box stores though. O'Riley's and pep boys are my usual stops. No idea about auto zone and advanced.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

303 is most often found in RV or boating stores since its main purpose is protecting gel coats on fiberglas.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

so i'm fixing up a car to sell, its a 2006 altima with a fair number of chips (some of which are rusty) and dings, what is my best option for a colorchip repair? i dont want to spend toooooo much time fixing it, would prefer to get it flipped fast but im hoping theres a process that can repair these fast enough and without too much labor

Last time I looked, Dr Colorchip had a set up where you would use a squeegee looking tool to go over rash. That’s if the damage is all grouped together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The thing you have to make peace with regarding the road rash products like that is it's never going to be a permanent fix. The damage isn't deep enough so there will never be enough layers of paint to really provide a good bond or to stand up to much in the way of mechanical action.

So, when you use that sort of stuff, correct the area first as much as you can (making sure to use a solvent of some sort to ensure that you remove all of the residue that you used to correct out of the pits), apply the stuff, let it cure, then hand apply sealant and leave it be. From that point only wash that area and hand apply sealant. The instant you it it with an orbital again to polish, you are going to pull all of that paint out and have to start over again.

Road rash is really more like tiny scratches or cracks than actual paint chips. You eye is catching the edge of the abraded material, not necessarily the base layer. So, all the paint is doing is providing a very thin color layer to the edges around the pit to make them blend in.

In general, any chip smaller than the head of an pencil eraser is going to be hard to fix permanently without having the whole panel resprayed. You can spot fix the stuff and make it pass the 10ft test, but it's not going to be durable.

Larger chips are easier in that respect as you can layer enough touch-up paint in to build up a close approximation of the original paint thickness which holds a lot better.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jul 29, 2020